• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:38
CEST 19:38
KST 02:38
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11014 users

What Are You Reading 2013 - Page 23

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 21 22 23 24 25 165 Next
tofucake
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Hyrule19257 Posts
February 01 2013 16:51 GMT
#441
On February 02 2013 01:46 Dirkzor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 02 2013 00:24 TOCHMY wrote:
Reading books in english when my native language is swedish isn't so bad, but there are a few words I have trouble with.

First, what does one mean with "flushed"? Example:
Vin: So why have you been avoiding me?
Elend flushed.

is it like blushing?


I read almost exclusively in english with my native language being danish. Best way to learn words is to google "define "word""

First hit:

noun
1. a blush; rosy glow: a flush of embarrassment on his face.
2. a rushing or overspreading flow, as of water.
3. a sudden rise of emotion or excitement: a flush of anger.
4. glowing freshness or vigor: the flush of youth.
5. hot flush, hot flash.

The best way is to have a Kindle then you can just immediately look stuff up without leaving the book, imo
Liquipediaasante sana squash banana
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
February 01 2013 20:10 GMT
#442
[image loading]
shikata ga nai
Dirkzor
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Denmark1944 Posts
February 01 2013 21:57 GMT
#443
On February 02 2013 01:51 tofucake wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 02 2013 01:46 Dirkzor wrote:
On February 02 2013 00:24 TOCHMY wrote:
Reading books in english when my native language is swedish isn't so bad, but there are a few words I have trouble with.

First, what does one mean with "flushed"? Example:
Vin: So why have you been avoiding me?
Elend flushed.

is it like blushing?


I read almost exclusively in english with my native language being danish. Best way to learn words is to google "define "word""

First hit:

noun
1. a blush; rosy glow: a flush of embarrassment on his face.
2. a rushing or overspreading flow, as of water.
3. a sudden rise of emotion or excitement: a flush of anger.
4. glowing freshness or vigor: the flush of youth.
5. hot flush, hot flash.

The best way is to have a Kindle then you can just immediately look stuff up without leaving the book, imo


Disadvantage is that you don't have a real book...=) I just like having a real book...
"HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU ON TOP AGAIN???? HOW DO YOU KEEP DOING THIS????" -Julmust (also, thats what she said)
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
February 01 2013 21:58 GMT
#444
but a Kindle is Progress, never forget.
shikata ga nai
cLAN.Anax
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
United States2847 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-01 22:03:41
February 01 2013 22:02 GMT
#445
On a whim for something classical, I decided to start reading Plato's "The Republic."

[image loading]

Only 2/3 of the way through Book I, but it's very intriguing so far. Will probably have to pick up a copy of Plato's "Laws" soon after.

[image loading]


@sam: That book's cover just makes me hungry.... ;_;
┬─┬___(ツ)_/¯ 彡┻━┻ I am the 4%. "I cant believe i saw ANAL backwards before i saw the word LAN." - Capped
Dirkzor
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Denmark1944 Posts
February 01 2013 22:09 GMT
#446
On February 02 2013 06:58 sam!zdat wrote:
but a Kindle is Progress, never forget.


You can't have a whole wall filled with _a_ kindle... That looks silly. A wall filled with books looks awesome though...
"HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU ON TOP AGAIN???? HOW DO YOU KEEP DOING THIS????" -Julmust (also, thats what she said)
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
February 01 2013 22:12 GMT
#447
On February 02 2013 07:09 Dirkzor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 02 2013 06:58 sam!zdat wrote:
but a Kindle is Progress, never forget.


You can't have a whole wall filled with _a_ kindle... That looks silly. A wall filled with books looks awesome though...

Reminds me of Schopenhauer in the introduction of The World as Will and Representation...
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
lungic
Profile Joined January 2012
Sweden123 Posts
February 01 2013 22:16 GMT
#448
For you Gardens of the Moon readers.

Gardens of the Moon is not really representative for the rest of the series. It's has that debut novel hanging over itself.
The second book, Deadhouse Gates is awesome. Memories of ice is a bit slower. From there on its a bit muddy, because I can't really remember in which book which events takes place.

But parts of Bone Hunters and Midnight Tides and Toll the Hounds still gives me goosebumps when I think about them.
If you like the books, or setting, but think they've are too slow, check out Ian C. Esslemont, which are set in the same universe, and gives more back story. Thing is they're much faster paced and in shorter time span. They can be a bit revealing though.

I still prefer Steven over Ian, mostly because of Steven's artistic writing. I especially love how you can get 2-3 pages into a chapter without still knowing where we are,and whom we're following.
Perfi
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Poland349 Posts
February 01 2013 22:17 GMT
#449
On February 02 2013 07:09 Dirkzor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 02 2013 06:58 sam!zdat wrote:
but a Kindle is Progress, never forget.


You can't have a whole wall filled with _a_ kindle... That looks silly. A wall filled with books looks awesome though...

Is that really the most important thing, though? I read books because of the messages they send, because of what I can learn from them, not because they look nice on that shelf right here to my left.

Right now, reading the Hobbit once again. Once I'm done with that, it's back to the Feynman Lectures for me.
3772
Profile Joined May 2010
Czech Republic434 Posts
February 01 2013 23:03 GMT
#450
Shelf full of books looking awesome comes later, when you are 50 and invite your friends for wine & cheese every other week.
TrickyGilligan
Profile Joined September 2010
United States641 Posts
February 01 2013 23:13 GMT
#451
On February 02 2013 07:17 Perfi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 02 2013 07:09 Dirkzor wrote:
On February 02 2013 06:58 sam!zdat wrote:
but a Kindle is Progress, never forget.


You can't have a whole wall filled with _a_ kindle... That looks silly. A wall filled with books looks awesome though...

Is that really the most important thing, though? I read books because of the messages they send, because of what I can learn from them, not because they look nice on that shelf right here to my left.



I love my bookshelf. I like having people come over and borrow books that interest them. Even if they don't borrow them, they're good conversation starters. Add into that all of the emotional attachment I've built up to the smell and feel of books over the years and I can never see myself switching to a Kindle.

Also, I heard a rule somewhere that if you're at the home of a member of the opposite sex and they don't have any books, you're not allowed to have sex with them. So I make sure I'm well covered in that regard, just in case I run into anyone else who follows that.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it." -Groucho Marx
ZapRoffo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5544 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-01 23:58:13
February 01 2013 23:57 GMT
#452
I've wondered, is the name Kindle intentionally supposed to evoke the image of book burning? Maybe in a sneaky, deniable way? Cause it sort of does.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion man
autoexec
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States530 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-02 00:03:03
February 02 2013 00:02 GMT
#453
I have recently reread The Hunt for Red October. Also, Fast Food Nation looks interesting. I have heard it is good.
TrickyGilligan
Profile Joined September 2010
United States641 Posts
February 02 2013 00:22 GMT
#454
On February 02 2013 08:57 ZapRoffo wrote:
I've wondered, is the name Kindle intentionally supposed to evoke the image of book burning? Maybe in a sneaky, deniable way? Cause it sort of does.


Lol I never put that together. Of course now there's the Kindle: Fire. Is the next one going to be the Kindle: Fire 451?
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it." -Groucho Marx
autoexec
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States530 Posts
February 02 2013 00:24 GMT
#455
On February 02 2013 09:22 TrickyGilligan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 02 2013 08:57 ZapRoffo wrote:
I've wondered, is the name Kindle intentionally supposed to evoke the image of book burning? Maybe in a sneaky, deniable way? Cause it sort of does.


Lol I never put that together. Of course now there's the Kindle: Fire. Is the next one going to be the Kindle: Fire 451?


That book confused me. I got the obvious message of censorship, but nothing else. Was there any other meaning to it?
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-02 02:52:47
February 02 2013 02:19 GMT
#456
[image loading]

edit:
On February 02 2013 09:24 autoexec wrote:
message


I would encourage you to think about books as questions, not messages.
shikata ga nai
Topin
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Peru10128 Posts
February 02 2013 02:58 GMT
#457
The girl who played with fire

[image loading]

the 1st book didnt live up to the hype imo.
i would define my style between a mix of ByuN, Maru and MKP
Syn Harvest
Profile Joined July 2012
United States191 Posts
February 02 2013 10:31 GMT
#458
On February 02 2013 11:58 Topin wrote:
The girl who played with fire

[image loading]

the 1st book didnt live up to the hype imo.


Ya the second one is no better. I didn't finish it but I'm sure the second half of the book is just as lame as the first half
Open your heart and embrace the darkness
Insoleet
Profile Joined May 2012
France1806 Posts
February 02 2013 10:34 GMT
#459
[image loading]

Currently reading this. Very dark and sad dystopia... But so many comparaisons could be done to our current world, it's a bit disturbing.
Doppelganger
Profile Joined May 2010
488 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-02 13:01:25
February 02 2013 12:56 GMT
#460
On February 02 2013 07:16 lungic wrote:
For you Gardens of the Moon readers.

Gardens of the Moon is not really representative for the rest of the series. It's has that debut novel hanging over itself.
The second book, Deadhouse Gates is awesome. Memories of ice is a bit slower. From there on its a bit muddy, because I can't really remember in which book which events takes place.

But parts of Bone Hunters and Midnight Tides and Toll the Hounds still gives me goosebumps when I think about them.
If you like the books, or setting, but think they've are too slow, check out Ian C. Esslemont, which are set in the same universe, and gives more back story. Thing is they're much faster paced and in shorter time span. They can be a bit revealing though.

I still prefer Steven over Ian, mostly because of Steven's artistic writing. I especially love how you can get 2-3 pages into a chapter without still knowing where we are,and whom we're following.


But the style doesn't change after Gardens? With that I mean a less character focused approach. Switching viewpoints, time and locations very often.

Anyway after i realised again how awesome the Shira Calpurnia Omnibus was I decided to get started with the Ravenor Omnibus.

[image loading]

[image loading]

I initially put it down again because I actually wanted more of Shira Calpurnia as a character and the start seemed very generic.

Now I am at 43 pages into the book and the start seems very nice I think I will enjoy it greatly but I still don't know what it will be about exactly.
Prev 1 21 22 23 24 25 165 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 22m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 331
UpATreeSC 70
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1383
actioN 465
BeSt 215
Dewaltoss 166
firebathero 85
Barracks 59
Zeus 57
Sexy 40
Trap 37
soO 28
[ Show more ]
ToSsGirL 24
Bale 23
JYJ 19
Shine 19
zelot 16
Sacsri 9
Dota 2
Gorgc7486
qojqva2151
Dendi848
420jenkins168
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps982
Fnx 791
x6flipin444
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5678
crisheroes5258
Liquid`Hasu631
Other Games
Beastyqt647
B2W.Neo547
ceh9475
byalli379
ArmadaUGS161
Khaldor155
KnowMe142
C9.Mang0132
TKL 108
BRAT_OK 76
Trikslyr56
Railgan9
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV260
BasetradeTV220
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream129
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH302
• StrangeGG 59
• Reevou 6
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 56
• blackmanpl 21
• Azhi_Dahaki16
• FirePhoenix7
• ZZZeroYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV434
League of Legends
• Nemesis3708
• TFBlade953
Other Games
• Shiphtur318
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
6h 22m
Kung Fu Cup
17h 22m
Stellar Fest
19h 22m
The PondCast
1d 16h
OSC
1d 19h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.