• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:35
CEST 14:35
KST 21:35
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War625.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6415 users

Mechanical Keyboard Guide - Page 280

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 278 279 280 281 282 383 Next
Son of Gnome
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States777 Posts
April 23 2013 03:21 GMT
#5581
On April 23 2013 12:15 Absurd Bunny wrote:
I've decided to buy a leopold from elitekeyboards.com, but i don't know whether to get black switches or reds. I have a blue das keyboard, but it's too loud for playing at night and i've always wanted to try one of those switches. I've tried the blacks and reds before, but I don't really know which one to get. The blacks feel nice to me, but if the reds are as good as people say, then i would buy them instead. I'm leaning more on buying the blacks, but are they as bad as people say they are, are the reds better? Also, do the blacks make a louder noise than the reds?


This is all my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. Reds are possibly more quiet than blacks simply because the force you need to register on black switch is higher than that of a red switch. They are both fairly similar if you touch type in terms of noise if you bottom out though I would assume that the blacks would be louder just because there is more force behind them. I personally HATE cherry blacks and would tell you go with cherry reds. I own keyboards with all the major types of switches and blacks are by far my least favorite but that's just my opinion.
Whatever happens, happens
slytown
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Korea (South)1411 Posts
April 23 2013 03:57 GMT
#5582
Finally replaced the Zowie with the Quickfire as the best value board on the market, just because it is now.
The best Flash meme ever: http://imgur.com/zquoK
Apmje
Profile Joined March 2013
United Kingdom41 Posts
April 23 2013 11:06 GMT
#5583
On April 23 2013 12:15 Absurd Bunny wrote:
I've decided to buy a leopold from elitekeyboards.com, but i don't know whether to get black switches or reds. I have a blue das keyboard, but it's too loud for playing at night and i've always wanted to try one of those switches. I've tried the blacks and reds before, but I don't really know which one to get. The blacks feel nice to me, but if the reds are as good as people say, then i would buy them instead. I'm leaning more on buying the blacks, but are they as bad as people say they are, are the reds better? Also, do the blacks make a louder noise than the reds?


Blacks are fine. I used blacks for the last year or so and while they are stiff, they aren't too loud and have a nice amount of pressure.
Godwrath
Profile Joined August 2012
Spain10167 Posts
April 23 2013 11:36 GMT
#5584
On April 21 2013 19:12 kinsky wrote:
hi guys,

any opinions about this baby

Leopold FC500R Keyboard

available for about 100€ with brown switches and with/without "stealth mode"...or should I pick the zowie celeritas over this keyboard?!

thx in advance.


Not related to the product itself but...

...Do you like the shift layout ? I ask because i remember buying one keyboard at one time with that shift layout... and i couldn't get over it.
DERPDERP
Profile Joined October 2010
Kyrgyzstan189 Posts
April 23 2013 11:42 GMT
#5585
On April 23 2013 20:36 Godwrath wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 21 2013 19:12 kinsky wrote:
hi guys,

any opinions about this baby

Leopold FC500R Keyboard

available for about 100€ with brown switches and with/without "stealth mode"...or should I pick the zowie celeritas over this keyboard?!

thx in advance.


Not related to the product itself but...

...Do you like the shift layout ? I ask because i remember buying one keyboard at one time with that shift layout... and i couldn't get over it.


Obviously if hes used to shift layout like that, I go above and beyond just to find the right iso layout keyboard
8)
kinsky
Profile Joined November 2010
Germany368 Posts
April 23 2013 13:47 GMT
#5586
On April 23 2013 20:36 Godwrath wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 21 2013 19:12 kinsky wrote:
hi guys,

any opinions about this baby

Leopold FC500R Keyboard

available for about 100€ with brown switches and with/without "stealth mode"...or should I pick the zowie celeritas over this keyboard?!

thx in advance.


Not related to the product itself but...

...Do you like the shift layout ? I ask because i remember buying one keyboard at one time with that shift layout... and i couldn't get over it.



Do you refer to the small size of the left shift key?! Because i actually use a (shitty cuz always brakes) ss6gv2 and i feel like they are about the same size....
BaaL`
Profile Joined May 2010
297 Posts
April 23 2013 17:07 GMT
#5587
Just got a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid RED for my first mechanical keyboard, and I have to say it's a huge difference! Instantly my macro and APM is quite a bit better, it simply takes less effort to press keys.

Strongly recommend to anyone to use a mechanical keyboard if you play a moderate amount of SC2. The Quickfire is IMO a good choice overall, not too expensive (about 70EU where I live, ~90USD) and quite comfortable. The only thing you have to deal with is the lack of numpad, personally I didn't use it much.

Red switches seem very good to me, but I haven't tried any others, so can't comment any further on that.
Alkuelio
Profile Joined March 2013
Finland4 Posts
April 23 2013 23:08 GMT
#5588
Are there any mini-keyboards like Noppoo Choc Mini or Keycool 84 in ISO-layout? I need another smaller keyboard to be hauled around and ANSI-layout would be a bit of a hassle because of my native language.
Ropid
Profile Joined March 2009
Germany3557 Posts
April 23 2013 23:42 GMT
#5589
There are various strange Cherry G84 keyboards with ISO layout that are perhaps comparable to the Noppoo Choc Mini. Those use the Cherry ML switch instead of MX. That switch has less travel than the 4 mm of the MX switch and should feel a bit like brown MX if I understood it right. It's basically more some kind of laptop key switch, but it is mechanical. Additionally, on the G84, the keys are smaller than on a normal keyboard, everything is more bunched up, so perhaps bad if you have thick fingers. The G84 is available with a lot of European layouts in the Cherry documents, but that's perhaps only theoretical... who knows if any Scandinavian retailer orders a batch from Cherry.

There's the US International layout for ANSI keyboards. You can type ä and ö with that. That's what you could use with a Noppoo Choc Mini.
"My goal is to replace my soul with coffee and become immortal."
Alkuelio
Profile Joined March 2013
Finland4 Posts
April 24 2013 00:43 GMT
#5590
Thing is, those letters are used so often it would be suboptimal to use altgr every time. Guess I could bind them to their original places via software...
Ropid
Profile Joined March 2009
Germany3557 Posts
April 24 2013 01:42 GMT
#5591
You could use Finnish layout like with ISO. The US keyboard is shaped differently around the Enter key, but no key is missing in that area. The missing key is on the left side, the key for <, >, |. You can set up keyboard shortcuts to switch layouts in Windows, so you don't need special software like AutoHotKey.

There's another thing about US International layout: if you type "a, the " does not instantly appear, it waits on the next key to decide what to do. If you type "a, you'll get ä. So you don't actually need AltGr to type ö etc., but typing Shift-', o to get ö is probably not any better than using AltGr. It's also pretty annoying if you actually want ". You'll have to type " followed by Space if there's aeuioy following it, or it will get fused to äëïöüÿ.

The Cherry G84 line of keyboards might still be worth a look. I remember people who tried various mech keyboards declaring it's the best keyboard for them. There are people that like the ML switch the best, and there are people that like that the size of the keys is smaller. Perhaps you can return it when buying online if you don't like it? Is a return right an EU regulation or only German?
"My goal is to replace my soul with coffee and become immortal."
althaz
Profile Joined May 2010
Australia1001 Posts
April 24 2013 04:30 GMT
#5592
Anybody know of a good mechanical keyboard, preferrably with brown switches that is smaller than usual (eg: no numpad and maybe even no arrows/home/insert/etc)?
The first rule we don't talk about race conditions. of race conditions is
phar
Profile Joined August 2011
United States1080 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-24 05:46:17
April 24 2013 05:35 GMT
#5593
On April 24 2013 13:30 althaz wrote:
Anybody know of a good mechanical keyboard, preferrably with brown switches that is smaller than usual (eg: no numpad and maybe even no arrows/home/insert/etc)?

You can get 84 key format that has no numpad, noppoo choc mini. Keycool has a similar board, but that's about it for cherry mx browns. There are some other small ones that use other switches (not even cherry mx), g84, hhkb.

Also "good" is going to be a relative term. Equivalent to like a HPE 87 in build quality, worse than a good board like a quickfire, but not shoddy.

Buy from qtan or intelligent-pro if you're state-side. Ah you're not state-side, can you buy from taobao in AUS? I can't imagine it'd be very hard to either just buy off of taobao directly or get an agent if you're in AUS.
Who after all is today speaking about the destruction of the Armenians?
phar
Profile Joined August 2011
United States1080 Posts
April 24 2013 06:00 GMT
#5594
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.85.9mb0mF&id=14986984593

400 rmb for mx browns (maybe 60-70 aud after shipping and agency fee). Not the greatest price. Can get blues or reds for 330. Go figure.

But, buy from ebay aus and you'll be paying way more (110 aud):

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Noppoo-Choc-Mini-NKRO-Mechanical-Keyboard-Cherry-Brown-/330611595850?pt=AU_Input_Peripherals&hash=item4cf9fc9a4a&_uhb=1#ht_8923wt_906
Who after all is today speaking about the destruction of the Armenians?
Blaec
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia4289 Posts
April 24 2013 06:38 GMT
#5595
On April 24 2013 15:00 phar wrote:
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.85.9mb0mF&id=14986984593

400 rmb for mx browns (maybe 60-70 aud after shipping and agency fee). Not the greatest price. Can get blues or reds for 330. Go figure.

But, buy from ebay aus and you'll be paying way more (110 aud):

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Noppoo-Choc-Mini-NKRO-Mechanical-Keyboard-Cherry-Brown-/330611595850?pt=AU_Input_Peripherals&hash=item4cf9fc9a4a&_uhb=1#ht_8923wt_906


Apparently there is a shortage of brown switches, which is why they are more expensive than others atm.
phar
Profile Joined August 2011
United States1080 Posts
April 24 2013 07:05 GMT
#5596
Oh, interesting.
Who after all is today speaking about the destruction of the Armenians?
DERPDERP
Profile Joined October 2010
Kyrgyzstan189 Posts
April 24 2013 08:07 GMT
#5597
On April 24 2013 08:08 Alkuelio wrote:
Are there any mini-keyboards like Noppoo Choc Mini or Keycool 84 in ISO-layout? I need another smaller keyboard to be hauled around and ANSI-layout would be a bit of a hassle because of my native language.


You can always group buy from gh and try to build your own, I've got a bit of an experiment with a gh60 pcb and finnish layout.
8)
phodacbiet
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1740 Posts
April 24 2013 08:13 GMT
#5598
On April 23 2013 12:21 Son of Gnome wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 23 2013 12:15 Absurd Bunny wrote:
I've decided to buy a leopold from elitekeyboards.com, but i don't know whether to get black switches or reds. I have a blue das keyboard, but it's too loud for playing at night and i've always wanted to try one of those switches. I've tried the blacks and reds before, but I don't really know which one to get. The blacks feel nice to me, but if the reds are as good as people say, then i would buy them instead. I'm leaning more on buying the blacks, but are they as bad as people say they are, are the reds better? Also, do the blacks make a louder noise than the reds?


This is all my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. Reds are possibly more quiet than blacks simply because the force you need to register on black switch is higher than that of a red switch. They are both fairly similar if you touch type in terms of noise if you bottom out though I would assume that the blacks would be louder just because there is more force behind them. I personally HATE cherry blacks and would tell you go with cherry reds. I own keyboards with all the major types of switches and blacks are by far my least favorite but that's just my opinion.


Red and blacks are both equally quiet imo. Reds are easier to press so if you are a keybaord smasher then i guess it would make it louder. But id get the reds over the black because its easier to press and does generally feels better to type/use
FakePseudo
Profile Joined January 2012
Belgium716 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-17 19:15:43
April 24 2013 12:11 GMT
#5599
On April 24 2013 13:30 althaz wrote:
Anybody know of a good mechanical keyboard, preferrably with brown switches that is smaller than usual (eg: no numpad and maybe even no arrows/home/insert/etc)?


Dunno if you could possibly grab one from australia, but filco makes great TKL keyboards, and just released an ultra-compact version (noppoo choc-like) called minila. You could try that out (All of them are available with the four usual cherry mx switches). Filco places itself in the upper quality and price range tho.

[Edit: just realized my post looks pretty commercial. It's just that I own a Filco and I love it, and I never owned any other mech keyboard, so I can't speak for these very accurately]

I am the 0.0007% /forum/viewpost.php?post_id=17208334|| Big Black Women Vocals Is Like Porn to my Ears ||San Antonio Spurs|Boston Celtics||#1EZToss Hater;
k1w1
Profile Joined September 2012
United States22 Posts
April 24 2013 13:42 GMT
#5600
On April 23 2013 12:21 Son of Gnome wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 23 2013 12:15 Absurd Bunny wrote:
I've decided to buy a leopold from elitekeyboards.com, but i don't know whether to get black switches or reds. I have a blue das keyboard, but it's too loud for playing at night and i've always wanted to try one of those switches. I've tried the blacks and reds before, but I don't really know which one to get. The blacks feel nice to me, but if the reds are as good as people say, then i would buy them instead. I'm leaning more on buying the blacks, but are they as bad as people say they are, are the reds better? Also, do the blacks make a louder noise than the reds?


This is all my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. Reds are possibly more quiet than blacks simply because the force you need to register on black switch is higher than that of a red switch. They are both fairly similar if you touch type in terms of noise if you bottom out though I would assume that the blacks would be louder just because there is more force behind them. I personally HATE cherry blacks and would tell you go with cherry reds. I own keyboards with all the major types of switches and blacks are by far my least favorite but that's just my opinion.


if you bottom out your keys a lot, pick up some o-rings http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-accessories-2/cherry-mx-rubber-switch-dampeners.html . They're cheap ($15 for 125) and they really dampen the sound of bottoming out the keys.

Blacks I find are quieter because they take more pressure to bottom out, but if I'm spamming keys then it's loud, but I would expect the reds might be louder, but get o-rings and you'll be fine.
Prev 1 278 279 280 281 282 383 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
herO vs ByuNLIVE!
CranKy Ducklings243
SHIN 153
CranKy Ducklings SOOP48
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 422
ByuN 354
SHIN 153
Railgan 48
MindelVK 25
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 71934
Calm 11052
Rain 2456
Bisu 1523
FanTaSy 806
Shuttle 575
soO 558
Stork 543
Rush 274
Soma 241
[ Show more ]
firebathero 209
Snow 207
Last 177
Light 102
Mind 94
Pusan 75
ToSsGirL 51
Sharp 49
Killer 46
hero 42
Bale 40
Free 39
sorry 36
Trap 36
Mong 30
Hm[arnc] 27
Aegong 26
zelot 22
yabsab 16
HiyA 14
Sacsri 13
Shine 12
Noble 12
Sexy 11
IntoTheRainbow 9
scan(afreeca) 7
Dota 2
Gorgc9010
Dendi627
Counter-Strike
fl0m1636
byalli864
x6flipin381
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King99
Other Games
gofns33954
singsing2280
B2W.Neo599
Pyrionflax249
Trikslyr31
Chillindude10
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV231
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 92
• Gemini_19 13
• Dystopia_ 4
• Response 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV525
League of Legends
• Jankos3045
• Nemesis1719
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1270
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
2h 25m
BSL Open Qualifier
6h 25m
BSL Open Qualifier
6h 25m
OSC
10h 25m
Replay Cast
10h 25m
OSC
23h 25m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 22h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.