• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:08
CEST 16:08
KST 23:08
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)69Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror mca64Launcher 2.0
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8366 users

Mechanical Keyboard Guide - Page 143

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 141 142 143 144 145 383 Next
Sovano
Profile Joined November 2011
United States1503 Posts
May 28 2012 17:30 GMT
#2841
On May 29 2012 02:20 Alryk wrote:
Has anybody found a CM Storm quickfire rapid brown switch? The tenkeyless version for about ~80$. I have no issue finding blues and to a lesser extent blacks, but I would really like the brown version. This is the only one I found, but it's out of stock now. They do have the numpad version for 98$ or so. Would that be worth it? Or are there any equally good keyboards in that range?

Edit: In the event that it just isn't available:

Rosewill for 94$ or Numpad version of the CM Storm for 98$?

Unless this ducky is equally good?

Try this.
http://www.cmstore-usa.com/quickfire-rapid-mechanical-gaming-keyboard/
You can select from blue, black, and brown switches. Though it's $85 on the CM website.

I can't say much about Rosewill or Ducky since I've never owned either, but judging from reviews they would still seem to be some solid choices for your price range.
Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-28 18:23:25
May 28 2012 17:30 GMT
#2842
Awesome, thank you very much!

If only they took paypal

Double edit: They do!
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
moltenlead
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada866 Posts
May 28 2012 23:08 GMT
#2843
My budget is technically unlimited, but anything more expensive than $135 (Das Silent Edition) would require a lot of persuasion.

I was thinking of getting a mechanical keyboard for university, so it has to be quiet-ish, and the primary use would be typing, with gaming a distant second.

Since I live in Canada, one of the easiest ones for me to obtain would be the Das Silent edition, with the Cherry MX Brown off amazon.ca .

I was wondering whether you guys had any other suggestions? I've looked around but couldn't find a place where Ducky is readily accessible, and my current keyboard that was given to me (Razer Marauder) is absolute trash, so I'm avoiding the BlackWidow (unless it's different).

I think that I'm leaning towards the Cherry MX Brown switches since they seem to have good typing and don't sound like gunshots.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Also, how did you guys learn touch typing? I'm interested in learning but I just don't know the best way to do it (probably around 50-60 WPM atm).
exousia_7
Profile Joined December 2011
Taiwan215 Posts
May 29 2012 00:02 GMT
#2844
On May 29 2012 08:08 moltenlead wrote:
My budget is technically unlimited, but anything more expensive than $135 (Das Silent Edition) would require a lot of persuasion.

I was thinking of getting a mechanical keyboard for university, so it has to be quiet-ish, and the primary use would be typing, with gaming a distant second.

Since I live in Canada, one of the easiest ones for me to obtain would be the Das Silent edition, with the Cherry MX Brown off amazon.ca .

I was wondering whether you guys had any other suggestions? I've looked around but couldn't find a place where Ducky is readily accessible, and my current keyboard that was given to me (Razer Marauder) is absolute trash, so I'm avoiding the BlackWidow (unless it's different).

I think that I'm leaning towards the Cherry MX Brown switches since they seem to have good typing and don't sound like gunshots.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Also, how did you guys learn touch typing? I'm interested in learning but I just don't know the best way to do it (probably around 50-60 WPM atm).


Ok GOOD! At least you know Razer keyboards suck. There are many good Cherry MX Brown keyboards, you can browse through this thread and check out any keyboards people recommend and for good prices. The Das itself is really good, and even though it's pricey, with Das it's "you get what you pay."

As for touch tying, just type. LOL. Type to the extreme, type over your limit, type to your heart's content. You will eventually develop muscle memory and you will remember where every keys are and every key stroke, and you basically type out of instinct instead of looking down on your keyboard when you type.
mizU
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States12125 Posts
May 29 2012 03:23 GMT
#2845
I have a Noppoo Choch with Cherry MX browns as my first mechanical, and it's not too loud, but has the nice click you want in a mechanical. I'd recommend it. It's also 10keyless and the F keys are really close, making it desk space efficient as well as nice for SC2 ^^
if happy ever afters did exist <3 @watamizu_
Ficetool
Profile Joined October 2011
Germany165 Posts
May 29 2012 12:11 GMT
#2846
Hey I was wondering if it was possible to apply the media keys of my Steelseries 6gv2 to Grooveshark.com?
So far it only works for players (like Mediaplayer e.g.) but as I only use Grooveshark this would help me out a lot...So can anyone help me with this?

Thanks
Freddybear
Profile Joined December 2011
United States126 Posts
May 29 2012 13:29 GMT
#2847
On May 29 2012 08:08 moltenlead wrote:

Also, how did you guys learn touch typing? I'm interested in learning but I just don't know the best way to do it (probably around 50-60 WPM atm).


Tux Typing is a silly typing game, but it works. http://tux4kids.alioth.debian.org/tuxtype/index.php

GNU Typist is a more serious typing tutor that runs in console mode. http://www.gnu.org/software/gtypist/

There are Linux and Windows binaries of both programs available for download.
Older than the usual n00b
Mordanis
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States893 Posts
May 30 2012 01:26 GMT
#2848
Has anyone here used the sound dampeners sold on either wasd or elitekeyboards? I have a Das with blues, and I don't really feel to bad about using it unless its night and someone is sleeping in the room next to me. There are two doors in the way and it's a pretty solid house, so it isn't incredibly loud, but I wouldn't mind it being a bit quieter. Anyways, I've seen the video that WASD posted that shows the difference, and I'm wondering just how difficult it would be to install everything, and if there's any difference between the two (If anyone is familiar with both kinds, the WASD ones are an o-ring, while the elitekeyboards ones are a square with a hole cut out for the actual switch. Thanks!
I love the smell of napalm in the morning... it smells like... victory. -_^ Favorite SC2 match ->Liquid`HerO vs. SlayerS CranK g.1 @MLG Summer Championship
m1rk3
Profile Joined July 2011
Canada412 Posts
May 30 2012 01:44 GMT
#2849
On May 30 2012 10:26 Mordanis wrote:
Has anyone here used the sound dampeners sold on either wasd or elitekeyboards? I have a Das with blues, and I don't really feel to bad about using it unless its night and someone is sleeping in the room next to me. There are two doors in the way and it's a pretty solid house, so it isn't incredibly loud, but I wouldn't mind it being a bit quieter. Anyways, I've seen the video that WASD posted that shows the difference, and I'm wondering just how difficult it would be to install everything, and if there's any difference between the two (If anyone is familiar with both kinds, the WASD ones are an o-ring, while the elitekeyboards ones are a square with a hole cut out for the actual switch. Thanks!


You just need a key puller and some common sense when pulling off the key caps.
For the Dominion!
wairai
Profile Joined May 2012
Malaysia1000 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-30 12:29:22
May 30 2012 12:26 GMT
#2850


o-ring dampener

installing dampener is quite easy lol

Yungin' Leanin' with Pourple Drink
Ropid
Profile Joined March 2009
Germany3557 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-30 14:09:30
May 30 2012 13:55 GMT
#2851
On May 29 2012 08:08 moltenlead wrote:
Also, how did you guys learn touch typing? I'm interested in learning but I just don't know the best way to do it (probably around 50-60 WPM atm).

I learned touch typing by putting a tiny graphic of a keyboard with hints for the finger placement and typing zones somewhere, and whenever I had the urge to look at my fingers, I paused and looked at that graphic instead.

If you type with 50-60 WPM, you probably already know by heart where all the keys are, and can already try to use touch typing without a training program. I would not practice much and stress over it. Whenever you have to write something and are not pressed for time, you should touch type slowly until you are bored. Try to use touch typing each day, even something like ten minutes is enough at the start. Your pinkies will get mysteriously better at hitting stuff after each night of sleep, so I would only ramp up the practice time after hitting the keys with the correct fingers stops feeling weird.

Look at this graphic for hand placement and which keys should be hit by what finger: + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
[image loading]
. For an upper case character, you can try to use the opposite hand's Shift key, so you can type Q, A, Z, P with the correct finger. For the upper row with the number keys, there are differing suggestions for which finger should hit what key.
"My goal is to replace my soul with coffee and become immortal."
moltenlead
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada866 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-30 22:32:33
May 30 2012 22:23 GMT
#2852
Thanks for all your replies. I've taken them all into account.

MiZu, you did make me realize that a TKL model would match my needs better than a full size model, so the Das is out now. I just can't find your Noppoo anywhere.

I'm now leaning towards this because it's the only brown tenkeyless I can find around http://www.cmstore-usa.com/quickfire-rapid-mechanical-gaming-keyboard/ . I was considering a Ducky DK1087 with Black Alps but they just seem very hard to me (overclock guide says 60-70g actuation force). mechanicalkeyboards.com says that the DK1087 w/ brown switches are out of stock. Are there any other readily accessible alternatives or should I just go with the CM storm model?

EDIT: I'd much rather not have the keyboard scream gamer as well (this one is probably as far away from standard as I'll go).

EDIT 2: Thanks Mordanis: http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold,tenkeyless&pid=fc200rtabn is also on the menu. I'm unsure as to whether or not I'll throw myself off the deep end and learn to touchtype with named keys or not, but the model looks quite nice.
Mordanis
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States893 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-30 22:27:50
May 30 2012 22:26 GMT
#2853
Go to elitekeyboards: They sell leopolds, which come in tenkeyless browns, and they are among the best made keyboards out there. I'm told they're almost identical to a filco, but for only $90. The only thing is that I have no idea what their policy is for shipping, but I don't think it would be too much of an issue for Canada.

EDIT: Here's a link to the one I was describing ^^ This is a really long hyper link LOL
I love the smell of napalm in the morning... it smells like... victory. -_^ Favorite SC2 match ->Liquid`HerO vs. SlayerS CranK g.1 @MLG Summer Championship
wairai
Profile Joined May 2012
Malaysia1000 Posts
May 30 2012 22:37 GMT
#2854
Touch typing (for me) just remember where the F and J keycaps since those 2 keycaps have slight bump + the method of Ropid

(I am typing with blank keycaps though)

@moltenlead

if you can wait abit more, FC700 will hit the market and it is quite a premium version of FC200
Yungin' Leanin' with Pourple Drink
sLBoGoRoH
Profile Joined January 2012
Netherlands126 Posts
May 30 2012 22:38 GMT
#2855
Razer BlackWidow vs SteelSeries 6Gv2 which 1?
Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-30 22:55:47
May 30 2012 22:52 GMT
#2856
Neither

Edit: That isn't informative at all. Steelseries and Razer keyboards have really bad build qualities etc. for the price you pay. The CM storm quickfire rapid or CM Storm quickfire pro (with numpad) are much better choices around 80$.

A Ducky for 78$

CM Storm Quickfire Pro for 98$

Just two examples. The ducky is going to be a good quality because its a ducky from what I understand, but I think you can get better keyboards. The CM Storm is like the 78$ CM quickfire rapid, but with a numpad from what I understand.

Both of those are brown switches. For different color switches, just search for different ones that you want.
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
moltenlead
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada866 Posts
May 30 2012 23:07 GMT
#2857
On May 31 2012 07:37 wairai wrote:
Touch typing (for me) just remember where the F and J keycaps since those 2 keycaps have slight bump + the method of Ropid

(I am typing with blank keycaps though)

@moltenlead

if you can wait abit more, FC700 will hit the market and it is quite a premium version of FC200


What features make it more premium? I'm looking for a workhorse keyboard for the next few years, so I'm really just looking for a solidly build TKL model with a nice typing experience. The differences would help me decide what's better.

Anyways, I found the FC700r on the leopold site (http://www.leopold.co.kr/?doc=cart/item.php&it_id=1325563447), but I don't read Korean so I can't figure out the order process or if they offer a brown switch. Google translate has it down to either option 1 or 3 (other two are linear, which from what I've gathered correspond to black/red). Option 3 seems to be blue (click on google translate), but I can't for the life of me figure out what Option 1 means (translate gives me 'neonkeulrik' :/ ).
wairai
Profile Joined May 2012
Malaysia1000 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-30 23:42:39
May 30 2012 23:21 GMT
#2858
Mostly on the keycaps. PBT Keycaps are basically rougher feels and more durable than the FC200

I shouldn't say that FC 700 is waaaay better than FC200 but most feature on FC700 are improved from the FC200

Ofc, they got all 4 switches for FC700

clicky = blue

heukchuk = black

jeokchuk = red

non clicky = brown

geekhack linkies for reviews

edit some info based on the menu from what you've seen >_< sorry
Yungin' Leanin' with Pourple Drink
DJFaqU
Profile Joined May 2011
466 Posts
May 30 2012 23:58 GMT
#2859
Do cheapo-mechanicals with an EU layout exist anywhere? Tenkeyless or not isn't a big factor but I'd like another one for the road, preferably with brown switches.
Kamwah
Profile Joined February 2012
United Kingdom724 Posts
May 31 2012 01:14 GMT
#2860
On May 31 2012 08:58 DJFaqU wrote:
Do cheapo-mechanicals with an EU layout exist anywhere? Tenkeyless or not isn't a big factor but I'd like another one for the road, preferably with brown switches.


If you go for a cheap mechanical you will regret it.
Learn to count with CatsPajamas!
Prev 1 141 142 143 144 145 383 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
20:00
WardiTV Mondays #107
IntoTheiNu 1512
WardiTV869
OGKoka 239
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 239
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 8286
Bisu 2301
Shuttle 1123
Horang2 768
Larva 512
BeSt 506
EffOrt 442
Stork 308
actioN 282
Mini 238
[ Show more ]
Mind 174
Zeus 101
910 98
Barracks 79
Snow 73
Mong 67
Sea.KH 59
hero 53
Shinee 42
JYJ 36
ToSsGirL 33
sorry 32
Bale 30
Sexy 29
Aegong 25
Killer 23
Shine 22
Yoon 21
soO 20
HiyA 19
Free 14
scan(afreeca) 12
Terrorterran 10
zelot 9
Sacsri 8
Icarus 6
Noble 6
Dota 2
Gorgc5192
qojqva2033
Dendi1069
febbydoto42
Counter-Strike
fl0m2010
Heroes of the Storm
Lowko446
Other Games
singsing2874
olofmeister1235
hiko1000
B2W.Neo805
Livibee476
crisheroes405
XBOCT288
TKL 262
Hui .238
Pyrionflax216
XaKoH 204
Liquid`VortiX162
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream25
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 29
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 31
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2955
• Jankos2023
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
1h 52m
Replay Cast
8h 52m
Afreeca Starleague
19h 52m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
20h 52m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 9h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.