• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:37
CEST 21:37
KST 04:37
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8864 users

Scared to Play - Page 9

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 7 8 9 All
Zocat
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany2229 Posts
August 16 2010 20:41 GMT
#161
I finally managed to complete my placement matches, and I hope the fear of playing will stop.
I somehow pressured myself into a "you need to be good, because all your friends, which you beat consistently, are in gold/platinum" mindset. And I was scared I'd be placed in a low league (like bronze).

What I did to do the placement matches: Alcohol. I drunk 4 bottles of beer and just played all 5 placement matches. No fear of loosing thanks to the alc
anon195
Profile Joined August 2010
15 Posts
August 16 2010 22:07 GMT
#162
same with me, got to platinum, i really enjoy watching live streams for hours, but i only play like 2-3 games per day. it's not that i am bored or scared, i don't know. i just want to play but i just can't press the find match button
exarchrum
Profile Joined August 2010
United States491 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-16 22:18:54
August 16 2010 22:16 GMT
#163
I have the exact same feeling. I can play 2v2s all day/night. I watch tons of replays & videos, but I'm very reluctant to play 1v1. Perhaps a beer or two might help I'm only a high gold player right now. My lack of fundamentals often loses me the game so conventional thinking would say playing more would help the fundamentals but theres a deep reluctance. Its a very similar feeling to stage fright for me.

Edit: @ Zocat, just read your post. I tried playing after having like four beers and was so sloppy with my mechanics! I had to stop myself from playing.
justin.tv/exarch watch me play!
RoarMan
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada745 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-16 22:22:59
August 16 2010 22:22 GMT
#164
I think one of the best ways to not be afraid to play is NEVER EVER LOOK AT YOUR RANK OR WIN/RATIO. Although I've never done so per-say..

I was in a huge slump and deathly afraid to play, but I convinced myself that if I'm scared of playing Starcraft 2 because of Win/Lose, I'm not enjoying the game. So I did
Step 1) Hover mouse over the button
Step 2) close your eyes
Step 3) click the left button on your mouse
Step 4) dont move a muscle until you hear the coundown
Step 5) Open your eyes and enjoy


I kind of stopped caring about my rank in the division and have continued to play to improve my skills, after all your rank is an evaluation of your skill, not the other way around.

glandhf :D
All the pros got dat Ichie.
TheRealPaciFist
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States1049 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-16 23:38:06
August 16 2010 23:37 GMT
#165
Scared to play? Do silly funny stupid strats like say... play zerg, do a usual early expo build, but instead of expanding, block your own chokepoint/ramp (not completely) with an early hatch. =P
Second favorite strategy game of all time: Starcraft. First: Go (aka Wei Qi, Paduk, or Igo)
accaris
Profile Joined May 2010
98 Posts
August 16 2010 23:41 GMT
#166
Once you realize that most online players are terrible, the fear starts to go away.
ecDIESEL
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States132 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-17 17:16:08
August 17 2010 17:14 GMT
#167
On August 17 2010 07:22 RoarMan wrote:
I think one of the best ways to not be afraid to play is NEVER EVER LOOK AT YOUR RANK OR WIN/RATIO. Although I've never done so per-say..

I was in a huge slump and deathly afraid to play, but I convinced myself that if I'm scared of playing Starcraft 2 because of Win/Lose, I'm not enjoying the game. So I did
Show nested quote +
Step 1) Hover mouse over the button
Step 2) close your eyes
Step 3) click the left button on your mouse
Step 4) dont move a muscle until you hear the coundown
Step 5) Open your eyes and enjoy


I kind of stopped caring about my rank in the division and have continued to play to improve my skills, after all your rank is an evaluation of your skill, not the other way around.

glandhf :D


This is how I get too. When I play games that show your win/lose ratio or your ranking, especially when it's right on the front of your profile for everyone to see, I tend to get nervous and play less because I don't want people to think I'm terrible.

I didn't play any games for like a week after I finished my placement matches because I went 5-0 and got into platinum. I got stuck thinking "this is the best it's ever going to be. I've got 5 games and 5 wins and I'm actually in platinum." Eventually though I just convince myself that I don't care if I drop out of platinum and play anyway.
Tropics
Profile Joined August 2007
United Kingdom1132 Posts
August 17 2010 17:18 GMT
#168
i always just said fuck it and go when i had a problem with this

when i got into a solid rhythm with it it was much easier to just keep playing, anytime it took a long time to search or i alt tabbed to check something or anything like that it killed my flow and my will to play
nka203
Profile Joined May 2010
United States102 Posts
August 17 2010 19:39 GMT
#169
best players aren't the ones who have a solid winning streak, it's the ones who mess around and try innovative things.

Do new and stupid things, see what works and what doesn't and eventually you'll know so many things that work you'll move up the ladder in no time. My buddy at lan party (both mid-level diamond players) beat me with 8 infestors spamming infested terrans over my sentries' forcefields. I had never seen that before so I just laughed and said gg. Then I realized the game is more fun when people are always trying stupid things.
i love cake
jinorazi
Profile Joined October 2004
Korea (South)4948 Posts
August 17 2010 21:15 GMT
#170
sucks i can't have my sc1 record of 50 wins and 2000 losses (do stupid things and not worry about losing, leave when i know i've won) thanks to being limited to one name
with that said, i've played over 100 custom games (income/nexus wars, money map) and only 30 league games lol
i got into diamond and been taking a break, playing random 3s or 2, 3s with friends.

i gotta rid of my "need to win" since my record is presented, its hard to do with a competitive mind
age: 84 | location: california | sex: 잘함
Aeroz135
Profile Joined August 2010
48 Posts
August 17 2010 21:43 GMT
#171
i used to have the "scared to hit find match" syndrome and just said fuck it, its better to keep up with current state of the game by actually experiencing it and learning off it, i mean christ i got 7gated into a 2gate by a toss on steppes and lost/raged because i did a 14gas/14pool build as zerg and wasnt expecting it at all and when i scouted it i was just like...fuck, but at least now i know my mistakes and it should be a much easier clean up next time, doubt ill ever see this strat again though but if i didnt hit that find match button i never wouldve experienced it :p
KillerPlague
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1386 Posts
August 17 2010 21:44 GMT
#172
i'm kinda the same way. just play a game then watch the replay. maybe take a lil break and do it over again. doesn't get much easier =P
Side 1: Why no dominant players with 90% win ratio Side 2: Nerf Side 1
sage_francis
Profile Joined December 2006
France1823 Posts
August 17 2010 22:11 GMT
#173
On August 12 2010 14:14 TheComeback wrote:
Step 1) Hover mouse over the button
Step 2) close your eyes
Step 3) click the left button on your mouse
Step 4) dont move a muscle until you hear the coundown
Step 5) Open your eyes and enjoy


I just realize i was loosing all my games cause i inverted steps 5 and 2...
Cocacooh
Profile Joined August 2010
Norway1510 Posts
August 17 2010 22:13 GMT
#174
I had the same problem as OP. I'm new to rts and I play random. I find practicing my early game builds against the computer really helpfull, getting your timing right etc. Heck playing P vs a very hard/insane T is allmost as hard as playing a plat T on the ladder!

Play to get better and have fun, not to win(though winning usally makes stuff more fun)!
Tritonus
Profile Joined August 2010
Denmark125 Posts
August 17 2010 22:55 GMT
#175
I have the exact same fear. I just rolled random as I got into platinum league, and that has definitely worsened my fear. I think I might practice some more terran before I push "play" on random again :>
Prev 1 7 8 9 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#2 - $100
LiquipediaDiscussion
AI Arena Tournament
02:00
Swiss - Round 4
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason80
BRAT_OK 67
Railgan 1
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 21101
Mini 369
Dewaltoss 160
Hyuk 145
firebathero 116
ggaemo 97
ZZZero.O 73
Terrorterran 3
Dota 2
Gorgc7988
febbydoto13
League of Legends
Doublelift1382
Counter-Strike
fl0m1195
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4387
Khaldor1305
crisheroes952
Liquid`Hasu869
Other Games
summit1g3101
FrodaN2467
Beastyqt800
KnowMe301
mouzStarbuck297
ArmadaUGS123
Mew2King61
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1148
BasetradeTV184
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream49
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• printf 89
• Adnapsc2 23
• Letter143
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 51
• 80smullet 23
• Azhi_Dahaki11
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 8185
• WagamamaTV444
Other Games
• imaqtpie820
• Shiphtur261
• tFFMrPink 17
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
14h 23m
INu's Battles
16h 23m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
19h 23m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
23h 23m
BSL Open Qualifier
23h 23m
Replay Cast
1d 3h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 14h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 15h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 20h
Replay Cast
2 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
6 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.