• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:54
CEST 23:54
KST 06:54
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War565.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams Rollback Netcode in Brood War
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7783 users

I saved a life today

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Rekrul
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
Korea (South)17174 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-02-07 06:01:20
February 07 2006 05:50 GMT
#1
At my local underground illegal casino in the rich area of Seoul I found myself sitting with 7,000$ (3k profit) in a 2k min buy 10/20 NL game against 6 other older rich/gangster koreans. Generally they hate white people because the white people buyin short stack, play tight as hell, try to double up, then leave, and if they lose their initial buyin they leave too. Luckily I speak quite a bit of Korean by now and I've known some of these guys for a while now casino-ing (two of them who were very gangster and shady looking were guys that I had never played with until today...but I could tell they have lots of poker playing experience) and I never ever complain or brag while playing I just continue to order various forms of alcohol while playing and when I play I buyin big. I play better while drunk.

Ettiquete is very imporant in this place. Tipping is a must almost (not every hand you win, but anything sizable u give the dealer 10 bucks). If you lay a huge beat on someone giving them back 50-500$ of what you took from them is normal depending on how bad of a beat it was and how much you like the guy. People often act out of turn by folding too fast, or folding sloppily and their cards flipping over. They also string bet like hell. When showing hands they often show one card but not the other, and often muck when they are supposed to open their hands first. This stuff really pisses me off. But no one says anything because everyone does it, except me of course, but I am an average of 25-30 years younger than everyone and if I didn't know these guys I'd be scared as hell of them so I can't say anything about their terrible table nuances. You just gotta accept it the way it is. Its not every day you get to play in a 10/20 2k min buy with fish who try to raise to 320 preflop every single hand.

Anyways, at 1:30 AM about two hours into the game, a white guy I had seen a long ass time ago playing 1/2 NL in another casino strolls in. This guy is short, relatively ugly, mildly fat, and you can just tell he got picked on when he was a kid by the way he talks. If I could recall correctly he played tight as hell and was scared of money, but if he has a big hand he will bet huge (relatively compared to his small stack buyin). He asks......

"What are you guys playing, 1/2, 5/10?"

One of the koreans respond "Man - E-man" which translates to 10/20.

The kid looks befuddled and takes a moment to think to himself then asks, "What is the minimum buyin." I tell him two-thousand and then he shrugs and says well then I'm not gunna play. One of the nicer guys at the table who speaks english asks him,

"How much are you willing to play?" and he thinks and replies "a thousand." The Korean then asks all the other guys at the table in korean if its okay if he buys in with 1000$ and everyone agrees to let him play. He fuddles through his pockets and wallet and finally manages to gather 100 manwons (korean 10$ bills...the maximum normal currency size lol) which is 1000$ roughly. He takes a seat and the manager brings him his chips. The kid looks around in awe as several people have 10k+ stacks and the standard pre-flop raise is 1/3rd his buyin. Naturally he makes small talk with me all the way across the table commenting on my 'huge stack.' I let him know that being up 3,000$ in this game is absolutely nothing. The other day ten of us played 10/20. Three of us won together 67,000$ the other seven lost that much...seven people losing five buyins average in a 10/20 game live in one night. That is incredibly sick. Kid says to me (note by kid he is still a few years older than me I just have zero respect for him),

"just Gotta play tight!" with a gay smile that let me know immediately he was Canadian. I "Heh"'d him and didn't talk to him much after that.

About his seventh hand in he raises it up to 180$ preflop and gets two callers. Flop slams down A72 and he bets two hundred into the two callers. First guy folds and the second guy puts him all-in for 600 more.

"Damn...you got those trip sevens?...."

"....."

Thinking thinking thinking. The kid counts the chips in the pot, distraughtfully plays with his remaining 600$ in 4 black 100$ chips and 20 red 10$ chips. Note the player who raised him is the utmost fishiest guy in the game and he had 10k infront of him (he was already down 10k at that point...10k anger-rebuy for him).

Finally, with a look of disgust the kid calls and flips over Ace-King. I look at the guy next to me, a korean gangster, and we both give eachother looks that say "what the fuck was that fucking moron thinking about, of course he shoud call...600$, el oh el." Needless to say the fish who raised him all-in had A6 off suit and AK took the pot down. The kid makes a circle with his lips and blows out air in a huge sigh of relief, and rakes in the pot with his hands shaking like hell. One guy starts calling the guy with A6 a "byungshin" (fucking retard) and they both have a good laugh over the small pot he just lost.

Edward Shakeyhands then gets a call in which he mumbles in the lowest volume possible to possibly his gay lover that he just won a 'huge' pot then says he's busy and hangs up. All the korean guys are just looking around, saying nothing, but every single one of their eyes' said "WE WANT THIS WHITE MOTHER FUCKER'S STACK." The bloodhounds were THIRSTY for his 2200$.

Two hands later our star raises once again, this time to 240$ preflop. I stare down at AQo and muck it without hesitation, and the guy to my left makes it 600 to go. Tighty-whitey then reraises 400 more to 1000$. Re-raiser calls. Obviously tighty-whitey has AA or KK at this point...but perhaps the korean wasn't smart enough to realize this. The Flop thunders down 992 and they both get it all-in. Kid has KK and korean guy has QQ. KK takes it down and the white pride now has a 4500$ stack after 10 hands sitting down with 1000$. A lively underground smoke filled poker room that is normally filled with laughter and insults to and from people who just don't give one fuck about anything money related was now quiet as the night. I felt the anger radiating out of them. But our hero broke the silence by saying to the guy, "I knew you had queens or jacks, tough spot for you." After getting no response other than a look he promptly shut up.

After 10 more hands the shaking white warrior had cooled down and got up from his seat and paced around the other area of the casino on the phone (once again, presumably his gay lover) most likely bragging about how much money he just won. Then he dissapeared for a while, maybe taking a shit, maybe taking a fake shit, maybe a little of both. Upon return he came back with two plastic chip racks and says "sorry guys, I gotta go."

Lets just realize that in a place of such ettiquete among players hit-n-running is FORBIDDEN. Especially after they let him min-buy for 1000$ when the real minimum was 2000$. There is even a casino rule on the wall stating that the player must call "round" and play one more round of blinds before leaving. He did not even do this.

There are some mumbles "CASHOUT?" The nicer korean guy says "you're leaving after 20 hands?" The kid says "yeah I really gotta go sorry." The two korean gangsters that I hadn't seen until today looked at eachother with cocked heads, and one said "I CASHOUT TOO." The other one then immediately bellowed "I TOO CASHOUT." I didn't like the kid either in the first place, but this made me want to join them.

Then as they were standing up one said in Korean, "we are going to go get our money back from that foreigner mother fucker."

To encourage them I replied in the most manner form of korean "Please do so!" with a smile. The table instantly burst out in laughter which lasted longer than it should have. I didn't intent this to be a joke, I was serious, but I guess given the circumstances to people who did not realize the other white guy could speak korean well enough to understand them and understand what they were doing. Then the one guy asks in english "YOU SPEAK KOREAN?" I said no and he said "BUT YOU KNOW WHAT WE GUNNA DO?" other one says

"DO YOU SEE THE PROBLEM? ITS NOT RIGHT. ARE U HIS FRIEND?"

"hell no"

After I reply I see the door going out shut and lock and the kid briskly walk away at a high pace.

The guys then don't even bother to pick up their chips and cashout and run up the stairs and out the door. At first I didn't really think they were going to do anything when I encouraged them to go kill him, I just wanted to let them know I agreed that the kid was a fuck. But I started to feel really bad at this point. Oh well, it was outa my hands.

Five minutes later they came back empty handed, and the fat one huffing and puffing heavily stated how the bandit escaped.

As much of a sucker the kid was I was relieved that he escaped, maybe he did deserve a beating but who knows, maybe he really did have a good reason for leaving. But if I did not stall those guys inadvertantly from going after him, he would have gotten wallopped and would have been powerless to do anything about it as he is a rodent english-teacher on foreign ground in a tightly-knit culture. By encouraging them to kill I prevented them from killing. My own anger at the kid was transformed into guilt and then relief and then satisfaction.

I am a saint. But boy oh boy, I sure hope that guy never comes back.

p.s. This is a TRUE story, 100%. I have no idea why I'm writing it but it was rather eventful to me atleast and I'm bored. I hope you enjoyed. By the way I endedup losing the 7,000$ I had that night and went home happily.
why so 진지해?
hasuprotoss
Profile Blog Joined March 2004
United States4685 Posts
February 07 2006 05:58 GMT
#2
Good job saving someone, but even better yet, good job earning all that money (as the guy sounded like a dick and so now money>him).
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/index.php?viewdays=0&show_part=5 <--- Articles Section on TL
FirstProbe
Profile Joined June 2004
1206 Posts
February 07 2006 05:58 GMT
#3
let me get this straight... you encouraged them to go after him, and inadvertently stalled them from kicking his ass - and you call yourself a saint? haha. nice story though.
HeadBangaa
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
United States6512 Posts
February 07 2006 06:01 GMT
#4
Awesome story! Rekrul the hero

"just Gotta play tight!" with a gay smile that let me know immediately he was Canadian.
HAHAHAHAHAHHAA
People who fail to distinguish Socratic Method from malicious trolling are sadly stupid and not worth a response.
TruthBringer
Profile Joined November 2003
United States578 Posts
February 07 2006 06:02 GMT
#5
Sweet, you avoided being an accomplice to murder, by taking action which would have made you an accomplice to murder.

Regardless of the legal implications, nicely done.
Carbon FC
MhX
Profile Joined October 2004
United States317 Posts
February 07 2006 06:03 GMT
#6
I want pics of these korean gangsters.
It would help the imagery of the story.
TreY
Profile Joined March 2004
United States997 Posts
February 07 2006 06:04 GMT
#7
You shoulda told him "Kiddie game's down the street"

Cute story
Team [LighT]
rel
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Guam3521 Posts
February 07 2006 06:05 GMT
#8
Dude rekrul is like real life mat daimon from rounders.
I'll tank push my way into her heart. ☮♥&$!
dronebabo
Profile Blog Joined December 2003
10866 Posts
February 07 2006 06:07 GMT
#9
--- Nuked ---
SchOOl_VicTIm
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
Greece2394 Posts
February 07 2006 06:08 GMT
#10
wow! I thought those things only happened in movies...
Meta
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
United States6228 Posts
February 07 2006 06:09 GMT
#11
fun to read.
is underground korea really that harsh? guess i just can't relate very well =x
good vibes only
JonnyDublin
Profile Joined September 2005
89 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-02-07 06:11:10
February 07 2006 06:10 GMT
#12
Wow dude, I like how you told that story. That was impressive, as I was reading it it felt like i was there. I could feel the tension in the air.

nicely done.
Sfydjklm
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
United States9218 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-02-07 06:11:55
February 07 2006 06:11 GMT
#13
OK... Youre an ass... Good to know...
twitter.com/therealdhalism | "Trying out Z = lots of losses vs inferior players until you figure out how to do it well (if it even works)."- Liquid'Tyler
CaucasianAsian
Profile Blog Joined September 2005
Korea (South)11602 Posts
February 07 2006 06:11 GMT
#14
wow, been a while since i have seen a topic about the life of Rekrul. I really appreciated it by learning about the Korean community, the good, and the bad. Good Job on winning some money, but it is really a good thing that you actually helped a man out. I think it was wrong that you let him in for $1000, and wrong for him for leaving after only 20 hands, but you saved a life. God will reward you in heaven.
Calendar@ Fish Server: `iOps]..Stark
Ender
Profile Blog Joined October 2003
United States294 Posts
February 07 2006 06:19 GMT
#15
Nice story. When you said the fat guy came back huffing and puffing I thought for a sec the kid actually beat the hell out of him lol
The beatings will continue until the morale improves.
StarN
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States2587 Posts
February 07 2006 06:24 GMT
#16
ROFLMAO!

Good Job Rek. You're on my list of heros now!
Retired BW Noob
DTDominion
Profile Joined November 2005
United States2148 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-02-07 06:25:52
February 07 2006 06:25 GMT
#17
meh, the idea of beating someone up for bad etiquitte is kinda dumb.

then again, he bought in with $1000 bucks less than he should have. in that situation i definitely would have made him cought up 1000

still though, you made it sound like he was in serious shit that IMO he really shouldnt have been.
hasuwar
Profile Joined April 2003
7365 Posts
February 07 2006 06:25 GMT
#18
Good shit Rek, good shit
Diablo3 ID: Exalted#1710 -------R.I.P. http://hasuwar.isgsa.org. Much love to Toptalent
intrigue
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Washington, D.C9935 Posts
February 07 2006 06:26 GMT
#19
take pictures! korean gangsters =)
that guy really should have gotten his ass kicked though ugh
Moderatorsloppy little slug
Izenra
Profile Joined October 2004
Canada679 Posts
February 07 2006 06:28 GMT
#20
I think they asked if he was your friend because they were scared of you Rekrul.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#3 - $100
ZZZero.O142
LiquipediaDiscussion
AI Arena Tournament
02:00
Swiss - Round 5
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 529
ZZZero.O 160
Hyun 96
soO 49
Dota 2
qojqva2281
monkeys_forever178
League of Legends
Doublelift3457
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5276
Liquid`Hasu574
Other Games
summit1g10017
FrodaN1503
KnowMe279
Livibee182
JimRising 116
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick718
StarCraft 2
angryscii 38
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 98
• Adnapsc2 29
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix3
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Scarra734
Other Games
• imaqtpie883
• Shiphtur574
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
12h 6m
Patches Events
17h 6m
BSL Open Qualifier
21h 6m
BSL Open Qualifier
21h 6m
OSC
1d 1h
OSC
1d 14h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.