• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:59
CEST 02:59
KST 09:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach0[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1 [IPSL] IPSL is Back With Winter 26-27!
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10824 users

Hated for eternity or forgotten - Page 5

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11 12 Next All
Helios.Star
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States548 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-14 03:38:45
August 14 2011 03:38 GMT
#81
Hated. There will always be those select few people who think you were some kind of badass. And being immortal (in a way) is just kind of cool.
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
August 14 2011 03:40 GMT
#82
Why teh fuck would you want a legacy like Hitlers.
Vore210
Profile Joined January 2011
Ireland256 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-14 03:45:12
August 14 2011 03:41 GMT
#83
Where's the who cares option? You're dead, it doesn't matter. The most important thing has already happened, and it kinda eclipses all others :p.

Obviously if the hatred were based on actions i've committed, I wouldn't want to have done anything to earn that hatred and would choose "forgotten".

But if its just a case of being hated for no reason other than some frequently spread propaganda after I die, I couldn't care less.
Light a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett
StyLeD
Profile Joined January 2011
United States2965 Posts
August 14 2011 03:44 GMT
#84
Hated but in a good way. Like, hated for introducing a new "mental" currency that made the money of billionaires worthless xD

"Even gophers love Starcraft" - Tasteless. || Davichi | IU <3
DystopiaX
Profile Joined October 2010
United States16236 Posts
August 14 2011 03:44 GMT
#85
Forgotten. If I were hated it would probably be for some terrible shit and I wouldn't want to do that even if it meant eternal fame.
merlin101
Profile Joined July 2010
Switzerland194 Posts
August 14 2011 03:44 GMT
#86
Even if your hated by 99.999% some people will still love you and think you did the right thing!
dBaser
Profile Joined August 2011
2 Posts
August 14 2011 03:48 GMT
#87
I would rather be known as someone who was friendly and be forgotten when I pass. People that are naturally evil dickheads are a disease and I sympathize for them.
StinkyBoots
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada76 Posts
August 14 2011 03:56 GMT
#88
Reminds me of Achilles. Want to live a long "meaningless" life or a short "legendary" life?
Eh?
StarBrift
Profile Joined January 2008
Sweden1761 Posts
August 14 2011 03:57 GMT
#89
Obviously forgotten as hated would imply me doing something sick.
T.BonePickens
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States50 Posts
August 14 2011 04:01 GMT
#90
I would rather have my imprint left on the world rather then be forgotten forever. I mean how awesome would it be to have memes of yourself LONG after you are gone? I mean come on, no one wants to die without being remembered for something
All Greatness begins Small
canikizu
Profile Joined September 2010
4860 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-14 04:08:55
August 14 2011 04:07 GMT
#91
There're bunches of people who did the right things and still be remembered forever, such as <enter some random names here you know>. Why on earth do I want to be hated forever? The thing is, if I'm capable of doing something bad enough to be remembered forever, I may be also capable of doing something good enough to be remembered. It's just my path to choose, although it's easier to do something bad in a good society than do something good, just like it's easier to do something good in a bad society.
jimmyjingle
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States472 Posts
August 14 2011 04:16 GMT
#92
being immortal is being immortal. why do people get so concerned about their reputation, lol.
I get brain like a skull
Chaoz
Profile Joined March 2010
United States507 Posts
August 14 2011 05:05 GMT
#93
I'll be dead so I wouldn't give a crap. However, if I ever achieve Hitler status it would really suck for my descendants.
Xaerkar
Profile Joined January 2011
United States230 Posts
August 14 2011 05:19 GMT
#94
I'd rather be hated, because then I'd have a legacy for my descendants, which might make life worse for them but at least they will always remember me. It'd be like a death present to my children. Imfamy is oftentimes better than being forgotten, the reason for why I am hated will be let known to all the children, so they won't repeat whatever crimes or mistakes I commit in this theoretical procedure.
Motivate
Profile Joined June 2011
2860 Posts
August 14 2011 05:41 GMT
#95
i don't want to hijack the thread but i'm always curious why people use hitler as an example of evil rather than stalin. always thought stalin killed FAR more people.
AntiGrav1ty
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany2310 Posts
August 14 2011 05:50 GMT
#96
I don't get the obsession with "being remembered" in general. Seems to be a huge theme in all kinds of art and media. If I do something I do it because i think it's right not because I want people who i don't know and who will never know me personally remember my name.
Certainly not for something horrible. I don't care much about my name being said in the future...
www.twitch.tv/antigrav1ty
motbob
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States12546 Posts
August 14 2011 05:57 GMT
#97
Actually, this question has brought up issues that I've struggled with for years.

After battling all my life with the acceptance of death I feel happy that I'm able to clearly state that the answer to this question 100% does not matter either way. This sort of question would have sent me into deep thought in the past but it's nice that I seem to have finally accepted that what happens after you die does not matter, at all.

It's weird to finally say that I don't care about my legacy or what people think of me, posthumously. In years past I would have been obsessed with building a "successful" life and at least some form of legacy. However: the poem Ozymandias can be cited as a succinct explanation of my current feelings in this regard.

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.


Quite a depressing poem, if you fear death, I think. But the poem is also liberating if viewed in the right way: this life is what we have, and there can be no true legacy for any human; all passes away in the end. Certainly there is no one who remembers the deeds of anyone before the year 6000 BC or so. Eventually there will be no one who remembers Hitler and his deeds, or Churchill and his deeds, or Jesus Christ and his deeds. The sands of time wash will wash everything away in the end.

But what this means for us is that a completely fulfilling life can be had by simply living it the best you can. Living life "the best you can" differs from person to person, whether it's going out and becoming President, or writing essays on mortality on internet gaming forums.

Since one's deeds become meaningless given enough time, and since death inevitably occurs, rendering anything that happens after death meaningless, what happens before death is what is important.
ModeratorGood content always wins.
TheCrimsonReaper
Profile Joined May 2011
United States167 Posts
August 14 2011 06:00 GMT
#98
I would take hated. What is the point of living if you aren't going to leave a mark?

Hatred is sometimes a mark of respect, honestly though, you can be hated and still have contributed positively to humanity, helped your country or done something generally good. All hatred means is you might have stepped on some toes in doing so.
"The emperor protects"
iamahydralisk
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States813 Posts
August 14 2011 06:19 GMT
#99
Hated. If I was that hated, I must've done something huge. I must've been a powerful person during my life. That's better than being completely and utterly forgotten.
"well if youre looking for long term, go safe, if you expect it to end either way, go risky. wow. just like sc2" - friend of mine when I asked him which girl to pick
frogrubdown
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
1266 Posts
August 14 2011 06:22 GMT
#100
It will all wash away in the entropy death of the universe anyway.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11 12 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings87
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
davetesta31
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 152
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 10609
White-Ra 342
Dota 2
monkeys_forever802
NeuroSwarm111
League of Legends
Doublelift5585
JimRising 673
Counter-Strike
fl0m4523
minikerr27
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox774
AZ_Axe172
Other Games
summit1g7762
Maynarde190
KnowMe185
ArmadaUGS94
Mew2King27
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick222
BasetradeTV180
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 8
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 72
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
9h 1m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
10h 1m
Monday Night Weeklies
15h 1m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 9h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 9h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 23h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.