• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:26
CEST 10:26
KST 17:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon106
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] 2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach Bot on ladder BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8267 users

[G] TheCore Lite - Advanced Keyboard Layout - Page 4

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 49 50 51 Next
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
May 02 2012 03:45 GMT
#61
On May 02 2012 12:43 Akamu wrote:
Hey high/mid masters T here. I'm giving this a shot over the next couple weeks. But im having trouble finding how to select all idle workers? Maybe im just herp derping but how do i do that?


I have never used that, or found a use for that? What do you use it for if you're high/mid masters?? (forgive my ignorance, i really thought it was a useless key)
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
ChimeraGaming
Profile Joined May 2012
United States5 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-02 03:55:22
May 02 2012 03:51 GMT
#62
I am definitely a fan of the left right split (JaKaTaK Righty) vs. the up and down split (your setup) because it guarantees that there are no repetitive finger uses. Where do you put your unit and building abilities with this setup? You have the whole block from 1 to V used up, i think... Am I missing something?


I use q for main army/lings w for banes/roaches (much like a control group only for marines) e for infestors and r for anything else i might need like mutas. I bind my hatches on 4 my creep spread queen on 1 and evos on 2 and 3. I also bind tech structures like spawning pool or roach warren on 5 and 6. I use the camera location method at each base to inject hatcheries!

I know my method of camera controls seems confusing, but notice i said i use the ctrl + shift modifiers at the same time to set all 8 locations. I only use ctrl to jump to them. This leaves no modifiers and shift modifiers all open. This allowed me to keep many of the same binds such as attack move while still being able to shift attack move. All my abilities and macro binds are on t, a-h, and z-b. I also have warp gates on ` (aka ~)

Hopefully this makes a bit more sense. It defiantly isn't the correct setup for everyone, but neither is any bind setup. The thing i must admit i like most is the fact that you aren't reaching for the function keys ever. And again no use of alt which is the bane of my existence in video games.
Angel_
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States1617 Posts
May 02 2012 03:55 GMT
#63
Is grey = black in this picture?

I tend to think that what's most efficient will vary from person to person and that regardless of what's most comfortable, what's best will basically just be what you practice at the most, but this is interesting information.
Awoodcol
Profile Joined January 2012
14 Posts
May 02 2012 04:32 GMT
#64
Off topic, I realize....but why do you say it isn't "larvae, it's larva. It's phonetic."? Larvae is just the plural of larva...
SirPsychoMantis
Profile Joined December 2011
United States180 Posts
May 02 2012 04:36 GMT
#65
On May 02 2012 12:34 JaKaTaK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 02 2012 11:58 SirPsychoMantis wrote:
I want to note that when I switched to Darkgrid it took me about a month / 35 games to get back to my old APM / larva spawning ratio (according to Sc2gears). Although I did write a trainer program to help me memorize the hotkeys.

Also I was low diamond at the time.

EDIT: Also I love the mouse keys (work great on the Deathadder) so I'll be sticking with Darkgrid, but maybe if there is a lot of demand I could adapt my program to also work with this layout.



A trainer program??? What was that like? What did you do do? What i mean to say is... Can you elaborate?


Here is my thread about it, Problem right now is I use the specific unit groupings for darkgrid.
Zerg #1
HyDr0iD
Profile Joined February 2011
Australia8 Posts
May 02 2012 05:00 GMT
#66
On May 02 2012 12:45 JaKaTaK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 02 2012 12:43 Akamu wrote:
Hey high/mid masters T here. I'm giving this a shot over the next couple weeks. But im having trouble finding how to select all idle workers? Maybe im just herp derping but how do i do that?


I have never used that, or found a use for that? What do you use it for if you're high/mid masters?? (forgive my ignorance, i really thought it was a useless key)


The select idle workers key is great if you have to spread workers out due to harassment, or just easily grab all workers if you let a base mine out completely. When I offrace as terran I also use the idle worker key to easily select my Supply Depot building SCVs as soon as they finish building a supply depot without having to waste a whole control group on them.
"Winning is everything, that losing isn't."
monk
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States8477 Posts
May 02 2012 05:02 GMT
#67
Tagged and changed title.
Moderator
Alvalanker
Profile Joined July 2011
United States253 Posts
May 02 2012 05:23 GMT
#68
Very interesting, I will definitely be looking into this when I have more time.
The fragile art of existence is kept alive by sheer persistence.
Deleted User 255289
Profile Joined March 2012
281 Posts
May 02 2012 05:46 GMT
#69
So, what are the benefits of hotkeying rax/fact/port on 1 hotkey as opposed to hotkeying them on 3 keys? I've always used 3 keys and i think pressing 7dd or 6s is faster than tabbing thru the groups. I find this crucial when macro while microing. So what do you think?
Zerg OP | CreansRNub | k-Poop | Zerg OP | Sea lions | \\m//
CakeSauc3
Profile Joined February 2011
United States1437 Posts
May 02 2012 06:23 GMT
#70
Hey JaKaTaK, i just messed around with this on a few comp stomps, and I have to say - this is genius work :D nice job. I can already feel that I'm gonna be a lot quicker and have more control over my gameplay. As I've been struggling a bit with losing my hands on the keyboard for a while now, this is gonna help me a lot. I'll keep playing with it for a while and see what it does for me in ladder games.

Drazzzt
Profile Joined September 2002
Germany999 Posts
May 02 2012 06:23 GMT
#71
Hi,
very interesting and thanks for your effort. I dont know if I should try it as i am playing with the other setup for such a long time now (>12 years if you take my bw background into account where at least the 1a2a3a4a etc hasn't changed). But on the other training your brain with new things is always good. The hard part would be really learning it cause I usually have only time for 5-10 games a month (!) :-).
Anyways, I still have a question about the screen hotkeys. I have to admit (it's embarrassing i know :-)) that i dont use any screen hotkeys at all, mainly relying on clicking on the minimap or pressing the space bar (which really can be a pain in the ass, I agree), but I'd like to. So, you say for zerg that you use 1 and tab for "creep cam/rally point". Unfortunately, I don't understand exactly what you mean by this. Could you elaborate a bit more? Are you resetting them all the time? creep spread is quite wide. where would be one spot to focus on? rally point?

Last question: HOTS will be out soon, don't you fear that your setup becomes somewhat obsolete then? Or at least hard to adapt again? Maybe I should wait till hots comes out as i have to learn new hotkeys anyways...mmh.
Be Nice, Be Fair, Be Mannered.
Akamu
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States309 Posts
May 02 2012 06:35 GMT
#72
On May 02 2012 12:45 JaKaTaK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 02 2012 12:43 Akamu wrote:
Hey high/mid masters T here. I'm giving this a shot over the next couple weeks. But im having trouble finding how to select all idle workers? Maybe im just herp derping but how do i do that?


I have never used that, or found a use for that? What do you use it for if you're high/mid masters?? (forgive my ignorance, i really thought it was a useless key)


wow really?! I'm quite surprised. I use it often, if i forget to shift click any workers back to minerals after building things or if a base mines out. I would normally just hit CTRL+ F1 and have them all selected and tell them where i want them to go.

Couldn't i in theory just keep it like that since i'm not using F1 in this current set up?
I hear your heart beat to the beat of the drums, what a shame that you came here with someone.
Drazzzt
Profile Joined September 2002
Germany999 Posts
May 02 2012 06:36 GMT
#73
On May 02 2012 14:00 HyDr0iD wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 02 2012 12:45 JaKaTaK wrote:
On May 02 2012 12:43 Akamu wrote:
Hey high/mid masters T here. I'm giving this a shot over the next couple weeks. But im having trouble finding how to select all idle workers? Maybe im just herp derping but how do i do that?


I have never used that, or found a use for that? What do you use it for if you're high/mid masters?? (forgive my ignorance, i really thought it was a useless key)


The select idle workers key is great if you have to spread workers out due to harassment, or just easily grab all workers if you let a base mine out completely. When I offrace as terran I also use the idle worker key to easily select my Supply Depot building SCVs as soon as they finish building a supply depot without having to waste a whole control group on them.

Oh, I didn't see this before. But YES! Select one or even ALL Idle worker hotkeys (F1 and STRG+F1) is really really important! But as long as it stays on F1 everything is fine. Did you change it or get rid of it?
Be Nice, Be Fair, Be Mannered.
Crushgroove
Profile Joined July 2010
United States793 Posts
May 02 2012 06:40 GMT
#74
This would almost be good if you put camera-state-saves and camera state control groups in there somewhere, but you completely overlooked them. I suppose I could continue using the function keys as I do..... but If the goal is efficiency, that would eliminate the point.
[In Korea on Vaca] "Why would I go to the park and climb a mountain? There are video games on f*cking TV!" - Kazuke
Drazzzt
Profile Joined September 2002
Germany999 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-02 07:16:28
May 02 2012 07:13 GMT
#75
On May 02 2012 15:40 Crushgroove wrote:
This would almost be good if you put camera-state-saves and camera state control groups in there somewhere, but you completely overlooked them. I suppose I could continue using the function keys as I do..... but If the goal is efficiency, that would eliminate the point.

Aehm? He hasn't forgotten them at all? He just calls them "screen hotkeys" and they are the GREY keys. 1, tab, alt-q,alt-w,alt-a etc. ( to set them he uses shift-tab, shift-1, strg-q, strg-w etc.)
Am I missing sth?

(even though it might be confusing that he uses strg-q and shift-1 and not shift-q, shift-1 (thus changing the assignment keys)
Be Nice, Be Fair, Be Mannered.
piiiT
Profile Joined October 2010
43 Posts
May 02 2012 10:00 GMT
#76
i cannot download it it just sends me to the google docs main page...
Crushgroove
Profile Joined July 2010
United States793 Posts
May 02 2012 10:10 GMT
#77
On May 02 2012 16:13 Drazzzt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 02 2012 15:40 Crushgroove wrote:
This would almost be good if you put camera-state-saves and camera state control groups in there somewhere, but you completely overlooked them. I suppose I could continue using the function keys as I do..... but If the goal is efficiency, that would eliminate the point.

Aehm? He hasn't forgotten them at all? He just calls them "screen hotkeys" and they are the GREY keys. 1, tab, alt-q,alt-w,alt-a etc. ( to set them he uses shift-tab, shift-1, strg-q, strg-w etc.)
Am I missing sth?

(even though it might be confusing that he uses strg-q and shift-1 and not shift-q, shift-1 (thus changing the assignment keys)


So he uses only tab and 1 for camera? You're saying he uses all of the alt keys for that also... I didn't see that he called them "screen hotkeys", but that hardly seems more efficient to me.. Wouldn't the old way of just hitting one button to recall a camera state, instead of alt+ a button be more efficient?
[In Korea on Vaca] "Why would I go to the park and climb a mountain? There are video games on f*cking TV!" - Kazuke
Tobberoth
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden6375 Posts
May 02 2012 10:28 GMT
#78
Using mouse buttons is actually faster (you can click a mouse button with one hand and press the keyboard with the other faster than doing both actions on just the keyboard) so I think it's misguided to try to make the case that this is more effective than darkgrid because this doesn't use the mouse, when it's technically the other way around.
kAelle_sc
Profile Joined April 2011
287 Posts
May 02 2012 11:16 GMT
#79
what do you think about jakatak, about the grid layout like stephano uses?
It's all about the journey, not the outcome.
Mesha
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Bosnia-Herzegovina439 Posts
May 02 2012 11:46 GMT
#80
I see you put a lot of effort in this and you believe its something great. I respect you for that and wish all the best.
But i am little confused. How is this better from for example grid hotkey setup? It's still ton of effort to learn (get used to it) everything, especially if i understood well, you plan on helping noobs. They can go either way to learn their hotkeys - it's still massive amount of time needed to get used to it. I think Stephano uses grid, and its efficient as hell, if i were starting all over again i would defenitely start with grid hotkey setup. Also i have to be honest, i don't really understand the whole thing about customizing hotkeys and just how efficient it is and how much it's better from regular hotkey setups. So i won't claim this is nonsense just because i don't get it. ^_^

GL with your project.
Reality hits you hard bro.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 49 50 51 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 34m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SortOf 197
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 1054
Bisu 437
HiyA 132
hero 95
Mong 46
Shine 34
Bale 29
sorry 26
NotJumperer 24
Killer 14
[ Show more ]
Terrorterran 12
Sharp 8
Noble 8
ZerO 5
Dota 2
febbydoto1
League of Legends
JimRising 504
Counter-Strike
ceh9539
Heroes of the Storm
WinterStarcraft779
crisheroes427
Other Games
summit1g8715
olofmeister943
PiGStarcraft347
Livibee149
ArmadaUGS39
ZerO(Twitch)0
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream579
Other Games
gamesdonequick510
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 11
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH322
• LUISG 35
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2394
League of Legends
• Rush1292
• Lourlo1086
• Jankos918
• Stunt462
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1h 34m
Afreeca Starleague
1h 34m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
15h 34m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 2h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.