• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:38
CEST 16:38
KST 23:38
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon104
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6637 users

TL Fitness Initiative (Weight Loss/Gain) - Page 41

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 39 40 41 42 43 119 Next
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
July 11 2009 10:06 GMT
#801
well its ok to even lean a little bit into it

but yeah imo it's normal to feel it more in your arms
Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
July 11 2009 10:14 GMT
#802
I use to feel those in my arms as well, I use a strap now and just double the weight, bringing the dumbbell, up and back to my hip/waist.
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
Nazarene
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Denmark996 Posts
July 11 2009 10:41 GMT
#803
On July 07 2009 05:41 travis wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 07 2009 05:35 eshlow wrote:
On July 07 2009 05:24 travis wrote:
I can now do a 1 arm pullup with my right arm (though it is fairly pathetic looking)

left arm here i come... though it is so far behind my right


Nice dude. That's pretty impressive... what's your weight?

I worked myself up to 4 with each arm, but it was aggravating my shoulder so I had to stop for a while. I can probably maybe do 2 now I think.


wow sick I thought I would probably be the only guy here who could do one
i weigh about 155, am about 6'1
I am very strong in pull muscles though, weak comparatively in push muscles

it's funny a lot of people I talk to can do like 15-20 or even more pullups, and I can only do like 10. but I am still able to do the 1 arm pullup with my right arm. seems odd. maybe I go too slow/use too strict of form. or maybe I just need to work harder on developing a good kip.

or maybe it's a muscle mass thing? I am not very big I guess.

I am able to do just 2 1 arm pullup (only with my strong arm, none with my weak :p) while I can do 27 regular pull ups. Seems odd to me too.
A person's weight is probably an important factor in the 1 arm pull up thing as well. I'm 5'8'' and weigh 160 (low body fat)
UmmTheHobo
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
United States650 Posts
July 12 2009 07:02 GMT
#804
My wrists are incredibly small/weak, Thus lifting weights is extremely painful for me. Is there any way I can strengthen my wrists so lifting weights is not so hard on them?
...
daz
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
Canada643 Posts
July 12 2009 07:12 GMT
#805
On July 11 2009 13:33 Medzo wrote:
Ive been following scoobysworkshop (listed in OP) for awhile. Solid advice there and I very highly recommend it. I am trying to gain some weight, been working at it for a few months and I have seen some results. Best to just keep at it and don't expect large gains to come quickly.


if your talking about the video where he says you can only expect to put on 5 lb of muscle in a year even if you work out perfectly 6 times a week and go really hard, i just wanna let you know what he says there is total bullshit.

Well its not bullshit because if you really do workout 6 times a week for an hour and a half each time you probably wont put on any muscle at all because you will just kill your body. Muscle is gained while recovering and if you arent already an experienced bodybuilder on steroids then theres no way you can recover at all working out 6 days a week.

However if you lift hard and heavy and do the big lifts like squat and DL 2-3 times a week and you eat enough calories/protein you can gain WAY more then 5 lb of muscle in a year. In fact ive put on almost 20 lb of muscle just in the last 6-7 months and honestly i didnt even know wtf i was doing until about 2 months ago
Some eat to remember, some smash to forget. 2009msl.com
daz
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
Canada643 Posts
July 12 2009 07:17 GMT
#806
On July 11 2009 13:34 -_- wrote:
eh, might as well half blog in here.

I feel really good this week. I got my three lifting days in mo we fri. I'm a starting strength fiend. I used to bodybuild. And doing squats, power cleans, and deadlifts feels so strange to me still. And I've been doing them for about 6 months. I guess that's expected, though, as I've been doing bicep curls since I was 14.

My squat form is solid and safe. Deadlift I'm confident in. Power clean... hmmm truth is I don't know. And I'm not sure any more reading will help me. I think I'm doing them right. And considering my back is locked in when the bar is below my knees, and I rotate my elbows to get the weight off my wrists at the top, I guess I'm not hurting myself. So there's no downside to doing them. Though I'd kill to have a coach tell me "you're doing it right!"

I'm considering adding in cardio on off days. But I'm already feeling so good I wonder if its necessary. And when I do run on nice days it feels so easy!

I'm >6'1 btw (people always tell me I'm taller than that though, but I haven't measured) and n0ow I'm in the 220s. I used to be about 240. I feel really healthy. I'd like to get below 200 though.


yeah man i just started doing starting strength a little less then 2 months ago and man i love it so far. Theres no better feeling then adding weight every time you workout.
Some eat to remember, some smash to forget. 2009msl.com
Cheerio
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
Ukraine3178 Posts
July 12 2009 07:29 GMT
#807
What a nice thread.
I've started attending health club like 2 weeks ago and it's really fun (it's a bit embarassing to pull very low weight but not that someone cares). Working to gain muscle mass as I'm way too scinny (fast metabolism probably). I have some questions though:

1) When you do 3 sets of 10: if you do last set 10 times than you can do first set more for sure, so shoud you do like 14-12-10 or only 10-10-10 or 12-10-8 (10 in average)?

2) A lot of guys in the gym drink protein coctailes from protein powder. My friends urge me not to but as far as my search in internet has shown it is not more unhealthy than drinking coca-cola. Can drinking protein cocktailes have some nasty side-effects?
daz
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
Canada643 Posts
July 12 2009 07:40 GMT
#808
They're perfectly healthy if you buy a good product. Just do some research and make sure you are buying a quality protein shake and theres absolutely nothing unhealthy about it
Some eat to remember, some smash to forget. 2009msl.com
Cheerio
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
Ukraine3178 Posts
July 12 2009 08:32 GMT
#809
On July 12 2009 16:02 UmmTheHobo wrote:
My wrists are incredibly small/weak, Thus lifting weights is extremely painful for me. Is there any way I can strengthen my wrists so lifting weights is not so hard on them?

Play more starcraft? Joking. On the other hand typing a lot does put wrists and fingers under constant pressure which should make them stronger. Other than that: there are more than a hundred exercises - just pick the ones that don't involve much pressure on the wrists.

P.S. I have very small wrists and palms too.
psion0011
Profile Joined December 2008
Canada720 Posts
July 12 2009 08:50 GMT
#810
On July 12 2009 16:29 Cheerio wrote:
What a nice thread.
I've started attending health club like 2 weeks ago and it's really fun (it's a bit embarassing to pull very low weight but not that someone cares). Working to gain muscle mass as I'm way too scinny (fast metabolism probably). I have some questions though:

1) When you do 3 sets of 10: if you do last set 10 times than you can do first set more for sure, so shoud you do like 14-12-10 or only 10-10-10 or 12-10-8 (10 in average)?

2) A lot of guys in the gym drink protein coctailes from protein powder. My friends urge me not to but as far as my search in internet has shown it is not more unhealthy than drinking coca-cola. Can drinking protein cocktailes have some nasty side-effects?

A glass of milk with protein powder is SIGNIFICANTLY more healthy than fucking coca-cola, which is garbage for your body.
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
July 12 2009 08:56 GMT
#811
On July 12 2009 17:32 Cheerio wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2009 16:02 UmmTheHobo wrote:
My wrists are incredibly small/weak, Thus lifting weights is extremely painful for me. Is there any way I can strengthen my wrists so lifting weights is not so hard on them?

Play more starcraft? Joking. On the other hand typing a lot does put wrists and fingers under constant pressure which should make them stronger. Other than that: there are more than a hundred exercises - just pick the ones that don't involve much pressure on the wrists.

P.S. I have very small wrists and palms too.


Maybe Using wristbands will help relief the pain in your hands (they make a little pressure on your wrist, and you feel not as much pain. I used to wear them all the time when practicing (more like OVERpracticing drums) and I went from really bad, to very good, really quick.) Try that.
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
starflash
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
190 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-12 09:57:32
July 12 2009 09:56 GMT
#812
can someone please explain:

what happens if you work out , but dont intake any protein

the muscle breaks down, then doesnt rebuild? or does it rebuild but with less-than-perfect materials? etc

i ask because i have no money atm and only have potatoes to live off :x
Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-12 10:05:58
July 12 2009 10:03 GMT
#813
You won't necessarily lose muscle mass, you might be prone to slower recovery and injuries though. You definitely won't be gaining any muscle if you're just eating potatoes!

I think the cheapest source of protein available would have to be canned tuna, or eggs. See if you can get either in bulk. Go to a local farm and buy tons of eggs, or buy 100 cans of tuna on special.
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
July 12 2009 10:08 GMT
#814
I read an interesting article for any of you guys bulking at the moment.

It talks about realistic muscle gains and what your body is capable of, its quite funny reading the article now and reading the first post on some of the muscle gain goals.

http://www.tmuscle.com/portal_includes/articles/2006/06-154-training.html
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
Cheerio
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
Ukraine3178 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-12 10:14:47
July 12 2009 10:10 GMT
#815
I've been told to forget about alcohol? Do you guys drink something stronger than juice?
starflash
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
190 Posts
July 12 2009 10:47 GMT
#816
alcohol fucks with ur recovery, fucks with ur on-the-day performance, fucks ur nervous system for longer than u realise. i know ppl like to smoke weed instead of it

ive just been told i wont gain muscle if i work out today, boohoo :'( fucking sunday cant even get to the bank
ghermination
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
United States2851 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-12 11:08:18
July 12 2009 11:08 GMT
#817
Wewt i finally hit 305lbs bench today. I've been trying to do that for weeks.
U Gotta Skate.
Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
July 12 2009 12:29 GMT
#818
On July 12 2009 20:08 ghermination wrote:
Wewt i finally hit 305lbs bench today. I've been trying to do that for weeks.


Freak!

Mass grats though!
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
UmmTheHobo
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
United States650 Posts
July 12 2009 20:23 GMT
#819
On July 12 2009 17:56 funkie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2009 17:32 Cheerio wrote:
On July 12 2009 16:02 UmmTheHobo wrote:
My wrists are incredibly small/weak, Thus lifting weights is extremely painful for me. Is there any way I can strengthen my wrists so lifting weights is not so hard on them?

Play more starcraft? Joking. On the other hand typing a lot does put wrists and fingers under constant pressure which should make them stronger. Other than that: there are more than a hundred exercises - just pick the ones that don't involve much pressure on the wrists.

P.S. I have very small wrists and palms too.


Maybe Using wristbands will help relief the pain in your hands (they make a little pressure on your wrist, and you feel not as much pain. I used to wear them all the time when practicing (more like OVERpracticing drums) and I went from really bad, to very good, really quick.) Try that.


Thank you, trying that out today :D
...
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
July 12 2009 20:44 GMT
#820
On July 11 2009 19:41 Nazarene wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 07 2009 05:41 travis wrote:
On July 07 2009 05:35 eshlow wrote:
On July 07 2009 05:24 travis wrote:
I can now do a 1 arm pullup with my right arm (though it is fairly pathetic looking)

left arm here i come... though it is so far behind my right


Nice dude. That's pretty impressive... what's your weight?

I worked myself up to 4 with each arm, but it was aggravating my shoulder so I had to stop for a while. I can probably maybe do 2 now I think.


wow sick I thought I would probably be the only guy here who could do one
i weigh about 155, am about 6'1
I am very strong in pull muscles though, weak comparatively in push muscles

it's funny a lot of people I talk to can do like 15-20 or even more pullups, and I can only do like 10. but I am still able to do the 1 arm pullup with my right arm. seems odd. maybe I go too slow/use too strict of form. or maybe I just need to work harder on developing a good kip.

or maybe it's a muscle mass thing? I am not very big I guess.

I am able to do just 2 1 arm pullup (only with my strong arm, none with my weak :p) while I can do 27 regular pull ups. Seems odd to me too.
A person's weight is probably an important factor in the 1 arm pull up thing as well. I'm 5'8'' and weigh 160 (low body fat)


well I was wrong and can actually do like 15
just hadn't tried in a while I guess

but still that's not that many
Prev 1 39 40 41 42 43 119 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
11:00
WardiTV Mondays #106
IntoTheiNu 943
WardiTV839
OGKoka 263
Rex141
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 281
Rex 144
ProTech140
Codebar 2
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 2866
Shuttle 1731
EffOrt 859
BeSt 694
Light 401
firebathero 341
Mini 315
ZerO 270
Stork 268
ggaemo 250
[ Show more ]
Rush 178
Barracks 111
Zeus 79
Shine 70
Sea.KH 66
Killer 60
sorry 42
Hyun 37
Mong 34
Shinee 31
Aegong 29
Sexy 28
Bale 26
ToSsGirL 26
Terrorterran 20
soO 19
ajuk12(nOOB) 13
Sacsri 11
yabsab 9
zelot 7
Noble 5
Dota 2
qojqva3580
Dendi1807
BananaSlamJamma359
LuMiX1
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes589
Other Games
singsing2266
hiko1165
B2W.Neo827
Liquid`RaSZi442
Lowko354
Pyrionflax223
Sick217
Liquid`VortiX205
ArmadaUGS107
Mew2King38
ZerO(Twitch)9
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream551
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 9
lovetv 9
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH300
• mYiSmile110
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2210
• Nemesis1559
• TFBlade605
Other Games
• WagamamaTV274
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
1h 22m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19h 22m
Afreeca Starleague
19h 22m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 9h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 20h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.