• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:07
CEST 21:07
KST 04:07
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9501 users

[August] SC2 General Discussion - Page 11

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 18 Next All
Kid-Fox
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada400 Posts
August 23 2011 04:24 GMT
#201
On August 22 2011 20:06 SDream wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 22 2011 19:55 xactilian wrote:
I've been noticing a distinct lack of manners on the lower leagues which I inhabit, i've had 5-10 games in the last 2 days in which I wasn't given a gg after winning. Especially when I use Thors, which I know aren't the most goodwill-inducing units to lose to, but it's simply polite to gg. I'm quite new to SC2, so is this to be expected in lower leagues?


Yes, nowhere it is written that it is expected to say "gg" when you lose, so it might not be a common sense, some players might think you say gg (good game) to the games you thought were somewhat cool/interesting ("good"), and not just a standard "hi/bye" social thing.

If you really think the game was good you say ww (well won), if you just admit you lost and are going to leave, then you say gg (that basicly means: yeah, I lost, cya).

So yeah, not everyone understands the manners and that's fine, as long as their gg aren't "you sux" or "gay" I guess I am fine with the lack of "manners".


that's a pretty interesting point. I always thought it was a korean mistype of "gg" because the korean character that has a g sound (ㅈ) is in the same place as the "w" key, so if a korean forgot to switch languages on his keyboard, it would be "ww" instead of "ㅈㅈ". On cella's stream, they thought it meant "walla walla" lol.
Terran _Leach
Profile Joined August 2011
United States3 Posts
August 23 2011 11:40 GMT
#202
I'm a Bronze level Terran player that has heard that Protoss lacks good harass. This irks me a little. What's wrong with Pylons? Place a Pylon just outside the main base down the cliff and warp in units. DTs or Speed Zealots. It's one of the things I'm worried about most what facing a toss. Is this just my lake of experience talking?
"If your life is insignificant, make it significant." - Me
leBIGcrab
Profile Joined February 2011
France313 Posts
August 23 2011 11:44 GMT
#203
On August 23 2011 20:40 Terran _Leach wrote:
I'm a Bronze level Terran player that has heard that Protoss lacks good harass. This irks me a little. What's wrong with Pylons? Place a Pylon just outside the main base down the cliff and warp in units. DTs or Speed Zealots. It's one of the things I'm worried about most what facing a toss. Is this just my lake of experience talking?


By doing this you're relying on opponent's not scouting, and it isn't good.
Terran _Leach
Profile Joined August 2011
United States3 Posts
August 23 2011 11:52 GMT
#204
On August 23 2011 20:44 leBIGcrab wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 23 2011 20:40 Terran _Leach wrote:
I'm a Bronze level Terran player that has heard that Protoss lacks good harass. This irks me a little. What's wrong with Pylons? Place a Pylon just outside the main base down the cliff and warp in units. DTs or Speed Zealots. It's one of the things I'm worried about most what facing a toss. Is this just my lake of experience talking?


By doing this you're relying on opponent's not scouting, and it isn't good.


I understand especially in the case of Zerg's creep vision. Maybe I'm just thinking Toss should utilize Proxy Pylons more...
"If your life is insignificant, make it significant." - Me
DashFlow
Profile Joined June 2010
United Kingdom176 Posts
August 23 2011 11:59 GMT
#205
On August 23 2011 12:59 srkishy wrote:
Quick question for those more familiar with SC2 than myself. I know it's pretty easy to spot cloaked protoss and terran units (ghosts, bansheets, DTs and obs), without having detection, but is it possible at all to spot burrowed zerg units without any detection?

Yes, you can see the ripples under the ground when they move.
I Only Want You To Think Im Fantastic!
DarQraven
Profile Joined January 2010
Netherlands553 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-23 12:03:13
August 23 2011 12:02 GMT
#206
The thing is, having DTs means you went down a tech route that isn't really gonna get you any army strength, only harass. Considering that T can scan or throw down some turrets and nullify your entire expense, it's simply a gamble to use tactics like those.

If you compare this to other races harass options, they are almost guaranteed to do enough damage to justify the cost. Banshees are guaranteed to get a couple of probe kills, maybe even pick off a pylon or two, and that doesn't depend on the other player not scouting. Most importantly, they fit into the big army a lot better - they're standard fare for a 1/1/1 push, and their mobility allows you to keep using them even when the other guy already knows you have them.

Same for Mutalisks. Sure, they might not do too well in a big army battle, but they will soft contain an opponent in their base for the longest time, allowing Z to get their econ up, which is already worth the expense.

With DT's it's simply not the same. It's a trick you can do and sometimes it will pay off. Most of the times, not.
DeathElemyx
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada2 Posts
August 23 2011 15:57 GMT
#207
I think you're completely right but in the late game it's not as much of a gamble because people don't tend to have full DT-prevention-defense at every single base. Their army can't spread perfectly as much as they'd love to. In ZvP macro games I always see even people like Destiny struggling a little with spread DT harassment but of course he eventually puts up spines and spores. My point is they're still useful in the late game but at the right places at the right time.


Also I'd like to ask, I heard there's an APM meter you can put onto SC2 just like with Brood War. Anyone got any idea where to get it ? I'd like to check out my APM in the middle of a match and not have to check it out on the replay.
whoopingchow
Profile Joined June 2011
United States293 Posts
August 23 2011 16:50 GMT
#208
I know sc2gears has an APM checker thing, but I think that just lets you know if you dip below or above a certain APM. Not sure if it's what you're looking for (doesn't sound like it), but might be worth checking out?
DeathElemyx
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada2 Posts
August 23 2011 17:52 GMT
#209
Oh my god thank you so much, I've been looking for this program for a while now. It's so useful in many regards and it saves all my replays in one clean area.
You have saved me many hours of frustration :D
SlowAnimation
Profile Joined August 2011
United States4 Posts
August 23 2011 22:41 GMT
#210
Scouting is never overrated. Its the most essential part of your game. With out proper scouting its hard
to determine a build and if they do scout your tech and hard counter it you lose. For this reason the word imbalance and overpowered get thrown around without reason or justification. As for upgrades depending on the build its not always required but there is nothing wrong if implemented properly It can help with vital timing attacks on both offense and defense. The thing is incorporating them into a build properly without losing to much outta resources and units in the early game.
DarQraven
Profile Joined January 2010
Netherlands553 Posts
August 24 2011 00:15 GMT
#211
On August 24 2011 07:41 SlowAnimation wrote:
Scouting is never overrated. Its the most essential part of your game. With out proper scouting its hard
to determine a build and if they do scout your tech and hard counter it you lose. For this reason the word imbalance and overpowered get thrown around without reason or justification. As for upgrades depending on the build its not always required but there is nothing wrong if implemented properly It can help with vital timing attacks on both offense and defense. The thing is incorporating them into a build properly without losing to much outta resources and units in the early game.


How does that mean that imbalance or overpowered are empty words? Many people know just fine when a certain attack is coming, yet *still* can't beat it. That's when they cry OP. In other cases, the nature of the attack/build means that you cannot scout it for certain and can only guess (example being proxy stargates).

You're basically saying that the only reason people consistently lose to anything is that they don't scout at all. This is simply not true. Beating a strategy requires two components: information and an actual response to that information.
Asmodeusz
Profile Joined August 2011
193 Posts
August 24 2011 00:26 GMT
#212
On August 23 2011 13:24 Kid-Fox wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 22 2011 20:06 SDream wrote:
On August 22 2011 19:55 xactilian wrote:
I've been noticing a distinct lack of manners on the lower leagues which I inhabit, i've had 5-10 games in the last 2 days in which I wasn't given a gg after winning. Especially when I use Thors, which I know aren't the most goodwill-inducing units to lose to, but it's simply polite to gg. I'm quite new to SC2, so is this to be expected in lower leagues?


Yes, nowhere it is written that it is expected to say "gg" when you lose, so it might not be a common sense, some players might think you say gg (good game) to the games you thought were somewhat cool/interesting ("good"), and not just a standard "hi/bye" social thing.

If you really think the game was good you say ww (well won), if you just admit you lost and are going to leave, then you say gg (that basicly means: yeah, I lost, cya).

So yeah, not everyone understands the manners and that's fine, as long as their gg aren't "you sux" or "gay" I guess I am fine with the lack of "manners".


that's a pretty interesting point. I always thought it was a korean mistype of "gg" because the korean character that has a g sound (ㅈ) is in the same place as the "w" key, so if a korean forgot to switch languages on his keyboard, it would be "ww" instead of "ㅈㅈ". On cella's stream, they thought it meant "walla walla" lol.


It is what you thought, people just backwards rationalized it because they didn't know what you knew.
Iyerbeth
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
England2410 Posts
August 24 2011 13:18 GMT
#213
What kind of a skill difference is there between GM and professional? Watching the likes of Sheth even when he's just messing about on ladder he seems like he's at least a league ahead and you never hear something like "Here at MLG, we're in the finals and spawning on the right side, he's a GM player you've never heard of before with no team or sponsership, BeardedPacMan!"

So yeah, just how big is the skill difference between being GM and being pro?
♥ Liquid`Sheth ♥ Liquid`TLO ♥
Haze.884
Profile Joined July 2011
New Zealand192 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-24 13:24:11
August 24 2011 13:23 GMT
#214
On August 23 2011 13:24 Kid-Fox wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 22 2011 20:06 SDream wrote:
On August 22 2011 19:55 xactilian wrote:
I've been noticing a distinct lack of manners on the lower leagues which I inhabit, i've had 5-10 games in the last 2 days in which I wasn't given a gg after winning. Especially when I use Thors, which I know aren't the most goodwill-inducing units to lose to, but it's simply polite to gg. I'm quite new to SC2, so is this to be expected in lower leagues?


Yes, nowhere it is written that it is expected to say "gg" when you lose, so it might not be a common sense, some players might think you say gg (good game) to the games you thought were somewhat cool/interesting ("good"), and not just a standard "hi/bye" social thing.

If you really think the game was good you say ww (well won), if you just admit you lost and are going to leave, then you say gg (that basicly means: yeah, I lost, cya).

So yeah, not everyone understands the manners and that's fine, as long as their gg aren't "you sux" or "gay" I guess I am fine with the lack of "manners".


that's a pretty interesting point. I always thought it was a korean mistype of "gg" because the korean character that has a g sound (ㅈ) is in the same place as the "w" key, so if a korean forgot to switch languages on his keyboard, it would be "ww" instead of "ㅈㅈ". On cella's stream, they thought it meant "walla walla" lol.


You are very much right, just as a trivia:

ㅎㅎ = gg mistyped in korean
ww = ㅈㅈ = 지지

just in case some1 wonders what ㅎㅎ is :D
a
RoboBob
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States798 Posts
August 24 2011 17:23 GMT
#215
Does anyone know where I can find a pure .mp3 or .wav file of the "gg" from GG button?

I have the app on my iphone but I'd like to use it in sc2gears for victory music. So I need it in .mp3 or .wav. I found a couple vids of the gg button on youtube, but they've all got background noise in them.
dnyceboy
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States31 Posts
August 24 2011 20:17 GMT
#216
i am new to the game of starcraft i want to make some friends in the community and get better message me and let me know
Earll
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Norway847 Posts
August 24 2011 20:49 GMT
#217
Ok jesus what the fuck. A long time ago I lost my way into bronze on purpose for a handfull of reasons, Then i played a few games last season and probably went like 15-0 or 10-0 or something. Now I have just started playing this season again, and gone 37-2 and no promotion yet. wtf? D:
Wat
Bamurdead4
Profile Joined August 2011
3 Posts
August 24 2011 21:01 GMT
#218
--- Nuked ---
Flossy
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States870 Posts
August 24 2011 21:06 GMT
#219
On August 25 2011 05:49 Earll wrote:
Ok jesus what the fuck. A long time ago I lost my way into bronze on purpose for a handfull of reasons, Then i played a few games last season and probably went like 15-0 or 10-0 or something. Now I have just started playing this season again, and gone 37-2 and no promotion yet. wtf? D:

Your mmr has to stabilize. Until you start losing games you won't get promoted.
etternaonline.com
Earll
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Norway847 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-24 22:19:48
August 24 2011 21:18 GMT
#220
On August 25 2011 06:06 Flossy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 25 2011 05:49 Earll wrote:
Ok jesus what the fuck. A long time ago I lost my way into bronze on purpose for a handfull of reasons, Then i played a few games last season and probably went like 15-0 or 10-0 or something. Now I have just started playing this season again, and gone 37-2 and no promotion yet. wtf? D:

Your mmr has to stabilize. Until you start losing games you won't get promoted.



fuck B( is it possible with double\tripple promotions then?

Edit: And why does it not like increase the difficulty of my opponents faster =-| I mean I am 45-2 or 3 now and still meeting silver league people.
Wat
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 18 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
01:00
#66
TKL 2011
RotterdaM977
TaKeTV 389
IndyStarCraft 191
SteadfastSC126
ZombieGrub96
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
TKL 1831
RotterdaM 977
IndyStarCraft 196
MaxPax 183
RuFF_SC2 133
SteadfastSC 126
ZombieGrub96
UpATreeSC 66
MindelVK 21
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 3016
Shuttle 589
Dewaltoss 96
910 74
Zeus 72
Mind 67
ToSsGirL 20
Bale 15
Dota 2
qojqva3542
Counter-Strike
fl0m6063
pashabiceps1316
Fnx 667
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4186
Liquid`Hasu453
Other Games
Beastyqt775
ceh9484
mouzStarbuck430
C9.Mang0123
ToD82
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV222
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream22
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 121
• Reevou 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 16
• Eskiya23 9
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie769
• Shiphtur300
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
3h 53m
Afreeca Starleague
14h 53m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
15h 53m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 4h
Patches Events
1d 20h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
OSC
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.