• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:28
CEST 14:28
KST 21:28
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20264Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Sagi.gg Launcher Released SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8438 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 116

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 114 115 116 117 118 653 Next
Nabutso
Profile Joined April 2011
351 Posts
April 26 2012 22:00 GMT
#2301
On April 27 2012 06:54 Halure wrote:
How challenging is it to overclock a 2500k? I've never done an overclock before and I'm planning on getting a 3570k for my new build so I'm hoping that the two overclock very similarly. Are there any good guides for first time OCers?


You enter bios, change a number, boot, test (Prime95)
Check voltages (CPUID or HWMonitor), set your own voltage (BIOS).. check temps.. Done.


On April 27 2012 06:56 Zushen wrote:
well i did specify what i was going to be using it for instead of asking a broad question like "what is a good AMD processor"

AMD is terrible, but I guess an X6 1100T? I wouldn't get a Bulldozer.
Sovano
Profile Joined November 2011
United States1503 Posts
April 27 2012 04:50 GMT
#2302
So I used installed an old HDD I had into my computer and the computer could start up fine. I had to install a lot of hardware however. Though now I have one last problem I have to tackle: my graphics card. The broken HDD I had I could play WC3 and BW just fine. Though now I can only play BW, and WC3 is unable to start. I noticed that my graphics card's memory is 64MB, which is strange because I could have sworn it was 256mb or 512mb before with my old HDD (I would guess 256mb). If it had been 64MB before I would have not been able to play WC3 before with my old HDD. I was average 60 FPS in Dota, and now I can't even start it. Any ideas?
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
April 27 2012 04:59 GMT
#2303
On April 27 2012 13:50 Sovano wrote:
So I used installed an old HDD I had into my computer and the computer could start up fine. I had to install a lot of hardware however. Though now I have one last problem I have to tackle: my graphics card. The broken HDD I had I could play WC3 and BW just fine. Though now I can only play BW, and WC3 is unable to start. I noticed that my graphics card's memory is 64MB, which is strange because I could have sworn it was 256mb or 512mb before with my old HDD (I would guess 256mb). If it had been 64MB before I would have not been able to play WC3 before with my old HDD. I was average 60 FPS in Dota, and now I can't even start it. Any ideas?


HDD is unlikely to be able to cause such specific issues. Likely you've got corrupted Windows system files/program files, etc. Considering that you've changed out hardware (I'm assuming that's what you mean by "install a lot of hardware", you really need to do a fresh install:

1. Backup date
2. Format the drive
3. Reinstall Windows
4. Install latest version of all drivers.

I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
Sovano
Profile Joined November 2011
United States1503 Posts
April 27 2012 05:06 GMT
#2304
On April 27 2012 13:59 TheToast wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 27 2012 13:50 Sovano wrote:
So I used installed an old HDD I had into my computer and the computer could start up fine. I had to install a lot of hardware however. Though now I have one last problem I have to tackle: my graphics card. The broken HDD I had I could play WC3 and BW just fine. Though now I can only play BW, and WC3 is unable to start. I noticed that my graphics card's memory is 64MB, which is strange because I could have sworn it was 256mb or 512mb before with my old HDD (I would guess 256mb). If it had been 64MB before I would have not been able to play WC3 before with my old HDD. I was average 60 FPS in Dota, and now I can't even start it. Any ideas?


HDD is unlikely to be able to cause such specific issues. Likely you've got corrupted Windows system files/program files, etc. Considering that you've changed out hardware (I'm assuming that's what you mean by "install a lot of hardware", you really need to do a fresh install:

1. Backup date
2. Format the drive
3. Reinstall Windows
4. Install latest version of all drivers.


Hm I guess that's worth a shot. I don't have much to back up anyways so that's fine. Though I have to wait till tomorrow since I have to sleep soon. Thanks for the quick response.
-Napkin
Profile Joined April 2012
United States41 Posts
April 27 2012 10:55 GMT
#2305
Which processor would be the best for gaming+Streaming..

http://ark.intel.com/products/52210 - i5 2500k
http://ark.intel.com/products/52271/ - Intel Xeon E3 1230
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103960 - AMD FX 8150(8 Core)
PM me for coaching
nam nam
Profile Joined June 2010
Sweden4672 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-27 11:03:48
April 27 2012 10:57 GMT
#2306
One of my friends have problems with an older computer of his and since I'm the least tech noob out of the two of us I'm trying to help him get it going or at least identify where the problem lies.

When windows (XP) starts up and you get to the login in screen for the users everything looks fine but as soon as you move the mouse or the keyboard the whole screen becomes slighty blurry and then locks a few seconds later. There's no blue screen, you just see a slightly blurry image of the screen you were watching as it locked up with some lines of color across the screen (it's a bit hard to explain but maybe you get the gist of it).

Booting in safe mode works perfectly fine so you can save everything important but I'm not really sure where the problems are. I've uninstalled all the recent programs, run a scandisk, scanned for viruses and done a system restore as well as reinstalled his drivers for his gpu. At first it looked like it might have help as I right after I had done the restore could log into windows and you could to what you normally does but a while later the same thing happened while we were loggin in.

I'm thinking about reinstalling windows to eliminate that aspect but he can't find his windows cd atm. Could it be some hardware failure? What would be the most likely suspect with this kind of problem? The graphics card? Is there something specific you can do while in safe mode?

Thanks.

I don't have all his component specific at the top of my head but the motherboard was Abit falat1ty *something something* with a Core 2 Duo ~1,8ish GHz. His gpu is a nvidia 8800 gs or gt. Nor sure what psu he's got. I can check if need-be.
Nabutso
Profile Joined April 2011
351 Posts
April 27 2012 13:50 GMT
#2307
On April 27 2012 19:55 -Napkin wrote:
Which processor would be the best for gaming+Streaming..

http://ark.intel.com/products/52210 - i5 2500k
http://ark.intel.com/products/52271/ - Intel Xeon E3 1230
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103960 - AMD FX 8150(8 Core)

i5 2500k hands down.
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
April 27 2012 14:00 GMT
#2308
On April 27 2012 19:57 nam nam wrote:
One of my friends have problems with an older computer of his and since I'm the least tech noob out of the two of us I'm trying to help him get it going or at least identify where the problem lies.

When windows (XP) starts up and you get to the login in screen for the users everything looks fine but as soon as you move the mouse or the keyboard the whole screen becomes slighty blurry and then locks a few seconds later. There's no blue screen, you just see a slightly blurry image of the screen you were watching as it locked up with some lines of color across the screen (it's a bit hard to explain but maybe you get the gist of it).

Booting in safe mode works perfectly fine so you can save everything important but I'm not really sure where the problems are. I've uninstalled all the recent programs, run a scandisk, scanned for viruses and done a system restore as well as reinstalled his drivers for his gpu. At first it looked like it might have help as I right after I had done the restore could log into windows and you could to what you normally does but a while later the same thing happened while we were loggin in.

I'm thinking about reinstalling windows to eliminate that aspect but he can't find his windows cd atm. Could it be some hardware failure? What would be the most likely suspect with this kind of problem? The graphics card? Is there something specific you can do while in safe mode?

Thanks.

I don't have all his component specific at the top of my head but the motherboard was Abit falat1ty *something something* with a Core 2 Duo ~1,8ish GHz. His gpu is a nvidia 8800 gs or gt. Nor sure what psu he's got. I can check if need-be.


If it works in Safe Mode, that would imply there's some issue with either a non-critical service which would be disabled during a safemode boot, or a driver.

You can try a Window's reinstall, but my suspicion is that there's an issue with the GPU. Booting in safe mode would disable the driver, which would force the video to a 640x480 or 800x600 maximum with no 3D acceleration/directx/open GL. Normally I'd say driver issue, but you've tried that already. My guess is there's some issue with the GPU that's causing the system to hang when the GPU attempts to display higher resolution or utilize 3d acceleration.

The only other thing I can suggest is take a look at the system event viewer in Safemode and see if it recorded the system errors. Right click on My Computer and go to Manage. In computer management go to the left side menu and select Event Viewer and then System Events, look for any red error messages.

I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
nam nam
Profile Joined June 2010
Sweden4672 Posts
April 27 2012 14:36 GMT
#2309
On April 27 2012 23:00 TheToast wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 27 2012 19:57 nam nam wrote:
One of my friends have problems with an older computer of his and since I'm the least tech noob out of the two of us I'm trying to help him get it going or at least identify where the problem lies.

When windows (XP) starts up and you get to the login in screen for the users everything looks fine but as soon as you move the mouse or the keyboard the whole screen becomes slighty blurry and then locks a few seconds later. There's no blue screen, you just see a slightly blurry image of the screen you were watching as it locked up with some lines of color across the screen (it's a bit hard to explain but maybe you get the gist of it).

Booting in safe mode works perfectly fine so you can save everything important but I'm not really sure where the problems are. I've uninstalled all the recent programs, run a scandisk, scanned for viruses and done a system restore as well as reinstalled his drivers for his gpu. At first it looked like it might have help as I right after I had done the restore could log into windows and you could to what you normally does but a while later the same thing happened while we were loggin in.

I'm thinking about reinstalling windows to eliminate that aspect but he can't find his windows cd atm. Could it be some hardware failure? What would be the most likely suspect with this kind of problem? The graphics card? Is there something specific you can do while in safe mode?

Thanks.

I don't have all his component specific at the top of my head but the motherboard was Abit falat1ty *something something* with a Core 2 Duo ~1,8ish GHz. His gpu is a nvidia 8800 gs or gt. Nor sure what psu he's got. I can check if need-be.


If it works in Safe Mode, that would imply there's some issue with either a non-critical service which would be disabled during a safemode boot, or a driver.

You can try a Window's reinstall, but my suspicion is that there's an issue with the GPU. Booting in safe mode would disable the driver, which would force the video to a 640x480 or 800x600 maximum with no 3D acceleration/directx/open GL. Normally I'd say driver issue, but you've tried that already. My guess is there's some issue with the GPU that's causing the system to hang when the GPU attempts to display higher resolution or utilize 3d acceleration.

The only other thing I can suggest is take a look at the system event viewer in Safemode and see if it recorded the system errors. Right click on My Computer and go to Manage. In computer management go to the left side menu and select Event Viewer and then System Events, look for any red error messages.


Thanks, I'll explore those things when I get the chance. Maybe I could try putting my gpu in his computer but I'd probably have to change the psu as well (I have a gtx 570 and his psu was something in the 300W area, I'll have to check to be sure)
-Napkin
Profile Joined April 2012
United States41 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-27 18:40:38
April 27 2012 18:36 GMT
#2310
On April 27 2012 22:50 Nabutso wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 27 2012 19:55 -Napkin wrote:
Which processor would be the best for gaming+Streaming..

http://ark.intel.com/products/52210 - i5 2500k
http://ark.intel.com/products/52271/ - Intel Xeon E3 1230
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103960 - AMD FX 8150(8 Core)

i5 2500k hands down.



Ah, turns out I have an AMD motherboard, so the i5 is out the window ..

Which of those 2 would you recommend for gaming+streaming? (If you have another processor I didn't mention, I'll go with that.. Just need something under $250-275... I currently have a AMD Phenom II x4 945 3.00GHz

EDIT -- Turns on I do not have a Xeon compatible motherboard.. So Is the AMD FX 8150 worth the upgrade from my AMD Phenom II x4 945 3.00GHz? Only decent AMD processor I could find for under $275 or so.
PM me for coaching
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-27 18:40:59
April 27 2012 18:40 GMT
#2311
On April 28 2012 03:36 -Napkin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 27 2012 22:50 Nabutso wrote:
On April 27 2012 19:55 -Napkin wrote:
Which processor would be the best for gaming+Streaming..

http://ark.intel.com/products/52210 - i5 2500k
http://ark.intel.com/products/52271/ - Intel Xeon E3 1230
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103960 - AMD FX 8150(8 Core)

i5 2500k hands down.



Ah, turns out I have an AMD motherboard, so the i5 is out the window ..

Which of those 2 would you recommend for gaming+streaming? (If you have another processor I didn't mention, I'll go with that.. Just need something under $250-275... I currently have a AMD Phenom II x4 945 3.00GHz


You're not going to significantly upgrade without buying an Intel motherboard, most likely. Knowing WHAT AMD motherboard you have would help, but if you don't want to change to a functional platform, IF your board can support it, swap to a Ph2 x6. Better than Bulldozer anyways.

An x6 would help you stream, with similar gaming performance.
-Napkin
Profile Joined April 2012
United States41 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-27 18:44:58
April 27 2012 18:42 GMT
#2312
On April 28 2012 03:40 JingleHell wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 28 2012 03:36 -Napkin wrote:
On April 27 2012 22:50 Nabutso wrote:
On April 27 2012 19:55 -Napkin wrote:
Which processor would be the best for gaming+Streaming..

http://ark.intel.com/products/52210 - i5 2500k
http://ark.intel.com/products/52271/ - Intel Xeon E3 1230
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103960 - AMD FX 8150(8 Core)

i5 2500k hands down.



Ah, turns out I have an AMD motherboard, so the i5 is out the window ..

Which of those 2 would you recommend for gaming+streaming? (If you have another processor I didn't mention, I'll go with that.. Just need something under $250-275... I currently have a AMD Phenom II x4 945 3.00GHz


You're not going to significantly upgrade without buying an Intel motherboard, most likely. Knowing WHAT AMD motherboard you have would help, but if you don't want to change to a functional platform, IF your board can support it, swap to a Ph2 x6. Better than Bulldozer anyways.

An x6 would help you stream, with similar gaming performance.



I have the FOXCONN 2AB1

http://www.findlaptopdriver.com/foxconn-motherboard-2ab1-specs-12242010h37/

All my specs - http://i47.tinypic.com/28cilbp.png

Hmm.. odd it says I have a SATA3 Driver but it doesn't list that it supports it on the website.
PM me for coaching
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-27 18:44:54
April 27 2012 18:44 GMT
#2313
On April 28 2012 03:36 -Napkin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 27 2012 22:50 Nabutso wrote:
On April 27 2012 19:55 -Napkin wrote:
Which processor would be the best for gaming+Streaming..

http://ark.intel.com/products/52210 - i5 2500k
http://ark.intel.com/products/52271/ - Intel Xeon E3 1230
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103960 - AMD FX 8150(8 Core)

i5 2500k hands down.



Ah, turns out I have an AMD motherboard, so the i5 is out the window ..

Which of those 2 would you recommend for gaming+streaming? (If you have another processor I didn't mention, I'll go with that.. Just need something under $250-275... I currently have a AMD Phenom II x4 945 3.00GHz

EDIT -- Turns on I do not have a Xeon compatible motherboard.. So Is the AMD FX 8150 worth the upgrade from my AMD Phenom II x4 945 3.00GHz? Only decent AMD processor I could find for under $275 or so.


Save your money and replace the motherboard when you can. Really not a whole lot of room to go up from a x4 945 within the AM3 socket. You could look at getting an X6, but realistically it's not going to provide that big of a leap in performance.

-edit: godamnit JH, ninja'ing again...
I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-27 18:47:38
April 27 2012 18:47 GMT
#2314
On April 28 2012 03:42 -Napkin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 28 2012 03:40 JingleHell wrote:
On April 28 2012 03:36 -Napkin wrote:
On April 27 2012 22:50 Nabutso wrote:
On April 27 2012 19:55 -Napkin wrote:
Which processor would be the best for gaming+Streaming..

http://ark.intel.com/products/52210 - i5 2500k
http://ark.intel.com/products/52271/ - Intel Xeon E3 1230
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103960 - AMD FX 8150(8 Core)

i5 2500k hands down.



Ah, turns out I have an AMD motherboard, so the i5 is out the window ..

Which of those 2 would you recommend for gaming+streaming? (If you have another processor I didn't mention, I'll go with that.. Just need something under $250-275... I currently have a AMD Phenom II x4 945 3.00GHz


You're not going to significantly upgrade without buying an Intel motherboard, most likely. Knowing WHAT AMD motherboard you have would help, but if you don't want to change to a functional platform, IF your board can support it, swap to a Ph2 x6. Better than Bulldozer anyways.

An x6 would help you stream, with similar gaming performance.



I have the FOXCONN 2AB1

http://www.findlaptopdriver.com/foxconn-motherboard-2ab1-specs-12242010h37/

All my specs - http://i47.tinypic.com/28cilbp.png

Hmm.. odd it says I have a SATA3 Driver but it doesn't list that it supports it on the website.


It doesn't support the higher TDP less terrible x6 CPUs, so frankly, don't bother. Save another $50 or so and upgrade to an Intel rig.
-Napkin
Profile Joined April 2012
United States41 Posts
April 27 2012 18:49 GMT
#2315
On April 28 2012 03:47 JingleHell wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 28 2012 03:42 -Napkin wrote:
On April 28 2012 03:40 JingleHell wrote:
On April 28 2012 03:36 -Napkin wrote:
On April 27 2012 22:50 Nabutso wrote:
On April 27 2012 19:55 -Napkin wrote:
Which processor would be the best for gaming+Streaming..

http://ark.intel.com/products/52210 - i5 2500k
http://ark.intel.com/products/52271/ - Intel Xeon E3 1230
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103960 - AMD FX 8150(8 Core)

i5 2500k hands down.



Ah, turns out I have an AMD motherboard, so the i5 is out the window ..

Which of those 2 would you recommend for gaming+streaming? (If you have another processor I didn't mention, I'll go with that.. Just need something under $250-275... I currently have a AMD Phenom II x4 945 3.00GHz


You're not going to significantly upgrade without buying an Intel motherboard, most likely. Knowing WHAT AMD motherboard you have would help, but if you don't want to change to a functional platform, IF your board can support it, swap to a Ph2 x6. Better than Bulldozer anyways.

An x6 would help you stream, with similar gaming performance.



I have the FOXCONN 2AB1

http://www.findlaptopdriver.com/foxconn-motherboard-2ab1-specs-12242010h37/

All my specs - http://i47.tinypic.com/28cilbp.png

Hmm.. odd it says I have a SATA3 Driver but it doesn't list that it supports it on the website.


It doesn't support the higher TDP less terrible x6 CPUs, so frankly, don't bother. Save another $50 or so and upgrade to an Intel rig.


Intel rig?
PM me for coaching
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-27 18:56:56
April 27 2012 18:55 GMT
#2316
On April 28 2012 03:49 -Napkin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 28 2012 03:47 JingleHell wrote:
On April 28 2012 03:42 -Napkin wrote:
On April 28 2012 03:40 JingleHell wrote:
On April 28 2012 03:36 -Napkin wrote:
On April 27 2012 22:50 Nabutso wrote:
On April 27 2012 19:55 -Napkin wrote:
Which processor would be the best for gaming+Streaming..

http://ark.intel.com/products/52210 - i5 2500k
http://ark.intel.com/products/52271/ - Intel Xeon E3 1230
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103960 - AMD FX 8150(8 Core)

i5 2500k hands down.



Ah, turns out I have an AMD motherboard, so the i5 is out the window ..

Which of those 2 would you recommend for gaming+streaming? (If you have another processor I didn't mention, I'll go with that.. Just need something under $250-275... I currently have a AMD Phenom II x4 945 3.00GHz


You're not going to significantly upgrade without buying an Intel motherboard, most likely. Knowing WHAT AMD motherboard you have would help, but if you don't want to change to a functional platform, IF your board can support it, swap to a Ph2 x6. Better than Bulldozer anyways.

An x6 would help you stream, with similar gaming performance.



I have the FOXCONN 2AB1

http://www.findlaptopdriver.com/foxconn-motherboard-2ab1-specs-12242010h37/

All my specs - http://i47.tinypic.com/28cilbp.png

Hmm.. odd it says I have a SATA3 Driver but it doesn't list that it supports it on the website.


It doesn't support the higher TDP less terrible x6 CPUs, so frankly, don't bother. Save another $50 or so and upgrade to an Intel rig.


Intel rig?


An intel brand CPU, like an i5? Unless you don't plan to overclock, which is sounding more and more likely, at which point you could do it now with your current budget, with an i5 2400 or 2500 non-k CPU, and an H67 motherboard.

The 2500k is specifically for overclocking, which requires a P67, Z68, or Z77 motherboard, all of which would go outside your budget. H67 has plenty of features for not overclocking, and costs less, which would let you upgrade to a considerably better Intel quad core and stream reasonably.
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-27 18:56:30
April 27 2012 18:56 GMT
#2317
On April 28 2012 03:49 -Napkin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 28 2012 03:47 JingleHell wrote:
On April 28 2012 03:42 -Napkin wrote:
On April 28 2012 03:40 JingleHell wrote:
On April 28 2012 03:36 -Napkin wrote:
On April 27 2012 22:50 Nabutso wrote:
On April 27 2012 19:55 -Napkin wrote:
Which processor would be the best for gaming+Streaming..

http://ark.intel.com/products/52210 - i5 2500k
http://ark.intel.com/products/52271/ - Intel Xeon E3 1230
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103960 - AMD FX 8150(8 Core)

i5 2500k hands down.



Ah, turns out I have an AMD motherboard, so the i5 is out the window ..

Which of those 2 would you recommend for gaming+streaming? (If you have another processor I didn't mention, I'll go with that.. Just need something under $250-275... I currently have a AMD Phenom II x4 945 3.00GHz


You're not going to significantly upgrade without buying an Intel motherboard, most likely. Knowing WHAT AMD motherboard you have would help, but if you don't want to change to a functional platform, IF your board can support it, swap to a Ph2 x6. Better than Bulldozer anyways.

An x6 would help you stream, with similar gaming performance.



I have the FOXCONN 2AB1

http://www.findlaptopdriver.com/foxconn-motherboard-2ab1-specs-12242010h37/

All my specs - http://i47.tinypic.com/28cilbp.png

Hmm.. odd it says I have a SATA3 Driver but it doesn't list that it supports it on the website.


It doesn't support the higher TDP less terrible x6 CPUs, so frankly, don't bother. Save another $50 or so and upgrade to an Intel rig.


Intel rig?


A computer using an Intel CPU.

-edit: JH, I swear I will end you.
I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
April 27 2012 18:57 GMT
#2318
On April 28 2012 03:56 TheToast wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 28 2012 03:49 -Napkin wrote:
On April 28 2012 03:47 JingleHell wrote:
On April 28 2012 03:42 -Napkin wrote:
On April 28 2012 03:40 JingleHell wrote:
On April 28 2012 03:36 -Napkin wrote:
On April 27 2012 22:50 Nabutso wrote:
On April 27 2012 19:55 -Napkin wrote:
Which processor would be the best for gaming+Streaming..

http://ark.intel.com/products/52210 - i5 2500k
http://ark.intel.com/products/52271/ - Intel Xeon E3 1230
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103960 - AMD FX 8150(8 Core)

i5 2500k hands down.



Ah, turns out I have an AMD motherboard, so the i5 is out the window ..

Which of those 2 would you recommend for gaming+streaming? (If you have another processor I didn't mention, I'll go with that.. Just need something under $250-275... I currently have a AMD Phenom II x4 945 3.00GHz


You're not going to significantly upgrade without buying an Intel motherboard, most likely. Knowing WHAT AMD motherboard you have would help, but if you don't want to change to a functional platform, IF your board can support it, swap to a Ph2 x6. Better than Bulldozer anyways.

An x6 would help you stream, with similar gaming performance.



I have the FOXCONN 2AB1

http://www.findlaptopdriver.com/foxconn-motherboard-2ab1-specs-12242010h37/

All my specs - http://i47.tinypic.com/28cilbp.png

Hmm.. odd it says I have a SATA3 Driver but it doesn't list that it supports it on the website.


It doesn't support the higher TDP less terrible x6 CPUs, so frankly, don't bother. Save another $50 or so and upgrade to an Intel rig.


Intel rig?


A computer using an Intel CPU.

-edit: JH, I swear I will end you.


Oops, now I'm in a jam!
.Mystic
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada486 Posts
April 27 2012 23:32 GMT
#2319
although this is a streaming question its pretty basic. Will reducing the fps rate i stream at help decrease my ingame lag or should i decrease resolution?
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
April 27 2012 23:38 GMT
#2320
On April 28 2012 08:32 NMx.StyX wrote:
although this is a streaming question its pretty basic. Will reducing the fps rate i stream at help decrease my ingame lag or should i decrease resolution?


That's a complicated question. What's your hardware and stream settings? The answer is most likely, but depending on what you're using, it might be something else entirely. Also, lag tends to refer to network issues. Is that what you mean, or are you abusing the word for something related to FPS?
Prev 1 114 115 116 117 118 653 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
Zoun vs herOLIVE!
SHIN vs TBD
IntoTheiNu 1240
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 280
Rex 83
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 55009
Calm 3926
Shuttle 3078
Bisu 1381
FanTaSy 1243
firebathero 386
Stork 277
Hyuk 262
Zeus 244
Mini 239
[ Show more ]
Soma 237
actioN 219
EffOrt 213
Rush 212
Soulkey 167
Last 144
Light 132
ZerO 119
Snow 103
Mong 75
PianO 68
Dewaltoss 66
Pusan 58
Killer 45
Barracks 44
JYJ 43
hero 38
Free 37
Shinee 36
ToSsGirL 32
NotJumperer 32
Bale 31
Aegong 23
Shine 22
Sharp 22
yabsab 20
Sacsri 19
HiyA 18
Noble 18
sorry 17
Dota 2
Gorgc6679
Dendi543
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1441
kRYSTAL_137
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King96
Heroes of the Storm
Lowko380
Other Games
gofns32869
singsing2000
B2W.Neo705
crisheroes260
DeMusliM231
hiko182
Livibee107
byalli47
ZerO(Twitch)5
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV216
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream23
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 6
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 28
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
OSC
32m
OSC
9h 47m
Replay Cast
10h 32m
OSC
1d 10h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 21h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.