• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:00
CEST 01:00
KST 08:00
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)20Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10395 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 251

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 249 250 251 252 253 653 Next
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-23 05:08:09
December 23 2012 05:06 GMT
#5001
On December 23 2012 14:01 Craton wrote:
Right now I have 6 sticks of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231230 and a triple channel motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128423

If I were to change to a 1155 motherboard which was 4 slots of dual channel would there be any compatibility issues? I would think the RAM itself couldn't care less.

It doesn't care. Well, actually, for the sake of the integrated memory controller on the CPU, the proper operating voltage for the RAM should be 1.5V or so (1.65V is okay in the sense that overvolting and overclocking the CPU is kinda okay).

Though if you have a socket 1366 system, I'd recommend waiting until at least Haswell to upgrade, unless there's something in particular you can't really do now that an upgrade would help for. Bloomfield i7 to Haswell is already not a staggeringly huge upgrade—to Ivy Bridge would be even less. It's just a few more months away.
Medrea
Profile Joined May 2011
10003 Posts
December 23 2012 05:07 GMT
#5002
No issues, but upgrading to 1155 which is already end of life is a shaky idea.
twitch.tv/medrea
ssi.bal-listic
Profile Joined October 2010
United States568 Posts
December 23 2012 06:26 GMT
#5003
On December 22 2012 16:11 Belial88 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 22 2012 08:42 ssi.bal-listic wrote:
This is driving me crazy.
I have an alienware m17 r1 laptop and there is this noise coming from either fan or HD (probably fan). It sounds like scrolling the mouse wheel REALLY fast and x100 sound

I opened the laptop and cleaned it out pretty well but it doesn't help. I'm pretty sure it's the fan but I don't know how to make it stop.
Is my only option to tear the fan out and possibly replace it? Can I just command it to stop? This noise is driving me insane.


Disconnecting the fan sounds like a terrible idea, that's all you got cooling everything in the laptop. You should check a hw monitor like hwinfo to make sure things aren't overheating or doing long term damage. A fan running on low can be responsible for over 20*C+ in cooling, just on idle. I would strongly advise against disconnecting the fan and then continuing to use the laptop unless you REALLY know what you are doing.

Did the fan incrementally get like this over time, or was it all of the sudden like this?

There could be a couple reasons why your fan is doing what it's doing - bad power control (anything from damaged motherboard, power supply, fan modulator chip, software even), ran out of lube (how old is the computer/fan? although can happen with fresh fans too...), dirt/objects in fan well, bad connection or shorted wire (anywhere)...

If you have a desktop (or a psu if you're savvy enough), I'd plug in the fan to rule out the laptop being the problem, and that the fan is the problem. If it runs smoothly when connected to something else, then you have a more serious problem.

Since the fan is broken, you have nothing to lose by lubing up the fan.

Remove the fan head like such:


If you 'cant' remove it:


Then, lube it up:
http://www.overclock.net/t/773256/prepping-a-sleeve-bearing-fan-for-work
Very straightforward, just drop some mineral oil/machine oil/engine oil/fan lubruicant (anything works, mineral oil is very standard and you probably have laying around, whatever) into the fan well, put it back together, and see if it works.

You got nothing to lose, for all intents and purposes the fan is already broken so I'd recommend you lube it up, as that's most commonly the source of a loud fan, even like what is happening with your fan. If that doesn't work, then simply order another fan that's the same size with the same power connector (you could even upgrade/downgrade/buy stock, whatever).


Thanks for the response.
I have another fan next to the one I disconnected in the laptop so it's running on 1 fan instead of 2 now. This laptop's probably about 3-4 years old. I have a heatsink that kinda works so I'm hoping I won't overheat it too much?

It kind of happened suddenly. I tried cleaning the fans out because it was all dusty but that wasn't the problem.
I'll try lubing it up when I have extra time.
I'm not too good with dealing with computers so

"It's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you" "The strong one doesn't win, the one that wins is strong"
Craton
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States17303 Posts
December 23 2012 07:34 GMT
#5004
On December 23 2012 14:07 Medrea wrote:
No issues, but upgrading to 1155 which is already end of life is a shaky idea.

Is 2011 expected to replace it or something else?
twitch.tv/cratonz
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
December 23 2012 07:40 GMT
#5005
LGA 2011 is also dead.
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
December 23 2012 12:56 GMT
#5006
On December 23 2012 16:34 Craton wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 23 2012 14:07 Medrea wrote:
No issues, but upgrading to 1155 which is already end of life is a shaky idea.

Is 2011 expected to replace it or something else?



1150 in q2 2013
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
TheLastNagual
Profile Joined July 2012
Bulgaria6 Posts
December 24 2012 08:01 GMT
#5007
Hello guys! My first post here so please answer <3! I want to make myself a present for Christmas :D. And I wanted to upgrade my PC:
DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E6750, 2666 MHz (8 x 333)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 (1024 MB)
5 GB RAM (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
OS: Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
In the beggining (in sc2) I get like 140-160 fps (on low) 10th min 80-90 fps and late game around 25-30 fps..
Is it worth replacing my video card? Will I get lets say +50-60 fps at least? I want to buy GTX 460. Because I dont want to spend like 200 euro for + 20 fps :D Thanks!
Craton
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States17303 Posts
December 24 2012 08:17 GMT
#5008
Some basic benchmarks on the GPUs in question:
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=GeForce GT 220&id=72
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=GeForce GTX 460&id=31

I suppose the question becomes whether you're CPU or GPU limited. Your GPU is definitely a really low end card, but your CPU is also pretty old, though it seems better than the GPU comparatively.

I'd lean toward yes, but I'd also wait for someone who keeps up with them more to sound off.
twitch.tv/cratonz
Rachnar
Profile Joined October 2010
France1526 Posts
December 24 2012 11:20 GMT
#5009
Is it possible to use my laptop's wifi to internet on my desktop?
"What if it's a triple DK ?" "Then we cry" "Prepare your handkerchief then ..."
n0ise
Profile Joined April 2010
3452 Posts
December 24 2012 14:21 GMT
#5010
For streaming -

- i5 3570k + decent Mobo for OC + decent RAM for OC + a good cooler
OR
- i7 3770 non-k, with a worse mobo and stock cooler

I figure these would be roughly around the same price
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-24 17:42:42
December 24 2012 17:40 GMT
#5011
On December 24 2012 17:01 TheLastNagual wrote:
Hello guys! My first post here so please answer <3! I want to make myself a present for Christmas :D. And I wanted to upgrade my PC:
DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E6750, 2666 MHz (8 x 333)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 (1024 MB)
5 GB RAM (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
OS: Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
In the beggining (in sc2) I get like 140-160 fps (on low) 10th min 80-90 fps and late game around 25-30 fps..
Is it worth replacing my video card? Will I get lets say +50-60 fps at least? I want to buy GTX 460. Because I dont want to spend like 200 euro for + 20 fps :D Thanks!

The reason why fps is dropping as the game progresses is because of the CPU. Upgrading the GPU won't fix that. That said, if you want to play on higher graphics settings, upgrading the GPU would allow for that.

GTX 460 is two generations old, really only one past the GT 220, though of course much much faster. 300 series was more or less just a 200 series rebrand and skipped.


On December 24 2012 20:20 Rachnar wrote:
Is it possible to use my laptop's wifi to internet on my desktop?

I'm assuming the laptop and desktop both have Ethernet (and you have an Ethernet crossover cable IIRC?), or some similar setup. So yeah, at a high level, that's just asking the laptop to forward packets received on one interface out another. No problem.

Even in Windows you can just select the interfaces and bridge the connections or whatever they call it.


On December 24 2012 23:21 n0ise wrote:
For streaming -

- i5 3570k + decent Mobo for OC + decent RAM for OC + a good cooler
OR
- i7 3770 non-k, with a worse mobo and stock cooler

I figure these would be roughly around the same price

If you're streaming something CPU-intensive especially, overclocked i5-3570k would be better.

Note that these platforms don't really do any BCLK-based overclocking, i5-3570k multiplier is unlocked, so overclocking the RAM is not necessary. Decent RAM for overclocking won't make much difference (a few percentage points tops after extreme OC, usually less) in terms of performance, but if you feel like doing that anyway, you can get those low-profile Samsung low-voltage 1600 MHz RAM for pretty cheap (definitely within $5-10 of the cheapest stuff), and they're supposed to overclock like champs.

Also more importantly, note that a Xeon E3-1230 V2 costs just slightly more than an i5-3570k, but it's essentially a i7-3770 non-k. It's Ivy Bridge socket 1155 (and works on consumer motherboards; AsRock's whole lineup officially supports them, and probably so do many others) 4 cores / 8 threads. So the second option is effectively cheaper than you might think.
Rachnar
Profile Joined October 2010
France1526 Posts
December 24 2012 19:41 GMT
#5012
[
QUOTE]On December 24 2012 20:20 Rachnar wrote:
Is it possible to use my laptop's wifi to internet on my desktop?

I'm assuming the laptop and desktop both have Ethernet (and you have an Ethernet crossover cable IIRC?), or some similar setup. So yeah, at a high level, that's just asking the laptop to forward packets received on one interface out another. No problem.
/QUOTE]

Ok thanks, how exactly do i do that? I supose it's not just plug'n'play?
"What if it's a triple DK ?" "Then we cry" "Prepare your handkerchief then ..."
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
December 24 2012 20:11 GMT
#5013
On laptop, Control Panel -> ... -> Network Connections -> highlight both interfaces -> right click -> select Bridge Connections

Actually, I think I'm living way in the past and these days a special crossover cable between laptop and desktop is not necessary. Just try a normal Ethernet cable.

I've never actually tried it in Windows before, but it's simple enough and should work. There should be a gajillion results if you search for this kind of thing.
rd
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States2586 Posts
December 24 2012 20:16 GMT
#5014
Looking for a program that can temporarily re-map hotkeys that are recognized by a game Specifically, for some reason this game I'm playing will not let you bind ctrl+<key>. I figured I could map them in-game to something out of the way like <uiop> then set the program to map ctrl+<key> to the respective keys I mapped ingame, thus circumventing the issue.

Problem is I have no idea what I'm looking for. T_T
Risljaninasim
Profile Joined July 2011
Netherlands228 Posts
December 24 2012 21:24 GMT
#5015
What's the hashtag (next to report, quote, edit etc) for on each post?
;;
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
December 24 2012 21:26 GMT
#5016
On December 25 2012 05:16 rd wrote:
Looking for a program that can temporarily re-map hotkeys that are recognized by a game Specifically, for some reason this game I'm playing will not let you bind ctrl+<key>. I figured I could map them in-game to something out of the way like <uiop> then set the program to map ctrl+<key> to the respective keys I mapped ingame, thus circumventing the issue.

Problem is I have no idea what I'm looking for. T_T


http://www.autohotkey.com/

On December 25 2012 06:24 Risljaninasim wrote:
What's the hashtag (next to report, quote, edit etc) for on each post?


It's to link to the post.
Risljaninasim
Profile Joined July 2011
Netherlands228 Posts
December 24 2012 21:41 GMT
#5017
On December 25 2012 06:26 skyR wrote:

Show nested quote +
On December 25 2012 06:24 Risljaninasim wrote:
What's the hashtag (next to report, quote, edit etc) for on each post?


It's to link to the post.


Thanks.
;;
n.DieJokes
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States3443 Posts
December 24 2012 22:50 GMT
#5018
Can I uninstall sc2 beta without it affect sc2 proper. It's like 2 gigs sitting there and I'm not sure if I need it
MyLove + Your Love= Supa Love
Rachnar
Profile Joined October 2010
France1526 Posts
December 24 2012 23:34 GMT
#5019
On December 25 2012 05:11 Myrmidon wrote:
On laptop, Control Panel -> ... -> Network Connections -> highlight both interfaces -> right click -> select Bridge Connections

Actually, I think I'm living way in the past and these days a special crossover cable between laptop and desktop is not necessary. Just try a normal Ethernet cable.

I've never actually tried it in Windows before, but it's simple enough and should work. There should be a gajillion results if you search for this kind of thing.


Exactly that and done with an ethernet cable, Thanks a lot
"What if it's a triple DK ?" "Then we cry" "Prepare your handkerchief then ..."
Risljaninasim
Profile Joined July 2011
Netherlands228 Posts
December 25 2012 00:30 GMT
#5020
On December 25 2012 07:50 n.DieJokes wrote:
Can I uninstall sc2 beta without it affect sc2 proper. It's like 2 gigs sitting there and I'm not sure if I need it


If you uninstall the Hots beta it will have no effect on Wings of Liberty, if that is what you mean.
;;
Prev 1 249 250 251 252 253 653 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 11h 1m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE169
Nina 104
Nathanias 65
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 14156
Artosis 535
White-Ra 255
ToSsGirL 31
Dota 2
monkeys_forever391
NeuroSwarm141
League of Legends
Doublelift4308
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox997
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1869
Liquid`Hasu1377
Trikslyr69
Other Games
summit1g7440
Grubby3475
ArmadaUGS759
shahzam590
JimRising 339
C9.Mang0281
ZombieGrub60
Mew2King44
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV190
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream121
Other Games
gamesdonequick113
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 62
• davetesta40
• musti20045 31
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 36
• Azhi_Dahaki25
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra1207
• imaqtpie1059
• Shiphtur251
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
11h 1m
OSC
14h 1m
Stellar Fest
14h 1m
OSC
1d 1h
Stellar Fest
1d 14h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.