• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:12
CEST 23:12
KST 06:12
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8545 users

[G] PvZ Gateway Forge - Page 2

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
ItsDrea
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia7 Posts
September 22 2011 06:53 GMT
#21
i cant believe how many people here cant see how much this build requires throwing your opponent off and reacting incorrect, this is a metagame build that leads into a fragile mid game where you cant scout or apply pressure or even take a 3rd safely....
Unless im missing something, in which case i would like to know
Alsa
Profile Joined September 2011
France10 Posts
September 22 2011 09:32 GMT
#22
for everyone who likes this guide i would recommend this one: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=259635

i think it's the same thought behind it. this one should be working better for maps like xel naga with open natural, the other one is working well with natural chokes.

as you will see in the other thread you re not behind in mid game (even without concrete damage),as you re very flexible.

and mostly this builds are fantastic fun, because it's not the passive protoss waiting in his base play

RRjr
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany40 Posts
September 22 2011 09:53 GMT
#23
Great guide. Main lesson I learned - also from Noumena's guide - is the fact that early +1 attack Zealots against Zerg are potentially game ending if he doesn't respond appropriately. They prevent heavy droning and take down queens. Both is huge for Zerg.

My midgame against Zerg in general has also become much better since I started dropping Zealots to snipe queens and possibly kill some drones. The implied damage from delayed / denied larva injects can spell doom for Zerg. With the shieldbuff to prisms this will be less risky now, too.
yeah.... whatever
Geo.Rion
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
7377 Posts
September 22 2011 10:03 GMT
#24
Gateway-forge indeed kills hatch first easily, but so does forge first in most situations, so Zergs barely ever hatch first.

I dislike the idea of playing a build which works mostly because the opponent gets confused and screws up. There are many players who do that, but because i meet the same players somewhat frequently i maybe lose the first one and i have an easier time in the upcoming games.

back to the build, i dont think double exping is even marginally logical vs gw forge, as it could be either a 1 base allin or a delayed canon exp. I would just scout the timings on your gases, and have a ling to check on your forge. If the forge is spinning 4gate +1 allin, if the gases are very fast then some sort of tech rush and i put down an evo.

If he shows intentions of exping, meaning tries to put pylon on low ground, doesnt have +1 in the forge, doesnt have quick gases, then you can expo again as Zerg or go for the ~26 drone roach-allin which will be a lot harder to hold off because the P doesnt have that 2 large buildings preventing the zerg forces to overrun him.

For example the screenshot of the Xel Naga game you put up shows a fairly juicy expo which could be easily busted with a well executed roach-ling-allin. You say zealot+canon does well vs roaches, well i dont know about that, and it surely gets overrun by the roach-ling atack i mentioned, if done correctly.
"Protoss is a joke" Liquid`Jinro Okt.1. 2011
Baseic
Profile Joined March 2011
Netherlands310 Posts
September 22 2011 11:44 GMT
#25
Glad I read this build, it's all about the wrong response, so from now I know how to respond.
(Actually lost to this once)
Etc.
tuestresfat
Profile Joined December 2010
2555 Posts
September 22 2011 12:21 GMT
#26
Interesting timings, the main concept seems to be from the good ol' 2gate rush/pressure into forge for turtle. except you get a much earlier forge for +1.
BackSlashZero
Profile Joined June 2010
Canada9 Posts
September 22 2011 13:14 GMT
#27
Personally, if I see a toss skip or delay core on one base I will bling bust them every time. I ran into a build similar to this on the ladder and it did indeed throw me for a loop the first time - you're right a lot of that has to do with the mindset of most Zergs (macro macro macro). However after that first time I haven't had significant problems with it since.

That said, its a good build with some significant potential but I wonder if you're not also falling into the trap of thinking like every other toss does ie: zergs don't use banes against toss early game
SelectStaR
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom129 Posts
September 22 2011 13:29 GMT
#28
Cheers man, will give this ago maybe tonight !
Lead By Example
Crow!
Profile Joined September 2011
United States150 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-22 14:23:08
September 22 2011 13:48 GMT
#29
Again, while I get so many bad responses from Zerg, I still do fine when they do respond correctly; I don't find this hinges on the bad response at all. Any Spine Crawler, ling, or Roach defense requires enough larva to be committed that as long as I get back to chrono boosting my Probes upon seeing no pressure incoming (provided I correctly read that there WAS no pressure coming), I come out at least evenly with the Zerg.

I've never been up against Spanishiwa style though - I could see mass Queens holding this without trouble while not tying up larva. But by the same token, seeing 4 queens should guarantee for me that I don't need cannons for a while (just like Spine Crawlers), so I should be able to tech up faster too. And if his gas is that late, I'm starting the game +1/+1 ahead, upgrade wise, which should make up for having a few fewer workers. But this is theorycraft.


@SergioCQH: I'd love to get some more games vs baneling busts! Those are always very exciting.

@HardMacro: from your description I think your build must have been very different from mine strategically - I get a Nexus up without stopping the Zealot production, at a timing where if Zerg is still droning he takes too much damage, and if not we arrive at the midgame with me at +1/+1 and one tech structure and him at one of: he's about to lose to my coming push from droning too much, or he's trying to take a third with an army, or he's on some form of lair tech. It's not auto-win for me, of course, but I just like the position; it fits my style.

Was your build a 3-gateway +1 weapons pressure with the same follow-up game plan? My build was like that a few iterations ago and in that version I had the problems you're talking about until I dropped the gateway count to 2 and set down my expansion pylon as the third pylon.

@ItsDrea: By the time you want to take a third, you have a good sized midgame +1/+1 army with Zealots, Stalkers, and either Immortals or Blink or Void Rays that you can use to secure it. The only way this army won't be big enough is if he never went for his second expo - in which case you can do 2 base vs 2 base with you having a head start on upgrades.

@Geo.Rion: I find the claim that I should beat Hatchery first pretty interesting - is the Zealot+Cannon rush effectively unstoppable in that case? I generally just go the economic route and delay my push for an earlier Nexus so I can keep up with the Zerg economically, and I usually consider this my weakest case rather than my best.

For Roach/ling, if your attack comes earlier than shown above there's going to be more cannons to deal with as your army continues to try to push (and a smaller army to start with on your side), while if the attack comes at that time or later there's going to be Immortals up before long. If I get caught unprepared I die, sure, but that's how strategy games are supposed to be.

@BackSlashZero: I've only lost to banelings once out of ~8 encounters. My attack hits the banelinger about the time the Banelings morph, putting us either in a base trade scenario which I find deals me less damage than the Zerg, or else he deals with my +1 Zealots with Baneling/Zergling, which is actually much less effective than you'd think, and this clears up enough of the initial attack for me to prepare spread out photon cannons in the natural and block the main with zealots spaced apart enough not to both die to banelings (if the map permits, anyway).
Jermstuddog
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2231 Posts
September 22 2011 14:05 GMT
#30
I really like the building placement at your ramp and the early Zealot pressure.

You could back off as far as demanding that things be all-in, just a small poke is plenty to secure at least equal economies.

Overall, it's a good start to a very solid standard opener vs Zerg.
As it turns out, marines don't actually cost any money -Jinro
stokes17
Profile Joined January 2011
United States1411 Posts
September 22 2011 14:13 GMT
#31
Not to discredit the OP's skill (I'm in the same boat) But do any of the blue posters have an opinion on this build/style? I'd be extremely interested in their thoughts.

Personally i think it looks interesting, but tech seems extremely slow. That cyber after expo delays not only WG/stalker/sentry but also robo/tc/sg tech route. Because of this slow tech I feel like a 2 base roach push would be very strong and force you into lots of cannons (which further delays everything) But idn I'm a nub. I'll def try it out I'll say that !

OT: very well constructed guide btw
Jermstuddog
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2231 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-22 14:19:06
September 22 2011 14:17 GMT
#32
On September 22 2011 23:13 stokes17 wrote:
Not to discredit the OP's skill (I'm in the same boat) But do any of the blue posters have an opinion on this build/style? I'd be extremely interested in their thoughts.

Personally i think it looks interesting, but tech seems extremely slow. That cyber after expo delays not only WG/stalker/sentry but also robo/tc/sg tech route. Because of this slow tech I feel like a 2 base roach push would be very strong and force you into lots of cannons (which further delays everything) But idn I'm a nub. I'll def try it out I'll say that !

OT: very well constructed guide btw


Tech is not notably slower due to the gateway before forge, it's slower due to the Zealots and +1, which is fine because you are forcing Zerg to deal with it by massing low-tier units himself.

There needs to be a solid poke at some point, whether it's with the 4 zealots or a half-hearted 4-gate, you NEED to push out to force some units (ex: walk your army up to his nat, build a pylon there, warp in a round of units, then return home).

Assuming you figure out the nuances to that, you should be in a much better position than standard FFE leaves you because your early aggression will have effectively denied a fast 3rd from Zerg.
As it turns out, marines don't actually cost any money -Jinro
ma70
Profile Joined October 2010
253 Posts
September 22 2011 14:39 GMT
#33
This is probably a great ladder build because:

#1. You probably won't re-play the opponents again. If they don't respond to this right the first time, there's your win.

#2. Zergs probably aren't used to early pressure that aren't 4 Gates.

But I'm willing to test this out against some of my practice partners....I'm only in Masters though so it won't mean much unless a blue poster does it
pg88
Profile Joined September 2011
1 Post
September 22 2011 14:47 GMT
#34
Quite an interesting guide, might try this variation.

I'm a rather average plat player doing a 4 gate + forge (just for the +1) with standard timing for gate and cyber and forge a little bit after which results in either me winning or being unable to expand due to a heavy roach presence... good to find something that addresses the issue and uses +1 earlier (I love it) that allows me to expand too
Dremic
Profile Joined May 2010
66 Posts
September 22 2011 15:41 GMT
#35
Props on this strategy though. When I play toss i get +1 lings everytime... for some reason all toss players think stalkers are there best unit (sorry for the generalization boys) thats just my experience. them zealots eat my lings up man. roaches are not an early game unit, theyre more mid game efficient so i usually wait to bust em out, these lots would give me troubles
Crow!
Profile Joined September 2011
United States150 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-22 16:20:49
September 22 2011 16:18 GMT
#36
On September 22 2011 23:47 pg88 wrote:
Quite an interesting guide, might try this variation.

I'm a rather average plat player doing a 4 gate + forge (just for the +1) with standard timing for gate and cyber and forge a little bit after which results in either me winning or being unable to expand due to a heavy roach presence... good to find something that addresses the issue and uses +1 earlier (I love it) that allows me to expand too


Yeah, that's how this build started - and when I was at that level, too! I was like "I HATE LINGS DIE DIE DIE", but I wound up with a build that was a total piece of cheese that couldn't secure an expo if I didn't win outright.

I got to high plat using a 3-gateway version with no core, and now I'm hanging out at high Diamond with 2 gates. Good luck!
Skyro
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1823 Posts
September 22 2011 16:21 GMT
#37
On September 22 2011 18:32 Alsa wrote:
for everyone who likes this guide i would recommend this one: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=259635

i think it's the same thought behind it. this one should be working better for maps like xel naga with open natural, the other one is working well with natural chokes.

as you will see in the other thread you re not behind in mid game (even without concrete damage),as you re very flexible.

and mostly this builds are fantastic fun, because it's not the passive protoss waiting in his base play



Yeah I've been using that noumena's guide on all maps you can FFE exclusively now and it is very solid, you just have to learn all the various timings that can hurt you. I've been curious if there was a 1-base version since I've been loving the heavy zealot early game and zealot/immortal mid-game in PvZ.

For a 1-base version banelings do seem like a big concern if you delay your core too much. If you FFE you can wall-off pretty easily making them require a large amount of banelings to bust it which gives you the time to throw down extra cannons and get some sentries up. The actual speed of teching is not as big of a concern to me because you are not making many sentries compared to a sentry expand so that makes up for a lot in terms of teching since you can channel more of your gas into teching instead of units.
WeaVerPrime
Profile Joined May 2011
34 Posts
September 22 2011 16:23 GMT
#38
I use a similar strategy... in few word is gate forge fast exp with zeloats to force lings by zergs.
Good Guide, nice explanation
Poo
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada536 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-22 17:06:56
September 22 2011 16:59 GMT
#39
Interesting idea - many protoss do a similar build off a forge FE that is slightly delayed, as you noted in your post. But, concerning your 1base version, I think the two main points readers need to be concerned with when using this are (two points that have been addressed to some degree, but, I'm just going to reiterate them and get to my point in bottom paragraph )

#1 - You're sacrificing early game sentries.
#2 - Your expansion is late.

Why is #1 an issue? I understand you have a forge, and you are also up an enclosed ramp in most scenarios - implying that you're likely safe from most cheeses. But, vs roach openers, I actually think the lack of sentries is quite an issue. Against players opening roach, I would imagine an early pressure + contain with roaches would actually put you behind significantly. You would lack FF to prevent roaches up ramp, you'd be unable to snipe floating OL's and it'd ultimately force an 'x' number of cannons depending on the situation. You'd likely end up more behind than you should be - if not dead.

But, then that really just becomes an issue of being dealt a bad build order from your opponent. So lets consider if there's no roach opener. Lets say you open up with 3-5 zealots with +1, you're cybernetics core is delayed and you're still low on early game sentries + the sentries you currently have lack energy. You take your late expansion (maybe with difficulty?=> further delay Since you lack sentries and stalkers), and again you're going to need to add probably about 2 cannons just to ensure you have some amount of safety. But again, the expansion is delayed. To catch up - you need to do significant damage with the +1 zealots and you need to ensure you have enough sentry energy to keep your cannons alive + prevent runbys. Totally possible, but, again it's not a guarantee. Be aware when using this build - to some degree even if you're not supposedly 'all-inning' with units, you are going to need to do a great deal of economic damage to become even with the zerg.

If you're alright with sacrificing early game sentries + safety vs zerg cheese, I actually feel your build is stronger off a Forge FE simply because there is no delayed expansion and I actually feel you're less economically behind and also the zergs defenses really dont differ a whole lot even if the attack is a full minute - 90 seconds later. Those +1 zealots are what actually stimulate any sort defense or reaction. Also forge fe opens up many transition windows unavailable to 1base gw+forge such as a really fast voidray, +3 colossus really quickly, +2 blink stalkers really quickly into a 3rd base off 5gw and other builds - too many to list. But remember, if you're attacking with +1 zealots you REALLY need to do some damage, or you're going to end up behind.





Try hard or don't try at all.
Connor987
Profile Joined September 2011
United Kingdom103 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-22 17:41:59
September 22 2011 17:40 GMT
#40
@stealthypoo not sure if you understand the intentions of this build, look at the replays, hes always ahead on workers after the attack with an expansion. tryed it 3 times now, won once from a complete mis-reaction and outmacroed them by a long way in the other 2, im only platinum but it will, at the very least make zergs think more about their ZvP play
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O107
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason140
BRAT_OK 46
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 937
ZZZero.O 107
Hyun 41
Bale 21
League of Legends
Doublelift3576
JimRising 464
Counter-Strike
Fnx 957
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby6279
Other Games
summit1g8460
FrodaN3145
B2W.Neo625
ToD282
KnowMe243
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1499
BasetradeTV280
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream38
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 40
• musti20045 20
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki27
• blackmanpl 14
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1369
• Shiphtur224
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
1h 48m
Afreeca Starleague
12h 48m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
13h 48m
Monday Night Weeklies
18h 48m
Replay Cast
1d 1h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 12h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 13h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.