• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:23
CEST 05:23
KST 12:23
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7081 users

What Are You Reading 2013 - Page 19

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 17 18 19 20 21 165 Next
Flicky
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
England2675 Posts
January 24 2013 14:38 GMT
#361
On January 24 2013 23:27 TOCHMY wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 24 2013 23:21 Iranon wrote:
On January 24 2013 23:02 TOCHMY wrote:
Does anyone who read the Locke Lamora books actually know how long the days are in that universe? Because in the books they say like "the 7th hour of the morning" or "the 8th hour of the evening". Maybe 7th hour of the morning just mean like 1 pm, started counting from 6 am?

Tried googling, didn't help


Unless a number >12 is mentioned, or it clearly conflicts with textual references to daylight, I would just read that as AM/PM.


It seems like they are awake more than 24 hours though. So the day has to be like atleast 36? Also, if they are awake more than 24 hours, how many hours does one need to sleep? Who knows, these questions might be answered in future books.

The also have morning, day, "false light" in the evening (who knows wtf that is anyways) and then night that comes after the false light.


These are old English terms for day and night. 5th hour of the morning means 5am. Similarly in game of thrones you'll read "3rd bell since noon/lunch/highsun/otherrandomthing" which means 3pm.

False light is better known as twilight where the earth is lit indirectly by the sun. In this case, that would be dusk (after the sun has set, but before night).
Liquipedia"I was seriously looking for a black guy" - MrHoon
Split Behemoth
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
France104 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-24 15:09:22
January 24 2013 15:08 GMT
#362
French books called Babylon Babies by Maurice Dantec and La Horde de Contrevent by Alain Dmasio.

Some american sf too, like Silverberg !
"I scout when i push" Adelscott
Zeepje
Profile Joined March 2011
Netherlands34 Posts
January 24 2013 15:21 GMT
#363
Now working through Feast for Crows. So far I think all the previous books in the series were better, and it's taking me a way longer time to finish to book. That might be because I think some of the characters it focuses on are not that interesting (like indeed, Sansa. Although she is growing on me.)

Next:
[image loading]

Because I'm Dutch, and I like Japan. Seems legit.
I was born bronze ^^
GrapeApe
Profile Joined March 2011
1053 Posts
January 24 2013 15:39 GMT
#364
Awesome that everyone thinks so highly of The Name of the Wind. Really looking forward to it now =D
GOIMBA.com <--- eSports betting :)
Vardant
Profile Joined November 2010
Czech Republic620 Posts
January 24 2013 15:49 GMT
#365
Finished reading the last book in the Dresden Files and now, I have no idea what to read next. Guess I'll have to go through this thread again to find some inspiration. Or does anyone have any tips?

[image loading]

Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
January 24 2013 16:12 GMT
#366
On January 15 2013 20:00 Cambium wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +

Gave up on:
Destiny of the Republic
[image loading]

Another exceedingly dry book, I really don't know why I even started reading it.

Reamde
[image loading]

I read over 60% of this book, and finally decided to give it up as well. I've really enjoyed Stephenson's previous works like Snow Crash, and to a lesser extent, The Diamond Ages. This book is excruciatingly long at over 1000 pages, and there were just passages after passages about irrelevant events that neither add anything to character development nor drive the plot forward. As a native speaker of Mandarin Chinese, I found the random Chinese phrases and names (loads of those) in the book as gimmicky nuisances, as they served no purposes other than to appeal to the 'nerdy' crowd who'd perchance find random Chinese phrases fascinating and chic.

The story itself was decent, but the book was just too long and uninteresting for the most part.

Reading:
Mao's Great Famine
[image loading]

So far so good, I've always had a keen interest in North Korean and Chinese histories.

Next
The Fault in our Stars
[image loading]



Just finished:
Mao's Great Famine
[image loading]

This was initially really interesting, but then it read too much like a history/fact book than a novel. The author only had a handful of sources and stories, and he kept on re-using these same examples to proof different points under different section of the book. I did learn a lot about modern Chinese history, of a period I've only heard stories of. While this book only offered one opinion, it did broaden my perspective, and made me realize how lucky I -- nay, China as a whole -- was that China did not turn out to be like North Korea.

While I was reading this book, I read a ton of wikipedia articles on the same topic, which interestingly frequently cited this book.

Strongly recommended for those who wish to learn more about 'the Great Leap Forward'.

Reading:
Hyperion
[image loading]

The Mao book was too dark, need something that pull me away from reality for a while... I might finish the entire series if the this one proves to be captivating enough.

Next
The Fault in our Stars
[image loading]
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
TOCHMY
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Sweden1692 Posts
January 24 2013 21:14 GMT
#367
On January 24 2013 23:38 Flicky wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 24 2013 23:27 TOCHMY wrote:
On January 24 2013 23:21 Iranon wrote:
On January 24 2013 23:02 TOCHMY wrote:
Does anyone who read the Locke Lamora books actually know how long the days are in that universe? Because in the books they say like "the 7th hour of the morning" or "the 8th hour of the evening". Maybe 7th hour of the morning just mean like 1 pm, started counting from 6 am?

Tried googling, didn't help


Unless a number >12 is mentioned, or it clearly conflicts with textual references to daylight, I would just read that as AM/PM.


It seems like they are awake more than 24 hours though. So the day has to be like atleast 36? Also, if they are awake more than 24 hours, how many hours does one need to sleep? Who knows, these questions might be answered in future books.

The also have morning, day, "false light" in the evening (who knows wtf that is anyways) and then night that comes after the false light.


These are old English terms for day and night. 5th hour of the morning means 5am. Similarly in game of thrones you'll read "3rd bell since noon/lunch/highsun/otherrandomthing" which means 3pm.

False light is better known as twilight where the earth is lit indirectly by the sun. In this case, that would be dusk (after the sun has set, but before night).


Thank you for clearing that up!
Yoona <3 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Look! It's Totoro! ☉.☉☂
aZealot
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
New Zealand5447 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-25 20:05:22
January 25 2013 20:03 GMT
#368
Currently reading The Nutmeg of Consolation by Patrick O'Brian. I did not like this novel as much when I read it my first time through the series; but this time, a quarter of the way through, I am really enjoying it.

KT best KT ~ 2014
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
January 25 2013 20:08 GMT
#369
On January 26 2013 05:03 aZealot wrote:
Currently reading The Nutmeg of Consolation by Patrick O'Brian. I did not like this novel as much when I read it my first time through the series; but this time, a quarter of the way through, I am really enjoying it.


You, sir, have excellent taste. The Aubrey-Maturin Series is probably my favorite set of historical novels.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
aZealot
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
New Zealand5447 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-25 21:17:19
January 25 2013 21:14 GMT
#370
On January 26 2013 05:08 farvacola wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 26 2013 05:03 aZealot wrote:
Currently reading The Nutmeg of Consolation by Patrick O'Brian. I did not like this novel as much when I read it my first time through the series; but this time, a quarter of the way through, I am really enjoying it.


You, sir, have excellent taste. The Aubrey-Maturin Series is probably my favorite set of historical novels.


Thanks, clearly you do too.

The Aubrey-Maturin series is fantastic. I read the 20 novels (I don't include the incomplete last novel) of the series in the space of about 6 - 7 weeks a few months ago, and literally could not put then down. I did not read anything else at that time, either. I was so absorbed in that world. In my dreams I walked HMS Surprise and almost found myself calling people "lubbers" when they irritated me! I am doing a second read through the series, at a slower pace, and am enjoying the series as much, if not more, the second time around. The whole series is really best conceptualized as one long novel and is fantastic reading.

Speaking of other historical novels. I should recommend to other TL readers, Colleen McCollough's "Masters of Rome" series. These novels detail the rise (and fall) of Gaius Marius, Cornelius Sulla, Julius Caesar and Octavian (Augustus). The first 3 novels of the series in particular (focused mainly on Marius and Sulla) are very, very good. Great research, gripping reading.

The series begins with The First Man in Rome.
KT best KT ~ 2014
anycolourfloyd
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia524 Posts
January 25 2013 22:15 GMT
#371
[image loading]

another ken follett epic, the first book started about 1908 or so, i'm up to 1941 now

btw, i 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th the suggestion above to read the masters of rome series. REALLY fucking good. colleen mccollough has a witty and entertaining writing style as well as a very strong emphasis on historical accuracy (with a lot of research behind it). when i compare it to say, the conn iggulden rome series (that i was read when i was a fair bit younger), i have to say that she really recreated ancient roman society as the sources paint it, whereas conn iggulden had his own rome.. i didn't even understand what a patrician was then, letalone the concept of dignitas/auctoritas.

i mean, brutus' mum, a patrician servilius, a prostitute? reeeally?
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
January 25 2013 22:38 GMT
#372
with one of my students, for her class

[image loading]
shikata ga nai
dmnum
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Brazil6910 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-27 02:38:27
January 27 2013 02:32 GMT
#373
Managed to put Anna Karenina down for some time(was very difficult though, it is too awesome) and read The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka.

I if needed to sum it up in one word, it would be "what". Incredibly weird, sad and funny at the same time. Going to buy In the Penal Colony and The Judgment next.
Syn Harvest
Profile Joined July 2012
United States191 Posts
January 27 2013 09:40 GMT
#374
On January 27 2013 11:32 dmnum wrote:
Managed to put Anna Karenina down for some time(was very difficult though, it is too awesome) and read The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka.

I if needed to sum it up in one word, it would be "what". Incredibly weird, sad and funny at the same time. Going to buy In the Penal Colony and The Judgment next.


Franz Kafka is incredible what of the greatest authors ever to live. I have read The Trial and The Metamorphosis and both are fantastic. I really want to read The Castle as well but I'm on this huge Cormac McCarthy kick right now. I just finished Blood Meridian and am now about halfway through The Road. The Road is really good so far and Blood Meridian has to be the greatest work by a living author. I haven't read a book so masterfully written since Faulkner
Open your heart and embrace the darkness
TOCHMY
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Sweden1692 Posts
January 27 2013 09:54 GMT
#375
+ Show Spoiler +
On January 11 2013 21:57 TOCHMY wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
On January 09 2013 17:11 Pathology wrote:
Starting the new year with Warhammer 40k Horus Heresey series in no particular order. Was always interested in warhammer books but never got into it. Seems interesting so far. As for reading dune...

Show nested quote +
On January 09 2013 14:36 johnnywup wrote:
On January 08 2013 13:53 hp.Shell wrote:
[image loading]
Dune - Frank Herbert (about 10 pages in)
I've always wanted to read this series. It's apparently science fiction's supreme masterpiece saga in terms of world lore. The main character is about to travel to Dune, so there will be space travel. It seems my visions of the book as "Star Wars had Luke never left Tatooine" are completely false. It's nice to finally pick it up and have it in my hands.

As for the order I'll probably finish them, TCV -> D -> 1491 is the current idea. It's fun to bounce between them when I get bored.


Ahh i've always wanted to read dune. I'm a huge science fiction fan, but it's really intimidating for me to start a series :/



Please do it. The prequels to the series as well as the later novels that cinch everything off are done by Mr Herbert's son and a co Author (Kevin Anderson I think?). They have a much different feel but I gobbled them up regardless because I love the universe. The first Dune book to me was the best. The others were all enjoyable for different reasons but the first captured my imagination and still hasn't let go. It might be intimidating but at the very least give the first novel a chance and see where you go from there :D



You should at least try to read the Horus Heresey in order. The series do have a linear plot from book to book.

I read the Horus Heresey up until the Ultramarines book, think it was book 7 or 8. Maybe 9. Book 1 and 2 were great, 3 was good. Fulgrim was good aswell. The rest, not so much...

+ Show Spoiler +
On December 11 2012 19:35 TOCHMY wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
On November 06 2012 16:40 TOCHMY wrote:
Currently reading this: [image loading]

Haven't gotten far yet, but so far it's been good. I recommend reading the other works of Lian Hearn, the books of the Otori Clan: [image loading]

Awesome series.


Finished:
[image loading]

This was OK. I dunno, I never felt any connection to the characters, and the general plot was very vague. Also, this book is a perfect example of "show, don't tell" since it felt that the author almost held a history lesson combined with stories about her friend... I dunno how to explain it really.

I kinda recommend the book anyways, but only cuz I love meiji era and japan in general.

Currently Reading:
[image loading]

Now this book I really like. Such a difference in story telling and writing by Scott Lynch compared to Lian Hearn(author of the book above). It's a fantasy book about thieves and the main char is exceptionally good at that particularly profession

Will Read Next:

[image loading]

The follow-up of The Lies of Locke Lamora.



Just finished:

[image loading]

This book was OK. The first book was better. This one had so many plot twists, wich I guess is part of the whole thing, with the thievery and acting from Locke's part, always doubleplaying people. But it was a bit much maybe. Still enjoyed it though! Scott Lynch is a great writer.

Currently reading:

[image loading]

I'm 120~ pages in atm. Enjoying it so far! This is the first book by Murakami that I'm digging in to. Planning to read all of his work.

Will read next:

[image loading]

After I finished the game Sleeping Dogs, I was craving for more eastern asian gang stories! I asked in this thread and a nice fellow named Br0kensword recommended me this book. Don't let me down, Br0kensword!



Finished:

[image loading]

It was a great book! One of those books that you couldn't put down, you just had to know what happened next.

I was planning on reading Tokyo Vice next, but I took a little detour and read this:

[image loading]

I enjoyed this one as well! Terry Pratchett is a great writer.

Currently Reading:

[image loading]
Now, I was gonna read Tokyo Vice, but I'm taking another detour into Brandon Sandersons Mistborn Trilogy. Many in this thread has recommended it and I needed more fantasy before returning to the reality that is Tokyo Vice.

Will Read Next:

[image loading]

Yoona <3 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Look! It's Totoro! ☉.☉☂
PVJ
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
Hungary5221 Posts
January 27 2013 10:12 GMT
#376
Pynchon's Against the Day will be next. I will die happily if I ever manage to finish it.
The heart's eternal vow
123Gurke
Profile Joined January 2005
France154 Posts
January 27 2013 10:51 GMT
#377
Finished:
[image loading]
"This is a fantastic book about chance and fate, about guilt and innocence, all against the backdrop of the twentieth century" (http://mookseandgripes.com/reviews/2010/11/18/harry-mulisch-the-assault/. I agree. Highly recommended!

[image loading]
Fun stuff!

Reading:
[image loading]

Nearly finished. Fun!

Next:
[image loading]


[image loading]

"No," she said, "but sometimes I like to watch."
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
January 27 2013 19:29 GMT
#378
^oh I adore one hundred years of solitude, enjoy
shikata ga nai
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21247 Posts
January 27 2013 19:57 GMT
#379
I strongly disliked The Assault D:
TranslatorBaa!
babylon
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
8765 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-27 20:03:29
January 27 2013 20:01 GMT
#380
One Hundred Years of Solitude is extremely good, and the translation is extremely well-done. I'm actually sort of jealous(?) of all the good translations floating around for Spanish, French, Japanese, etc. novels ... I've yet to find really good translations of Chinese novels. -__-

Also, David Mitchell is the bomb. His writing is simple but evocative; he's lived in Japan for several years and has been clearly influenced by their style of art and writing.
Prev 1 17 18 19 20 21 165 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 37m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft421
RuFF_SC2 163
Nina 93
-ZergGirl 69
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2221
Bale 22
yabsab 21
Terrorterran 13
Shuttle 0
Dota 2
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1189
taco 332
minikerr17
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox673
Other Games
summit1g7851
JimRising 683
Day[9].tv529
C9.Mang0327
WinterStarcraft235
ViBE161
Maynarde146
Livibee135
Sick127
ArmadaUGS36
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick956
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream155
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Response 15
• OhrlRock 3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 7
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv529
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
7h 37m
Stellar Fest
9h 37m
The PondCast
1d 6h
OSC
1d 9h
Stellar Fest
1d 9h
OSC
1d 20h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.