• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:49
CEST 02:49
KST 09:49
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8934 users

What Are You Reading 2013 - Page 20

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 18 19 20 21 22 165 Next
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
January 27 2013 20:02 GMT
#381
I don't know anything about chinese novels

But aren't they not allowed to write science fiction? I heard that
shikata ga nai
babylon
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
8765 Posts
January 27 2013 20:08 GMT
#382
Are you referring to this?

New guidelines issued on March 31 discourage plot lines that contain elements of "fantasy, time-travel, random compilations of mythical stories, bizarre plots, absurd techniques, even propagating feudal superstitions, fatalism and reincarnation, ambiguous moral lessons, and a lack of positive thinking."

http://business.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/14/china-bans-time-travel-for-television/

Don't know about novels though; if so, that'd be bullshit.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-27 20:21:55
January 27 2013 20:10 GMT
#383
Ah, just for TV. See, china understands that SF is by far the most subversive of all literatures.

Do the Chinese write and read a lot of novels? I know the form doesn't have the same history that it does in the west.

edit: "ambiguous moral lessons" lolol
shikata ga nai
babylon
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
8765 Posts
January 27 2013 20:29 GMT
#384
I can't speak about the official numbers, but yes, there are tons of novels, though the genres are obviously a little different.

Subversive in what sense? I can see how the genre may lend itself more towards subversive purposes, but you'll have to elaborate for me.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-27 20:58:13
January 27 2013 20:31 GMT
#385
there is nothing more subversive than the act of imagining a multiplicity of possible futures

of course there is much degraded sf of the "space opera" or "zombie apocalypse" variety which serves no such purpose, although these can be useful texts for the critique of ideology

edit: remember that the central peg on which hangs the ideology of late capitalism (what Lacan would call the point de capiton) is the notion that, as Margaret Thatcher put it so eloquently, "There Is No Alternative." SF says, "Let There Be Alternatives! Another World Is Possible!"

edit: the chapter I'm reading as we speak in Marcuse's Eros and Civilization called "Phantasy and Utopia" is a very interesting early version of this notion. This line of thought gets developed in Fredric Jameson's The Political Unconscious and then later, specifically on SF, in Archaeologies of the Future. Highly recommended! (and if you want to know what all of this is fighting against, you can read Postmodernism: Or, the Cultural Logic of Late Capitalism. Can you tell I'm a Jameson groupie?)
shikata ga nai
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21247 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-27 21:24:34
January 27 2013 21:23 GMT
#386
A curious phenomenon in China that is, to my admittedly limited knowledge, unique to China is the relative popularity of online novels compared to the traditional. A lot of writers, ranging from complete amateur to "professional" writers, publish a lot of stuff online, where one of the most popular genres is scifi/fantasy. The more popular ones sometimes get published traditionally.

In addition, in line with the "Chinese people are a bunch of pirating scum" image, a lot of people seem to read books online. Tons of sites are dedicated to just hosting txt/html files of books, legally obtained or otherwise.
TranslatorBaa!
StateSC2
Profile Joined September 2010
Korea (South)621 Posts
January 27 2013 21:24 GMT
#387
Absurdistan and The Little Prince so far. Reading Don Quixote now.
Fireblast!: "This guy is pointless and wonderful"
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
January 27 2013 21:32 GMT
#388
On January 28 2013 06:23 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
In addition, in line with the "Chinese people are a bunch of pirating scum" image, a lot of people seem to read books online. Tons of sites are dedicated to just hosting txt/html files of books, legally obtained or otherwise.


this is why I love the chinese :D
shikata ga nai
JOJOsc2news
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
3000 Posts
January 27 2013 22:05 GMT
#389
On January 28 2013 04:29 sam!zdat wrote:
^oh I adore one hundred years of solitude, enjoy


I read that in English, German and right now I'm reading it in Spanish (sloooowly...) whenever I get the chance. I don't have much time for leisurely reading and I do try to translate everything I don't understand so I will be taking my time.
✉ Tweets @sc2channel ⌦ Blog: http://www.teamliquid.net/blog/JOJO ⌫ "Arbiterssss... build more arbiterssss." Click 'Profile' for awesome shiro art!
babylon
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
8765 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-27 22:17:41
January 27 2013 22:16 GMT
#390
On January 28 2013 06:23 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
A curious phenomenon in China that is, to my admittedly limited knowledge, unique to China is the relative popularity of online novels compared to the traditional. A lot of writers, ranging from complete amateur to "professional" writers, publish a lot of stuff online, where one of the most popular genres is scifi/fantasy. The more popular ones sometimes get published traditionally.

In addition, in line with the "Chinese people are a bunch of pirating scum" image, a lot of people seem to read books online. Tons of sites are dedicated to just hosting txt/html files of books, legally obtained or otherwise.

Relative popularity, perhaps, but I don't think (also to my admittedly limited knowledge!) that the phenomenon itself is limited to China. There are tons of Western-based online fiction archives on the internet, though obviously their numbers pale in comparison to the number of fanfiction archives. Likewise, popular online stories in the West have gotten published through traditional means after becoming big hits online. Most of the examples I can think of are based off fanfics actually (which were then altered to become original fiction), but I imagine it's not uncommon for the same to happen to popular original fiction stories. I can elaborate on this point if you're interested, but I imagine not everyone's particularly interested in hearing about the "shady" (but hilarious!) pasts of some authors.

Also, I've found quite a few Western-based sites dedicated also to just hosting txt/html files of books myself, though the one I was using (cough, it was mainly for academic books ....) got shut down.

@ sam: Are you using SF to refer to sci-fi or spec fic? If the former, I think I see what you mean. If the latter, I would still like some clarification; I imagine there must be some difference in levels of subversion in presenting an alternate future vs. presenting an alternate past vs. presenting an alternate present.

Also, are you a philosophy major or an English major?
dmnum
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Brazil6910 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-27 22:18:42
January 27 2013 22:18 GMT
#391
On January 28 2013 05:01 babylon wrote:
I've yet to find really good translations of Chinese novels. -__-

I want to read Dream of the Red Chamber, but the only translation here in brazil is from the 70s and is out of print for ~20 years. Makes me sad, it seems like a really good novel
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-28 04:12:54
January 28 2013 04:07 GMT
#392
On January 28 2013 06:23 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
A curious phenomenon in China that is, to my admittedly limited knowledge, unique to China is the relative popularity of online novels compared to the traditional. A lot of writers, ranging from complete amateur to "professional" writers, publish a lot of stuff online, where one of the most popular genres is scifi/fantasy. The more popular ones sometimes get published traditionally.


Online novels are fairly popular in Japan as well, and based on how many translated novels I see in China, I'm inferring they are also quite big in Korea.

This is actually a very interesting topic of discussion. When I was much younger, I used to read a lot of Chinese novels, aside from the classics, they were largely literary garbage. While some of the stories were good, there were usually no plot complexities, no elegance in verses, and no morals at the end. The novels offered zero satisfaction, much like a pedestrian dish or a Transformer movie.

Of course, there are plenty of English novels that are similar to what I had described above, but they are at least confined within their own categories: young-adult, teen, etc. Popular ones that come to mind are Harry Potter and the Hunger Games. To those authors' credits, they've managed to at least conjure up different worlds and situations that are at least semi-coherent; whereas modern Chinese fantasy and sci-fi novels are just absurdly nonsensical (e.g. Huan Cheng).

It's really depressing to see the Chinese literary world in its current state. Partially, I think, this a lot has to do with the government's tight grip on freedom of speech. Almost anything can be interpreted as anti-party, and get refused by the publishers, and of course, risk being labelled as a dissident. With limited topics, it's probably just easier to write about contrived love stories that inundate shelves in bookstores.

Hopefully, with time, the situation will get better. Every new dynasty began with literary inquisitions, and the CPC is hardly an exception.
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
January 28 2013 04:09 GMT
#393
Maybe there are a bunch of Bulgakovs writing into the desk and we'll discover a bunch of stuff after the situation in China changes
shikata ga nai
nohbrows
Profile Joined February 2011
United States653 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-28 04:26:34
January 28 2013 04:25 GMT
#394
[image loading]
Going through Hemingway at the moment.

edit: bad image.
Seizon Senryaku!
123Gurke
Profile Joined January 2005
France154 Posts
January 28 2013 07:05 GMT
#395
On January 28 2013 04:57 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
I strongly disliked The Assault D:


Actually my father did not like it either. To me it was one of the greatest books I had read in quite some time, but he disliked it rather strongly. His argument was more or less that the whole story was too improbable to be true. To me that was no problem because I read it more as a meditation on guilt and fate and less as a criminal story.

On January 28 2013 05:01 babylon wrote:
One Hundred Years of Solitude is extremely good, and the translation is extremely well-done. I'm actually sort of jealous(?) of all the good translations floating around for Spanish, French, Japanese, etc. novels ... I've yet to find really good translations of Chinese novels. -__-


I will be reading the German translation though. I just posted the English cover so that more people would recognize the book. Generally, for non-english authors to me as a native German reading the English translation instead of the German one does not make much sense. For some reason some people I know disagree with this but I never understood their reasoning.

For English authors I sometimes read the original, sometimes the translation, depending on the author and which version is easier to get. Most of the time the German translations are quite good I think so reading the original is not necessary all of the time.

One of my goals for the next few years is being able to read French texts in the original. Right now I can only read children's books...
"No," she said, "but sometimes I like to watch."
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
January 28 2013 07:35 GMT
#396
Translations are essentially rewrites. A lot of Japanese books have translations in both Chinese and English, and I generally prefer English translations because they typically focus more on what the authors try to convey; whereas Chinese translations are usually 'hard-translations', trying to match Chinese words for Kanji, which makes it closer to the original text, but more awkward to read.
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
DannyJ
Profile Joined March 2010
United States5110 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-28 23:53:26
January 28 2013 23:40 GMT
#397
On January 23 2013 18:51 sam!zdat wrote:
@rezoacken: yes! my secret plan is to get everyone in the world to read Red Mars! the series is incredible, probably my favorite novel


I personally liked Red Mars as well (didn't love) but there is no way I could recommend it to almost anyone who isnt a big sci fi nerd. It's pretty boring (not a bad thing for what it's about) but I think even if the average person could get past that the thing that would probably put them off is the fact that it's painfully dated politically and the characters are pretty predictable. Having a world in 2030 still basically following Cold War era politics really annoyed me.
aloT
Profile Joined April 2010
England1042 Posts
January 28 2013 23:40 GMT
#398
Is that the same with 1Q84? The writing style in the English version is remarkably brusque. It was really noticable. It was like reading a shopping list, there were commas and fullstops everywhere, really gae it an edgy feel.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
January 29 2013 00:00 GMT
#399
On January 29 2013 08:40 DannyJ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 23 2013 18:51 sam!zdat wrote:
@rezoacken: yes! my secret plan is to get everyone in the world to read Red Mars! the series is incredible, probably my favorite novel


I personally liked Red Mars as well (didn't love) but there is no way I could recommend it to almost anyone who isnt a big sci fi nerd. It's pretty boring (not a bad thing for what it's about) but I think even if the average person could get past that the thing that would probably put them off is the fact that it's painfully dated politically and the characters are pretty predictable. Having a world in 2030 still basically following Cold War era politics really annoyed me.


the politics are not dated, you haven't read the second two books. The politics are the most relevant there are!
shikata ga nai
DannyJ
Profile Joined March 2010
United States5110 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-29 00:17:31
January 29 2013 00:12 GMT
#400
On January 29 2013 09:00 sam!zdat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 29 2013 08:40 DannyJ wrote:
On January 23 2013 18:51 sam!zdat wrote:
@rezoacken: yes! my secret plan is to get everyone in the world to read Red Mars! the series is incredible, probably my favorite novel


I personally liked Red Mars as well (didn't love) but there is no way I could recommend it to almost anyone who isnt a big sci fi nerd. It's pretty boring (not a bad thing for what it's about) but I think even if the average person could get past that the thing that would probably put them off is the fact that it's painfully dated politically and the characters are pretty predictable. Having a world in 2030 still basically following Cold War era politics really annoyed me.


the politics are not dated, you haven't read the second two books. The politics are the most relevant there are!


Fair enough, I didnt read the last two. I might read them if I have the time. I still think the politics of the first book, even just the first 1/4th of the book, would probably be enough for some people to stop reading it.

Then again I did read the book like 10 years ago so maybe I'm remembering it wrong...
Prev 1 18 19 20 21 22 165 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
00:00
#101 (PatchesSC Mod Edition)
PiGStarcraft370
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft353
CosmosSc2 66
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2061
Artosis 638
Shuttle 553
910 32
Dota 2
monkeys_forever693
Counter-Strike
minikerr13
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox534
Other Games
summit1g8456
shahzam701
JimRising 598
C9.Mang0304
ViBE139
Maynarde136
ArmadaUGS45
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick988
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream150
[ Show 8 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
10h 11m
Stellar Fest
12h 11m
The PondCast
1d 9h
OSC
1d 12h
Stellar Fest
1d 12h
OSC
1d 23h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.