• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:57
CEST 19:57
KST 02:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9790 users

NBA Offseason 2014 - Page 18

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 16 17 18 19 20 118 Next
XaI)CyRiC
Profile Joined October 2002
United States4471 Posts
July 02 2014 18:41 GMT
#341
On July 03 2014 03:09 Ace wrote:
@Cyric: 12 mil for a guy who isn't a 2 way disaster is solid imo. While Washington is known for screwing up their cap year on end, this is actually a surprisingly good figure for them. I was honestly expecting worse. Of course, the 5 year length could be considered an actual doomsday scenario. I'm guessing there is a team option in the 4th year. Washington (really, Leonsis) has been in "win at all costs" mode for 2 years now. I kinda can't blame him since those old Washington teams were absolute garbage filled with morons.


Agreed. The win-now philosophy plays a large part in this contract, as Gortat has proven to be a key part to this particular roster's success. I also don't fault WAS for trying to win now as the East is in terrible shape and they've been a trainwreck for so long. It's also a good idea to start building a winning culture that players will want to be around so that you can attract FAs and hold onto your stars.
Moderator
andrewlt
Profile Joined August 2009
United States7702 Posts
July 02 2014 18:41 GMT
#342
On July 03 2014 03:09 Ace wrote:
@Cyric: 12 mil for a guy who isn't a 2 way disaster is solid imo. While Washington is known for screwing up their cap year on end, this is actually a surprisingly good figure for them. I was honestly expecting worse. Of course, the 5 year length could be considered an actual doomsday scenario. I'm guessing there is a team option in the 4th year. Washington (really, Leonsis) has been in "win at all costs" mode for 2 years now. I kinda can't blame him since those old Washington teams were absolute garbage filled with morons.



I was going to say something about how having your estate overpay a player after you are dead isn't really a problem. But I looked up Leonsis and he's only 57.
seiferoth10
Profile Joined May 2010
3362 Posts
July 02 2014 18:42 GMT
#343
I guess, if you frame Avery Bradley's contract off Jodie Meek's contract it makes sense. I might actually prefer Meeks in that situation.
Ace
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States16096 Posts
July 02 2014 18:50 GMT
#344
On July 03 2014 03:37 zulu_nation8 wrote:
doesn't seem like there are any big men they can overpay besides jordan hill


On July 03 2014 03:40 Haiq343 wrote:
Hayward's max is different from Lebron's Max is different from... etc. You get the idea.

Hayward @ 15ish a year isn't outrageous if you believe that his slump was brought on by having to carry an awful jazz team (and take/miss awful shots) that didn't give a shit. And Zulu's point about the Cleveland overpay is valid as well.

Meeks will at least help Detroit's desperate need for spacing as he can actually shoot. Probably a bit of an overpay but 3years isn't endless and it's not like he's too old to learn to be a semi-competent team defender.


I think Cleveland should overpay Jordan Hill before paying Hayward 15 mil. To be clear this isn't really because I think Hayward is a bad player. Last year's Utah team really screwed him over since the roster was in flux and Tyrone Corbin is nutso. The Cavs just have too many wing players that need development and throwing Hayward in the pot just sucks for him - if he isn't going to be the secondary ball handler behind Kyrie they are absolutely screwed. At the least get rid of Waiters and Bennett and let Gordon/Irving/Wiggins core shine (which I think is legit since they have 2 good defensive wings now).

@andrew: Leonsis could probably be taken out by a rabid fan in the next few years. He is loathed by DC fans because the Caps used to suck too.


Math me up, scumboi. - Acrofales
XaI)CyRiC
Profile Joined October 2002
United States4471 Posts
July 02 2014 18:54 GMT
#345
On July 03 2014 03:31 Ace wrote:
Cleveland has enough wing players though. They've drafted four first rounders in the last few years (Wiggins, Bennet, Waiters, Irving) and now paying Gordon would be costly. Just keep the cheap guys since I doubt Hayward is going to improve them that much. Get a big guy since Varajeo is losing effectiveness and Thompson isn't good enough yet to protect the rim consistently.


Despite all those first rounders, there are a lot of questions for that roster and it doesn't seem unreasonable for them to go after a player like Hayward in my opinion.

Irviing is a PG, but he's a scorer and can play well off the ball due to his shooting. It seems that teams need two ballhandlers who can create offense these days due to how good defenses have got, and Hayward could be that guy next to Kyrie. Wiggins is a high-upside rookie who doesn't seem capable of carrying an offensive load or playmaking right away, Bennett has shown nothing thus far, and Waiters doesn't seem to play well next to Kyrie and might be better off as a 6th man for that roster.

The Cavs' frontcourt is in terrible shape with Varejao not being able to stay on the court and Thompson being a PF who isn't a stretch but also doesn't score efficiently or protect the rim well, and Hawes looking like he may end up signing elsewhere. I'm not sure there are any viable or good targets for them to go after, but they should definitely focus on getting some help in the paint over wing talent if possible.

CLE is also strangely in a win-now mode despite having a roster that doesn't seem close to being able to complete for anything other than a first round exit at this point. I think it's great that they don't want to be in the lottery again next season, but that doesn't mean they should go all-in on this offseason to try to improve the roster. They should try to improve while still keeping an eye towards the future, because contending in 2-3 years seems like a much more realistic goal.
Moderator
Ace
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States16096 Posts
July 02 2014 19:02 GMT
#346
I agree with the 2 ball handler model. I've always advocated that you need 2 to even have a shot at winning big in this league unless you have an ATG PG which Irving is not.

Keeping Waiters (cheap contract) means the Cavs are not going to mind paying big in a few years? With Hayward starting at 15 + Kyrie's $90M deal are they just developing these guys with no hope of winning a chip just to let them go in a few years?

Irving/Wiggins/Hayward/Thompson/??? I see working if the Center was actually Jordan Hill . Now we throw Waiters as the 6th in, and Bennett is a lost cause due to little shot at developing here. There has to be a trade in the works right? If they want to win now someone has to replace Hawes as a top priority.
Math me up, scumboi. - Acrofales
zulu_nation8
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
China26351 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-07-02 19:05:35
July 02 2014 19:03 GMT
#347
Gee and CJ Miles ate up a lot of minutes last season too, Waiters might be moved anyway because of all the antics with him last year. Only thing that sucks is Dellavedova and Jack competing for minutes. Bennett will probably never develop.
Ace
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States16096 Posts
July 02 2014 19:07 GMT
#348
I remember seeing Delladova play and thought he was a good ball handler with solid defense. Could be wrong but that's a guy they should be playing heavily over Jack in the RS just to make sure he's ready for the playoffs.
Math me up, scumboi. - Acrofales
XaI)CyRiC
Profile Joined October 2002
United States4471 Posts
July 02 2014 19:20 GMT
#349
Jack was a win-now gamble ("he paired well with Curry, why not Kyrie?") that crapped out because the Cavs turned out to be a lot worse than their management had hoped. Now he sticks out like a sore thumb and makes too much to not play at all.

If I'm the Cavs, I'm doing everything possible to hold onto Hawes because he's the best option out there for them. If they lose him, they'd be left trying to bid on Hill (better as bench energy guy) or Frye (doesn't provide the rebounding or defense they need). Hawes isn't great, but I think he's better than the other two options.
Moderator
Djagulingu
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Germany3605 Posts
July 02 2014 19:37 GMT
#350
On July 03 2014 03:31 Ace wrote:
Cleveland has enough wing players though. They've drafted four first rounders in the last few years (Wiggins, Bennet, Waiters, Irving) and now paying Gordon would be costly. Just keep the cheap guys since I doubt Hayward is going to improve them that much. Get a big guy since Varajeo is losing effectiveness and Thompson isn't good enough yet to protect the rim consistently.


On July 03 2014 04:02 Ace wrote:
I agree with the 2 ball handler model. I've always advocated that you need 2 to even have a shot at winning big in this league unless you have an ATG PG which Irving is not.

Keeping Waiters (cheap contract) means the Cavs are not going to mind paying big in a few years? With Hayward starting at 15 + Kyrie's $90M deal are they just developing these guys with no hope of winning a chip just to let them go in a few years?

Irving/Wiggins/Hayward/Thompson/??? I see working if the Center was actually Jordan Hill . Now we throw Waiters as the 6th in, and Bennett is a lost cause due to little shot at developing here. There has to be a trade in the works right? If they want to win now someone has to replace Hawes as a top priority.

This is why Cleveland has to pay whatever it has to Greg Monroe.
"windows bash is a steaming heap of shit" tofucake
zulu_nation8
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
China26351 Posts
July 02 2014 19:42 GMT
#351
when multiple teams offer him the max there's just no incentive to go to cleveland.
DystopiaX
Profile Joined October 2010
United States16236 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-07-02 20:23:16
July 02 2014 20:21 GMT
#352
On July 03 2014 03:41 XaI)CyRiC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 03 2014 03:09 Ace wrote:
@Cyric: 12 mil for a guy who isn't a 2 way disaster is solid imo. While Washington is known for screwing up their cap year on end, this is actually a surprisingly good figure for them. I was honestly expecting worse. Of course, the 5 year length could be considered an actual doomsday scenario. I'm guessing there is a team option in the 4th year. Washington (really, Leonsis) has been in "win at all costs" mode for 2 years now. I kinda can't blame him since those old Washington teams were absolute garbage filled with morons.


Agreed. The win-now philosophy plays a large part in this contract, as Gortat has proven to be a key part to this particular roster's success. I also don't fault WAS for trying to win now as the East is in terrible shape and they've been a trainwreck for so long. It's also a good idea to start building a winning culture that players will want to be around so that you can attract FAs and hold onto your stars.

Agree with what you're saying. Plus if they re-sign Ariza as well they have their starting 5 locked up for the next couple seasons, and I think they're good enough to compete in the East during that time frame. The length is less bad once you consider that the cap is going to get larger/higher in the next couple years. In addition I think I read somewhere that his contract is front-loaded so he makes more in the first couple years than in the last couple years of his deal, which makes it even less bad. Assuming that he doesn't quickly deteriorate he might even be tradable in the last couple years of his contract.

I think Hayward for his max is about right, but not for the Cavs. I'd try to hold on to Hawes cause apparently a lot of teams want him- there's a lack of good/cheap big man free agents (which incidentally makes the Gortat signing look even better).
cLutZ
Profile Joined November 2010
United States19574 Posts
July 02 2014 20:32 GMT
#353
Oh Cleveland, this is how you lost Lebron.
Freeeeeeedom
MassHysteria
Profile Joined October 2010
United States3678 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-07-02 21:03:40
July 02 2014 20:58 GMT
#354
I really like Hayward. I look at him as a glue guy. He won't fight with everyone else to take the shots. He creates for other people. He is composed and will just play the role the team needs. He is a great fit for Irving and Waiters(who are selfish players). Is he worth this much? Ehh probably not (will depend on his play) but I think he deserves a little more due than he is getting from some fans.


And the more I think about it, the more I am warming up to Meeks too Jibba. Would I have liked it more at 5mil/year, definitely. But if Van Gundy can get him to play good D, then he might be worth it. His offensive stats are great, as you've noticed. It's his defense that is the troublesome part, but the good thing is he does work really hard (hardest working-Laker last season). And he has never had a defensive coach like Stan so there is some upside

edit: plus, isn't Hayward a RFA? That might also be the reason for giving him an extra couple million per year even if he might not be worth the max in their opinion(Cavs). Make Jazz pay up or let him go..
"Just ban all the J's...even jinklejoes" --unnamed source
XaI)CyRiC
Profile Joined October 2002
United States4471 Posts
July 02 2014 21:06 GMT
#355
On July 03 2014 05:21 DystopiaX wrote:
Agree with what you're saying. Plus if they re-sign Ariza as well they have their starting 5 locked up for the next couple seasons, and I think they're good enough to compete in the East during that time frame. The length is less bad once you consider that the cap is going to get larger/higher in the next couple years. In addition I think I read somewhere that his contract is front-loaded so he makes more in the first couple years than in the last couple years of his deal, which makes it even less bad. Assuming that he doesn't quickly deteriorate he might even be tradable in the last couple years of his contract.

I think Hayward for his max is about right, but not for the Cavs. I'd try to hold on to Hawes cause apparently a lot of teams want him- there's a lack of good/cheap big man free agents (which incidentally makes the Gortat signing look even better).


The more we talked about the Cavs situation, the more I also came to realize that the Gortat signing actually makes sense due to the dearth of good centers available this offseason. Plus, his skill set is actually not as common as some might think. There aren't many centers who are skilled at running a pick and roll, set great screens, have good hands to catch on the move after rolling hard, can finish around the basket so effectively, and provide solid rebounding and defense at the same time. He's also shown himself to be a good teammate thus far, and isn't a headcase a la McGee or Sanders.

Some other centers and 2013-2014 salaries to consider when evaluating Gortat's new deal:
Tyson $14.1M
Okafor $14.4M
Bogut $14M
Pekovic $12.1M
DJ $10.9M
McGee $10.7M
Splitter $10M
Perkins $8.7M
Asik $8.3M

I could easily slot in Gortat between Pekovic and DJ in terms of value, and maybe even value him equally with Pekovic since he seems better at protecting the rim.
Moderator
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
July 02 2014 22:25 GMT
#356
On July 03 2014 05:58 MassHysteria wrote:
I really like Hayward. I look at him as a glue guy. He won't fight with everyone else to take the shots. He creates for other people. He is composed and will just play the role the team needs. He is a great fit for Irving and Waiters(who are selfish players). Is he worth this much? Ehh probably not (will depend on his play) but I think he deserves a little more due than he is getting from some fans.


And the more I think about it, the more I am warming up to Meeks too Jibba. Would I have liked it more at 5mil/year, definitely. But if Van Gundy can get him to play good D, then he might be worth it. His offensive stats are great, as you've noticed. It's his defense that is the troublesome part, but the good thing is he does work really hard (hardest working-Laker last season). And he has never had a defensive coach like Stan so there is some upside

edit: plus, isn't Hayward a RFA? That might also be the reason for giving him an extra couple million per year even if he might not be worth the max in their opinion(Cavs). Make Jazz pay up or let him go..

I just love his shot selection. It's either a 3pter or at the rim. None of that 18footer crap.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
seiferoth10
Profile Joined May 2010
3362 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-07-02 23:19:20
July 02 2014 23:18 GMT
#357
We were just commenting on the length of Gortat's contract. The 12m/y is a slight underpay for Gortat imo, but it's locked in for 5 years. Big men going on 35 are at increased risk of injury (obvious right? older = more injuries). I would've been fine with 40m/3y for Gortat.
zulu_nation8
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
China26351 Posts
July 03 2014 00:03 GMT
#358
Looks like patty mills took less money to stay with the spurs, good deal for everyone.
DystopiaX
Profile Joined October 2010
United States16236 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-07-03 00:08:49
July 03 2014 00:08 GMT
#359
^I feel like if the Spurs want you back in most cases you decide to stay. Says a lot about their organization.

On July 03 2014 08:18 seiferoth10 wrote:
We were just commenting on the length of Gortat's contract. The 12m/y is a slight underpay for Gortat imo, but it's locked in for 5 years. Big men going on 35 are at increased risk of injury (obvious right? older = more injuries). I would've been fine with 40m/3y for Gortat.

yeah the length is the worst thing about his contract. I think partial motivators for the 5 were the fact that they were the only ones who could offer him that length, and as Gortat realizes he's getting old as well he probably negotiated hard for that longer contract. As previously stated, there are a ton of teams this offseason with cap space and a very small number of free agent skilled big men. I think the Wizards overpaid Gortat early so that they wouldn't have to deal with other competing offers from other teams that may have overpaid him more. That risk is only going to go up as more players get signed and other teams strike out on other free agents.
RowdierBob
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
Australia13528 Posts
July 03 2014 02:07 GMT
#360
I don't mind the Hayward deal. I think he's underrated. Maybe not worth max but the Cavs had to make that offer if they were serious about prying him from Utah.

Gortat contract is standard for a solid starting C but the length is ridiculous. Was another team really going to offer anything similar? It's fully guaranteed too. They outbid themselves imo...

And Wtf are the magic doing?
"Terrans are pretty much space-Australians" - H
Prev 1 16 17 18 19 20 118 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 3m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 317
ProTech148
UpATreeSC 122
BRAT_OK 72
MindelVK 13
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 2354
Bisu 2146
Soulkey 983
EffOrt 516
Larva 404
Mini 379
Dewaltoss 198
ZerO 150
hero 104
Mind 74
[ Show more ]
sorry 62
Sharp 56
Shinee 55
Barracks 42
Bale 25
Trap 24
Terrorterran 21
NaDa 18
Rock 13
scan(afreeca) 13
zelot 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 6
Dota 2
Dendi1473
420jenkins415
XaKoH 348
League of Legends
Reynor69
Counter-Strike
fl0m4137
Fnx 661
x6flipin372
pashabiceps193
edward45
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu498
Other Games
Grubby3165
Liquid`RaSZi1614
FrodaN713
Livibee168
C9.Mang0127
TKL 117
QueenE97
RotterdaM64
Mew2King37
ZerO(Twitch)16
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV203
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream27
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 68
• Reevou 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 47
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2758
• TFBlade755
Other Games
• Shiphtur738
• imaqtpie571
• WagamamaTV464
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
6h 3m
Patches Events
22h 3m
The PondCast
1d 16h
INu's Battles
1d 17h
Percival vs TBD
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.