• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:02
CEST 18:02
KST 01:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7763 users

[P]Which Grip type are you?

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-11-20 00:08:51
November 19 2008 23:51 GMT
#1
http://www2.razerzone.com/MouseGuide/html/advantages.php

http://www2.razerzone.com/MouseGuide/html/clawgrip.php
http://www2.razerzone.com/MouseGuide/html/palmgrip.php
http://www2.razerzone.com/MouseGuide/html/fingertipgrip.php


[image loading]

Poll: Which grip are you?
(Vote): Palm
(Vote): Claw
(Vote): Fingertip
(Vote): Other
(Vote): Combination/Switch it up

Advantages of the palm grip:

The palm grip is the default way many users use to hold a computer mouse, and is found to be more comfortable for a user not accustomed to manipulating the mouse by lifting it and making constant adjustments with the fingers and palm.

With the palm grip, the user will primarily move the mouse by exerting force with his forearm and wrist to “push” the mouse around the mousing surface. By using this method, the user is able to move the mouse at higher speeds, and achieve higher Inches Per Second (IPS) ratings by doing so. Some gamers fine-tune their movements by rotating and pivoting their wrists, but gross speed is still the primary advantage that palm grip users experience.

The palm grip is also considered one of the most comfortable grip styles for gaming where the gamer is able to continue playing for extended hours without experiencing fatigue.

Disadvantages of the palm grip:

As previously noted, palm grip users have a natural tendency to move the mouse with their forearm and wrist. However, in order to keep the point of contact with their palm and the back of the mouse intact, users will find it difficult to perform fine tuning with their fingers.

The number of articulation points to manipulate the mouse is also less than what the claw grip offers. This in turn means that palm grip users are unable to make as many precise movements as they can when using a claw grip

Advantages of the claw grip:

The claw grip is preferred by users who require quick, precise movements, while having the rear of the mouse stabilized by the sixth contact point in the pit of the hand when lifting the mouse off the mousing surface.

A claw grip user will manipulate the mouse primarily by “pulling” the mouse around the mousing surface as the user’s hand is positioned above the mouse, and fine-tuning can be made by making minor adjustments with the user’s fingertips by either slightly rotating the mouse like a dial or pushing the mouse in and out of the pit of the user’s hand.

A final point to note with regards to the claw grip is that the primary and secondary mouse buttons can be actuated faster than when actuated with the palm grip. The pressure exerted by the tips of the user’s fingers positioned in the claw grip can result in quicker button actuation than fingers positioned in a palm grip. This is because fingers positioned in the palm grip require the user to use more force to actuate the mouse button due to the increased surface area each finger has to press down on.

Disadvantages of the claw grip:

Because most users have a natural tendency to palm their mouse, using the claw grip does not feel as natural to certain users and a learning curve is required to adjust to the claw grip.

Additionally, since the user is moving the mouse with his fingertips, fatigue can set in faster if the user does not possess refined fine motor skills with their fingertips and wrist. Because of this, the user will experience fatigue sooner and fine motor control will deteriorate, quickly affecting the user’s ability to move his mouse accurately.

Advantages of the fingertip grip:

The fingertip grip is similar to the claw grip, in the fact that users prefer quick, precise movements, but differs because the user wants increased agility.

A fingertip grip user will also “pull” the mouse along a mousing surface, but since the rear of the mouse no longer makes contact with the pit of the user’s hand, the user can make further adjustments and tweak the mouse with his fingertips when compared to the claw grip.

Also like the claw grip, the primary and secondary mouse buttons can be actuated faster with the fingertip grip when compared to the palm grip.

Disadvantages of the fingertip grip:

With the fingertip grip, users will experience the most amount of hand fatigue as there are now only five points of contact with the mouse, and the user will be required to use more effort in controlling the stability and precise movements of the mouse.

The fingertip grip also requires the highest learning curve for most users, as the exaggerated arched fingers and increased amount of control over the mouse needs to be practiced.





I Think I am a fingertip/claw grip guy. It kinda depends on the mouse, these ones here at work are small basic so its always a fingertip grip because my hand is bigger.

But yea, I notice I get really fatigued hands after intense/long games. And I definitely like the added precision of finger grip.

I'm voting Fingertip.

Also upon further reading Here found that I liked the Krait and Salmosa mice best based on stats and look and just read that these would be best for fingertip grip users.

PS- Why are there no starcraft players quotes about their grip types on any of these? Stupid!
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
Fontong
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States6454 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-11-20 00:00:31
November 19 2008 23:55 GMT
#2
Since I'm an instrumentalist I'm pretty used to making fine movements with my fingers, thus the fingertip is just the natural position for me.

I find it does give me good control in all sorts of situations, especially since I use fast and precise mouse movement to make up for my bad hotkeying habits.

Edit: Oh wow, apparently I have one of the least recommending mice for fingertip style, being that it's a huge old microsoft mouse.
[SECRET FONT] "Dragoon bunker"
IzzyCraft
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States4487 Posts
November 19 2008 23:55 GMT
#3
Finger tip it's why my mouse is a G9 Short Wide mouse made for right hand i.e. the only way to grip it with a hand of my size is just moving it useing finger tips.

I used to be a palm when i played fps alot
I have ass for brains so,
even when I shit I'm droping knowledge.
lokiM
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States3407 Posts
November 19 2008 23:55 GMT
#4
In SC, war3, or even dota I use fingertip. In everything else like CS I use my palm, voted fingertip though ;D
You can't fight the feeling.
-orb-
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States5770 Posts
November 19 2008 23:59 GMT
#5
Combination between fingertip and claw for starcraft, combination between palm and claw for FPS.



I don't like the claw grip in their shots, it's way too arched, but I do like a bit of arch in my mouse hand.
'life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery'
how sad that sc2 has no shield battery :(
GeneralStan
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States4789 Posts
November 20 2008 00:01 GMT
#6
I'm a palm gripper. I had never realized the difference between grips like this. I mouse for 8 hours a day at work, so I find that a grip that doesn't fatigue my hands is very important. To this end, I find my Deathadder to be a very comfortable match to my style!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
mahnini
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
United States6862 Posts
November 20 2008 00:02 GMT
#7
fingertip. it feels the most natural because it gives you more control, also, it takes less effort to move. actually i'm more in between finger and claw, i dont do some crazy tiger fist grip but i dont lay my fingers flat either.

ps that guy has small hands
the world's a playground. you know that when you're a kid, but somewhere along the way everyone forgets it.
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
November 20 2008 00:03 GMT
#8
On November 20 2008 08:59 -orb- wrote:
Combination between fingertip and claw for starcraft, combination between palm and claw for FPS.



I don't like the claw grip in their shots, it's way too arched, but I do like a bit of arch in my mouse hand.

Yea I use only my fingers to hold/control the mouse with a slight arch in the pointer/middle and my palm/ thumb slightly touches the left back of the mouse.
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
Starparty
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
Sweden1963 Posts
November 20 2008 00:05 GMT
#9
combination i guess
The artist formerly known as Starparty
JWD
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States12607 Posts
November 20 2008 00:07 GMT
#10
I use the palm grip, as a result I like big fat mice that fit my hand. Though it's not a gaming mouse, I find the Logitech MX Revolution really comfortable for palm gripping with my hand.

Yeah, that sounded eerily similar to the cheesy progamer quotes Razer has on their site there.

Anyone wonder if there are any SC players who use the palm/claw grips? I feel like I've only seen fingertip in VODs.
✌
mahnini
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
United States6862 Posts
November 20 2008 00:07 GMT
#11
On November 20 2008 09:03 CharlieMurphy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 20 2008 08:59 -orb- wrote:
Combination between fingertip and claw for starcraft, combination between palm and claw for FPS.



I don't like the claw grip in their shots, it's way too arched, but I do like a bit of arch in my mouse hand.

Yea I use only my fingers to hold/control the mouse with a slight arch in the pointer/middle and my palm/ thumb slightly touches the left back of the mouse.

yeah, it's pretty much impossible to not have any arch in your fingers otherwise you couldn't move at all with your fingers. what's up with that razer?!?!?
the world's a playground. you know that when you're a kid, but somewhere along the way everyone forgets it.
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
November 20 2008 00:09 GMT
#12
all the pictures look the same to me..
anyways i use a combination
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17845 Posts
November 20 2008 00:10 GMT
#13
I alternate between all types of grip listed here according to what I need now.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
IzzyCraft
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States4487 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-11-20 00:12:32
November 20 2008 00:12 GMT
#14
Yeah the photos they show looks extreme almost like a claw gripper pushes the buttons with his finger tips. imo diff from claw and fingertip is when your do normal movements do you move it with your hand or with your fingers. I have a wrist rest so i have a inclination to only move my wrist at max and i usually don't have to. Frankly i think the diff is that a claw grip user moves the mouse with his arm in general but usually off sets it by useing his fingers for finer position. While a fingertip would be more inclied to just rest his or her wrist or bottom plam on the desk and only make small movements. If that makes any sence
I have ass for brains so,
even when I shit I'm droping knowledge.
SweeTLemonS[TPR]
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
11739 Posts
November 20 2008 00:12 GMT
#15
When browsing the internet, I use palm grip. When playing an FPS I use fingertip. If I'm doing some random speed test mouse game I use claw.
I'm never gonna know you now \ But I'm gonna love you anyhow.
meegrean
Profile Joined May 2008
Thailand7699 Posts
November 20 2008 00:13 GMT
#16
I never thought about my grip before..
Brood War loyalist
GeneralStan
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States4789 Posts
November 20 2008 00:16 GMT
#17
I wonder which grip Starcraft progamers use
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
IntoTheWow
Profile Blog Joined May 2004
is awesome32282 Posts
November 20 2008 00:19 GMT
#18
Claw, ROAR.
Moderator<:3-/-<
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
November 20 2008 00:23 GMT
#19
cool, they actually have these. I need one, but I don't wanna pay 20 bucks lol http://www.razerzone.com/p-88-razer-armadillo-mouse-cable-management-system.aspx
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
KizZBG
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
u gotta skate8152 Posts
November 20 2008 00:26 GMT
#20
lol I thought this thread was gonna be about wanking...
eSTRO for life | #2 Sea.Really fan! | #1 GosI[Flying] fan! | Clide - best SC2 terran!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
FEL
01:00
ScienceCraft Qualifier
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 536
BRAT_OK 49
MindelVK 12
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 31162
Bisu 2702
Shuttle 1679
Hyuk 1013
Mini 819
EffOrt 818
Larva 422
Soma 380
ZerO 243
firebathero 224
[ Show more ]
hero 137
sorry 72
Sexy 57
Hyun 46
PianO 45
Mong 42
Pusan 37
Trap 34
ToSsGirL 33
Killer 28
zelot 18
Terrorterran 16
Rock 13
JulyZerg 11
Bale 11
Sacsri 10
Noble 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 6
Dota 2
Gorgc10112
qojqva1638
Dendi1032
Counter-Strike
fl0m3106
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1485
crisheroes1146
Liquid`Hasu638
Other Games
singsing1975
B2W.Neo990
Beastyqt646
FrodaN547
Mlord386
Hui .236
Livibee184
Liquid`VortiX163
KnowMe117
ArmadaUGS110
Mew2King71
Trikslyr24
CosmosSc2 15
ZerO(Twitch)15
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream34
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• poizon28 60
• StrangeGG 39
• mYiSmile119
• Adnapsc2 18
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 10
• Azhi_Dahaki1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 7976
League of Legends
• Jankos1832
Other Games
• Shiphtur203
• WagamamaTV199
Upcoming Events
AI Arena Tournament
58m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2h 58m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
17h 58m
INu's Battles
19h 58m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
22h 58m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 2h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 2h
Replay Cast
1d 7h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 17h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 18h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 23h
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.