• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:57
CEST 17:57
KST 00:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)47Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7902 users

Scared to Play

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 Next All
KinD
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada4 Posts
August 12 2010 05:10 GMT
#1
Hey everyone, I don't know if you guys can help or give some words of advice/encouragement, but I've been following Team Liquid for a while now and have been in the beta and now own the game. But I'm so frustratingly afraid to press the Find Game button. I'm pretty confident in my ability to play, I'd guess I'm at low Platinum level, pretty decently. I want to become better, but for some reason, I can't sit down and play. Does it get easier? Am i just crazy? I want to improve, but it just seems so terrifying. I don't get angry when I lose, and am a pretty well mannered player, so I just don't get it. Can someone tell me how to get myself to just play the game?-_- Thanks.
InfiniteIce
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States794 Posts
August 12 2010 05:14 GMT
#2
relevant thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=135235

Also, JUST GO PLAY. Just say "fuck it".

Lose on purpose. Do something completely stupid. Just bunker rush, or proxy pylon, or offensive hatchery for 3 games.

Get that fear of losing out of the way. Even though you're confident, and you don't get angry at a loss, if you KNEW you were going to win, you would obviously be playing.

Go lose a few on purpose, without just suiciding 6 workers right off the bat. So just go do some stupid strats, get those jitters out of the way, then when you're sick of losing, go win!!!
i keep going back to my response to chill's fake PM and laughing, then immediately getting a feeling that i assume i'd get if i had an orgasm and the girl said "hahaha guess what i have a dick" -FakeSteve
VTArlock
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States1763 Posts
August 12 2010 05:14 GMT
#3
Step 1) Hover mouse over the button
Step 2) close your eyes
Step 3) click the left button on your mouse
Step 4) dont move a muscle until you hear the coundown
Step 5) Open your eyes and enjoy

Theres really no pressure man. Battle.net places you against people in or around your own skill level. Just enjoy it, if your screw it up and lose, repeat the steps and do it again. You can only get better by playing, practice means EXPERIENCE!

Enjoy bro
Why?
moopie
Profile Joined July 2009
12605 Posts
August 12 2010 05:15 GMT
#4
If you are hesitant to run 1v1s, find a friend and run 2v2/3v3/4v4. If you have a good group, team laddering often ends up pretty fun.
I'm going to sleep, let me get some of that carpet.
nira
Profile Joined April 2010
United States116 Posts
August 12 2010 05:15 GMT
#5
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=142780

try that and the links in the thread
SyN_FiR3
Profile Joined May 2010
United States85 Posts
August 12 2010 05:15 GMT
#6
it happens to pretty much everyone. just pick a day and tell yourself you will sit down and play x amount of games... and if you are losing too many in arow just take a break or try it again the next day... you will always win some lose some, when the goal becomes getting better regardless of winning, that's when it should be easier to play ^-^
"How 'bout changin' a line cause it don't make sense..."
MrJizz35
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada6 Posts
August 12 2010 05:16 GMT
#7
Well.. not much I can say here. Just get into man.. sometimes i have that type caution before I enter ladders but once I get the blood flowing and I'm warmed up I'm fine. and don't worry about losing or being surprised you'll only get better learning what happened and what you can do better. In order to be a better player(like you want to be), you have to play... nothing much I can say. Try with some customs first and once u get over that, maybe play one ladder and come back to customs if your still not comfortable playing ladder.
kyama
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States118 Posts
August 12 2010 05:16 GMT
#8
Try to play for fun and not about your stats. I think that should help you, that's what helped me.
Let them hate, So as long as they fear...
T0fuuu
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Australia2275 Posts
August 12 2010 05:16 GMT
#9
dodge 1v1 and come play 2v2 or 3v3. Until you get cheesed hard and want to play 1v1 again. Lol
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
August 12 2010 05:18 GMT
#10
dude, losing is how you improve

be a man! (even if you're a woman)
G3nXsiS
Profile Joined July 2009
United States656 Posts
August 12 2010 05:18 GMT
#11
Yeah I know what you mean man, my suggestion would be to get a friend or something and compete with him on score and ranks. Don't be scared to lose games just know that everytime you lose you get better and it gives you a higher chance to go on large winning streaks.
Hope is the first step on the road to dissapointment
Gnax
Profile Joined June 2010
Sweden490 Posts
August 12 2010 05:18 GMT
#12
losing on purpose sounds stupid. My suggestion is before you're gonna que, listen to some pump-up music and tell yourself "come on you can do this, you're the man! you're the best sc2 player in the world LETS DO THIIIIIIIIIIS!"
virgozero
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada412 Posts
August 12 2010 05:19 GMT
#13
On August 12 2010 14:14 TheComeback wrote:
Step 1) Hover mouse over the button
Step 2) close your eyes
Step 3) click the left button on your mouse
Step 4) dont move a muscle until you hear the coundown
Step 5) Open your eyes and enjoy


STICKY PLS
muse5187
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
1125 Posts
August 12 2010 05:19 GMT
#14
Man just click it! Once the countdown starts you have no choice but to destroy your opponent!
epik640x
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1134 Posts
August 12 2010 05:20 GMT
#15
Why care so much?

It's only a human at the other end.
Defeat
Profile Joined March 2010
United States476 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-12 05:33:28
August 12 2010 05:21 GMT
#16
On August 12 2010 14:10 KinD wrote:
Hey everyone, I don't know if you guys can help or give some words of advice/encouragement, but I've been following Team Liquid for a while now and have been in the beta and now own the game. But I'm so frustratingly afraid to press the Find Game button. I'm pretty confident in my ability to play, I'd guess I'm at low Platinum level, pretty decently. I want to become better, but for some reason, I can't sit down and play. Does it get easier? Am i just crazy? I want to improve, but it just seems so terrifying. I don't get angry when I lose, and am a pretty well mannered player, so I just don't get it. Can someone tell me how to get myself to just play the game?-_- Thanks.


I know exactly what you mean. I'm in exactly the same situation.

For me it's just because I've never been able to play games online since I've got horrible internet. SC2 is the first RTS game that I've actually cared to play seriously with. That and I've never played on an online ladder. What I've boiled it down to is that I'm afraid I'll actually do bad. What I'm trying to do is get myself to just sit down one day and play for a long time so I can get over that feeling.
"the metagame has really evolved to the point where the best chance to win the metagame is to game the metagame" -Bags
kzn
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States1218 Posts
August 12 2010 05:21 GMT
#17
An answer that departs from the "just play, dude" answer:

Play 2v2/3v3. Its much easier (at least for me) to lose a game in 2v2/3v3 and be like "oh well I should have done that lets play again) - and you can still focus on practicing certain things, like macro/micro or smoothing out build orders etc.

And the avatars are cooler from team games.
Like a G6
Mindcrime
Profile Joined July 2004
United States6899 Posts
August 12 2010 05:23 GMT
#18
come play some unranked ffas!

:D
That wasn't any act of God. That was an act of pure human fuckery.
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
August 12 2010 05:23 GMT
#19
On August 12 2010 14:20 epik640x wrote:
Why care so much?

It's only a human at the other end.


i think that's exactly why

no one wants to feel inferior

which means that the player is putting too much emphasis on winning and not enough emphasis on the process of getting there
The_Pacifist
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States540 Posts
August 12 2010 05:24 GMT
#20
On August 12 2010 14:21 kzn wrote:
And the avatars are cooler from team games.


I will never understand why the best avatars weren't reserved for 1v1...
1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 2
Serral vs herO
Solar vs Shino
Maru vs Clem
SHIN vs GgMaChine
IntoTheiNu 1245
ComeBackTV 594
SteadfastSC477
TaKeTV 413
LamboSC2345
IndyStarCraft 168
Rex136
EnkiAlexander 45
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
13:00
King of the Hill #263
EmpressLilyy21
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 477
LamboSC2 345
mouzHeroMarine 194
IndyStarCraft 168
ProTech152
Rex 136
BRAT_OK 60
UpATreeSC 35
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 37426
Shuttle 1946
Mini 872
EffOrt 863
Light 578
Horang2 496
Soma 302
Rush 300
firebathero 290
Snow 194
[ Show more ]
BeSt 170
ZerO 163
hero 128
Leta 112
Sea.KH 57
sorry 55
Killer 44
Liquid`Ret 38
Mong 34
Yoon 33
ToSsGirL 31
Shinee 28
Sexy 27
Bale 21
Trap 20
soO 17
Shine 17
Free 12
Sacsri 10
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
Terrorterran 8
Noble 5
Dota 2
Gorgc8349
qojqva1206
Dendi986
420jenkins150
Counter-Strike
fl0m1095
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor2239
crisheroes1289
XaKoH 202
MindelVK6
Other Games
singsing1882
B2W.Neo1055
Liquid`VortiX206
Hui .190
ArmadaUGS164
QueenE107
KnowMe74
Mew2King71
Trikslyr48
ToD41
ZerO(Twitch)13
Dewaltoss1
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream79
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 5
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile122
• Gemini_19 19
• Kozan
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• intothetv
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 13
• FirePhoenix12
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2777
• TFBlade1045
Other Games
• Shiphtur220
• WagamamaTV195
Upcoming Events
OSC
8h 3m
Stellar Fest
21h 3m
OSC
1d 6h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 18h
Online Event
1d 19h
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.