• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:31
CEST 03:31
KST 10:31
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7615 users

OGN to release AI-upscaled StarLeague from Feb 24

Forum Index > BW General
77 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
jinjin5000
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1559 Posts
February 23 2025 05:22 GMT
#1
Scheduled to be from 1999 Korea open to 2012 tving StarLeague

They already have bunch of ai-upscaled videos up on channel on select big games, but they are really going to go into remastering entire run.

Announcement post: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKDkGnyeib7mcU7LdD3x0jQ/community?lb=UgkxpAl3gzEymGgntclznRIEwMhL9n_NsVag

Playlist of current AI-upscales: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWQeRMoEALvqNJfmUx0P_h7NXr8MwjdAb
Facebook Twitter Reddit
LUCKY_NOOB
Profile Blog Joined June 2013
Bulgaria1601 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-02-23 00:26:00
February 23 2025 00:25 GMT
#2
Hell, it's about time! Great news! Peak nostalgia.
ko-fi.com/luckynoob
NukeTheStars
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States278 Posts
February 23 2025 00:47 GMT
#3
Horrible.

I noticed them doing this months ago and was deeply disappointed by it. A.I.-upscaling, especially the way OGN has used it, makes the games look like some kind of smeary, strange Freddy Krueger nightmare. It makes me literally physically ill to look at it, and I think anybody who considers this a "remaster" needs to reevaluate their standards.

The strange thing is, I'm not even sure why they're doing this. While the quality of recordings for most old games on their YouTube channel isn't great, I know higher quality versions of the recordings must exist, right? There were streams in pretty darn good quality back in the day. I know this because, for a time, I received stream recordings from Baezzi that were very nice, and they still look nice on my channel like 15 years later.

Maybe OGN has lost their recorded archive? I don't get it.

LUCKY_NOOB
Profile Blog Joined June 2013
Bulgaria1601 Posts
February 23 2025 00:55 GMT
#4
On February 23 2025 09:47 NukeTheStars wrote:
Horrible.

I noticed them doing this months ago and was deeply disappointed by it. A.I.-upscaling, especially the way OGN has used it, makes the games look like some kind of smeary, strange Freddy Krueger nightmare. It makes me literally physically ill to look at it, and I think anybody who considers this a "remaster" needs to reevaluate their standards.

The strange thing is, I'm not even sure why they're doing this. While the quality of recordings for most old games on their YouTube channel isn't great, I know higher quality versions of the recordings must exist, right? There were streams in pretty darn good quality back in the day. I know this because, for a time, I received stream recordings from Baezzi that were very nice, and they still look nice on my channel like 15 years later.

Maybe OGN has lost their recorded archive? I don't get it.



Long time no see! I've actually thought if they have the replays they could load em in Remastered and have software track and match movement of the observer so we get actual beautiful Remastered without having to manually observe a game. If AI becomes cheaper then maybe a better trained model can just match things closer to Remastered. It doesn't look great ur right I just saw a bit... Still I'm glad it's not totally forgotten. ^_._^
ko-fi.com/luckynoob
Zergxhx
Profile Joined November 2020
China222 Posts
February 23 2025 01:57 GMT
#5
For a moment I thought OGN was going to hold a new StarLeague
GTR
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
51694 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-02-23 02:51:50
February 23 2025 02:47 GMT
#6
not a fan of their upscaling technique. the best quality are the original cable broadcasts that aren't compressed bitrate wise but i highly doubt that they have those lying around.
Commentator
Chris_Havoc
Profile Joined August 2016
United States600 Posts
February 23 2025 03:40 GMT
#7
I think some will be in for a shock when they release the updated VoDs for the 1999 Tooniverse Open. The "Alien" chairs, the weird costumes & set design, and just how unrefined the meta was.
Owner of the SC2 Esports Anthology channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/SC2EsportsAnthology
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
February 23 2025 06:04 GMT
#8
On February 23 2025 09:47 NukeTheStars wrote:
Horrible.

I noticed them doing this months ago and was deeply disappointed by it. A.I.-upscaling, especially the way OGN has used it, makes the games look like some kind of smeary, strange Freddy Krueger nightmare. It makes me literally physically ill to look at it, and I think anybody who considers this a "remaster" needs to reevaluate their standards.

The strange thing is, I'm not even sure why they're doing this. While the quality of recordings for most old games on their YouTube channel isn't great, I know higher quality versions of the recordings must exist, right? There were streams in pretty darn good quality back in the day. I know this because, for a time, I received stream recordings from Baezzi that were very nice, and they still look nice on my channel like 15 years later.

Maybe OGN has lost their recorded archive? I don't get it.



Yeah can confirm these look awful
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
kAra
Profile Joined September 2004
Germany1465 Posts
February 23 2025 07:23 GMT
#9
i guess after 4 to 6 beers this could be almost watchable?
mada mada dane
GTR
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
51694 Posts
February 23 2025 08:10 GMT
#10
On February 23 2025 12:40 Chris_Havoc wrote:
I think some will be in for a shock when they release the updated VoDs for the 1999 Tooniverse Open. The "Alien" chairs, the weird costumes & set design, and just how unrefined the meta was.


they're already on youtube, check out the amazing vhs quality recordings!

Commentator
KameZerg
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Sweden1776 Posts
February 23 2025 09:46 GMT
#11
They should just release all the replays so we can look at them in SC:R mode graphics
asdasdasdasdasd123123123
Chris_Havoc
Profile Joined August 2016
United States600 Posts
February 23 2025 11:03 GMT
#12
On February 23 2025 18:46 KameZerg wrote:
They should just release all the replays so we can look at them in SC:R mode graphics


That would require OGN to still have the old replays on file, which I rather doubt they do for the oldest events.
Owner of the SC2 Esports Anthology channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/SC2EsportsAnthology
LUCKY_NOOB
Profile Blog Joined June 2013
Bulgaria1601 Posts
February 23 2025 12:50 GMT
#13
On February 23 2025 17:10 GTR wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 23 2025 12:40 Chris_Havoc wrote:
I think some will be in for a shock when they release the updated VoDs for the 1999 Tooniverse Open. The "Alien" chairs, the weird costumes & set design, and just how unrefined the meta was.


they're already on youtube, check out the amazing vhs quality recordings!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pRiCqMQtnI&list=PLR3ZiNqGs0OTpIWg6Nm1H3dXVsGRAtufy&index=2


Lel... This is way worse than the new upscale. Both for the eyes and ears. ^_._^
ko-fi.com/luckynoob
tankgirl
Profile Blog Joined May 2016
Canada533 Posts
February 23 2025 12:52 GMT
#14
this makes me miss the 1990s

veto 9/11

veto apple iphone

veto covid

veto all the wars

veto AI

life was good
https://tl.net/forum/brood-war/627255-progamer-settings
TL+ Member
LML
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
Germany1794 Posts
February 23 2025 13:01 GMT
#15
idk what everyone is whining about. it looks a lot better than the other videos of that time on YT.
Also releasing the replays won't help you much with watching them in SCR, as they won't work. You'd have to switch an old version of BW to the version used in the replay to watch it.
LML
Freezard
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
Sweden1030 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-02-23 13:25:55
February 23 2025 13:25 GMT
#16
Thank you OGN for preserving SC history! Watched a little and the quality looks good. Just needs some organization.
_Zephyre_
Profile Joined October 2024
France16 Posts
February 23 2025 13:31 GMT
#17
That's awesome!

The result itself is far from ideal, but it's awesome that OGN shows love for the game, & the idea is awesome.
Also, quite frankly, it's perfectly watchable, much more than the old 240p content.

Let's just hope we eventually get better upscaling
LUCKY_NOOB
Profile Blog Joined June 2013
Bulgaria1601 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-02-23 14:33:21
February 23 2025 14:12 GMT
#18
On February 23 2025 22:01 LML wrote:
idk what everyone is whining about. it looks a lot better than the other videos of that time on YT.
Also releasing the replays won't help you much with watching them in SCR, as they won't work. You'd have to switch an old version of BW to the version used in the replay to watch it.


I don't know the extent to which that is actually true. Here is a working replay from 2001 when replays were introduced.

(I skipped through another longer replay and there were mine idle workers at the main nexus with minerals still unmined which is a clear sign of a broken/incompatible replay)

Maybe some1 with 1.08 or later install up to 1.16.1 can check the replay and see if it matches with the remastered.

I also guess there is a way to make a RepFix for remastered if the need arises.

https://repmastered.icza.net/?page=6&from=1969-01-23&to=2001-01-23

[image loading]
ko-fi.com/luckynoob
LML
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
Germany1794 Posts
February 23 2025 14:56 GMT
#19
On February 23 2025 23:12 LUCKY_NOOB wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 23 2025 22:01 LML wrote:
idk what everyone is whining about. it looks a lot better than the other videos of that time on YT.
Also releasing the replays won't help you much with watching them in SCR, as they won't work. You'd have to switch an old version of BW to the version used in the replay to watch it.


I don't know the extent to which that is actually true. Here is a working replay from 2001 when replays were introduced.

(I skipped through another longer replay and there were mine idle workers at the main nexus with minerals still unmined which is a clear sign of a broken/incompatible replay)

Maybe some1 with 1.08 or later install up to 1.16.1 can check the replay and see if it matches with the remastered.

I also guess there is a way to make a RepFix for remastered if the need arises.

https://repmastered.icza.net/?page=6&from=1969-01-23&to=2001-01-23


colour me surprised. I'd have expected it to be pretty broken or incompatible since there was a version changer program back in the day so people could watch replays from older versions without issues.
LML
Soft_General_5023
Profile Joined December 2023
151 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-02-23 16:41:11
February 23 2025 16:34 GMT
#20
On February 23 2025 12:40 Chris_Havoc wrote:
I think some will be in for a shock when they release the updated VoDs for the 1999 Tooniverse Open. The "Alien" chairs, the weird costumes & set design, and just how unrefined the meta was.


damn


[image loading]


imgur.com



1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings65
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 147
RuFF_SC2 104
ProTech59
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15722
Rain 2258
Artosis 570
NaDa 16
Bale 15
League of Legends
Doublelift3503
Counter-Strike
taco 388
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox600
Mew2King105
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor972
Other Games
summit1g8555
Day[9].tv691
JimRising 558
PiGStarcraft316
C9.Mang0261
ViBE49
ArmadaUGS45
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV228
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream102
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 156
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP62
• Letter144
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv691
• Scarra560
• Shiphtur200
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
11h 30m
OSC
20h 30m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 8h
Online Event
1d 9h
FEL
1d 14h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 15h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 17h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.