• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:30
CEST 10:30
KST 17:30
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War435.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror TL Sidebar missing streams Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9402 users

US Politics Mega-thread - Page 884

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 882 883 884 885 886 6005 Next
Now that we have a new thread, in order to ensure that this thread continues to meet TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we will be enforcing the rules in the OP more strictly. Be sure to give them a complete and thorough read before posting!

NOTE: When providing a source, please provide a very brief summary on what it's about and what purpose it adds to the discussion. The supporting statement should clearly explain why the subject is relevant and needs to be discussed. Please follow this rule especially for tweets.

Your supporting statement should always come BEFORE you provide the source.


If you have any questions, comments, concern, or feedback regarding the USPMT, then please use this thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/website-feedback/510156-us-politics-thread
ShoCkeyy
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
7815 Posts
October 31 2018 03:27 GMT
#17661
I had a debate today in my family about this EO Trump talked about with birth rights, and I'm sure I won. The person started to resort to calling me names in spanish, started to get angry, and continously tried to bet me "$50" on Trump executing the EO. I obviously denied, and continued to provide factual bases on why I think he was wrong. I even asked to show me where Trump exactly said he meant "Illegal Immigrants", and he had no source.
Life?
Sermokala
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States14211 Posts
October 31 2018 04:01 GMT
#17662
You don't win arguments about politics with your family.
A wise man will say that he knows nothing. We're gona party like its 2752 Hail Dark Brandon
ShoCkeyy
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
7815 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-10-31 04:33:43
October 31 2018 04:28 GMT
#17663
I don't think it was an argument, no one was yelling, but I was trying to get him to realize that he used the same law to have his children obtain citizenship. Either way, it's just annoying, today was a rough day in the family, and you have a far right supporter spouting right news during a reunion. It was either we all stayed silent, and let him continue, or some how hope to have him realize he's being an asshole. While there were other supporters of the right there, they're more decent in the sense. I say I won because after not having a source, he just calmed down, even though I get your point that it doesn't matter within family.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm happy that I didn't keep quiet, and even if it was with family. I think that's the best place to start to try and have an open conversation before it does really turn into a right vs left thing.
Life?
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
October 31 2018 04:57 GMT
#17664
On October 31 2018 13:01 Sermokala wrote:
You don't win arguments about politics with your family.


Wisdom. No matter who "wins", you always lose.

That and the fact that I straight up can't stand discussing politics with anyone who isn't close to my level of knowledge or argumentation expertise. I don't even tell my friends I follow politics because they say shit, shit I agree with, and I just want to die because of how garbage their reasoning is.

It's actually kind of amazing how much this thread has ruined IRL political discourse for me. I always think to myself "man, the republicans I chat with online would rip you apart".
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44372 Posts
October 31 2018 05:09 GMT
#17665
On October 31 2018 07:10 Adreme wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 31 2018 00:54 Mohdoo wrote:
On October 31 2018 00:48 TheTenthDoc wrote:
I wonder if they'll actually have a competent draft of their first EO or they'll make a very stupid overreach/misunderstanding again-the only way this has even a shred of "not already been ruled on" is if it is written very clearly that it only applies to children of undocumented people and is built around a "the only 'people' in the Constitution are citizens and lawful residents and visitors,' and even then it's on shaky legal ground.


If they want to end birthright citizenship, there's a lot of ways they can do it. They could even just dismantle the offices that handle it and do some kinda disabling thing to just make it not happen.


Even if you somehow could do that, any judge orders them made a citizen instantly because the constitution says so directly. This isn't an implied power, it is outright stated and you can't shut down the part of the government that handles it and then think you don't have to do it.

The law is the law and this one has no wiggle room.

Judges don’t issue proof of citizenship. Citizenship doesn’t help you, it’s proof of citizenship people need.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
iamthedave
Profile Joined February 2011
England2814 Posts
October 31 2018 08:21 GMT
#17666
On October 31 2018 13:57 Mohdoo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 31 2018 13:01 Sermokala wrote:
You don't win arguments about politics with your family.


Wisdom. No matter who "wins", you always lose.

That and the fact that I straight up can't stand discussing politics with anyone who isn't close to my level of knowledge or argumentation expertise. I don't even tell my friends I follow politics because they say shit, shit I agree with, and I just want to die because of how garbage their reasoning is.

It's actually kind of amazing how much this thread has ruined IRL political discourse for me. I always think to myself "man, the republicans I chat with online would rip you apart".


It's something of a truism that whoever you are, right or left, your friends are the people who convince your political opponents that everyone on your side of the divide is an imbecile.
I'm not bad at Starcraft; I just think winning's rude.
Dromar
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States2145 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-10-31 08:33:12
October 31 2018 08:30 GMT
#17667
On October 31 2018 13:57 Mohdoo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 31 2018 13:01 Sermokala wrote:
You don't win arguments about politics with your family.


Wisdom. No matter who "wins", you always lose.

That and the fact that I straight up can't stand discussing politics with anyone who isn't close to my level of knowledge or argumentation expertise. I don't even tell my friends I follow politics because they say shit, shit I agree with, and I just want to die because of how garbage their reasoning is.

It's actually kind of amazing how much this thread has ruined IRL political discourse for me. I always think to myself "man, the republicans I chat with online would rip you apart".


I'm experiencing the same thing. My friends have gotten into a few political discussions lately, and they know I'm very interested in politics. I try to just observe and listen, and I often end up frustrated and disappointed. The people I agree with have shitty, emotion-based arguments, and the people I disagree with are the ones who use logic and seem open-minded (though their arguments still have a ton of holes).

The nights often don't end well, and I hope they realize they aren't getting anywhere useful. But they seem unable to restrain themselves, for the time being at least.

I've been lurking and reading every page of this thread for the past 3 years, and while it has its highs and lows, I think it has been a really good discussion all around, and exposes me to viewpoints (and logic) that I otherwise wouldn't have experienced.
Adreme
Profile Joined June 2011
United States5574 Posts
October 31 2018 11:49 GMT
#17668
On October 31 2018 14:09 KwarK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 31 2018 07:10 Adreme wrote:
On October 31 2018 00:54 Mohdoo wrote:
On October 31 2018 00:48 TheTenthDoc wrote:
I wonder if they'll actually have a competent draft of their first EO or they'll make a very stupid overreach/misunderstanding again-the only way this has even a shred of "not already been ruled on" is if it is written very clearly that it only applies to children of undocumented people and is built around a "the only 'people' in the Constitution are citizens and lawful residents and visitors,' and even then it's on shaky legal ground.


If they want to end birthright citizenship, there's a lot of ways they can do it. They could even just dismantle the offices that handle it and do some kinda disabling thing to just make it not happen.


Even if you somehow could do that, any judge orders them made a citizen instantly because the constitution says so directly. This isn't an implied power, it is outright stated and you can't shut down the part of the government that handles it and then think you don't have to do it.

The law is the law and this one has no wiggle room.

Judges don’t issue proof of citizenship. Citizenship doesn’t help you, it’s proof of citizenship people need.


Yes, but a judge can say "These people are citizens and you have 30 days to grant all affected parties the proper paperwork." Judge says that and barring appeal that is the end of that and honestly most judges probably would not stay that ruling so appealing won't slow it down.


KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44372 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-10-31 15:10:08
October 31 2018 12:34 GMT
#17669
On October 31 2018 20:49 Adreme wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 31 2018 14:09 KwarK wrote:
On October 31 2018 07:10 Adreme wrote:
On October 31 2018 00:54 Mohdoo wrote:
On October 31 2018 00:48 TheTenthDoc wrote:
I wonder if they'll actually have a competent draft of their first EO or they'll make a very stupid overreach/misunderstanding again-the only way this has even a shred of "not already been ruled on" is if it is written very clearly that it only applies to children of undocumented people and is built around a "the only 'people' in the Constitution are citizens and lawful residents and visitors,' and even then it's on shaky legal ground.


If they want to end birthright citizenship, there's a lot of ways they can do it. They could even just dismantle the offices that handle it and do some kinda disabling thing to just make it not happen.


Even if you somehow could do that, any judge orders them made a citizen instantly because the constitution says so directly. This isn't an implied power, it is outright stated and you can't shut down the part of the government that handles it and then think you don't have to do it.

The law is the law and this one has no wiggle room.

Judges don’t issue proof of citizenship. Citizenship doesn’t help you, it’s proof of citizenship people need.


Yes, but a judge can say "These people are citizens and you have 30 days to grant all affected parties the proper paperwork." Judge says that and barring appeal that is the end of that and honestly most judges probably would not stay that ruling so appealing won't slow it down.



Doesn’t work that way. I have proper paperwork at the moment and still can’t open a bank account with Chase because their staff are inadequately trained on what is acceptable and my physical Green Card has an expired date on it (but is extended in combination with a MRIV).

Legally being in the right doesn’t help. The right paperwork is all that works. Whether you would eventually win in a protracted legal battle isn’t what matters, what matters is whether you can pass through immigration at the border, whether you can vote, whether you can open bank accounts, get a mortgage, obtain financing etc.

I’m white, well educated, middle class, and have done everything by the book and I still can’t get the documentation that I need, not because I’m illegible, just because it’s underfunded.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
October 31 2018 13:00 GMT
#17670
Chase once demanded a power of attorney to accept an agreement signed by someone's attorney. They operate from a flow chart and are incapable from deviating from it.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
FueledUpAndReadyToGo
Profile Blog Joined March 2013
Netherlands30548 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-10-31 13:55:29
October 31 2018 13:55 GMT
#17671
On October 31 2018 05:12 Womwomwom wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 31 2018 05:05 TheTenthDoc wrote:
The interesting thing about that story is that it's not clear whether it was to smear Mueller or a Project Veritas-esque "hahahaha stupid journalists we got you to believe our fabricated sting!" style deal that fell totally flat when it came to Roy Moore.

Then again, the GOP isn't above trying to do both those things at once.


It’s a smear. Jacob Wohl, kid who really freaking loves Trump, has already been busted as a perpetrator because kid can’t stop himself from using personal email addresses with his name in them and his mum’s phone number to register the relevant websites peddling this garbage.

To think this asshole might end up in jail not for securities fraud but for the shortest smear campaign in the history of the internet.

If you spam maga memes on twitter fanatically enough, you start to believe you're a capable operative I guess.
Neosteel Enthusiast
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
October 31 2018 17:16 GMT
#17672
This story by Nina Totenberg is just nice to read in a coupe weeks of really shitty news. The first it is sort of amazing that O’conner Was in law school in the 1950s and my god women’s hair styles were brutal back then(the side part is bad). Though O’Conner’s outgrow game is on point.

I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
November 01 2018 15:18 GMT
#17673
At this point, I am basically assuming Democrats take senate and republicans keep the house. Because the world is just weird.
Biff The Understudy
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
France8199 Posts
November 01 2018 15:24 GMT
#17674
On November 02 2018 00:18 Mohdoo wrote:
At this point, I am basically assuming Democrats take senate and republicans keep the house. Because the world is just weird.

I am assuming the republicans win everything because I can’t remember last time something not horrifying happened in politics.
The fellow who is out to burn things up is the counterpart of the fool who thinks he can save the world. The world needs neither to be burned up nor to be saved. The world is, we are. Transients, if we buck it; here to stay if we accept it. ~H.Miller
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
November 01 2018 15:26 GMT
#17675
I operate on Red Sox based superstition and do not predict the future this close to the event.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
November 01 2018 15:29 GMT
#17676
On November 02 2018 00:26 Plansix wrote:
I operate on Red Sox based superstition and do not predict the future this close to the event.

Same, I'm holding any personal predictions in abeyance for superstitious reasons
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
November 01 2018 15:48 GMT
#17677
--- Nuked ---
TheTenthDoc
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States9561 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-11-01 16:03:45
November 01 2018 16:02 GMT
#17678
It's fascinating that the POTUS is consuming and spreading this kind of garbage media. I guess you really can't teach an old dog new tricks.

At least in the past parties were genteel enough to farm it out to people like Swiftboat Veterans for Truth.
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
November 01 2018 16:08 GMT
#17679
I don’t think those tactics are doing the Republicans any favors in the last couple weeks. The overt racial overtones his messaging coupled with the recent violence is making people afraid. Not of illegal immigrants, but of political violence. There was a poll that over 40% of the country blamed Trump for the divisive state of politics. That isn’t a good stat going into the mid terms and not a sign he should be ramping it up. But he only knows one way to win.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-11-01 16:13:29
November 01 2018 16:11 GMT
#17680
Folks, this is very very bad and we need to pray it was not the Saudi goverment that did this. If you want to see things escalate very quickly, people dying on US soil is how it starts.

I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Prev 1 882 883 884 885 886 6005 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 30m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Free 1062
Soulkey 246
Soma 215
sorry 144
Larva 111
Mind 72
ZerO 36
soO 22
ajuk12(nOOB) 18
scan(afreeca) 18
League of Legends
JimRising 600
Counter-Strike
edward245
Other Games
summit1g8473
singsing1119
WinterStarcraft697
Coldzera 682
Sick210
ZerO(Twitch)9
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick724
BasetradeTV220
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 15
• LUISG 5
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2235
League of Legends
• Jankos1790
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
1h 30m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
Online Event
3h 30m
AI Arena Tournament
8h 30m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
10h 30m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 1h
Patches Events
1d 6h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 10h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 10h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.