• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:34
CEST 13:34
KST 20:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9655 users

Mechanical Keyboard Guide - Page 383

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 381 382 383
Whatson
Profile Blog Joined January 2012
United States5357 Posts
July 07 2018 18:20 GMT
#7641
On July 03 2018 22:58 Cyro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 03 2018 10:19 Whatson wrote:
How up-to-date is the current list in the first post? I just started my office job and I want to bring in a mechanical keyboard. I have a Das Model S with MX Blues that I used to play a lot of video games with, but I feel like the MX Blue switches make it too loud. Is there a "quiet" mechanical keyboard out there that anybody could recommend me? Preferably with a 10key


It's ancient

MX Blue has an audible click as part of the switch so it's louder.

Brown has a physical pressure change as you press down on the switch, so it's got a bit of the blue feel but doesn't make much of an audible click; they've been labeled as "silent" or "office" switches before.

Red/Black are linear (different feel, smooth+light) and don't make a sound from the key actuation.

The sound that you hear from keyboards of those switch types (red, black, brown etc) is almost all due to the keys physically bottoming out which can be reduced by o-rings.

check out some videos of those switch types with o-ring mods on youtube


Perfect, thanks!
¯\_(シ)_/¯
evilfatsh1t
Profile Joined October 2010
Australia8928 Posts
August 26 2018 05:04 GMT
#7642
ok im looking for a new keyboard again and i was thinking of logitech g413/513. no macro keys and i dont need media keys + good size board and build seems perfect.

the only question i have is that ive never tried their romer g switches before. anyone got any thoughts?
also im not up to date with the market now so if anyone can tell me if there is a magical switch that feels like cherry blues but doesnt have the sound id be thankful. i love the feel of blues but the sound always forced me to go to browns which i think doesnt do enough justice whe giving tactile feedback
kaykaykay
Profile Joined July 2012
Singapore637 Posts
December 12 2018 10:03 GMT
#7643
i've a Coolermaster Quickfire Rapid TKL, MX reds, bought it many years back and its still functioning great.
looking to get a new one this christmas sales and there are many choices available now and im totally out of the keyboard market, my question is
are the Cooler Master Masterkeys as good as my current board?
the entire series is on promotion and big discounts now and im wondering if i should get it over something like a filco or ducky which is relatively more expensive.
Starve the ego, feed the soul.
OsaX Nymloth
Profile Joined March 2013
Poland3244 Posts
December 12 2018 14:47 GMT
#7644
I have my old CM Storm QuickFire Pro with MX Brown at work - over 6 years old, works flawlessly still.
For home I got CoolerMaster Masterkeys L RGB or something like that from Massdrop about year ago - feel is the same, MX Browns, the construction is damn solid as expected and RGB options are cherry on top. I can recommend it as an upgrade, but can't say it would be better than filco or other brand.
Twitter: @osaxnymloth
Joni_
Profile Joined April 2011
Germany355 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-12-13 00:41:42
December 12 2018 19:32 GMT
#7645
Hey guys, I guess this question was asked before, but i didnt find an answer quickly, so if im being an obnoxious person by asking this, just tell me to keep searching the thread.. :>

I wanna learn how to type in Steno, so I stumbled upon Plover. I do not own a mechanical keyboard and since Christmas is coming up, I want to get one. Two questions arise:

1) Should I go for a NKRO-keyboard or is 6KRO enough to get started with Plover?
2) Depending on the answer of 1), do you guys have a keyboard recommendation that is both fit for usage with Steno (so it has a lightweight mechanism) and normal usage like gaming? I guess I'd be willing to spend around 100-200€ on a keyboard depending on how much more bang I get for my buck compared to similarly priced products.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: If that wasnt clear before: I want to use it with Key toppers, so I guess an ortholinear keyboard layout would be beneficial. Im not sure if there's key toppers that correct key alignment or if key alignment has an implication on price, but if the keys are non-ortholinearly aligned they should at least work with different key caps or something like that.. :>
SkrollK
Profile Joined January 2015
France580 Posts
August 10 2020 16:43 GMT
#7646
Hello Guys, got a question that I couldn't reasonably answer through average google search, so I thought about you, as always when in dire needs :p

What are actually the most silent switches/mech keyboards available ?

Thanks to Coronavirus, I got used to using my own keyboards (home) for working. Now that I got back to work, I'm not really keen on reverting back to old work keyboard, but my G-Lab keyz Carbon² is a little too noisy for my office-mate.
Been OK the last months 'cause of social distancing/holidays and all, but now we'll be reverting back to normal, so I'm trying to find a good quiet replacement.

Any ideas ?
Amui
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada10567 Posts
August 10 2020 19:21 GMT
#7647
On August 11 2020 01:43 SkrollK wrote:
Hello Guys, got a question that I couldn't reasonably answer through average google search, so I thought about you, as always when in dire needs :p

What are actually the most silent switches/mech keyboards available ?

Thanks to Coronavirus, I got used to using my own keyboards (home) for working. Now that I got back to work, I'm not really keen on reverting back to old work keyboard, but my G-Lab keyz Carbon² is a little too noisy for my office-mate.
Been OK the last months 'cause of social distancing/holidays and all, but now we'll be reverting back to normal, so I'm trying to find a good quiet replacement.

Any ideas ?

Blue switches are going to be noisy as they click when actuated. Typically the reference for quiet switches is cherry browns. I believe most linear switches are quiet as well, but because they don't provide feedback, the noise is typically going to be from bottoming out.

Do you know if most of the noise is from bottoming out or is it from the key actuation itself? I have browns in a semi-open office, but the vast majority of the noise is from bottoming out.

If you want quiet mechanical, at minimum you'll need something with browns, and potentially o-rings as well depending on how heavy handed of a typist you are (depends on how tolerant of noise your mates are as well).

Something from this list is a good starting point.
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=11
Porouscloud - NA LoL
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27460 Posts
August 14 2020 12:00 GMT
#7648
How /easyfeasible is it to re-cable a keyboard?

I’ve had my beloved Filco Majestouch for many moons now, signed by Tasteosis and many Team Liquid luminaries.

The cable got kinked pretty badly in transit once, haven’t had many problems with it since that happened but I think eventually I will if my G9X is anything to go by.

I’ll probably be getting another, 10 keyless with browns one day for portability/quietness for future study/work environments but I’d still like to keep my original baby in rotation for as long as possible!

Cheers in advance.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Amui
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada10567 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-08-14 23:22:42
August 14 2020 21:20 GMT
#7649
On August 14 2020 21:00 Wombat_NI wrote:
How /easyfeasible is it to re-cable a keyboard?

I’ve had my beloved Filco Majestouch for many moons now, signed by Tasteosis and many Team Liquid luminaries.

The cable got kinked pretty badly in transit once, haven’t had many problems with it since that happened but I think eventually I will if my G9X is anything to go by.

I’ll probably be getting another, 10 keyless with browns one day for portability/quietness for future study/work environments but I’d still like to keep my original baby in rotation for as long as possible!

Cheers in advance.

Likelihood of a keyboard failure is low as the cable doesn't flex that much in regular operation.

Level of difficulty for a replacement is pretty low, doable entirely with youtube guidance, but it will require crimpers and some connectors, or else a soldering iron(this option is not as good, although for this application it won't matter and requires fewer tools).

USB cable you can salvage from something, or buy a new one. Optionally buy a sleeving as well, but that isn't strictly necessary.

Generally speaking, the cable will be tied off to a strain relief and then plug into a 4pin header like the one below(NOTE: ALMOST CERTAINLY NOT THIS ONE SPECIFICALLY). In some cases the internal cable is just a microUSB header, which just means you buy a cable replacement.

https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/jst-sales-america-inc/B4B-EH-A-LF-SN/758748

You'll need to buy the mating connector and socket pins. I would probably get at least two sets if you're doing this for the first time, because the chance of a mistake is VERY high.

1. Open up keyboard and take out the cable. Make a note of pinout(color of cable and orientation).
2. For a new cable (can salvage USB cable from something, eg. USB extension(make sure to get USB 2.0)
3. Strip the new cable and crimp on the sockets, and plug it into the connector.
4. Install new keyboard.

It's probably easiest to either reach out to Filco, or else see if somebody else has done it to see what the mating connector is as there are hundreds of connectors with almost identical sizing that may or may not mate correctly.

Alternatively, get some heatshrink, a replacement USB cable, and splice the old connector onto the new cable by soldering them together and then heatshrink it all back up. This is the uglier solution, but will work in a pinch.

Disclaimer: I do have have an engineering background and part of my job involves doing stuff like this.
Porouscloud - NA LoL
aarti23456678
Profile Joined March 2025
1 Post
March 12 2025 11:59 GMT
#7650
--- Nuked ---
manshisingh7412
Profile Joined March 2025
India1 Post
March 14 2025 08:17 GMT
#7651
--- Nuked ---
tattvaspa1
Profile Joined March 2025
1 Post
March 17 2025 08:21 GMT
#7652
--- Nuked ---
_fool
Profile Joined February 2011
Netherlands685 Posts
April 03 2025 21:31 GMT
#7653
On April 29 2018 16:05 _fool wrote:
For people in the Netherlands: there is a second hand CMStorm QuickFire Rapid-i for sale at tweakers.net for a very low price. I own a Rapid-i myself, almost bought this one just to have one extra, but my wife won't let me


Due to some silly bot necro I stumbled upon this post by myself almost 7 years ago. Still have the Rapid-i, for LAN parties. I may have bought 4 or 5 more keyboards. Wife has decided to allow it <3
"News is to the mind what sugar is to the body"
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27460 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-04-08 10:39:08
April 08 2025 10:35 GMT
#7654
Anyone here ever tried out analogue keyboards? They sound quite intriguing but I’ve never so much as seen one never mind given one a try.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Prev 1 381 382 383
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
IntoTheiNu 923
WardiTV331
LiquipediaDiscussion
Afreeca Starleague
19:00
Ro4 Match 2
Soma vs Soulkey
Afreeca ASL 13258
StarCastTV_EN403
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko322
ProTech129
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 16811
Bisu 4751
Jaedong 4163
EffOrt 1285
BeSt 932
ZerO 538
Horang2 448
Pusan 304
actioN 296
Zeus 254
[ Show more ]
Larva 205
Hyun 147
Mind 137
Yoon 109
Barracks 107
ggaemo 89
Killer 49
scan(afreeca) 43
Sharp 41
Shinee 38
Bale 34
ToSsGirL 31
NotJumperer 30
Sea.KH 29
Hm[arnc] 20
Sacsri 19
Terrorterran 15
Noble 10
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
zelot 8
Dota 2
Dendi795
League of Legends
JimRising 343
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1548
byalli663
markeloff53
Other Games
crisheroes285
Pyrionflax180
DeMusliM142
dupreeh116
Mew2King62
QueenE5
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 215
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream52
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 53
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV576
League of Legends
• Jankos1193
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
12h 26m
Patches Events
1d 4h
The PondCast
1d 22h
INu's Battles
1d 23h
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.