• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:08
CEST 12:08
KST 19:08
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9153 users

What Are You Reading 2013 - Page 18

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 16 17 18 19 20 165 Next
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
January 23 2013 23:57 GMT
#341
On January 24 2013 05:50 corumjhaelen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 24 2013 03:32 sam!zdat wrote:
On January 23 2013 20:53 corumjhaelen wrote:
On January 23 2013 18:51 sam!zdat wrote:
@rezoacken: yes! my secret plan is to get everyone in the world to read Red Mars! the series is incredible, probably my favorite novel

Some ideas are really good, but god how long and boring it can be, especially toward the end...
Edit : that being said, I'm not a huge sci-fi fan, and I read it 10 years ago


idk man I loved every word. Anyway don't you read all this french modernist stuff? I don't think you have any room to talk about "some good ideas but long and boring"

If you refer to Proust I think its most boring pages (there are about 10 in the novel when he enumerates etymologies of imaginary villages) are about a hundred time better than any sci-fi page I've ever read^^


I was just referring to my vague impression of your taste

I think we might appreciate novels for different reasons
shikata ga nai
Syn Harvest
Profile Joined July 2012
United States191 Posts
January 24 2013 00:00 GMT
#342
On January 24 2013 00:40 xAdra wrote:
[image loading]
[image loading]
Trying to read the song of ice and fire series is both a pleasure and a torture. It's characters and storyline are stellar, but the book are so thick you know it'll be an eternity before you see the villains get their just servings.


The characters are the best part about ASOIAF but if you are waiting for the "villains" to get whats coming to them then you are going to be disappointed. The so called "villains" often succeed in their schemes.

I put villains in quotes because I don't really believe their are villains in ASOIAF. All the characters are morally gray and and it allows you to connect to all the characters even those whose desires are a bit questionable.

On January 24 2013 08:11 snotboogie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 24 2013 03:15 Animzor wrote:
Rereading Feast for Crows? Wow... why would you do that to yourself?


The first time I read Feast for Crows, it took more than a year of on and off reading and I came out of it thinking it was the worst book GRRM had written.

A few years later, when Dance was scheduled to be released, I reread the series again, and Feast became my favourite book in the series.

Give it a chance! I really feel it's a book you appreciate more on the reread, because on the first go through you are expecting something much like the first three books, and when those expectations are broken you feel disappointed. But if you go into it knowing that it's a slower book, you get to enjoy it for what it is. I personally thought it was a much deeper book than the first three.


I agree with this completely when I reread Feast i really enjoyed it. It is much different than the first three books and the time span is very short and the action is slow but it is a great book and crucial to the series. The story arc in King's Landing is fantastic and I loved finally getting to learn about the Martells in Dorne. Also Victarion is one of my favorite characters and reading about him being a badass pirate is awesome. That being said the book does have one let down I really don't like Sansa's character or her storyline. She is so melodramatic and annoying.
Open your heart and embrace the darkness
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
January 24 2013 00:01 GMT
#343
On January 24 2013 08:57 sam!zdat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 24 2013 05:50 corumjhaelen wrote:
On January 24 2013 03:32 sam!zdat wrote:
On January 23 2013 20:53 corumjhaelen wrote:
On January 23 2013 18:51 sam!zdat wrote:
@rezoacken: yes! my secret plan is to get everyone in the world to read Red Mars! the series is incredible, probably my favorite novel

Some ideas are really good, but god how long and boring it can be, especially toward the end...
Edit : that being said, I'm not a huge sci-fi fan, and I read it 10 years ago


idk man I loved every word. Anyway don't you read all this french modernist stuff? I don't think you have any room to talk about "some good ideas but long and boring"

If you refer to Proust I think its most boring pages (there are about 10 in the novel when he enumerates etymologies of imaginary villages) are about a hundred time better than any sci-fi page I've ever read^^


I was just referring to my vague impression of your taste

I think we might appreciate novels for different reasons

Of course, but allow me to poorly defend it^^
And yes definitely, as I said after, from what i've seen your point of view makes sense. Anyway someone who likes Anna Karenina can't have completely bad taste.
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
January 24 2013 00:14 GMT
#344
On January 24 2013 05:56 corumjhaelen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 24 2013 05:51 farvacola wrote:
On January 24 2013 05:49 Recognizable wrote:
Can anyone recommend me books regarding the subjects death and consciouscness? Or maybe you know a good Philosopher I should look up?

Do you want happy death, sad death, or I don't know how to feel about death?

Edit:^lol corum, them be fightin words.

You can't seriously discuss litterature with a philosopher anyway :p


My field is english literature :O
shikata ga nai
sorrowptoss
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Canada1431 Posts
January 24 2013 00:48 GMT
#345
So here's one I'm reading from curiosity:

[image loading]

It's, as it says, about the Mossad and its usually ruthless activities around the world. Sometimes I doubt the transparency of the author, obviously, since Mossad is a secret intelligence service, but most anecdotes seem pretty judicious.

I'm planning on reading this:

[image loading]

My father read it and told me about it. It seems extremely poignant and honest, considering the cover and the fact that the author is Anna Politkovskaya. Anyone read it before?
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-24 00:55:13
January 24 2013 00:54 GMT
#346
[image loading]
shikata ga nai
Severedevil
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States4839 Posts
January 24 2013 01:05 GMT
#347
[image loading]
Just secured it via library holds.
My strategy is to fork people.
Dwayn
Profile Joined October 2011
Germany949 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-24 01:30:07
January 24 2013 01:29 GMT
#348
I mainly read history stuff. Just finished Henry Kissinger on china. I'll give it a 6/10. Next one on the list is 'Neoconservatism: Why we need it' by douglas murray.
GrapeApe
Profile Joined March 2011
1053 Posts
January 24 2013 01:51 GMT
#349
I actually just started reading (and pretty much finishing) The Time Machine. Trying to hit some of the older classics I've had an interest in but never bothered to pick up for whatever reason. I also bought this book:
[image loading]

Anyone know how good it is?
GOIMBA.com <--- eSports betting :)
Magic_Mike
Profile Joined May 2010
United States542 Posts
January 24 2013 01:59 GMT
#350
On January 24 2013 10:51 GrapeApe wrote:
I actually just started reading (and pretty much finishing) The Time Machine. Trying to hit some of the older classics I've had an interest in but never bothered to pick up for whatever reason. I also bought this book:
[image loading]

Anyone know how good it is?


Frantically check his web page to see when his next book is coming out good.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-24 03:27:41
January 24 2013 03:05 GMT
#351
thanks HULKAMANIA

[image loading]


edit: so far this is brilliant, you rock hulk

edit: "The nought which is you has devoured the style and been sustained for a while as a non-you until the style is emptied out by the noughting self." <3
shikata ga nai
rezoacken
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada2719 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-24 05:37:04
January 24 2013 05:36 GMT
#352
On January 24 2013 10:51 GrapeApe wrote:
I actually just started reading (and pretty much finishing) The Time Machine. Trying to hit some of the older classics I've had an interest in but never bothered to pick up for whatever reason. I also bought this book:
[image loading]

Anyone know how good it is?


I love name of the wind (and its sequel The Wise Man Fear). It's fantasy, not too serious, with a witty protagonist and a very interesting "magic system".

Realy liked and quite unique in my opinion.
Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.
Flicky
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
England2675 Posts
January 24 2013 09:18 GMT
#353
I got a few books on the run but they're all for different things so it's working out. I posted this in the wrong thread before so moved it over.

Reading
Hyperion
Joining the cool kids club. Once you're past about page 50, this book becomes very interesting. I'm about half way through and enjoying it immensely.

Die 13½ Leben des Käpt'n Blaubär
I've been learning german for little while and this was the book my friend recommended me. I'm currently using it to learn some new vocab and it's hard for me to read still but it's really adorable so far. Something about reading a book in a new language is incredibly magical.

The Four-Hour Work Week
There's a lot of really interesting and thought-provoking stuff in here about work and life. I've since bought all of Tim Ferriss' books and look forward to seeing what else he does. I've started using some of what he mentions and it's kind of working out. I'm not sure I'll follow all of it (especially the parts about creating a business etc) but it's a great way to approach your job, especially if you don't care too much about how people see you.
Liquipedia"I was seriously looking for a black guy" - MrHoon
Recognizable
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
Netherlands1552 Posts
January 24 2013 09:20 GMT
#354
On January 24 2013 10:51 GrapeApe wrote:
I actually just started reading (and pretty much finishing) The Time Machine. Trying to hit some of the older classics I've had an interest in but never bothered to pick up for whatever reason. I also bought this book:
[image loading]

Anyone know how good it is?


I liked it.
On January 24 2013 08:54 sam!zdat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 24 2013 05:29 rezoacken wrote:
On January 23 2013 18:51 sam!zdat wrote:
@rezoacken: yes! my secret plan is to get everyone in the world to read Red Mars! the series is incredible, probably my favorite novel


I'm halfway through. It's ok so far. I definetly like the science part and how good the writer is at describing the step y step colonization. However some parts in the "Nadia arc" were really boring.


The characterization gets much stronger. The first half of the first book is the most "old-school SF" feeling of the novel (i.e. the characters are a bit wooden). Keep in mind he has to introduce a lot of people.

Show nested quote +
On January 24 2013 06:20 Recognizable wrote:
On January 24 2013 05:51 farvacola wrote:
On January 24 2013 05:49 Recognizable wrote:
Can anyone recommend me books regarding the subjects death and consciouscness? Or maybe you know a good Philosopher I should look up?

Do you want happy death, sad death, or I don't know how to feel about death?

Edit:^lol corum, them be fightin words.

How to think about death?


http://oyc.yale.edu/philosophy/phil-176#sessions


Thanks
Syn Harvest
Profile Joined July 2012
United States191 Posts
January 24 2013 11:21 GMT
#355
On January 24 2013 10:51 GrapeApe wrote:
I actually just started reading (and pretty much finishing) The Time Machine. Trying to hit some of the older classics I've had an interest in but never bothered to pick up for whatever reason. I also bought this book:
[image loading]

Anyone know how good it is?


The Name of the Wind is incredible. I love that series. I'm dying for the third book to come out and like someone else mentioned I check his website about once a week to see if the next books release date was put up. According to some interviews hes done its already written he is just polishing it.
Open your heart and embrace the darkness
TOCHMY
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Sweden1692 Posts
January 24 2013 14:02 GMT
#356
Does anyone who read the Locke Lamora books actually know how long the days are in that universe? Because in the books they say like "the 7th hour of the morning" or "the 8th hour of the evening". Maybe 7th hour of the morning just mean like 1 pm, started counting from 6 am?

Tried googling, didn't help
Yoona <3 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Look! It's Totoro! ☉.☉☂
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
January 24 2013 14:04 GMT
#357
On January 24 2013 18:18 Flicky wrote:
I got a few books on the run but they're all for different things so it's working out. I posted this in the wrong thread before so moved it over.

Reading
Hyperion
Joining the cool kids club. Once you're past about page 50, this book becomes very interesting. I'm about half way through and enjoying it immensely.


I really really need to read the Hyperion and Dune, and possibly Red Mars series. And also Stand on Zanzibar.

So many books to read, so little time. There are so many good books published last year too. I think I have some 35 books that I desperately want to read.
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
Iranon
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States983 Posts
January 24 2013 14:21 GMT
#358
On January 24 2013 23:02 TOCHMY wrote:
Does anyone who read the Locke Lamora books actually know how long the days are in that universe? Because in the books they say like "the 7th hour of the morning" or "the 8th hour of the evening". Maybe 7th hour of the morning just mean like 1 pm, started counting from 6 am?

Tried googling, didn't help


Unless a number >12 is mentioned, or it clearly conflicts with textual references to daylight, I would just read that as AM/PM.
Jisira
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
470 Posts
January 24 2013 14:24 GMT
#359
Been trying to catch up on some of the impressive works that I bought a while ago and have just been collecting dust until now.
Spoilering due to potentially large images, and there's six of them.

Read in 2013:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
[image loading]


Currently (re-)reading:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Coming up:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]
TOCHMY
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Sweden1692 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-24 14:31:18
January 24 2013 14:27 GMT
#360
On January 24 2013 23:21 Iranon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 24 2013 23:02 TOCHMY wrote:
Does anyone who read the Locke Lamora books actually know how long the days are in that universe? Because in the books they say like "the 7th hour of the morning" or "the 8th hour of the evening". Maybe 7th hour of the morning just mean like 1 pm, started counting from 6 am?

Tried googling, didn't help


Unless a number >12 is mentioned, or it clearly conflicts with textual references to daylight, I would just read that as AM/PM.


It seems like they are awake more than 24 hours though. So the day has to be like atleast 36? Also, if they are awake more than 24 hours, how many hours does one need to sleep? Who knows, these questions might be answered in future books.

The also have morning, day, "false light" in the evening (who knows wtf that is anyways) and then night that comes after the false light.
Yoona <3 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Look! It's Totoro! ☉.☉☂
Prev 1 16 17 18 19 20 165 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 52m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech128
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 779
Soma 538
BeSt 443
Light 349
Horang2 327
910 325
Hyuk 279
Jaedong 257
Stork 143
EffOrt 123
[ Show more ]
Pusan 111
Dewaltoss 94
Soulkey 63
ZerO 55
Shinee 50
Killer 48
Rush 42
Mong 41
Mind 40
Snow 33
Bale 27
Sharp 26
ggaemo 21
hero 20
sorry 20
yabsab 18
ZergMaN 16
Creator 11
Terrorterran 8
Noble 8
Sacsri 4
Mini 1
Dota 2
Gorgc1171
XcaliburYe196
League of Legends
JimRising 352
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1355
pashabiceps1006
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes2452
Khaldor649
Other Games
gofns30307
singsing1366
ceh9676
XBOCT331
Pyrionflax184
DeMusliM158
Mew2King104
ArmadaUGS36
ZerO(Twitch)2
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick597
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream239
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH288
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 12
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2226
League of Legends
• Jankos1192
• Stunt435
Other Games
• WagamamaTV177
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
52m
Stellar Fest
2h 52m
The PondCast
23h 52m
OSC
1d 2h
Stellar Fest
1d 2h
OSC
1d 13h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.