• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:53
CEST 06:53
KST 13:53
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War415.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Making an Online Broodwar Manager Game
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9866 users

Pump units out faster as Z - Page 3

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Sentrosi
Profile Joined December 2010
United States2 Posts
December 04 2010 07:57 GMT
#41
On December 04 2010 16:38 Askesis wrote:
That's what you get for being able to build an entire army of any unit composition you want all at once. Believe me, I would gladly accept this mechanic if I were to have some way to make my pylons mobile, able to fly, and able to transport my army.


You mean like warp prisms?

JWill
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada52 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-04 08:14:16
December 04 2010 08:05 GMT
#42
-deleted-
Diamond Zerg
Medzo
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States627 Posts
December 04 2010 08:10 GMT
#43
On December 04 2010 16:48 DoubleLariat wrote:
I'm curious - has anyone tried to just hold it down anyway and see what happens?


Yes. You make 1 unit. It sucks big time late game.
JWill
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada52 Posts
December 04 2010 08:13 GMT
#44
On December 04 2010 16:51 DarthXX wrote:
How is this in any way a bug. If I hold down a key in any application it spams the letter ... seems pretty logical to me, looks like I gotta start practicing my jmodoing


Exactly. Keys repeating presses when held down is a driver level feature. Features are not bugs. If you don't believe me, click on a text entry field, and hold down the 'Z' key.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Wow, isn't that pretty? Look what the keyboard manufacturers have endowed us with! A wonderful bounty of letters should we ever need to repeat a key without wearing our fingers to the bone... Apparently no-one ever told Blizzard this.

Anyways, a possible solution lies below

If this bugfix gets past the testing phase, I'll set up autohotkey with a clever little workaround I thought of while reading this thread. Blizzard's stance on binding keys in that it's fine so long as one keypress performs one action. So we can't replicate standard and expected key repeats... but we all agree clicking the mouse in easier than pressing a keyboard button repeatedly?

So the obvious solution would be to write an autohotkey script that causes the left mouse button to act as whatever key you're currently holding down. For example, to spawn a lot of lings, press 4s(hold z)clickclickclickclickclickclickclick(release z). Of course, when no keys are pressed down, the left mouse button would act as the left mouse button.

What do you guys think? Would this be a viable workaround, do you think it risks the banhammer, or do you have a better solution?
Diamond Zerg
DoubleLariat
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada190 Posts
December 04 2010 08:20 GMT
#45
On December 04 2010 17:13 JWill wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 04 2010 16:51 DarthXX wrote:
How is this in any way a bug. If I hold down a key in any application it spams the letter ... seems pretty logical to me, looks like I gotta start practicing my jmodoing


Exactly. Keys repeating presses when held down is a driver level feature. Features are not bugs. If you don't believe me, click on a text entry field, and hold down the 'Z' key.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Wow, isn't that pretty? Look what the keyboard manufacturers have endowed us with! A wonderful bounty of letters should we ever need to repeat a key without wearing our fingers to the bone... Apparently no-one ever told Blizzard this.

Anyways, a possible solution lies below

If this bugfix gets past the testing phase, I'll set up autohotkey with a clever little workaround I thought of while reading this thread. Blizzard's stance on binding keys in that it's fine so long as one keypress performs one action. So we can't replicate standard and expected key repeats... but we all agree clicking the mouse in easier than pressing a keyboard button repeatedly?

So the obvious solution would be to write an autohotkey script that causes the left mouse button to act as whatever key you're currently holding down. For example, to spawn a lot of lings, press 4s(hold z)clickclickclickclickclickclickclick(release z). Of course, when no keys are pressed down, the left mouse button would act as the left mouse button.

What do you guys think? Would this be a viable workaround, do you think it risks the banhammer, or do you have a better solution?


What about when you try to a move or focus fire?
Askesis
Profile Joined September 2010
216 Posts
December 04 2010 08:22 GMT
#46
On December 04 2010 16:57 Sentrosi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 04 2010 16:38 Askesis wrote:
That's what you get for being able to build an entire army of any unit composition you want all at once. Believe me, I would gladly accept this mechanic if I were to have some way to make my pylons mobile, able to fly, and able to transport my army.


You mean like warp prisms?


If warp prism's gave us supply instead of requiring it, then yes, those would be exactly what I was talking about.
JWill
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada52 Posts
December 04 2010 08:26 GMT
#47
On December 04 2010 17:20 DoubleLariat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 04 2010 17:13 JWill wrote:-nested quote removed-


What about when you try to a move or focus fire?


Do you ever hold down A to attack move? I press a, release a, then left click. If you do hold a, and are worried about this, you could set up autohotkey to not mouse-click-repeat for the A-key specifically.

Focus firing should not be a problem, if you just right click on a unit, or a-click on a unit.
Diamond Zerg
Playguuu
Profile Joined April 2010
United States926 Posts
December 04 2010 08:29 GMT
#48
Hopefully the hotkeys will be more robust in the future. As it is now you can't bind something like ctrl click, z click or any mouse buttons to unit production. I tried with larva and baracks. Not sure if that's intentional, but I can bind and recall groups with my side mouse buttons so maybe it is.
I used to be just like you, then I took a sweetroll to the knee.
Askesis
Profile Joined September 2010
216 Posts
December 04 2010 08:30 GMT
#49
But yea, this change really shocked me and I really don't see a reason for it. The way it was working seemed like the natural way to me, just like if you were to hold a letter on a keyboard in any other application.

However, I do think the result of the change will end up being more "balanced", even though I don't really think it was necessary, and it's hard to say if Blizzard did that as an intent to nerf zerg a little bit or if it's just one of their quirky things they do.
JWill
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada52 Posts
December 04 2010 08:31 GMT
#50
On December 04 2010 17:29 Playguuu wrote:
Hopefully the hotkeys will be more robust in the future. As it is now you can't bind something like ctrl click, z click or any mouse buttons to unit production. I tried with larva and baracks. Not sure if that's intentional, but I can bind and recall groups with my side mouse buttons so maybe it is.


Yes, you would have to use a third party program like Autohotkey (googleit) for the more advanced stuff. But I'm hoping Blizzard comes to their senses and stops this silly 'bug fix' before we have to learn to deal with it.
Diamond Zerg
Pwere
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada1557 Posts
December 04 2010 08:31 GMT
#51
I'm pretty sure that if you have a macro keyboard, you can hotkey something to press Z, release Z, and if you held that key, it would repeat the macro and act as it used to.

I still somehow doubt that this change is going to stick.
Fym
Profile Joined October 2009
United Kingdom189 Posts
December 04 2010 08:31 GMT
#52
I can't believe they're doing this, they're adding tedium to zergling production by having to assign 2 keys to it. Hope its reverted
If you wanna be a good chef, you dont make fish n chips.
TheRabidDeer
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
United States3806 Posts
December 04 2010 09:10 GMT
#53
People are looking at unit creation and ignoring the fact that you can no longer hotkey your scouting worker and just hold down the hotkey to follow that unit. You have to either hold your mouse button on the portrait or hit the full hotkey which is like ctrl+shift+f by default.
Genome852
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States979 Posts
December 04 2010 09:22 GMT
#54
On December 04 2010 18:10 TheRabidDeer wrote:
People are looking at unit creation and ignoring the fact that you can no longer hotkey your scouting worker and just hold down the hotkey to follow that unit. You have to either hold your mouse button on the portrait or hit the full hotkey which is like ctrl+shift+f by default.


Who even does this? Just move the camera...
TheRabidDeer
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
United States3806 Posts
December 04 2010 09:32 GMT
#55
On December 04 2010 18:22 Genome852 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 04 2010 18:10 TheRabidDeer wrote:
People are looking at unit creation and ignoring the fact that you can no longer hotkey your scouting worker and just hold down the hotkey to follow that unit. You have to either hold your mouse button on the portrait or hit the full hotkey which is like ctrl+shift+f by default.


Who even does this? Just move the camera...

Well, apparently I do this. Moving the camera takes a lot more effort than just holding down 1. Obviously this only applies for the scouting worker since I move the camera for the rest of the game, but its still gonna be annoying.

Protoss can still shift + unit hotkey to make multiple warpgate units, right?
genopath
Profile Joined December 2008
80 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-04 09:58:54
December 04 2010 09:40 GMT
#56
On December 04 2010 16:38 Askesis wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 04 2010 16:21 genopath wrote:
On December 04 2010 16:12 Stiver wrote:
Luckily I Just ignore trolls.

"40 Zerglings is now 20 taps where as the equivalent for zealots is 10 taps. From a practical standpoint this isn't fair. Consequently this isn't balanced."

To be fair you also have to physically place each Zealot on the map on a power source which in and of itself is a hell of a lot hard to do than tapping 'z' 20 times.



That's what you get for deciding where you want to place your units. Zerg doesn't get this little advantage and that's fine that's the game design conception behind it. Believe me I would gladly accept this mechanic if I were to have some way to build my zerglings at your base ignoring your choke.

That's what you get for being able to build an entire army of any unit composition you want all at once. Believe me, I would gladly accept this mechanic if I were to have some way to make my pylons mobile, able to fly, and able to transport my army.


So you want to compare gameplay dynamics? I wonder if you are aware that Zerg is atm a really APM dependent race compared to others and this just makes matters worse. Furthermore I think you are forgetting the fact that our unit composition is inferior to a protoss.You could argue and say one of the elements that compensates for it is mobility. Yet, creep spreading for instance requires a lot of extra attention which requires APM. I could argue all day about why Zerg is a harder race to play but that will be going off-topic.

This fix is wrong and it is counter productive but I'm guessing the fact that it doesn't make things easier for your race is a problem.
fdsdfg
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States1251 Posts
December 04 2010 09:43 GMT
#57
This is really annoying. Zerg already requires a lot of macro attention, this is basically putting a roadblock down whenever you want to build units lategame. Inject larvae every 30 seconds, but also spent 6 seconds spamming keys to build the units you want.
aka Siyko
townie
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany19 Posts
December 04 2010 09:49 GMT
#58
im a zerg! need to spam a lot units and not my keys.....
Lennon
Profile Joined February 2010
United Kingdom2275 Posts
December 04 2010 09:53 GMT
#59
I've been using this now called "bug" for over 4 months and it's the reason why I switched to Zerg. Very disheartening to be told that I'll have to change this and it being described as an "exploitable bug".
aaroB
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada89 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-04 10:10:32
December 04 2010 10:09 GMT
#60
I don't know what blizzard was on when they came up with this. I just played a few ZvTs on the PTR and a couple of them went into the late game (luckily my opponents were terrible and I won the placement matches) but it took a while to get used to this. A few times I tried to create a craptonne of zling and forgot about teh change and only ended up with one pair.

But anyways, late game when I had about 40 larva queued up for producing, it was hell trying to get all the units out in time. The biggest issue for me was morphing banelings in time when I saw the tank/rine ball move towards me. I think morphing banelings just in time for an attack is critical in the midgame and those precious seconds that this bug takes away really does not allow you to prepare for an attack effectively. Such a stupid change imo, and I really think it is unwarranted.

I feel like I'm gonna get carpal tunnel from playing with this ridiculous change.
Oh Hai Dere
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
08:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
BeSt 252
Mind 60
Bale 28
ZergMaN 12
Icarus 11
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm196
League of Legends
JimRising 628
Other Games
summit1g7610
Coldzera 698
WinterStarcraft584
C9.Mang0263
ViBE139
Sick120
febbydoto6
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick754
BasetradeTV196
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP125
• practicex 48
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota284
League of Legends
• Rush788
Other Games
• Shiphtur506
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
5h 7m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
Online Event
7h 7m
AI Arena Tournament
12h 7m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
14h 7m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 5h
Patches Events
1d 10h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 14h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 14h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.