• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:45
CEST 14:45
KST 21:45
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War625.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6668 users

what is happiness to you? - Page 5

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 11 Next All
Kich
Profile Joined April 2011
United States339 Posts
September 10 2012 06:37 GMT
#81
On September 10 2012 15:24 cari-kira wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 10 2012 15:09 Kich wrote:
On September 10 2012 14:59 cari-kira wrote:
On September 10 2012 14:47 Kich wrote:
Happiness is pretty fucking simple. There was a time in high school where I was really mopey about shit all the time and then I was like, "This isn't worth it, I'm just going to be happy about shit and do things that make me happy."

It's been like, I dunno, 8 or 9 years now and I've been almost universally happy about everything. Happiness is a choice. Find shit that makes you happy and just be like "This is how I need to feel about everything." You know what it was for me? Putting on new socks. I was like "This feeling is how I should feel about doing anything." So I did. And after that it was being good at Counter-strike, and then it was being good at WoW, and then it was being good at Magic, and then it was being good at my major in college, and then it was being good at looking good, and then it was just the general understanding that I'm kind of an awesome dude and I should be ok in life. And now I'm ok in life because I have a lot of self esteem because I made myself have a lot of self esteem.

Relevant video:
http://www.ted.com/talks/shawn_achor_the_happy_secret_to_better_work.html

The relevant concept of the video is that happiness is mostly created within. By knowing everything about you as a person it's only possible to predict 10% of your longterm happiness, 90% of it is created from within, it's how you perceive reality. And that's pretty much it at it's core. Don't look for happiness, experience it. If happiness is something you are trying to achieve you're actively doing it wrong. Happiness is a state of mind. You can literally train yourself to be happy and that video goes over a lot of good ways of doing it. For example: write down 3 different things you're grateful for every day without repeating them for 21 days, over the course of time your mind starts actively searching for positive things rather than negative things. It gets harder to dig deep and find something completely new to be happy about as the time goes on but there's always something.

Another book that really helped me achieve happiness was The Paradox of Choice. I read this book in my junior year of college and it literally changed my life. I've lived by it's ideas ever since and I've come to a point where decision making for me is near instantaneous and I've never been disappointed about a decision I've made for the past 3 years. To put it very simply, the book explains that a lot of human anxiety and depression can be linked to the sheer number of choices that we have when making decisions. When you want to buy a new watch, you have online stores, local malls, thousands of different watches you can buy. The fact that you can return it if you don't like it makes it even worse, it makes decisions meaningless and stressful. Some people might spend all day browsing only to find three or four different watches that they couldn't decide between.

Think about how often that kind of shit happens to you. Any decision in which you have 2 or more choices and you have trouble making that decision. You buy one, but then you know what immediately happens to most people? They start thinking about the things they liked about the other ones and constantly question the choice they made. This causes a ton of stress. You don't want that.

This has gone kind of long, but here's my advice to legit teaching yourself to be happy:

Step 1: Spend an enormous amount of your time self-analyzing yourself specifically about things that make you happy. If you like a band, really sit down and evaluate exactly what about their music makes you like them. Is it certain riffs or tones or lyrics they use? If you like a color, what it is about that color, where else do you see it? I mean like, dig fucking deep about absurdly minor things. What kind of cups do you like drinking out of, what kind of textures do you like feeling with your hands, what shape of shoes do you like, what breakfast foods do you like, what smells do you like, really examine everything about everything. I ask people around me about stuff like this a lot and I literally lost count of how many people have told me that they only have these kinds of conversations with me. A lot of people (most) don't think about what makes them happy or why it even does. But when you can accurately assess what about certain things makes you happy you've opened up a path. You can definitively say "I really like this because of this." It doesn't even have to be logical, I don't really like pancakes that much because they're too bready--the fuck does that even mean? I know what it means but it's still a sort of undefined term.

I should make it clear that step 1 took me about a year, maybe a year and a half.

Step 2: Through analyzing what makes you happy you'll find that you realize you don't like a lot of things for no particular reason other than you don't. Which is fine. This is where you should learn to make better choices IE: Read "The Paradox of Choice" and follow that shit to the core. Guess how long it took me to buy my watch that I get constant praise and recognition for? No more than 12 seconds. Walked up to counter, said I wanted a square face with no numbers on it, was presented with like 12 in the case. First one I looked at, bought it. Not every choice is a snap decision, but honest to god most choices just don't fucking matter enough to worry about them. It's a goddamn watch. Learning to make smaller decisions better translates well into making harder bigger decisions easier. It often comes down to simply asking yourself "which one would make me happier"? Which you know what? You'll know after step 1.

Step 3: Step 3 happens sort of simultaneously through steps 1 and 2 but it's positive psychology at it's core. Just be ok with who you are and what you like doing and stop having so much nerd shame and shit. Be ok with what you look like, be ok with what you like, be ok with the decisions you make, and be ok with you who are.

I would highly recommend reading The Men's Fashion Thread here on team liquid. Learn to look good. It sounds stupid but you do feel better about yourself when you spend time to make yourself look good. And as an added bonus and plug, I'm quoted on their front post about what it actually means to appreciate fashion and how you look: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=306479

It's exactly why I dress well. I spend money on that shit. People noticing makes me feel better and there's actually nothing wrong with it, you know why? Because I notice too. I get up, I get dressed, and I'm like "Fuckin a I look good." and it's stupid shit like that that reinforces that I'm happy about myself.

I taught myself to be happy, I taught myself to make decisions that make me happy, I taught myself to be happy with who I am, and I go out of my way to try and teach others the same thing. Happiness in it's entirety is about how you perceive your own reality.


reads like a "howto being a proud prig"


That seems to contradict your signature. But you're obviously correct. Knowing what makes you happy, making better decisions, and appreciating yourself for who you are aren't ways to be happy at all. Just find something else that makes yourself happy...that'll work.

(That was sarcasm, I legitimately wouldn't advise doing that)


well i had a bad conscience writing that, but reading this and him being so scientology-like propagating the true way to happiness step by step i just had to. no happiness comes from that. you just try to ignore your true feelings by "reprogramming" yourself, but after some years it will kick back, when you realize that you are only an empty shell.


It's not about reprogramming yourself, you clearly misread it. It's about actively acknowledging what's already there. Do you have any idea how infrequently people actually ask and legitimately answer explicitly what makes them happy or what about something makes them happy? Once you can actually quantify what it is about whatever already makes you happy you're more conscious about what makes you happy to begin with and you can cater your lifestyle towards it.

I don't understand what in my post constituted "reprogramming", the entirety of it is saying, in your own words, that you should analyze what your "true feelings" are and why they're like that.

What draws you to the cereal you eat in the morning, what radio stations do you like to listen to, what kind of humor do you like, etc. That isn't making these things up you're asking yourself "Why?" when presented with something you already like and are answering it to let yourself learn about yourself.

I can't even tell you how many people, that if you were to really dig deep on them, know almost nothing about themselves--you want to talk about being like a robot, look at most people. They listen to music they eat food they dress a certain way and it's all automatic, they have no idea why and they don't even bother to ask themselves. They have trouble making basic life decisions because they have no grip of what it is that actually makes them happy. When you know what makes you happy, truly happy, making decisions towards that end becomes much easier, it tumbles into a lifestyle where for the most part you just like everything because you surround yourself with things you like, people you like, you dress the way you like, and you like yourself.

To address the scientology remark, I'm a devout athiest.
Kickboxer
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Slovenia1308 Posts
September 10 2012 06:46 GMT
#82
The fuzzy happiness is chilling with friends or boning the misses.

The lingering happiness is reading an amazing book or making a sick play.

The solid happiness is growing as a person or accomplishing a tiny goal.
Ea
Profile Joined March 2011
United States121 Posts
September 10 2012 06:52 GMT
#83
When I can die without leaving anyone or anything behind
HomeWorld
Profile Joined December 2011
Romania903 Posts
September 10 2012 06:55 GMT
#84
What is happiness ? .. hmm
From a cynical point of view it's just a chemical process, nothing more, shared by other species and not specific to humans I might dare to add.
The purpose of happiness?
Hell if I know right now, just woke up and I was quite happy to find the coffee already done (could it be one of the mechanisms that regulates social interaction?)
Supamang
Profile Joined June 2010
United States2298 Posts
September 10 2012 09:34 GMT
#85
On September 10 2012 10:03 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
Are you absolutely destitute? Dying of hunger? Do you have a terminal disease?

Find something that makes you appreciate life, even if you're not the best at it. Find a hobby or a job, or just enjoy the little things. Find a person who respects you and loves you for who you are.

Necessary video:

I hate it when people try to tell you that you don't have a right to be unhappy because there are people dying in the Middle East, or because of starvation in North Korea, or because of anything happening in Africa in general. Yea, its good to look at those situations to gain some perspective on your life in general, but if someone isn't where they want to be in life why don't they have a right to be unhappy? Oh and next time youre at a funeral, please go ahead and tell the bereaved that they should buck the fuck up because theyre not dying of hunger. I'm sure that'll cheer them right up.

Also, your second paragraph is just you describing the problem again...

- "Hi DarkPlasmaBall, I'm unhappy. I have nothing and nobody in my life that makes me appreciate life! Can you help me out?"
- "Well Supamang, the answer is very simple. Just go find yourself a hobby or a job that makes you appreciate life, or find a person who respects you and loves you for who you are."
- "Uhhhh but I just told you that I cant find any of those things...."
- "Well then, if all else fails think about Africa!"

I just don't like how condescending this post is. You make happiness sound so simple when it really isnt.

@OP - As stupid as it sounds, being dissatisfied with your current situation is good for personal growth. For me personally, I find happiness in progress and personal growth. I can say that I'm almost never happy or satisfied with my current situation, but just knowing that I've been given the resources and opportunities (as opposed to being given starvation and terminal disease) to work towards getting myself to where I want to be is enough to give me the drive to keep going. Signs of my own progress are primarily what give me happiness. For others, its signs that other people care for them. I would set aside some time to contemplate your own life and figure out what it is exactly that youre looking for.

Jukulmolder
Profile Joined April 2011
Spain254 Posts
September 10 2012 09:52 GMT
#86
Happiness is like Waldo. You want to find it, a lot of books tell you how to, but in the end you're just frustrated at how difficult it is.
"IT'S THE SCYTHE, ISN'T IT? PEOPLE ALWAYS NOTICE THE SCYTHE"
Hider
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Denmark9448 Posts
September 10 2012 11:11 GMT
#87
Comming.
rod-
Profile Joined June 2011
Norway379 Posts
September 10 2012 11:25 GMT
#88
Happiness for me is waking up on Sundays and find out that I didn't drunk dial anyone.
IMmvp~~
Hamsterdam
Profile Joined September 2010
New Zealand59 Posts
September 10 2012 13:11 GMT
#89
Happiness is a fickle thing. For me when I find happiness its all about the little things. Seeing something with a subtle beauty, or a minor epiphany, but, by and large, happiness is somewhat disconnected from from the day to day events of my life. I often just find myself happy somewhat regardless of the situation, which isn't really an issue, because, who would rather be sad than happy.
Kurumi
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Poland6130 Posts
September 10 2012 13:55 GMT
#90
I have no idea.
I work alone. // Visit TL Mafia subforum!
_MagnuM_
Profile Joined July 2011
Denmark136 Posts
September 10 2012 14:04 GMT
#91
I think happiness is just a state of mind... it comes naturally when you are feeling good and doing things you like to do

its quite simple actually... but the human mind tends to overcomplicate things..

my advice to you, dont think too much about it... if you follow that train of thought you will just get pulled down deeper into a spiral of misery..

just do whatever you feel like doing and dont worry so much about "life"...
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
CrtBalorda
Profile Joined December 2011
Slovenia704 Posts
September 10 2012 14:11 GMT
#92
When you dont give a fuck and appreciate what you have.

A combination of confidence and well being.
4th August 2012...Never forget.....
bo1b
Profile Blog Joined August 2012
Australia12814 Posts
September 10 2012 14:13 GMT
#93
Is there an actual definition of happiness outside of emotional well-being and being content?
HoLe
Profile Joined August 2012
Canada183 Posts
September 10 2012 14:28 GMT
#94
All sadness is an illusion, all happiness is an illusion. I am the apotheosis of world creation. I am the aim of aims, I am the end of ends.
Terran.
bo1b
Profile Blog Joined August 2012
Australia12814 Posts
September 10 2012 14:46 GMT
#95
On September 10 2012 23:28 HoLe wrote:
All sadness is an illusion, all happiness is an illusion. I am the apotheosis of world creation. I am the aim of aims, I am the end of ends.

I have never understood the purpose of posts like this.
TheRPGAddict
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1403 Posts
September 10 2012 14:49 GMT
#96
Being free of the typical moment to moment strife of racing thoughts and concerns.
sVnteen
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany2238 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-10 14:53:56
September 10 2012 14:51 GMT
#97
I am perfectly happy when I'm not ill, can do whatever I want and don't have anything to be afraid of.

Only I never really realize it until some of that is not the case and I guess now is a time when I would love to just have all of the above but hey.... It's gonna happen at some point cause as we all know live's a jump rope


yeah I know it's the chipmunk version but hey...
MY LIFE STARTS NOW ♥
Seldentar
Profile Joined May 2011
United States888 Posts
September 10 2012 14:57 GMT
#98
Happiness = endorphins released in the brain.

I found that before I started playing SC2 I was a very happy person, had a great life, very good grades in school, good social connections, bodybuilding, and improving at tennis constantly. Then I got addicted to SC2 and loved it for at least 6 months, but the addiction caused all these aspects of my life to go down - bad grades, lost social connections, went from 160 pounds 5'11" 8% bodyfat to 120 pounds 7% bodyfat (stopped working out, stopped eating much and lost a lot of muscle and glycogen stores), and my tennis became very bad compared to what it was.

I stopped playing and everything including my happiness built up quickly and I'm almost back to where I was :-).

I don't regret it though because I learned how detrimental video games can be (I didn't even realize it till it became very obvious that things were worsening) if you don't put a limit on how much you play, at least for me. SC2 was my biggest priority and got me nowhere.

I learned a ton from the entire experience and can honestly say I'm a much stronger person mentally after what I went through. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger ^_^
TSBspartacus
Profile Joined October 2011
England1046 Posts
September 10 2012 14:59 GMT
#99
On September 10 2012 10:10 Vorgrim wrote:
Go to the gym and keep going, eat well and find another human where mutual attraction exists and have sex with them a lot.

This.
I'm happiest when I'm confident, near loved ones and everything is going well.

I guess to get to that position you have to do the above, and just get out there, balls to the wall go and have a fucking good time since you only get one shot at life and you have to grab it by the balls and fuck it senseless.

If you don't you'll just wallow in self-despair and hate yourself for it the rest of your life.

Go get em, champ.
kafkaesque
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Germany2006 Posts
September 10 2012 15:03 GMT
#100
There's two sorts of happiness for me:

First, the carnal variety, like having sex, a full stomach after eating, having the first coffee in the morning or the long shower after a hot day or a glass of icy water after sports.

Second is the mental variety, which I get from playing or listening to music, from stimulating conversation, from a beautiful landscape or just being in a state in which I can appreciate all the natural and artificial wonders in life.

If you ever had somebody to share those forms of happiness with, I think at least for me personally it's impossible to experience them in the same way in a state of solitude, which is a shame, because if even the greatest wonders of life pale in comparison to what you once had, it's hard to ever feel truly content.
| (• ◡•)|╯ ╰(❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings215
SHIN 133
CranKy Ducklings SOOP47
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 600
SHIN 133
Railgan 57
MindelVK 30
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 70463
Calm 11058
Rain 2444
Bisu 1660
FanTaSy 848
Stork 559
soO 533
Shuttle 520
Rush 273
Soma 246
[ Show more ]
firebathero 215
Snow 214
Last 194
Light 122
Mind 105
Pusan 73
Sharp 59
Sea.KH 58
hero 47
ToSsGirL 46
Bale 38
Free 36
Trap 34
Aegong 27
Hm[arnc] 26
Mong 24
zelot 18
Sexy 15
yabsab 15
HiyA 13
Sacsri 12
Shine 12
IntoTheRainbow 11
Noble 11
scan(afreeca) 8
Dota 2
Gorgc8723
Dendi807
Counter-Strike
fl0m1717
byalli972
x6flipin502
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King68
Other Games
gofns38746
singsing2216
B2W.Neo654
Pyrionflax257
Trikslyr40
Chillindude11
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV204
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 87
• Gemini_19 9
• Dystopia_ 5
• Response 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV490
League of Legends
• Jankos3045
• Nemesis2458
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1294
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
2h 15m
BSL Open Qualifier
6h 15m
BSL Open Qualifier
6h 15m
OSC
10h 15m
Replay Cast
10h 15m
OSC
23h 15m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 22h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.