• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:05
CEST 23:05
KST 06:05
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8278 users

What Are You Reading 2013 - Page 22

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 24 165 Next
imallinson
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United Kingdom3482 Posts
January 31 2013 09:32 GMT
#421
[image loading]
Just finished reading this. Really good dystopian sci-fi and interesting to see it from someone who experienced communism in Russia first hand.

[image loading]
Thinking of reading this next because Phillip K. Dick books are always great. Also the film version was pretty cool.
Liquipedia
Syn Harvest
Profile Joined July 2012
United States191 Posts
January 31 2013 10:46 GMT
#422
On January 31 2013 16:08 Deckard.666 wrote:
[image loading]

Does anyone know how good these books are?
I bought the first one, but it started kinda slow, and quickly got bored of it. I'd like to know if it's worth picking up again.


I love the series. One of the greatest fantasy series around second only to ASOIAF imo. The first book does start a little slow but you got to plow through it. The second book is soooooo good
Open your heart and embrace the darkness
2BearqLoza
Profile Joined December 2007
134 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-31 10:56:17
January 31 2013 10:54 GMT
#423
Strongly recommend (for epic fantasy readers) Daniel Abraham`s Dagger and Coin Series. First 2 books are out, 3rd coming in couple of months.
Also, Brandon Sanderson`s (ALL of the books actually!!!) Emperor`s Soul is really nice and fast reading book...

[image loading]

[image loading]


Also thanks for info about Gardens of the Moon. I stopped reading it around 1/3. I`m gonna finish it, if nothing else, just to give Book 2 a chance.

123Gurke
Profile Joined January 2005
France154 Posts
January 31 2013 11:59 GMT
#424
On January 31 2013 16:08 Deckard.666 wrote:
[image loading]

Does anyone know how good these books are?
I bought the first one, but it started kinda slow, and quickly got bored of it. I'd like to know if it's worth picking up again.


I like the series, but the books are all far too long and complicated. I never made it past the fourth book simply because after reading one or two of them I always feel exhausted and need a break to read something else before I continue with the series. But then when I want to continue I always realize that I have forgotten everything from the first few books so I have to start with an earlier book again... I don't know if I will ever finish this series.
"No," she said, "but sometimes I like to watch."
Syn Harvest
Profile Joined July 2012
United States191 Posts
January 31 2013 12:58 GMT
#425
On January 31 2013 20:59 123Gurke wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 31 2013 16:08 Deckard.666 wrote:
[image loading]

Does anyone know how good these books are?
I bought the first one, but it started kinda slow, and quickly got bored of it. I'd like to know if it's worth picking up again.


I like the series, but the books are all far too long and complicated. I never made it past the fourth book simply because after reading one or two of them I always feel exhausted and need a break to read something else before I continue with the series. But then when I want to continue I always realize that I have forgotten everything from the first few books so I have to start with an earlier book again... I don't know if I will ever finish this series.


Im six books in and am beginning to feel like this because every book is longer than the [revious and more complicated. I want to finish the series so bad but I still have like 4000 pages left and I could read so many other books in that time period. I don't know if the opportunity cost is worth it.
Open your heart and embrace the darkness
Gladiator6
Profile Joined June 2010
Sweden7024 Posts
January 31 2013 13:06 GMT
#426
[image loading]

Just finished this one, made me really emotional actually. Gives you a different kind of perspective on the world - since my view on it is not same as Werther.
Flying, sOs, free, Light, Soulkey & ZerO
NKB
Profile Joined February 2012
United Kingdom608 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-31 13:23:36
January 31 2013 13:15 GMT
#427
I am reading this
[image loading]
and this

[image loading]
I have read the other books by Brent Weeks, The Way of the Shadows Trilogy, I am hoping that these are as good as those :D :D

edit: changed picture size
Some times you just gotta wish...
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
January 31 2013 18:10 GMT
#428
On January 31 2013 18:32 imallinson wrote:
[image loading]
Just finished reading this. Really good dystopian sci-fi and interesting to see it from someone who experienced communism in Russia first hand.

[image loading]
Thinking of reading this next because Phillip K. Dick books are always great. Also the film version was pretty cool.


Keep in mind that We was written in 1921. The revolution was barely over.

Scanner Darkly is great, compared to the mediocre movie.
shikata ga nai
JOJOsc2news
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
3000 Posts
January 31 2013 18:17 GMT
#429
On January 31 2013 22:06 Gladiator333 wrote:
[image loading]

Just finished this one, made me really emotional actually. Gives you a different kind of perspective on the world - since my view on it is not same as Werther.


I read the original German version. It really impressed me (I was quite young when I read it) and it is one of these books I will never forget.
✉ Tweets @sc2channel ⌦ Blog: http://www.teamliquid.net/blog/JOJO ⌫ "Arbiterssss... build more arbiterssss." Click 'Profile' for awesome shiro art!
EasymodeFTW
Profile Joined July 2011
United States3 Posts
January 31 2013 19:03 GMT
#430
On January 15 2013 22:55 LaughingTulkas wrote:
Reading:

[image loading]

I really like Lawhead, but I haven't read any of this series yet. It's more along the lines of science fiction than fantasy, but with multiple universes rather than out in space. Quite interesting so far, but right now it's mostly mysterious and we'll have to see how good the payoff is.



I LOVE Lawhead, I have read his Celtic Crusades Trilogy, the King Raven Trilogy, and the King Arthur Series. I am starting the second book for this series now, its not the typical Lawhead so far, but i still enjoy it.
Just remember...Wherever you are, that's where you will be."
aZealot
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
New Zealand5447 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-31 19:06:06
January 31 2013 19:04 GMT
#431
On January 31 2013 20:59 123Gurke wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 31 2013 16:08 Deckard.666 wrote:
[image loading]

Does anyone know how good these books are?
I bought the first one, but it started kinda slow, and quickly got bored of it. I'd like to know if it's worth picking up again.


I like the series, but the books are all far too long and complicated. I never made it past the fourth book simply because after reading one or two of them I always feel exhausted and need a break to read something else before I continue with the series. But then when I want to continue I always realize that I have forgotten everything from the first few books so I have to start with an earlier book again... I don't know if I will ever finish this series.


I agree. I read up to Book 4, I think, and gave up in Book 5. Book 3 was the book I enjoyed the most, if I recall correctly. I don't plan on taking it up again. IMO, the series is not worth the time and effort. It's good, but not that good.

As for me: currently onto Clarrissa Oakes by Patrick O'Brian. I think I will read this novel, and the next, The Wine Dark Sea before shelving Patrick O'Brian for a while. The Wine Dark Sea is a good place to pause anyway, as this is where Aubrey and Maturin return to England after a long sequence of books afloat aboard Surprise. I am aiming to read one new fiction and one new non-fiction book a month this year. So re-reading books I have read before (something I do a lot of) does not help me attain that goal. I'll start with some of the fiction suggestions in here, and finally get to grips with Hayek for my non-fiction.
KT best KT ~ 2014
DeepElemBlues
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States5080 Posts
January 31 2013 19:11 GMT
#432
Just got done re-reading Kruschev by William Taubman because I wanted to refresh my memory on the attempted Anti-Party Group coup so I'm going to go a little light this week and re-read The Haunting of Hill House and Islands in the Stream before I head to Barnes & Noble to find something new and history-y to gobble up.
no place i'd rather be than the satellite of love
ZapRoffo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5544 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-31 19:18:55
January 31 2013 19:17 GMT
#433
On February 01 2013 03:10 sam!zdat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 31 2013 18:32 imallinson wrote:
[image loading]
Just finished reading this. Really good dystopian sci-fi and interesting to see it from someone who experienced communism in Russia first hand.

[image loading]
Thinking of reading this next because Phillip K. Dick books are always great. Also the film version was pretty cool.


Keep in mind that We was written in 1921. The revolution was barely over.

Scanner Darkly is great, compared to the mediocre movie.


That's what I find especially interesting about We, that it's written more as a reaction to the ideology and movement of the revolution, rather than what it produced. That and that it's stylistically brilliant.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion man
imallinson
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United Kingdom3482 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-31 19:54:29
January 31 2013 19:51 GMT
#434
On February 01 2013 04:17 ZapRoffo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 01 2013 03:10 sam!zdat wrote:
On January 31 2013 18:32 imallinson wrote:
[image loading]
Just finished reading this. Really good dystopian sci-fi and interesting to see it from someone who experienced communism in Russia first hand.

[image loading]
Thinking of reading this next because Phillip K. Dick books are always great. Also the film version was pretty cool.


Keep in mind that We was written in 1921. The revolution was barely over.

Scanner Darkly is great, compared to the mediocre movie.


That's what I find especially interesting about We, that it's written more as a reaction to the ideology and movement of the revolution, rather than what it produced. That and that it's stylistically brilliant.

It's also interesting reading it after stuff like 1984 and seeing parts of We that obviously inspired other dystopian fiction.

edit: also its interesting that it ended up predicting some of what happened with communism.
Liquipedia
JOJOsc2news
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
3000 Posts
January 31 2013 19:52 GMT
#435
On February 01 2013 04:51 imallinson wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 01 2013 04:17 ZapRoffo wrote:
On February 01 2013 03:10 sam!zdat wrote:
On January 31 2013 18:32 imallinson wrote:
[image loading]
Just finished reading this. Really good dystopian sci-fi and interesting to see it from someone who experienced communism in Russia first hand.

[image loading]
Thinking of reading this next because Phillip K. Dick books are always great. Also the film version was pretty cool.


Keep in mind that We was written in 1921. The revolution was barely over.

Scanner Darkly is great, compared to the mediocre movie.


That's what I find especially interesting about We, that it's written more as a reaction to the ideology and movement of the revolution, rather than what it produced. That and that it's stylistically brilliant.

It's also interesting reading it after stuff like 1984 and seeing parts of We that obviously inspired other dystopian fiction.


I really need to finally get around to read We.
✉ Tweets @sc2channel ⌦ Blog: http://www.teamliquid.net/blog/JOJO ⌫ "Arbiterssss... build more arbiterssss." Click 'Profile' for awesome shiro art!
Syn Harvest
Profile Joined July 2012
United States191 Posts
February 01 2013 09:45 GMT
#436
On January 31 2013 19:54 2BearqLoza wrote:
Strongly recommend (for epic fantasy readers) Daniel Abraham`s Dagger and Coin Series. First 2 books are out, 3rd coming in couple of months.
Also, Brandon Sanderson`s (ALL of the books actually!!!) Emperor`s Soul is really nice and fast reading book...

[image loading]

[image loading]


Also thanks for info about Gardens of the Moon. I stopped reading it around 1/3. I`m gonna finish it, if nothing else, just to give Book 2 a chance.



I've heard nothing but good things about Daniel Abraham but I can never find any of his work at Barnes and Noble. Ill probably end up having to order it off amazon.
Open your heart and embrace the darkness
TOCHMY
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Sweden1692 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-01 15:24:23
February 01 2013 15:24 GMT
#437
Reading books in english when my native language is swedish isn't so bad, but there are a few words I have trouble with.

First, what does one mean with "flushed"? Example:
Vin: So why have you been avoiding me?
Elend flushed.

is it like blushing?
Yoona <3 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Look! It's Totoro! ☉.☉☂
Brobe
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States75 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-01 15:41:56
February 01 2013 15:41 GMT
#438
On February 02 2013 00:24 TOCHMY wrote:
Reading books in english when my native language is swedish isn't so bad, but there are a few words I have trouble with.

First, what does one mean with "flushed"? Example:
Vin: So why have you been avoiding me?
Elend flushed.

is it like blushing?


Pretty much equivalent to blushing unless the scene took place in a bathroom.
[Protoss: Jangbi/Movie] [Zerg: Calm] [Terran: FBH/Reality] In honor of KT Violet
Dirkzor
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Denmark1944 Posts
February 01 2013 16:46 GMT
#439
On February 02 2013 00:24 TOCHMY wrote:
Reading books in english when my native language is swedish isn't so bad, but there are a few words I have trouble with.

First, what does one mean with "flushed"? Example:
Vin: So why have you been avoiding me?
Elend flushed.

is it like blushing?


I read almost exclusively in english with my native language being danish. Best way to learn words is to google "define "word""

First hit:

noun
1. a blush; rosy glow: a flush of embarrassment on his face.
2. a rushing or overspreading flow, as of water.
3. a sudden rise of emotion or excitement: a flush of anger.
4. glowing freshness or vigor: the flush of youth.
5. hot flush, hot flash.
"HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU ON TOP AGAIN???? HOW DO YOU KEEP DOING THIS????" -Julmust (also, thats what she said)
ZapRoffo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5544 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-01 16:52:05
February 01 2013 16:48 GMT
#440
On February 02 2013 00:41 Brobe wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 02 2013 00:24 TOCHMY wrote:
Reading books in english when my native language is swedish isn't so bad, but there are a few words I have trouble with.

First, what does one mean with "flushed"? Example:
Vin: So why have you been avoiding me?
Elend flushed.

is it like blushing?


Pretty much equivalent to blushing unless the scene took place in a bathroom.


Yup and I think it comes from actually the same place as the bathroom flushing--it is linked to an increase in flowing, in the toilet that's water, in this case it means blood flowing and a person turning red. It can also be used as a business or person is flush, meaning rich--lots of money or goods are flowing.

The reason there's also blush as a different word is that blush specifically has to do with appearance and the color red. Blush as a kind of makeup makes you appear redder.

So that's the difference between the words.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion man
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 24 165 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 55m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 500
JuggernautJason26
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 654
Dewaltoss 108
firebathero 89
Zeus 68
Trap 43
910 33
Bale 26
Dota 2
monkeys_forever286
Counter-Strike
edward216
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS123
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4757
Liquid`Hasu2036
Other Games
summit1g6029
shahzam444
byalli418
C9.Mang0180
KnowMe137
UpATreeSC89
Chillindude30
Trikslyr22
Railgan20
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV217
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream170
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 79
• Adnapsc2 13
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 30
• Azhi_Dahaki24
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur316
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
2h 55m
Kung Fu Cup
13h 55m
Stellar Fest
15h 55m
The PondCast
1d 12h
OSC
1d 15h
Stellar Fest
1d 15h
OSC
2 days
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
[ Show More ]
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.