• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:06
CEST 23:06
KST 06:06
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8371 users

What Are You Reading 2013 - Page 21

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 19 20 21 22 23 165 Next
sleepingMentat
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States35 Posts
January 29 2013 00:16 GMT
#401
[image loading]

Just finished Evil for Evil. I really enjoyed it and I am looking forward to reading Escapement.

[image loading]
GLaDOS: Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-29 00:51:29
January 29 2013 00:47 GMT
#402
On January 29 2013 09:12 DannyJ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 29 2013 09:00 sam!zdat wrote:
On January 29 2013 08:40 DannyJ wrote:
On January 23 2013 18:51 sam!zdat wrote:
@rezoacken: yes! my secret plan is to get everyone in the world to read Red Mars! the series is incredible, probably my favorite novel


I personally liked Red Mars as well (didn't love) but there is no way I could recommend it to almost anyone who isnt a big sci fi nerd. It's pretty boring (not a bad thing for what it's about) but I think even if the average person could get past that the thing that would probably put them off is the fact that it's painfully dated politically and the characters are pretty predictable. Having a world in 2030 still basically following Cold War era politics really annoyed me.


the politics are not dated, you haven't read the second two books. The politics are the most relevant there are!


Fair enough, I didnt read the last two. I might read them if I have the time. I still think the politics of the first book, even just the first 1/4th of the book, would probably be enough for some people to stop reading it.

Then again I did read the book like 10 years ago so maybe I'm remembering it wrong...


Yeah, unfortunately the beginning of the first book doesn't really do the series justice. It's very old-school astrophysics type SF. I think this is actually intentional and part of the aesthetic unity of the novel (novel = all 3 books), but I could see how it might turn some people off at the beginning. Think about the novel as recapitulating in part the history of SF and the history of thinking about the future ("futuriography", lol) as part of the novel's structure - this involves beginning with a cold war paradigm, which then becomes greatly complicated as the story progresses.

edit: that is, as you read the novel, you watch the new politics grow out of the old politics, and you couldn't do that if he didn't start with the old politics. the science is the same way, as you watch astrophysics->geology->biology->ecology
shikata ga nai
Xinder
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States2269 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-29 01:42:29
January 29 2013 01:18 GMT
#403
On January 25 2013 00:49 Vardant wrote:
Finished reading the last book in the Dresden Files and now, I have no idea what to read next. Guess I'll have to go through this thread again to find some inspiration. Or does anyone have any tips?

[image loading]



Not sure if you've found a new book yet or not but since you like Dresden Files you may like the Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne. It's the same genre, urban fantasy, about a 2100 year old druid living in modern day Tempe, Arizona. Has a lot of mythology from all the different religions of the world and the premise of the first book is that the Celtic god of love wants his ass dead.

Book 1: http://www.amazon.com/Hounded-Iron-Druid-Chronicles-Book/dp/0345522478/ref=pd_sim_b_7

[image loading]
"Daaayyyy9, King Pussyfoot of NinnyVille"- Day9 while playing Amnesia
MinKi
Profile Joined September 2010
Korea (South)151 Posts
January 29 2013 02:51 GMT
#404
[image loading]
"I'm a starcraft jock. I'm not a nerd" - Artosis
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
January 29 2013 06:20 GMT
#405
^If you are reading a translation old enough to use wade-giles, you might want a newer translation

other than that, enjoy one of the world's great philosophical texts
shikata ga nai
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-30 05:48:41
January 30 2013 00:21 GMT
#406
[image loading]

[image loading]
shikata ga nai
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
January 30 2013 08:23 GMT
#407
Fuck yeah for the scenarists of Stalker :D I'd be interested in what you think of it sam!zdat.
Still in Balzac but just received the first volume of the Memoirs of Saint-Simon.
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
123Gurke
Profile Joined January 2005
France154 Posts
January 30 2013 08:24 GMT
#408
On January 30 2013 09:21 sam!zdat wrote:
[image loading]


This is a great book! Like everything by the Strugatsky brothers I have read it starts off a little dull. But once you get over this initial part it gets incredibly rewarding. I also recommend the Maxim Kammerer series.
"No," she said, "but sometimes I like to watch."
rebuffering
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada2436 Posts
January 30 2013 08:37 GMT
#409
Right now im reading an amazing Sci-FI / Fantasy book, im sure many have heard of, Hyperion. Im on the 1st book, just finished the 1st part, and man, i am in love with this book so far.

[image loading]

Would also like to note that i have downloaded the NPR top 100 sci-fi/fantasy novels, i am sort of "new" to books, in that ive only started really putting a lot of time into reading this year, so i thought this was a good place to start. There is a great flow chart, which is helping me decide what next to read. Hope this helps other noobs like myself to the wonderful world of sci fi and fantasy!

+ Show Spoiler +
https://dl.boxcloud.com/bc/1/626755c27ddf2b1e2d18423674838425/JolueqOGpciD6dgYhecNBoVpYxkvmYe1ZLheZor6BF4DUBIelMQTkFwYIys3nIibNIIEHUp447tBZLaXDzIbNQ,,/7eb5f5e38a6412116efdd4678890b3d3/
http://www.twitch.tv/rebufferingg
aloT
Profile Joined April 2010
England1042 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-30 11:47:04
January 30 2013 11:36 GMT
#410
Finished 1Q84. It was a fantastic read, although what I enjoyed most was the writing style. I haven't read many translated books, so it was an entirely new experience for me.

[image loading]

If anyone is interested, I have published one of my short stories as a free PDF. It's a light-hearted locked room murder mystery.

Edit: In fact, have a cover!
Syn Harvest
Profile Joined July 2012
United States191 Posts
January 30 2013 11:45 GMT
#411
On January 30 2013 20:36 aloT wrote:
Finished 1Q84. It was a fantastic read, although what I enjoyed most was the writing style. I haven't read many translated books, so it was an entirely new experience for me.

If anyone is interested, I have published one of my short stories as a free PDF. It's a light-hearted locked room murder mystery.




I thought the story wasn't too bad there were no plot holes and it was structured well but you made a few novice errors. You use to many adjectives and your dialogue is very poorly constructed. Lose all the attributive phrases in the dialogue. The dialogue should describe how something is said you don't need to inform the reader how something was said. If you feel like you do then rewrite your dialogue. It makes it apparent that your a novice.
Open your heart and embrace the darkness
aloT
Profile Joined April 2010
England1042 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-30 12:03:48
January 30 2013 11:55 GMT
#412
Thanks for the feedback! I'll have a looksie at how I weave in the dialogue for my future shorts. Could you elaborate on-

"The dialogue should describe how something is said you don't need to inform the reader how something was said. If you feel like you do then rewrite your dialogue."

I have re-read this multiple times, could you clarify?

Edit: Aha! I understand now. I'll keep an eye out for an excess of over-description in the attribution. Thanks a bunch

[image loading]

This baby just arrived in this post. I have a lot of work to do. I'm hoping I can fall in love with it as much as A Song of Ice and Fire.
Syn Harvest
Profile Joined July 2012
United States191 Posts
January 30 2013 12:30 GMT
#413
On January 30 2013 20:55 aloT wrote:
Thanks for the feedback! I'll have a looksie at how I weave in the dialogue for my future shorts. Could you elaborate on-

"The dialogue should describe how something is said you don't need to inform the reader how something was said. If you feel like you do then rewrite your dialogue."

I have re-read this multiple times, could you clarify?

Edit: Aha! I understand now. I'll keep an eye out for an excess of over-description in the attribution. Thanks a bunch

[image loading]

This baby just arrived in this post. I have a lot of work to do. I'm hoping I can fall in love with it as much as A Song of Ice and Fire.


Ya your overly descriptive in the attributive. Its not hard to fix.

I also enjoy writing and the greatest thing I ever did to enhance my own abilities was to buy On Writing by Stephen King. I have read many books on writing and On Writing is without a doubt the greatest book ever written on the subject of creative writing. It is also a badass memoir.
Open your heart and embrace the darkness
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
January 31 2013 06:28 GMT
#414
On January 30 2013 17:23 corumjhaelen wrote:
Fuck yeah for the scenarists of Stalker :D I'd be interested in what you think of it sam!zdat.
Still in Balzac but just received the first volume of the Memoirs of Saint-Simon.


It was pretty good. Jameson talks about it at length so I already knew some things about it.

What should I read next by the Strugatskys?
shikata ga nai
mossing
Profile Joined August 2010
Norway19 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-31 06:32:24
January 31 2013 06:31 GMT
#415
[image loading]

Aldous Huxley's tour de force, Brave New World is a darkly satiric vision of a "utopian" future—where humans are genetically bred and pharmaceutically anesthetized to passively serve a ruling order. A powerful work of speculative fiction that has enthralled and terrified readers for generations, it remains remarkably relevant to this day as both a warning to be heeded as we head into tomorrow and as thought-provoking, satisfying entertainment.
Sif nu
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
January 31 2013 06:41 GMT
#416
[image loading]
shikata ga nai
Deckard.666
Profile Joined September 2012
152 Posts
January 31 2013 07:08 GMT
#417
[image loading]

Does anyone know how good these books are?
I bought the first one, but it started kinda slow, and quickly got bored of it. I'd like to know if it's worth picking up again.
DoYouHas
Profile Joined November 2008
United States1140 Posts
January 31 2013 07:34 GMT
#418
Currently reading this:

[image loading]

Definitely enjoying it so far. I'm a little over halfway through. I'm reluctant to describe it because it has a fair bit of suspense, and I don't want to spoil anything for any of you who decide to pick it up. I'll edit this with more complete thoughts when I finish.
Guts? Determination? $5?
drooL
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United Kingdom2108 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-31 07:35:54
January 31 2013 07:34 GMT
#419
Finished Siddartha, now Schuld und Sühne by Dostojewskij

[image loading]
@nowSimon
Flicky
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
England2675 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-31 09:04:47
January 31 2013 09:04 GMT
#420
On January 31 2013 16:08 Deckard.666 wrote:
[image loading]

Does anyone know how good these books are?
I bought the first one, but it started kinda slow, and quickly got bored of it. I'd like to know if it's worth picking up again.


Lots of people don't like the first book and then fall in love with the seies at book 2. I on the otherhand loved the first book and still love them up to book 7 (which is where I am at the moment). I would absolutely recommend the series to anyone who loves high-fantasy. They are incredible books, the best fantasy I've read. Read the foreword by the author in Gardens of the Moon to have him sum it up. There's a turning point, that once you reach, you'll know if you're hooked or not.

I don't normally like to tell people to grind out a book but I really want to here.
Liquipedia"I was seriously looking for a black guy" - MrHoon
Prev 1 19 20 21 22 23 165 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 54m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 500
JuggernautJason26
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 654
Dewaltoss 108
firebathero 89
Zeus 68
Trap 43
910 33
Bale 26
Dota 2
monkeys_forever286
Counter-Strike
edward216
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS123
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4757
Liquid`Hasu2036
Other Games
summit1g6029
shahzam444
byalli418
C9.Mang0180
KnowMe137
UpATreeSC89
Chillindude30
Trikslyr22
Railgan20
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV217
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream170
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 79
• Adnapsc2 13
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 30
• Azhi_Dahaki24
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur316
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
2h 54m
Kung Fu Cup
13h 54m
Stellar Fest
15h 54m
The PondCast
1d 12h
OSC
1d 15h
Stellar Fest
1d 15h
OSC
2 days
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
[ Show More ]
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Disclosure: This page contains affiliate marketing links that support TLnet.

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.