• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:47
CEST 17:47
KST 00:47
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7968 users

Hwasin Apologizes for Match Fixing

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 13 14 15 Next All
Caihead
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada8550 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-23 02:16:46
August 22 2013 23:13 GMT
#1
Translator's note: this came from a Chinese article so the translations might be a bit off. The material is sensitive to a lot of us, but try to remember that alot of the rookies and rising stars who were involved in the process are humans who are capable of making mistakes as well as attempting to amend them. Keep an open mind while you read this interview.

Match fixing Scandal

It's been 3 years since the match mixing scandal, at the time many major news outlets reported on the event, and it caused a great ripple in the industry. Especially around the player nick named "Ma Bonjwa", and severely affect many people.

The astonishment did not come solely from Ma Jae Yoon, every player that was involved in the match mixing scandal came as a surprise to many. That included another team ace who had a community immage as a hard working player, who had gained alot of fans for his good looks "Hwasin". After deeply hurting the emotions of the fans, and leaving a lastly bad impact with teenage audiences, Hwasin was also punished by the law and removed permanently by Kespa from participation in esports, and faded from sight.

Faced with Hwasin's interview request, reporters were taken aback and uncertain of how to react. Why did he wait until now to do an interview, and what does he hope to achieve? But he answered "I want to apologize (for my crimes)", and always wanted to do so with an interview to apologize for the fans.

Q: What's the rationality behind your decision to accept this interview?

A: It's been three years since the match fixing scandals, now there are alot of fans who don't know me, and alot of people who don't want to hear me speak, but I still wanted to apologize once. I was very regretful and remorseful in the past, but I couldn't stand up (into the public) easily. Now I'm still in a very difficult state. Recently STX Soul won in the SPL. I really wanted to go to the live venue to cheer for them, but if I went, how would the team look like? So I couldn't appear at the venue, I just used my phone to send congratulatory messages. Even though this might seem like gloating, but in reality I'm deeply regretful inside. All of my youth and pre-20s was spent in the team, I still wish that there was a place there for me. Just thinking about this, I would think about all of the wrong things I've done in the past and feel more remorseful than before.

In December of 2009, Hwasin accepted over B.net the first suggestion from Ma Jae Hoon about match fixing, at the time Hwasin was already eliminated from the OSL Ro16, the last match which wasn't important he threw on purpose, and in the MSL Ro8 match against teammate KaL, he threw the first match. He recieved 3 million won for each match, with a total of 6 million won. Afterwards Ma Jae Hoon was sentenced to one year in jail, suspended for 2 years, and 120 hours of community service. Hwasin was confiscated the 6 million won earnings as well as fined an additional 6 million won and expelled by Kespa from participating in esports events.

Hwasin maintained communications with STX Soul's coach Park Jae Seok and other teammates after the matchfixing scandal. While he was in the army he would also write to the younger members in the team, and maintains a friend ship with SoO (STX player, not to be confused with SoO from SKT) who is the same age as him. But Hwasin was unable to personally witness STX winning in SPL, because he just couldn't do it.

Q: Tell us honestly, why (did you) agree to matchfixing back then?

A: First of all, everything I say now will come off as making excuses, but I still have to say it, I was in a very difficult position emotionally back then. There were bad things that happened at home, even though I had a salary, I didn't make much money. Every day was becoming more difficult than the last, suddenly one day Ma Jae Hoon gave me this suggestion. At the time I haven't even heard of the term "matchfixing" (referring to the additional game in OSL where the result didn't matter for hwasin who was already 0-2 in the group, YARNC would have been out of the tournament if hwasin won, but he lost in the tie breakers any ways. reference), so I had no idea what it meant, and Ma Jae Hoon was a very influential persona mong professional players, and I thought that since it was an unimportant match, and I could make money even though I lose, I agreed easily.

Q: But agreeing to something like this was obviously wrong?

A: Yes, I was so stupid and naive. Regardless it was my own choice. At the time I never thought I was match fixing, and talking with each other I never thought that it was such a bad thing, but going into the matches I did purposefully throw a match, and I felt really bad. That's where the guilt kicked in, after that match (OSL) ended I thought that I couldn't ever do this again. And after wards when Ma Jae Hoon came to me to give me the money I shouldn't have taken it.

Q: Did something like this happen again?

A: After that first one ended, Ma Jae Hoon came to find me and told me the opponent's opener. reference Usually it's often possible for openings to get leaked during practice before a televised match happened, so I didn't think of much of it. But that time even knowing the opponenet's opener I still lost. Afterwards it became a rumor that I won alot of money from that match. The weird thing is that I actually didn't do anything wrong this time, but I still felt really bad, I thought that I was too naive and had to make up for my losses. So I lost a map to my teammate (P)Kal reference.

After the second matchfixing incident, Hwasin who was 21 was seen after the match ended to be visibly shaking as he walked out of the booth after the game ended. He couldn't look at the eyes of the fans, and was very scared to see any of the employees working at the station. He thought that it would have been terrible if he continued, so after wards he rejected all plans from not only Ma Jae Hoon but also any other players to matchfix.

Q: Did you talk to Ma Jae Hoon after the matchfixing scandal?

A: Initially I did try to contact him, but it was his mom that picked up the phone. He refused to talk to me. After that he refused to talk to me. So I was never in contact with him again. Afterwards Ma Jae Hoon rejected some suspicions on his part in court, while I pleaded guilty to them on my side, at the time I didn't see Ma Jae Hoon either. All the fans saw it, at the time I didn't know where to look and was in alot of pain. I really wanted to die.

Q: Not only did you have to return all the earnings, you were fined and removed from Esports

A: I was a professional player for 7 years, yet I ended up with my name in ruins, it was too cruel. And I felt so sorry for all the people that trusted me, my family, teammates, and all the related personnel and fans.

Q: Do you hate Ma Jae Hoon who originally gave you the suggestion?

A: Initially I really did hate him, but more so I was fearful of him. But afterwards I felt really angry with myself. After realizing what a terrible thing I've done, I thought that I could only blame myself and not anyone else.

Q: Since Junior High school you were involved completely in Starcraft, how did you live leaving the industry like that?

A: After the incident happened, I went back to my old home for 6 months. I wasn't able to go anywhere on an light heart. I felt that every where people would notice who I was and insult me. So I went everywhere with a cap on, that period was very painful. I lived through it in self-loathing and regret.

Q: And how did you walk away from that?

A: My family gave me alot of consoling, and alot of fans even gave me some encouragements even though they were very disappointed with me. I was so moved that didn't know how to respond. And alot of people who lived far away from me would call me and tell me good things, the coach and teammates didn't blame me but instead were very protective and worrying for me. So I slowly walked away from that rut.

Q: Then you moved to the military service, it wasn't that painful in the army right?

A: Actually quite the opposite. In boot camp since everyone was around the same age, everybody was aware of the matchfixing. Not only the seniors but even the officers would interrogate me and discipline me. Ofcourse there were some people who liked me as a person, they were the ones who got me through it. I tried to see it as that my life in the military was as difficult as everyone else's, and spent alot of time thinking. Why did I do this, I asked myself a thousand times "why".

Q: Now you realize what a bad thing match fixing was?

A: I knew immediately after the scandal was revealed. I was a professional player, and alot of fans supported me, and look at what I did to them. Even now I'm thinking about these things. Now not only in esports, but in other professional sports there are alot of match fixing and scandals, so everyone knows what a terrible thing it is to do. But I don't know if there are still any suspicions of match fixing (SC2), I hope that I can educate the younger players and tell them what a bad thing it is.

Q: In those difficult times, what words made you feel the worst?

A: There are no BW leagues now, even today it just doesn't feel real to me. But the words that make me feel the worst are "The ball that was passed down by so many seniors was lost in an instant in the hands of people like you."Regardless of whether this is true, it was because of my instantaneous error and personal ignorance that caused these accusations, they make me feel very difficult.

Q: After retiring, what did you do?

A: I did everything after retiring. I even went to the hiring boards in labour markets, I did manual labour, worked in delivery, and laboured in some net-cafes, I also tried to work in a coffee shop as a cashier and made coffee. I really want to open a coffee shop, one where you make the coffee completely manually, even if it's very small. In that process to find a direction I met an executive in a company, and started working as a secretary. Now I try to learn from many different types of people that I meet.

Q: What about the future? Anything else you want to say?

A: I thought I was forgotten, but after 3 years, there are still alot of people who try to contact me, it feels amazing. And alot of fans try to encourage me through mini homepy and email, I'm unable to respond to them all, so I wanted to use an interview to thank all of them. Even though I still can't explain myself in detail, it's important to me now to do things that I don't regret. Even though I did alot of things that hurt others, now I still walk on the street and get noticed by people, some of them call out to me, that makes me happy. Some people ask me about the match fixing and others give me support, I want to show them that Hwasin is no longer the progamer Hwasin, but just a normal person who is now doing well. And everything (that I do) will be honest and concrete.
"If you're not living in the US or are a US Citizen, please do not tell us how to vote or how you want our country to be governed." - Serpest, American Hero
amazingxkcd
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
GRAND OLD AMERICA16375 Posts
August 22 2013 23:15 GMT
#2
It sucks that he matchfixed, and that this will hang over him for a very long time
The world is burning and you rather be on this terrible website discussing video games and your shallow feelings
wurm
Profile Joined October 2007
Philippines2296 Posts
August 22 2013 23:33 GMT
#3
Out of all the players caught, seeing Hwasin's name really surprised me. Dude sounds sad. Judging from this interview though, looks like he got a good head on his shoulders. GL to him.
I know where my towel is.
BigFan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
TLADT24920 Posts
August 22 2013 23:36 GMT
#4
Thank you for the translation! If I understand it correctly, he match fixed 2 games, one that didn't matter and another to his teammate Kal? It's still pretty sad that he did it though it doesn't seem like he saw it that way at first. Hope that eventually BW rises again better than ever and his mistake gets forgotten. He seems to have worked through it, realized just how bad it was and apologized to his supporters. Let's hope he gets forgiven in due time.
Former BW EiC"Watch Bakemonogatari or I will kill you." -Toad, April 18th, 2017
Gamegene
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States8308 Posts
August 22 2013 23:40 GMT
#5
I hope Hwasin continues to work hard so he can live a life where more people will remember him as a good person than as a cheater.
Throw on your favorite jacket and you're good to roll. Stroll through the trees and let your miseries go.
Caihead
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada8550 Posts
August 22 2013 23:43 GMT
#6
On August 23 2013 08:36 BigFan wrote:
Thank you for the translation! If I understand it correctly, he match fixed 2 games, one that didn't matter and another to his teammate Kal? It's still pretty sad that he did it though it doesn't seem like he saw it that way at first. Hope that eventually BW rises again better than ever and his mistake gets forgotten. He seems to have worked through it, realized just how bad it was and apologized to his supporters. Let's hope he gets forgiven in due time.


Some might argue that losing the OSL match gave YARNC the chance to qualify from tie breakers (which was probably one of the reasons why he was asked to matchfix seeing as how YARNC is involved in match fixing) but YARNC didn't qualify anyways.
"If you're not living in the US or are a US Citizen, please do not tell us how to vote or how you want our country to be governed." - Serpest, American Hero
ShaLLoW[baY]
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Canada12499 Posts
August 22 2013 23:47 GMT
#7
was hwasin involved in 1 sunken no ring as well? i think it was yarnc or luxury and him
ALEXISONFIRE ARE FUCKING BACK (sAviOr for life)
BigFan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
TLADT24920 Posts
August 22 2013 23:51 GMT
#8
On August 23 2013 08:43 Caihead wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 23 2013 08:36 BigFan wrote:
Thank you for the translation! If I understand it correctly, he match fixed 2 games, one that didn't matter and another to his teammate Kal? It's still pretty sad that he did it though it doesn't seem like he saw it that way at first. Hope that eventually BW rises again better than ever and his mistake gets forgotten. He seems to have worked through it, realized just how bad it was and apologized to his supporters. Let's hope he gets forgiven in due time.


Some might argue that losing the OSL match gave YARNC the chance to qualify from tie breakers (which was probably one of the reasons why he was asked to matchfix seeing as how YARNC is involved in match fixing) but YARNC didn't qualify anyways.

hmm ya true. I did read that in the translation
Former BW EiC"Watch Bakemonogatari or I will kill you." -Toad, April 18th, 2017
ZidaneTribal
Profile Joined September 2007
United States2800 Posts
August 23 2013 00:06 GMT
#9
wow suddenly out of no where

what a shame those players had to match fix and get booted from kespa
fuck lag
BisuDagger
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Bisutopia19391 Posts
August 23 2013 00:32 GMT
#10
These players were just kids. It definitely sucks seeing kids make huge mistakes. But its nice to see at least it made a man out of him.
ModeratorFormer Afreeca Starleague Caster: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2
Release
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States4397 Posts
August 23 2013 00:43 GMT
#11
The best marines vs burrowed lurker terran
☺
Antisocialmunky
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5913 Posts
August 23 2013 00:44 GMT
#12
I wish I could see Hwasin play again...


Q: In those difficult times, what words made you feel the worst?

A: There are no BW leagues now, even today it just doesn't feel real to me. But the words that make me feel the worst are "The ball that was passed down by so many seniors was lost in an instant in the hands of people like you."Regardless of whether this is true, it was because of my instantaneous error and personal ignorance that caused these accusations, they make me feel very difficult.


:[
[゚n゚] SSSSssssssSSsss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Marine/Raven Guide:http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=163605
X10A
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Canada9837 Posts
August 23 2013 00:52 GMT
#13
Its been so long; I'd almost forgotten about all of this. Shame on me
Sucks that the players like Hwasin were dragging into the scandal but mistakes are made and meant to be learned from
CJ/T8 Fighting//#1 STX and Bisu anti <3//YES X10A is based off the Freedom Gundam
Sephy90
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States1785 Posts
August 23 2013 00:54 GMT
#14
I had... totally forgot about this guy.
"So I turned the lights off at night and practiced by myself"
Peeano
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Netherlands5963 Posts
August 23 2013 00:55 GMT
#15
Since when may fomos content be posted on TL again? Pretty sure it isn't allowed...
FBH #1!
art_of_turtle
Profile Blog Joined September 2012
United States1210 Posts
August 23 2013 00:55 GMT
#16
Thats some deep stuff. Glad he came out and finally dealt with it, and I can forgive him for what he did.
Flash should fear Sacsri
Necosarius
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Sweden4042 Posts
August 23 2013 00:58 GMT
#17
Finally a word from Hwasin <3 It sucks that he matchfixed but at least he's admitting it and is showing remorse. I'm glad he's doing well now!
KasPra
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Estonia983 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-23 01:19:53
August 23 2013 01:14 GMT
#18
I feel sorry for him. I used to like him a lot. I remember screaming and running around my house jubilating after he won that epic underdog game with Bisu (on Outsider).

Good times.
Kal_rA
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States2925 Posts
August 23 2013 01:18 GMT
#19
Korean punishments are pretty brutal. Kid made a mistake. Mind you, its a big one... but still he was just a kid. Shame that this is going to follow him for the rest of his life.
Jaedong.
Cele
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Germany4016 Posts
August 23 2013 01:22 GMT
#20
i wish you the best on a personal level Hwasin and don't bear grudge against you. Still, you and the other took part in BW's demise. I cant forgive that.
Broodwar for life!
1 2 3 4 5 13 14 15 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 13m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 154
ProTech133
Rex 53
CosmosSc2 42
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 35990
Calm 3427
Shuttle 2362
Jaedong 1819
Horang2 756
Mini 654
EffOrt 531
Soma 343
Stork 295
Rush 275
[ Show more ]
Soulkey 259
Larva 237
ZerO 225
BeSt 214
Snow 171
firebathero 114
Mong 110
Zeus 94
hero 77
910 73
Mind 70
sorry 67
Free 44
Hyun 40
Shinee 35
ToSsGirL 31
Sharp 29
PianO 26
Killer 25
JYJ 23
Aegong 22
Shine 20
Bale 18
Sexy 16
Terrorterran 16
HiyA 13
scan(afreeca) 13
Trap 13
Rock 11
Sacsri 10
Hm[arnc] 10
Dota 2
Gorgc5883
Dendi1169
420jenkins210
Counter-Strike
fl0m3457
Fnx 683
x6flipin596
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King124
ChuDatz34
Other Games
singsing2160
Liquid`RaSZi1309
hiko765
B2W.Neo581
dupreeh432
ceh9363
RotterdaM363
crisheroes309
Khaldor272
Livibee194
TKL 192
Trikslyr92
QueenE81
Dewaltoss49
ZerO(Twitch)18
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV252
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream36
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH291
• Hinosc 10
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 3042
• WagamamaTV421
League of Legends
• Nemesis2836
• Jankos1460
Other Games
• Shiphtur738
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
13m
The PondCast
18h 13m
INu's Battles
19h 13m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 6h
Replay Cast
1d 7h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.