• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:42
CEST 01:42
KST 08:42
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)61Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9186 users

[G] TheCore Lite - Advanced Keyboard Layout

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 49 50 51 Next
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-11-28 17:52:09
May 01 2012 19:58 GMT
#1
This is the first go at TheCore Lite. The idea is to incoporate as many of the benefits of TheCore as possible while keeping to the left side of the keyboard.

DOWNLOAD LINK


[image loading]



Chameleon 2.0.1
+ Show Spoiler +
Chameleon is an alternative hotkey layout to TheCore. It has all of the benefits of TheCore with the exception of the advantages that come from having the thumb on shift. This means that you can be on the conventional side of the keyboard, and can play on a laptop. No key removal or keyboard tilt required.

Chameleon is a one-size-fits-all layout. So there’s only one file to download, and it works equally well for all races. Chameleon works well with both ASDF and WASD homekeys so whether you’re a touch typer or a FPS player, you’ll be able to use your old muscle memory. Chameleon does not use any 3rd party programs, is tournament legal, and does not break any of the ToS for Starcraft 2. Remember that you do not have to make changes manually. Download and install instructions are at the bottom of this post.

Reference Spreadsheet

Guiding Principles:

Why use a Custom Layout?
+ Show Spoiler +
The individual advantages gained by these principles will seem insignificant; however, as Starcraft is a game of twitch reactions and timing windows as small as seconds, the many milliseconds you gain by each of these changes will allow you, with practice, to execute more commands in less time. This is an investment, if you go on the ladder without first getting used to this setup, you will lose games, but when you have memorized this new setup you will be better than before.


Economy of Motion
+ Show Spoiler +
The less you have to move, the faster you can execute commands. When playing guitar quickly it is a very important aspect to lift your fingers only as far above the string as you need to. This allows for the sweeping arpeggios and lightning fast scales played by the fastest guitarists on earth:

The same goes for Starcraft.


Avoid Reaching
+ Show Spoiler +
One of the most glaring examples of reaching in the standard hotkey setup is the Patrol hotkey as P. Firstly, most of us don’t have that key memorized in the fingers enough to snipe it without looking down at the keyboard, which can cost you. Secondly, even if you do, that’s time wasted moving your entire hand across the keyboard. Time that could have been spent making units, workers, buildings, catching a drop, micro-ing a battle, ANYTHING!


Avoid Repetitive Finger Strokes
+ Show Spoiler +
While this may seem the opposite to the above principle, it is instead a special exception. The closest key to the B key is certainly the B key… So why is it faster to press BA than it is to press BB? (try it if you don’t believe me) The answer to this is the same reason that it is faster to use a mouse and a keyboard instead of just a mouse, (but obviously on a smaller level because it involves using 2 fingers instead of 2 hands). When a piano player is required to hit the same key repetitively at a very fast rate, the player will use two fingers alternating back and forth, or in extreme situations, (like Billy Joel's Prelude/Angry Young Man):

the player will use two hands. Same thing for shooting with alternating fingers while playing paintball, the 1-2 punch… the list goes on…


Match the Most Frequently Used Keystrokes to the Most Ergonomically Efficient Keystrokes
+ Show Spoiler +
Let’s face it, how many times have you found a use for the M key for Move? How many times have you found a use for the P key as Patrol? If you’re like me, I find more uses for the Patrol hotkey, so why put it further away? The simple answer is that there is no reason you should have the Patrol Hotkey further away than the Move Hotkey.


Use Reason (Not Tradition) to Determine the Best Setup
+ Show Spoiler +
Again, this is an investment, traditions not based in reason hold back progress. In this case, the traditional hotkey setup is holding you back from faster reactions and more capacity for actions when they are needed. It is littered with keys on the far side of the keyboard, repetitive keystrokes, and less comfortable combinations for more frequently used commands. Just because Guardian Shield begins with a G doesn’t mean it’s the best hotkey for the job. Just because Psionic Storm has a T as the second letter in the second word doesn’t mean it’s the best hotkey for the job, detach yourself from this mental block and you will become faster.



TL:DR This is my first go at an optimized custom hotkey layout, to check out my most recent (and best) work, check out TheCore. To try out Chameleon, Download this file:

Chameleon - Advanced Hotkey Layout

put it here if you are a Windows user:
+ Show Spoiler +
Documents>My Documents>Starcraft II>Accounts>(Your account number)>Hotkeys(if there is no folder, create a new folder and name it Hotkeys)


put it here if you are a Apple user:
+ Show Spoiler +
Macintosh HD >Users >(Your user profile) >Library >Application Support >Blizzard >Star Craft II >Accounts >(Your account number)>Hotkeys(if there is no folder, create a new folder and name it Hotkeys)


In game, go to menu>hotkeys>Selected Profile and Chameleon should be in the drop down menu.

GLHF,
JaK




Projects I'm Involved in:
+ Show Spoiler +
The Core - Advanced Keyboard Layout
TheStaircase - Alternative Improvement Method
TheCore Lite - Advanced Keyboard Layout
Hybrid Graphic Settings
Static Defense Placement
Fast Facts - Tips, Tricks, and Trivia
TheCore - DotA 2 Edition


www.patreon.com/JaKaTaKtv
www.twitter.com/JaKaTaKtv
www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
www.facebook.com/JaKaTaKtv
www.twitch.tv/JaKaTaKtv
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-28 03:03:09
May 01 2012 20:14 GMT
#2
EDIT: TheJaKaTaK (a show to help noobs improve quickly) airs every night at 5pmPacific (8pm eastern) as of May 1, 2012. You can find the show at www.twitch.tv/thejakatak thanks for your support :D


I have saved all of my money and now have enough to live for a year without any income. I have done this to address a need in the Starcraft 2 community to bring in new players and teach misguided players how to learn Starcraft 2 in the most efficient manner possible. Day[9] does amazing work at something similar to what I want to accomplish, my goal will be to bring in people with no experience or little experience and build their fundamentals to the point where they can optimally benefit from people like Day[9], Artosis, and dApollo. I have put more work into this method of teaching than anything I have ever done. If you are interested in being on the show, or know someone who is, PM me. I look forward to helping to grow starcraft 2 and eSports as a whole. See you soon :D
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
cvgHuShang
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada95 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-01 20:18:05
May 01 2012 20:16 GMT
#3
I read a good portion of it and I agree with most things however I don't like that you only have two positions to save screen location. I think using f1-5 is better.

edit: ^ stuff above sounds legit
Make love not war, condoms are cheaper than guns.
Frozenhelfire
Profile Joined May 2010
United States420 Posts
May 01 2012 20:19 GMT
#4
I'd have to agree with the above. This hotkey layout may be the most efficient, but sacrificing functionality for efficiency is a pretty decent pitfall especially in regards to something like this. If I, or anyone else, were to spend time to unlearn a current hotkey layout and accept this one, I wouldn't want to be limited to only two screen locations.
polar bears are fluffy
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
May 01 2012 20:21 GMT
#5
There are 8 positions to save screen hotkeys. the 6 you are missing are accessed with the alt key, similar to the Darkgrid layout. No functionality has been sacrificed.
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
May 01 2012 20:25 GMT
#6
I edited the OP, I hope it is more clear now :D
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
May 01 2012 20:26 GMT
#7
On May 02 2012 05:16 cvgHuShang wrote:
I read a good portion of it and I agree with most things however I don't like that you only have two positions to save screen location. I think using f1-5 is better.

edit: ^ stuff above sounds legit


Thanks :D I am really really excited and have been testing for a while now. Its definitely the fastest way to teach starcraft 2 that I know of :D
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Frozenhelfire
Profile Joined May 2010
United States420 Posts
May 01 2012 20:26 GMT
#8
I see. I couldn't really find anything in the post talking about the camera locations until I checked out the spoiler for the people that can't get it to work. I'll give this a try. I'm going to have some hilariously bad games. Changing to a new hotkey layout may make a decent funday monday...
polar bears are fluffy
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
May 01 2012 20:30 GMT
#9
Holy shit, I think if Day[9] made that a funday monday and someone got on the show trying my layout, I would probably shit my pants immediately in excitement.
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Adonminus
Profile Joined January 2012
Israel543 Posts
May 01 2012 20:30 GMT
#10
Awesome man. Really nice setup, though I'm afraid it's a bit too late for me to re-memorize a hotkey setup, but I could definitely learn how to do some tweaks to play faster.
Giga
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United Kingdom114 Posts
May 01 2012 20:30 GMT
#11
Really interesting to read, I'm sure as hell going to try this out ;D
은하
cvgHuShang
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada95 Posts
May 01 2012 20:34 GMT
#12
Yes but, holding down alt does not help because the point of the f1-5 keys is to get there instantly, if i have to hold alt then that will be slower then clicking the location on the screen. I also think that saying this is the best hotkey setup will never actually be true because different people like different things. You also need to take into consideration different people have different hand sizes and like to place their hands on the keyboard differently. Like, in my case I have done something similar to yours in that I have changed almost every key but this would never work for me because i hold my hand facing at an angle towards my mouse, instead of away from it. Therefore a lot of these key combinations wouldn't work for me. Although, saying that I think the setup that most bronze-diamond players have is awful but only because they don't know any better. Basically, I don't think you should put this on your show in a way that they need to do it this way, but rather give them ideas on how to set up their hotkeys in different ways and then let them choose based on their own needs. However, if they're lazy and want to sacrifice perfect functionality.... basically I think you should just have an option on your show and more explanation on why !.
Make love not war, condoms are cheaper than guns.
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
May 01 2012 20:35 GMT
#13
On May 02 2012 05:30 Adonminus wrote:
Awesome man. Really nice setup, though I'm afraid it's a bit too late for me to re-memorize a hotkey setup, but I could definitely learn how to do some tweaks to play faster.


I would definitely consider trying it out. I used the standard setup for over a year before trying to mess around with it. It only took me a week of games to have it in my blood, but that was at 10 games a day. Good excuses to play a lot of games??
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
May 01 2012 20:36 GMT
#14
On May 02 2012 05:30 Xhiga wrote:
Really interesting to read, I'm sure as hell going to try this out ;D


Thank you so much. Please PM me and let me know how it goes for you! :D
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
May 01 2012 20:43 GMT
#15
On May 02 2012 05:34 cvgHuShang wrote:
Yes but, holding down alt does not help because the point of the f1-5 keys is to get there instantly, if i have to hold alt then that will be slower then clicking the location on the screen. I also think that saying this is the best hotkey setup will never actually be true because different people like different things. You also need to take into consideration different people have different hand sizes and like to place their hands on the keyboard differently. Like, in my case I have done something similar to yours in that I have changed almost every key but this would never work for me because i hold my hand facing at an angle towards my mouse, instead of away from it. Therefore a lot of these key combinations wouldn't work for me. Although, saying that I think the setup that most bronze-diamond players have is awful but only because they don't know any better. Basically, I don't think you should put this on your show in a way that they need to do it this way, but rather give them ideas on how to set up their hotkeys in different ways and then let them choose based on their own needs. However, if they're lazy and want to sacrifice perfect functionality.... basically I think you should just have an option on your show and more explanation on why !.


Really great feedback. I am of the opinion that pressing Alt+Q is faster and more reliable than clicking the minimap, but that is just my personal opinion. And I in no way believe that this hotkey setup is the "best". I do believe it is the "most efficient" in that the most commonly pressed commands are assigned to the fastest to press key locations. The title is a bit cocky though, I'll definitely give you that. As far as explanation goes, I will definitely get more into it on the show. I tried to keep the post as brief and to-the-point as possible so more people would read it. I am all about individuality, this is aimed to be the best layout for most people (it definitely wouldn't work for NaNiwa). Which key combinations wouldn't work for you?
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
TotoroHren
Profile Joined February 2012
Croatia31 Posts
May 01 2012 20:58 GMT
#16
I can say that this is totaly bullscheisse. Dude this is so stupid lol. Trust me all of you this wont work well don't even try. I am top master player so dont rage plz.

User was warned for this post
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
May 01 2012 21:00 GMT
#17
On May 02 2012 05:58 TotoroHren wrote:
I can say that this is totaly bullscheisse. Dude this is so stupid lol. Trust me all of you this wont work well don't even try. I am top master player so dont rage plz.


Lol Totoro :D you're feedback is definitely appreciated
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Dahkar
Profile Joined May 2011
United States13 Posts
May 01 2012 21:03 GMT
#18
Thoughts on using space bar as attack vs a?(I've always found this helped me tremendously with things like stutter stepping.)
Toastie
Profile Joined April 2012
Netherlands104 Posts
May 01 2012 21:05 GMT
#19
You have C/V for Unit/Building abilities.

But for example, Raven, OC, Ghost, Infestor, and probably some more, have 3 abilities. How do we use those?
What about Burrow? I like to ahve different hotkeys for burrow + unburrow.
And how do you construct buildings?

Kind regards
Never give up, never surrender!
Giga
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United Kingdom114 Posts
May 01 2012 21:13 GMT
#20
On May 02 2012 06:05 Toastie wrote:
You have C/V for Unit/Building abilities.

But for example, Raven, OC, Ghost, Infestor, and probably some more, have 3 abilities. How do we use those?
What about Burrow? I like to ahve different hotkeys for burrow + unburrow.
And how do you construct buildings?

Kind regards

It's S-W-Q I believe
은하
1 2 3 4 5 49 50 51 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft321
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta20
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft321
Nina 90
ViBE76
SpeCial 65
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 168
Noble 79
Hyuk 61
NaDa 41
Bale 14
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm140
League of Legends
Doublelift3993
Counter-Strike
minikerr9
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox414
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4741
Khaldor628
Other Games
summit1g7764
FrodaN1720
Coldzera 814
shahzam597
JimRising 391
C9.Mang0298
KnowMe208
ArmadaUGS61
Mew2King49
CosmosSc2 15
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick731
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream79
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH353
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21137
Other Games
• imaqtpie753
• Shiphtur161
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
10h 18m
Online Event
11h 18m
FEL
16h 18m
AI Arena Tournament
17h 18m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
19h 18m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 10h
INu's Battles
1d 12h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 19h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 19h
Replay Cast
2 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-01
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Proleague 2026-10-02
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.