• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:31
CEST 23:31
KST 06:31
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)61Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8910 users

[G] TheCore - Advanced Keyboard Layout - Page 41

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 39 40 41 42 43 432 Next
VanGarde
Profile Joined July 2010
Sweden755 Posts
July 21 2012 00:06 GMT
#801
Snoodles: I used to have rax/fact on one key and starport on one before as well but for rally reasons. But I also know a lot of people who always had all of their production on one key with standard setup and never complained so I think it is just a matter of getting adjusted to this. When macroing out of everything there should be no loss of smoothness since it takes just as many hotkey hits to get the same amount of production. The thing I find annoying though is when I am for whatever reason macroing out of only rax and starports and I have to tab through factories every time, or when you press tab once too many at startports and have to tab all the way back. I guess in the end for precision having each production facility on an individual key is optimal but then you have to weigh that against the things you give up to make that happen which is to have some macro keys on more inconvenient keys as well as reducing your total number of army control groups.
War does not determine who is right - only who is left.
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
July 21 2012 14:14 GMT
#802
On July 21 2012 09:06 VanGarde wrote:
Snoodles: I used to have rax/fact on one key and starport on one before as well but for rally reasons. But I also know a lot of people who always had all of their production on one key with standard setup and never complained so I think it is just a matter of getting adjusted to this. When macroing out of everything there should be no loss of smoothness since it takes just as many hotkey hits to get the same amount of production. The thing I find annoying though is when I am for whatever reason macroing out of only rax and starports and I have to tab through factories every time, or when you press tab once too many at startports and have to tab all the way back. I guess in the end for precision having each production facility on an individual key is optimal but then you have to weigh that against the things you give up to make that happen which is to have some macro keys on more inconvenient keys as well as reducing your total number of army control groups.


If you want to do just Rax and Starport use the "Previous Subgroup Button!" its very useful. Currently I think its bound to something sub-optimal like shift+/ but I'll look into finding an easier previous subgroup button :D
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Snoodles
Profile Joined March 2012
401 Posts
July 21 2012 18:03 GMT
#803
On July 21 2012 23:14 JaKaTaK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 21 2012 09:06 VanGarde wrote:
Snoodles: I used to have rax/fact on one key and starport on one before as well but for rally reasons. But I also know a lot of people who always had all of their production on one key with standard setup and never complained so I think it is just a matter of getting adjusted to this. When macroing out of everything there should be no loss of smoothness since it takes just as many hotkey hits to get the same amount of production. The thing I find annoying though is when I am for whatever reason macroing out of only rax and starports and I have to tab through factories every time, or when you press tab once too many at startports and have to tab all the way back. I guess in the end for precision having each production facility on an individual key is optimal but then you have to weigh that against the things you give up to make that happen which is to have some macro keys on more inconvenient keys as well as reducing your total number of army control groups.


If you want to do just Rax and Starport use the "Previous Subgroup Button!" its very useful. Currently I think its bound to something sub-optimal like shift+/ but I'll look into finding an easier previous subgroup button :D


Thanks again for your hard work. Other than this subgroup thing I'm already getting used to this on the multitask trainer, it's not taking as long as I thought, since it feels like a variation of grid. Almost every building and unit now I feel that I can command/spawn faster than before.

I'd recommend anyone learning to use the multitask trainer where a zergling is following your probe around the whole time. It's better than just doing your build against the AI or using a build order tester, because it forces you to build fast without thinking or hesitating.
drgftw
Profile Joined July 2012
1 Post
July 23 2012 19:42 GMT
#804
wtf man... where is the layout? it's not there...
baselmarkit
Profile Joined July 2012
14 Posts
July 23 2012 21:33 GMT
#805
On July 24 2012 04:42 drgftw wrote:
wtf man... where is the layout? it's not there...

im having the same problem
Antylamon
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1981 Posts
July 24 2012 01:42 GMT
#806
Yeah it is...

Go under "Use this flowchart," select your race by clicking "show spoiler," then do the same for righty/lefty and 4th+5th mouse buttons/no 4th+5th.
DasMustache
Profile Joined June 2012
United States3 Posts
July 24 2012 03:56 GMT
#807
I've finally played enough games to get my APM beyond where I was before the switch (though now I am trying to keep it up) and the layered cameras have really helped my reaction time and general speed. I've always wanted to be able to use camera placements, but found them too difficult up at F1-F4. I could also only manage 4 control groups with the Grid layout and now I can very easily do 6 just because the keys are easier for me to reach and find. Two thumbs up!
ChiknAdobo
Profile Joined November 2010
United States208 Posts
July 24 2012 04:18 GMT
#808
I've tried using the core for a little while but eventually got frustrated and went back to the regular hotkeys. I know I didn't give it enough time but I was a little impatient. One of the key issues I had was using shift and control at the same time for the base cams. I removed the unnecessary keycaps but for the right hand it feels like too much of a stretch. I feel for lefties it seems more natural but for righties its a stretch. Does anyone have any tips on that? I would like to give this another try. Also in setting base cam locations I don't understand why alt has to also center over a selected building. It makes it harder to set a base cam on your natural before the base is actually there.
ZERg
Antylamon
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1981 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-24 04:52:30
July 24 2012 04:51 GMT
#809
On July 24 2012 13:18 ChiknAdobo wrote:
I've tried using the core for a little while but eventually got frustrated and went back to the regular hotkeys. I know I didn't give it enough time but I was a little impatient. One of the key issues I had was using shift and control at the same time for the base cams. I removed the unnecessary keycaps but for the right hand it feels like too much of a stretch. I feel for lefties it seems more natural but for righties its a stretch. Does anyone have any tips on that? I would like to give this another try. Also in setting base cam locations I don't understand why alt has to also center over a selected building. It makes it harder to set a base cam on your natural before the base is actually there.

I don't understand, why do you think pressing ctrl+shift is hard? If anything, they're harder to press seperately because you have to avoid one of the keys. With ctrl+shift you just lower your thumb. Easy.

As for alt, you're not supposed to set your base cam before you start your expo. Otherwise the CC/Nex/Hatch wouldn't be centered on the screen.

Although I am fine with you unbinding center on current selection if you're Terran or Toss. If you're Zerg, I would highly reccomend you let it be. Injects are so much easier when your Hatch is guaranteed to be in the perfect center.

Of course, if you flip Y and U like I did to make backspace injects easier, that seems to be the best way to unbind it from alt. I still prefer alt to have center on current selection for various reasons, but w/e feels better for you.
Snoodles
Profile Joined March 2012
401 Posts
July 24 2012 05:16 GMT
#810
On July 24 2012 13:51 Antylamon wrote:
As for alt, you're not supposed to set your base cam before you start your expo. Otherwise the CC/Nex/Hatch wouldn't be centered on the screen.


Personally I set base cameras as soon as the game starts. As a terran, I set my natural, my ramp block, and I like to set rally points to cam spots. Also, once I've scouted Ill set the enemy base cam for scans or a drop location. That's why I'm disabling the alt thing, I've never needed to center on current selection.
Tarqon
Profile Joined August 2011
Netherlands27 Posts
July 24 2012 12:28 GMT
#811
On July 24 2012 13:18 ChiknAdobo wrote:
I've tried using the core for a little while but eventually got frustrated and went back to the regular hotkeys. I know I didn't give it enough time but I was a little impatient. One of the key issues I had was using shift and control at the same time for the base cams. I removed the unnecessary keycaps but for the right hand it feels like too much of a stretch. I feel for lefties it seems more natural but for righties its a stretch. Does anyone have any tips on that? I would like to give this another try. Also in setting base cam locations I don't understand why alt has to also center over a selected building. It makes it harder to set a base cam on your natural before the base is actually there.

Do you play Zerg? If not feel free to unbind center on selection and make recall camera just control.
baselmarkit
Profile Joined July 2012
14 Posts
July 24 2012 15:40 GMT
#812
im sorry but i still can't see it. maybe i have some weird settings on my internet &firefox...
Serge89
Profile Joined May 2011
Belgium38 Posts
July 24 2012 16:04 GMT
#813
After a long customs games sessions for the last week, these are my final thoughts :

80-100APM To 200-281, as you imagine its rather a good point, with this layout, you sure to push your speed up faster than other layout.

Cam hotkey : I changed to Maj + P/O/I/J and i can access via Alt + P/O/I/J. As Toss, i rarely have more than 4 Nexus and for spams P/O then Alt+P/O its better imo.

Basic/Advanced Build : Still an issue cause you can't build as fast as i used to with darkgrid or maybe im still not use to.

I think i still need some more ladder games to master this layout but its worth it.

baselmarkit
Profile Joined July 2012
14 Posts
July 24 2012 16:25 GMT
#814
can someone take a screen shot and pm me it or something?

the right hand protoss, palm grid, no mouse keys!

thank you so much!
Morton
Profile Joined July 2012
United States152 Posts
July 24 2012 16:41 GMT
#815
this is a bit of a wierd edit, but with my slightly wierd keyboard (sidewinder x4) you can actually easily press alt+shift.

if you have a sidewinder x4 or x6 (or another keyboard where the alt+shift with the thumb is easy to do), you can change set control group to alt and then set set cameras to both ctrl+shift+whatever and alt+shift+whatever, then set go to camera to be ctrl+whatever.

This seems unnecessary, but it allows you to center any camera on a selection if you want or use it as a freecam, which is just more flexible than having only 2 freecams.

though I will note on my more standard keyboard this is nearly impossible without pressing "/"
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-24 18:21:49
July 24 2012 18:19 GMT
#816
2. Why does my camera move every time I try to set a camera?
+ Show Spoiler +
Alt is set to "center on current selection" this is not a mistake. The reason for this is that 5 cameras are dedicated base location cameras that will snap to your base whenever you want to shift+click back to minerals, do a transfer, or defend against a drop. These cameras are set with Alt and recalled with Ctrl+Shift. The 3 remaining cameras can be set anywhere for any purpose and are called free cams. These cameras are set with Shift and recalled by pressing the key.
2b. What if I want to set the "base location cameras" on an area where there is no building?
+ Show Spoiler +
If you want to set one of the 5 cameras intended to be set on an area where there is no building, shift+click the unit or building you have selected so that you have nothing selected and set the Camera.


Please read the FAQ section before asking a question

As far as the "where's the layout" question, do you mean pictures of the layout, or the file to download the layout into your computer?

They are Both in the OP:

Visual Aide (Pictures)

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]


Download TheCore Here:
https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=123164804EFAADB8&id=123164804EFAADB8!105


EDIT: as a small side note, there are 5 base cameras and 3 free cams
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Morton
Profile Joined July 2012
United States152 Posts
July 24 2012 18:32 GMT
#817
Its a tiny bit easier to click on minimap, ctrl+shift than to find selected unit, shiftclick, click on minimap, ctrl+shift.

Its really just a matter of flexibility over actual functionality, and it won't work on most keyboards, I was just sharing my personal modification.

and poor '7' always gets neglected. Small hands :/
Antylamon
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1981 Posts
July 24 2012 19:16 GMT
#818
On July 25 2012 01:04 Serge89 wrote:
After a long customs games sessions for the last week, these are my final thoughts :

80-100APM To 200-281, as you imagine its rather a good point, with this layout, you sure to push your speed up faster than other layout.

Cam hotkey : I changed to Maj + P/O/I/J and i can access via Alt + P/O/I/J. As Toss, i rarely have more than 4 Nexus and for spams P/O then Alt+P/O its better imo.

Basic/Advanced Build : Still an issue cause you can't build as fast as i used to with darkgrid or maybe im still not use to.

I think i still need some more ladder games to master this layout but its worth it.


What is Maj? 0_o
baselmarkit
Profile Joined July 2012
14 Posts
July 24 2012 20:05 GMT
#819
sorry but i meant like the layout guide

like which hot key do i use? that layout
Westy
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
England808 Posts
July 24 2012 21:09 GMT
#820
On July 25 2012 03:19 JaKaTaK wrote:
Show nested quote +
2. Why does my camera move every time I try to set a camera?
+ Show Spoiler +
Alt is set to "center on current selection" this is not a mistake. The reason for this is that 5 cameras are dedicated base location cameras that will snap to your base whenever you want to shift+click back to minerals, do a transfer, or defend against a drop. These cameras are set with Alt and recalled with Ctrl+Shift. The 3 remaining cameras can be set anywhere for any purpose and are called free cams. These cameras are set with Shift and recalled by pressing the key.
2b. What if I want to set the "base location cameras" on an area where there is no building?
+ Show Spoiler +
If you want to set one of the 5 cameras intended to be set on an area where there is no building, shift+click the unit or building you have selected so that you have nothing selected and set the Camera.


Please read the FAQ section before asking a question

As far as the "where's the layout" question, do you mean pictures of the layout, or the file to download the layout into your computer?

They are Both in the OP:

Show nested quote +
Visual Aide (Pictures)

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]


Show nested quote +
Download TheCore Here:
https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=123164804EFAADB8&id=123164804EFAADB8!105


EDIT: as a small side note, there are 5 base cameras and 3 free cams


I think I may just be being dense, but I can't figure out how to work the 5 base cameras.

Can you explain it to me?

Thanks
Prev 1 39 40 41 42 43 432 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 29m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech156
JuggernautJason83
ViBE0
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 207
Dewaltoss 95
Hyuk 68
Bale 14
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm12
League of Legends
Doublelift2653
Counter-Strike
Fnx 789
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King64
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5811
Khaldor949
Liquid`Hasu729
Other Games
summit1g6695
FrodaN2467
shahzam433
KnowMe322
C9.Mang0165
UpATreeSC115
ArmadaUGS89
Trikslyr48
ZombieGrub45
PPMD43
CosmosSc2 22
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV276
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream70
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH350
• davetesta1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21244
Other Games
• imaqtpie920
• Shiphtur196
Upcoming Events
OSC
29m
CranKy Ducklings
12h 29m
Online Event
13h 29m
FEL
18h 29m
AI Arena Tournament
19h 29m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
21h 29m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 12h
INu's Battles
1d 14h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 21h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 21h
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.