• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:12
CEST 14:12
KST 21:12
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)65Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2314
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12265 users

[G] TheCore Lite - Advanced Keyboard Layout - Page 3

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 49 50 51 Next
Mikkerthebhu
Profile Joined May 2010
Denmark154 Posts
May 01 2012 22:52 GMT
#41
On May 02 2012 07:32 JaKaTaK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 02 2012 07:05 Mikkerthebhu wrote:
Edit: Just to help you, be careful of calling this hotkey setup the most efficient as it does not specify to what it is the most efficient to. Could it be saving babies, peeling bananas or learning to dance (me kidding with you). If you want to sell something for what it is, then use the right words like: Currently the fastest hotkey setup. Best balance of natural hand movement and logical hotkey structure etc. I hope you get my point. Being specific will gain you a lot more respect in this modern nerd culture than the sensationalism title (in lack of a better word).


Yea, I agree that the title was a mistake, (I've gotten a moderate amount of crap for it). I was hoping it would challenge people to critique the setup, (which is what I want) but now, I agree, that giving the post that title was the incorrect way of doing so. Do you think using the word "fastest" is more specific that "efficient"? I thought the opposite originally. I will change the title, thank you for the constructive criticism.


When I think of fastest I think naturally in accordance to APM. Which is not better whatsoever than your statement: When I think of efficiency I naturally think of the best hotkey setup which fulfills a set of specific requirements. Personally I am not sure what these requirements is. And I would probably advice you, based on my current knowledge, to give it a more moderate name like (Brainstorming):
1: Highly competitive hotkey setup.
2: Professional hotkey setup.
3: High level hotkey setup.
4: Logical structured hotkey setup made specifically for fast play and high apm.
5: Hotkey setup designed for high APM and natural hand movement.

I guess you are better at this than I am! :D

Carpe Diem
Mikkerthebhu
Profile Joined May 2010
Denmark154 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-01 22:56:26
May 01 2012 22:54 GMT
#42
On May 02 2012 07:43 HyDr0iD wrote:
A trick for those of you learning new hotkeys though, enable "Display Hotkey text" for the tile grid and anytime you get stuck you can just look down for a moment and see the right key. It is still faster than clicking on the portraits and will help you learn by playing rather than trying to commit all the keys to memory and getting really stuck in the middle of a game when you forget one.


I will second this because it is a fantastic advice. By lack of better tools, here is an imaginary reddit upvote.
Carpe Diem
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
May 02 2012 00:24 GMT
#43
On May 02 2012 07:52 Mikkerthebhu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 02 2012 07:32 JaKaTaK wrote:
On May 02 2012 07:05 Mikkerthebhu wrote:
Edit: Just to help you, be careful of calling this hotkey setup the most efficient as it does not specify to what it is the most efficient to. Could it be saving babies, peeling bananas or learning to dance (me kidding with you). If you want to sell something for what it is, then use the right words like: Currently the fastest hotkey setup. Best balance of natural hand movement and logical hotkey structure etc. I hope you get my point. Being specific will gain you a lot more respect in this modern nerd culture than the sensationalism title (in lack of a better word).


Yea, I agree that the title was a mistake, (I've gotten a moderate amount of crap for it). I was hoping it would challenge people to critique the setup, (which is what I want) but now, I agree, that giving the post that title was the incorrect way of doing so. Do you think using the word "fastest" is more specific that "efficient"? I thought the opposite originally. I will change the title, thank you for the constructive criticism.


When I think of fastest I think naturally in accordance to APM. Which is not better whatsoever than your statement: When I think of efficiency I naturally think of the best hotkey setup which fulfills a set of specific requirements. Personally I am not sure what these requirements is. And I would probably advice you, based on my current knowledge, to give it a more moderate name like (Brainstorming):
1: Highly competitive hotkey setup.
2: Professional hotkey setup.
3: High level hotkey setup.
4: Logical structured hotkey setup made specifically for fast play and high apm.
5: Hotkey setup designed for high APM and natural hand movement.

I guess you are better at this than I am! :D



I feel like people put too much weight on APM, although people would probably get pumped about a way to increase their APM. I think "A Very Efficient Custom Hotkey Layout" will do nicely. Do you agree? I really like the word competitive though, I think that captures it pretty well...
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
May 02 2012 00:25 GMT
#44
On May 02 2012 07:54 Mikkerthebhu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 02 2012 07:43 HyDr0iD wrote:
A trick for those of you learning new hotkeys though, enable "Display Hotkey text" for the tile grid and anytime you get stuck you can just look down for a moment and see the right key. It is still faster than clicking on the portraits and will help you learn by playing rather than trying to commit all the keys to memory and getting really stuck in the middle of a game when you forget one.


I will second this because it is a fantastic advice. By lack of better tools, here is an imaginary reddit upvote.


And I 3rd it and give my own imaginary reddit upvote to you! I always have this setting on. I was almost as pumped when I found this as when i found the BUILDING GRID! o_0
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Carbonthief
Profile Joined October 2010
United States289 Posts
May 02 2012 02:05 GMT
#45
I have one issue with the hotkey setup as it relates to protoss. You put stargate, robo, and gates all in the same hotkey. I dislike this.

First off, collosus (and carriers but lol) take forever to make. If you have a robo in the same group as something else, you can't
1. tap your hotkey to see progress of the collosus/other unit under construction
2. double tap your hotkey to jump directly to the robo/star to chrono boost it. This is the thing about protoss production, you have to look at your buildings on screen very often to chrono boost them.

A work around to point 2 would be to build all these buildings next to eachother, but that gets incredibly hairy with gateways also in the mix, and it's also just bad play for hiding tech and for minimizing harassment damage.

For similar reasons I don't like hotkeying forges with other buildings, because you have to chrono boost them too.

The other work around would be to just use the camera keys to accomplish these tasks, which would work for everything except you still couldn't tap to see the construction status of your collosus.

Just some feedback, I really like reading posts like this, and if anything I said is wrong or if I'm missing something, I'll be glad to read it. I'm really interested in optimizing hotkeys.
Nairi
Profile Joined September 2010
Finland75 Posts
May 02 2012 02:30 GMT
#46
some terran feedback, as I cant play the other races well enough to comment
First let me say that I use a setup known as Darkgrid (Modified to suit me better.), which is similar to yours.

Having all 3 production facilities in the same hotkey is something I've never understood. What if you just want to make a single banshee?
In theory, when producing from all 3 its good, but its way too inflexible for situations when you dont.
I use mouse4 and mouse5 for rax and CC+upgrades. (R for fact and T for port)
Also, I hotkey the techlab with the specific building so I can get unit upgrades from the same hotkey.
I feel that 7 groups for unit control is more than enough.

How do you build things?
I use F for normal build and D for advance buildings. This allows me to use two fingers instead of just one.
F-W is much faster than S-W (I take it that S & A are normal and advanced buildings).
I have hotkeyed marines as both f and s, as spamming both is faster and more precise than spamming just either/holding either down.

Live long and prosper -Han Solo. Twitter: @Nairisc
Fogetaboudit
Profile Joined July 2010
United States232 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-02 02:39:21
May 02 2012 02:37 GMT
#47
On May 02 2012 11:30 Nairi wrote:Having all 3 production facilities in the same hotkey is something I've never understood. What if you just want to make a single banshee?

I agree with this.

Also, how do you unlearn your old setup... it's SO PAINFUL for me. I've tried a few times to use new hotkeys and just can't go through with it. I'm trying this setup today but a midmasters player not being able to contribute in a gold 4v4 is just so rediculous.
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
May 02 2012 02:43 GMT
#48
On May 02 2012 11:05 Carbonthief wrote:
I have one issue with the hotkey setup as it relates to protoss. You put stargate, robo, and gates all in the same hotkey. I dislike this.

First off, collosus (and carriers but lol) take forever to make. If you have a robo in the same group as something else, you can't
1. tap your hotkey to see progress of the collosus/other unit under construction
2. double tap your hotkey to jump directly to the robo/star to chrono boost it. This is the thing about protoss production, you have to look at your buildings on screen very often to chrono boost them.

A work around to point 2 would be to build all these buildings next to eachother, but that gets incredibly hairy with gateways also in the mix, and it's also just bad play for hiding tech and for minimizing harassment damage.

For similar reasons I don't like hotkeying forges with other buildings, because you have to chrono boost them too.

The other work around would be to just use the camera keys to accomplish these tasks, which would work for everything except you still couldn't tap to see the construction status of your collosus.

Just some feedback, I really like reading posts like this, and if anything I said is wrong or if I'm missing something, I'll be glad to read it. I'm really interested in optimizing hotkeys.


Protoss is a pain when it comes to that. I've spent some time wresting with this problem before. I really don't want to sacrifice multi-pronged harass and army control potential by using 5 macro hotkeys like I used to. I have 1 screen hotkey (bound to 1) dedicated to chronoboost, I also have screen hotkeys for each base, so as long as my tech structure is near one of my bases I'm set. This is shitty for hiding tech (scans), so hidden tech chrono can only use the chronoboost screen hotkey.

As far as production, I really wish blizzard would use the animation for cooldown on warpgates on ALL UNIT PRODUCING STRUCTURES! That way you could see the status of everything at a glance. The issue is, that even with 5 macro hotkeys, once you have 2 of the same kind, you have to click the wireframe in the bottom of the screen to see individual progress. What do you do when you have double robo? Aside from blizzard making an aesthetic change, I can't figure out a solution to this problem. For now, I click on the wireframe to check status and use the screen hotkeys to the best of my ability. Hopefully someone at blizzard sees this and changes it for heart of the swarm...

Really good criticism. Thanks a lot man, I appreciate it :D Also, thanks for being such a nice guy about it :D
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
May 02 2012 02:46 GMT
#49
On May 02 2012 11:37 Fogetaboudit wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 02 2012 11:30 Nairi wrote:Having all 3 production facilities in the same hotkey is something I've never understood. What if you just want to make a single banshee?

I agree with this.

Also, how do you unlearn your old setup... it's SO PAINFUL for me. I've tried a few times to use new hotkeys and just can't go through with it. I'm trying this setup today but a midmasters player not being able to contribute in a gold 4v4 is just so rediculous.



Yea man, It'll take a little bit of time. You gotta put your pride on the shelf and grind it out for a week or so. It is an investment, once you learn the setup, it will pay you back with interest. Stay strong!

The way it works is, you shuffle over to the subgroup you want (for instance, starport) and then press the button you have for banshee once. That'll give you one banshee :D I actually really like it a lot :D
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
May 02 2012 02:56 GMT
#50
On May 02 2012 11:30 Nairi wrote:
some terran feedback, as I cant play the other races well enough to comment
First let me say that I use a setup known as Darkgrid (Modified to suit me better.), which is similar to yours.

Having all 3 production facilities in the same hotkey is something I've never understood. What if you just want to make a single banshee?
In theory, when producing from all 3 its good, but its way too inflexible for situations when you dont.
I use mouse4 and mouse5 for rax and CC+upgrades. (R for fact and T for port)
Also, I hotkey the techlab with the specific building so I can get unit upgrades from the same hotkey.
I feel that 7 groups for unit control is more than enough.

How do you build things?
I use F for normal build and D for advance buildings. This allows me to use two fingers instead of just one.
F-W is much faster than S-W (I take it that S & A are normal and advanced buildings).
I have hotkeyed marines as both f and s, as spamming both is faster and more precise than spamming just either/holding either down.



I have a lot of respect for FoxyMayhem and Darkgrid. In the comment above I explained how you can build exactly what you want with 100% flexibility even if all of your unit producing structures are on the same hotkey. I use V for basic build and C for advanced, that way i'm always using 2 fingers (buildings are QWASZXCV2) I make it so there is no overlap (CV is dark shrine, VC is cannon, there is no VV or CC).

If you want to keep using mouse buttons than Darkgrid is the way to go. I really dislike using mouse buttons and developed this to not utilize mouse buttons. I would definitely fool around with this one for a bit, trying to know how it'll be by looking at that nasty list of commands at the end is much harder than just putting the file in the proper place and loading up a game. I'd be really interested in what you think of it once you've played around a bit.

P.S. Did I answer the "how to make a single banshee" question properly? Do you understand how that works now? It was hard for me to figure out where you were coming from, please specify an example if I haven't already addressed your question completely.

Thanks :D
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
SirPsychoMantis
Profile Joined December 2011
United States180 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-02 02:59:41
May 02 2012 02:58 GMT
#51
I want to note that when I switched to Darkgrid it took me about a month / 35 games to get back to my old APM / larva spawning ratio (according to Sc2gears). Although I did write a trainer program to help me memorize the hotkeys.

Also I was low diamond at the time.

EDIT: Also I love the mouse keys (work great on the Deathadder) so I'll be sticking with Darkgrid, but maybe if there is a lot of demand I could adapt my program to also work with this layout.
Zerg #1
Carbonthief
Profile Joined October 2010
United States289 Posts
May 02 2012 03:14 GMT
#52
On May 02 2012 11:43 JaKaTaK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 02 2012 11:05 Carbonthief wrote:
I have one issue with the hotkey setup as it relates to protoss. You put stargate, robo, and gates all in the same hotkey. I dislike this.

First off, collosus (and carriers but lol) take forever to make. If you have a robo in the same group as something else, you can't
1. tap your hotkey to see progress of the collosus/other unit under construction
2. double tap your hotkey to jump directly to the robo/star to chrono boost it. This is the thing about protoss production, you have to look at your buildings on screen very often to chrono boost them.

A work around to point 2 would be to build all these buildings next to eachother, but that gets incredibly hairy with gateways also in the mix, and it's also just bad play for hiding tech and for minimizing harassment damage.

For similar reasons I don't like hotkeying forges with other buildings, because you have to chrono boost them too.

The other work around would be to just use the camera keys to accomplish these tasks, which would work for everything except you still couldn't tap to see the construction status of your collosus.

Just some feedback, I really like reading posts like this, and if anything I said is wrong or if I'm missing something, I'll be glad to read it. I'm really interested in optimizing hotkeys.


Protoss is a pain when it comes to that. I've spent some time wresting with this problem before. I really don't want to sacrifice multi-pronged harass and army control potential by using 5 macro hotkeys like I used to. I have 1 screen hotkey (bound to 1) dedicated to chronoboost, I also have screen hotkeys for each base, so as long as my tech structure is near one of my bases I'm set. This is shitty for hiding tech (scans), so hidden tech chrono can only use the chronoboost screen hotkey.

As far as production, I really wish blizzard would use the animation for cooldown on warpgates on ALL UNIT PRODUCING STRUCTURES! That way you could see the status of everything at a glance. The issue is, that even with 5 macro hotkeys, once you have 2 of the same kind, you have to click the wireframe in the bottom of the screen to see individual progress. What do you do when you have double robo? Aside from blizzard making an aesthetic change, I can't figure out a solution to this problem. For now, I click on the wireframe to check status and use the screen hotkeys to the best of my ability. Hopefully someone at blizzard sees this and changes it for heart of the swarm...

Really good criticism. Thanks a lot man, I appreciate it :D Also, thanks for being such a nice guy about it :D


Yeah double robo does suck in that way. As do double stargate openings vs zerg. As for upgrades though, I currently simply do not hotkey forges at all, and just check them manually by double tapping something near my forges. Don't have to click on them after jumping the screen there, and I can just chrono boost. That's what I have to do for double robo and double star to check production status too, have to just move the screen over them. There's no other way, unless you want to click your wireframes.

Sacrificing hotkeying forges, which I feel is a reasonable sacrifice because upgrades take so long and you have to constantly give the forge a new command and you have to screen over the forge to chrono boost anyways, allows me to fit all buildings into 3 groups though, nexus robo and star. Then I just use the wargate button for gates. I use my robo button for gateways, and then when warpgate finishes I convert it to a robo button. This leaves me with 7 unit control groups.
NeutraLiTe
Profile Joined January 2011
United States49 Posts
May 02 2012 03:25 GMT
#53
Thanks for your response about my questions concerning this vs Darkgrid. I'm actually using the mouseless version of Darkgrid because I'm left-handed (right hand on mouse, so mouse button presses take me 3x as long as key presses).

For those asking about the learning process of this hotkey set, I'd imagine it's comparable to Darkgrid. I used the Darkgrid Trainer software and a smurf account to work my way up from Bronze back to Platinum, since mechanically-speaking with the new hotkey set I was a Bronze-level player again. Once I hit Platinum with Darkgrid it didn't take but about another 15 games before I was Diamond and knocking off Master-level players because of how much my mechanics had improved.

One of the main reasons I use Darkgrid is I am a classical pianist during the day, so I'm sort of hard-wired to carry out micromovement-related tasks in the most efficient and ergonomic way possible. If you can convince me in your write-up that this layout is more efficient and will lead to me being even faster than when I use Darkgrid, I'll switch in a heartbeat.
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
May 02 2012 03:29 GMT
#54
On May 02 2012 12:14 Carbonthief wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 02 2012 11:43 JaKaTaK wrote:
On May 02 2012 11:05 Carbonthief wrote:
I have one issue with the hotkey setup as it relates to protoss. You put stargate, robo, and gates all in the same hotkey. I dislike this.

First off, collosus (and carriers but lol) take forever to make. If you have a robo in the same group as something else, you can't
1. tap your hotkey to see progress of the collosus/other unit under construction
2. double tap your hotkey to jump directly to the robo/star to chrono boost it. This is the thing about protoss production, you have to look at your buildings on screen very often to chrono boost them.

A work around to point 2 would be to build all these buildings next to eachother, but that gets incredibly hairy with gateways also in the mix, and it's also just bad play for hiding tech and for minimizing harassment damage.

For similar reasons I don't like hotkeying forges with other buildings, because you have to chrono boost them too.

The other work around would be to just use the camera keys to accomplish these tasks, which would work for everything except you still couldn't tap to see the construction status of your collosus.

Just some feedback, I really like reading posts like this, and if anything I said is wrong or if I'm missing something, I'll be glad to read it. I'm really interested in optimizing hotkeys.


Protoss is a pain when it comes to that. I've spent some time wresting with this problem before. I really don't want to sacrifice multi-pronged harass and army control potential by using 5 macro hotkeys like I used to. I have 1 screen hotkey (bound to 1) dedicated to chronoboost, I also have screen hotkeys for each base, so as long as my tech structure is near one of my bases I'm set. This is shitty for hiding tech (scans), so hidden tech chrono can only use the chronoboost screen hotkey.

As far as production, I really wish blizzard would use the animation for cooldown on warpgates on ALL UNIT PRODUCING STRUCTURES! That way you could see the status of everything at a glance. The issue is, that even with 5 macro hotkeys, once you have 2 of the same kind, you have to click the wireframe in the bottom of the screen to see individual progress. What do you do when you have double robo? Aside from blizzard making an aesthetic change, I can't figure out a solution to this problem. For now, I click on the wireframe to check status and use the screen hotkeys to the best of my ability. Hopefully someone at blizzard sees this and changes it for heart of the swarm...

Really good criticism. Thanks a lot man, I appreciate it :D Also, thanks for being such a nice guy about it :D


Yeah double robo does suck in that way. As do double stargate openings vs zerg. As for upgrades though, I currently simply do not hotkey forges at all, and just check them manually by double tapping something near my forges. Don't have to click on them after jumping the screen there, and I can just chrono boost. That's what I have to do for double robo and double star to check production status too, have to just move the screen over them. There's no other way, unless you want to click your wireframes.

Sacrificing hotkeying forges, which I feel is a reasonable sacrifice because upgrades take so long and you have to constantly give the forge a new command and you have to screen over the forge to chrono boost anyways, allows me to fit all buildings into 3 groups though, nexus robo and star. Then I just use the wargate button for gates. I use my robo button for gateways, and then when warpgate finishes I convert it to a robo button. This leaves me with 7 unit control groups.


WOAH! I was just doing some testing and when you have multiple types of buildings in the same hotkey group it prioritizes certain buildings. I'll get a full list out later, but so far FORGES TAKE TOP PRIORITY. chronoboosing upgrade problem solved I feel its much better to hotkey the forges to the nexus control group than not hotkey them at all, that way you can be reminded of them and quickly get the next level upgrade.

Concerning the issue with using the warpgate button, is that it is still a button that has to fit somewhere on the keyboard, and there is a limited amount of room. by combining the warpgate button, stargate control group, and robo room is saved to make the pressing of the rest of the buttons faster. Also, this is waaaaay better for people who play random or people who like to change races for fun.

And I have the personal opinion that maximal control groups will be the future of how starcraft is played, so i want as many as possible :D
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
May 02 2012 03:34 GMT
#55
On May 02 2012 11:58 SirPsychoMantis wrote:
I want to note that when I switched to Darkgrid it took me about a month / 35 games to get back to my old APM / larva spawning ratio (according to Sc2gears). Although I did write a trainer program to help me memorize the hotkeys.

Also I was low diamond at the time.

EDIT: Also I love the mouse keys (work great on the Deathadder) so I'll be sticking with Darkgrid, but maybe if there is a lot of demand I could adapt my program to also work with this layout.



A trainer program??? What was that like? What did you do do? What i mean to say is... Can you elaborate?
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
ChimeraGaming
Profile Joined May 2012
United States5 Posts
May 02 2012 03:39 GMT
#56
I didn't read over the entire thing, but i did look at the binds. For me this keybind set up is not great. I find it very difficult to hit alt comfortably.

I recently changed my keybinds about a week ago and my apm has increased by 60 so far. I use 1-6 for control groups q-r for control groups and ctrl shift a-f, z-v for camera location saves. I use ctrl a-f, z-v to jump to those camera locations. I use tab for patrol, and z for move to. Capslock is used to jump to bases. Then of course i went through and rebound all my units which was not bad at all. Took me about 2 days to get use to and i noticed huge improvements right off the start.

I'm not saying this is the best keybind set up, and I think everyone should just find out what works best for them.
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
May 02 2012 03:40 GMT
#57
On May 02 2012 12:25 NeutraLiTe wrote:
Thanks for your response about my questions concerning this vs Darkgrid. I'm actually using the mouseless version of Darkgrid because I'm left-handed (right hand on mouse, so mouse button presses take me 3x as long as key presses).

For those asking about the learning process of this hotkey set, I'd imagine it's comparable to Darkgrid. I used the Darkgrid Trainer software and a smurf account to work my way up from Bronze back to Platinum, since mechanically-speaking with the new hotkey set I was a Bronze-level player again. Once I hit Platinum with Darkgrid it didn't take but about another 15 games before I was Diamond and knocking off Master-level players because of how much my mechanics had improved.

One of the main reasons I use Darkgrid is I am a classical pianist during the day, so I'm sort of hard-wired to carry out micromovement-related tasks in the most efficient and ergonomic way possible. If you can convince me in your write-up that this layout is more efficient and will lead to me being even faster than when I use Darkgrid, I'll switch in a heartbeat.



Hey hey, I'm coming from the same place, I'm a guitarist and studied classical vocal technique in College. I'll be sure to have the write up as soon as possible for ya! Tomorrow is day #2 of TheJaKaTaK and day 1 went pretty bumpy from a technical standpoint so I'm gonna be working really hard to learn how to use xsplit tomorrow. But the write up should come soon :D I appreciate your consideration and input on the learning curve
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Yoshi Kirishima
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States10382 Posts
May 02 2012 03:42 GMT
#58
Wow, great work!

It definitely looks very good. However, I'm not sure if I prefer to have my terran buildings on different hotkeys or grouped all in one. The pro of being grouped on one means you can tap 1 and see all of the production, but it's 1 more click if you need to produce out of everything (like in a late game situation when you need to remax quickly or something, vs trying to keep constant production). Another con of this is if you're producing units out of rax, fact, and starport. If you're doing some early game pressure like rax/fact and starport+tech lab for marine hellion banshee, having to press Space each time to get to the building I want will slow down the time I can put into micro. And of course another big pro is that you have more hotkeys for drops/flanks and such. So I'm definitely going to consider this.

(Though anyways if I do such a strategy or just generally in the early game, I can use those 2 "flank/harass" hotkeys along with the building hotkey to fit my rax, fact, and starport individually, then later on I can group them all together if I find i need to use more hotkeys to harass/flank).
Mid-master streaming MECH ONLY + commentary www.twitch.tv/yoshikirishima +++ "If all-in fails, all-in again."
Akamu
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States309 Posts
May 02 2012 03:43 GMT
#59
Hey high/mid masters T here. I'm giving this a shot over the next couple weeks. But im having trouble finding how to select all idle workers? Maybe im just herp derping but how do i do that?
I hear your heart beat to the beat of the drums, what a shame that you came here with someone.
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-12 18:43:49
May 02 2012 03:44 GMT
#60
On May 02 2012 12:39 ChimeraGaming wrote:
I didn't read over the entire thing, but i did look at the binds. For me this keybind set up is not great. I find it very difficult to hit alt comfortably.

I recently changed my keybinds about a week ago and my apm has increased by 60 so far. I use 1-6 for control groups q-r for control groups and ctrl shift a-f, z-v for camera location saves. I use ctrl a-f, z-v to jump to those camera locations. I use tab for patrol, and z for move to. Capslock is used to jump to bases. Then of course i went through and rebound all my units which was not bad at all. Took me about 2 days to get use to and i noticed huge improvements right off the start.

I'm not saying this is the best keybind set up, and I think everyone should just find out what works best for them.


I am definitely a fan of the left right split (Chameleon) vs. the up and down split (your setup) because it guarantees that there are no repetitive finger uses. Where do you put your unit and building abilities with this setup? You have the whole block from 1 to V used up, i think... Am I missing something?

EDITED for name change
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 49 50 51 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
20:00
BamsPatch 1.0 Weekly #3
Liquipedia
CranKy Ducklings
19:00
Sea Duckling Open #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings103
CranKy Ducklings SOOP37
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko298
SHIN 155
ProTech129
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 28981
Hyuk 1387
Shuttle 1243
Bisu 1133
Mind 369
Mini 294
Larva 263
firebathero 235
EffOrt 220
Soma 186
[ Show more ]
Last 123
ZerO 106
Leta 96
Hm[arnc] 94
Zeus 77
Hyun 71
Pusan 63
Trap 37
hero 32
Sexy 32
Killer 31
Bale 29
ToSsGirL 29
PianO 28
sorry 28
Aegong 24
yabsab 13
zelot 13
Noble 10
JulyZerg 9
Sacsri 7
ajuk12(nOOB) 4
Dota 2
Dendi1005
qojqva742
XcaliburYe633
XaKoH 449
Gorgc39
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1592
Other Games
gofns39145
singsing2598
B2W.Neo1168
crisheroes324
Happy298
DeMusliM230
Livibee121
Mew2King108
ToD104
ArmadaUGS55
ZerO(Twitch)6
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream209
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 62
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 8192
League of Legends
• Jankos1719
Other Games
• WagamamaTV232
Upcoming Events
FEL
3h 48m
AI Arena Tournament
4h 48m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6h 48m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
21h 48m
INu's Battles
23h 48m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 6h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 6h
Replay Cast
1d 11h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 21h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 22h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.