• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:23
CEST 09:23
KST 16:23
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon106
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] 2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach Bot on ladder BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8103 users

Nydus Worms, Use them - Page 3

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 Next All
zJayy962
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
1363 Posts
May 20 2010 16:00 GMT
#41
On May 20 2010 19:50 Madkipz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 20 2010 19:31 Yeld wrote:
Im not really at the skill level where i would want to use gimmic moves, as there are tons of other things i can improve upon my gameplay without resorting to backstabbing my opponents base.

Using a Nydus is not any more gimmicky than dropping with overlords or positioning your army correctly. I might read you wrong here, but I get the impression that you see the NW as a cheap way to achieve victory. As I see it, it is another tool in your arsenal, and if you refrain from using it because you think its cheap, then that doesn't help in making you a better player whatsoever.


Just like rushing voidrays is another tool in protoss arsenal ;?

I agree with the fact that there is a fine line between utterly cheap and simply being more mobile, however rather than paying 300 gas for two nydus worms i would invest in either spire or hydra den and perhaps even get a few upgrades for the same price as two - three worms.

As day9 says. It is important to have the basics down and to understand all 3 matchups before you begin experimenting with terrain advantage, overlord drops and nydus worms.

Because if you can win without these cute things then when you finally start experimenting with them these cute things will become that much more deadly.

I agree that it is great and it can win you games but even in lower platinum, I just think that there are other ways to improve rather than corporate nydus worm and doom drops into your overall strategy.


Positioning and terrain advantage is "basics". If you have the best mechanics in the world, if you attack cliffs without air you will still lose. Having nydus worm gives someone mobility. The core of a zerg ground army (roach/hydra) are some of the most immobile units in the game off creep. So you only have a few choices as zerg:
1. Creep highways
2. Overlord speed and drop.
3. nydus worm
4. All of the above.

Having mobility isnt a "cute" thing. Its crucial for zerg play anything passed one expansion. Of course there are other ways to improve your play, but the point is, nydus worms don't require you to improve your play. They require a clever mind while being able to keep up APM.
BlasiuS
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States2405 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-20 16:01:38
May 20 2010 16:00 GMT
#42
On May 21 2010 00:38 scintilliaSD wrote:
I don't know why Zergs don't use Nydus Worms similarly to the way Nydus Canals worked in SC1 - as a way to defend their new expansions. I guess it has to do with the fact that the army is so mobile on creep now that you wouldn't really need it, and the maps are small enough for the Zerg army to move around from base to base very quickly. I hope larger maps come out that reward more SC1-style Zerg play.


yeah that's not as necessary now that you have creep that gives 30% speed bonus.

i think it's better to be used to attack multiple bases at once.
next week on Everybody Loves HypnoToad:
Herculix
Profile Joined May 2010
United States946 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-20 16:04:17
May 20 2010 16:02 GMT
#43
Nydus Worms are amazing, and if I could just figure out a way to queue drones to automatically mine through the network, it would open up insane potential for safe 1-base Zerg play, which is currently not viable except for early game rushes. They could mine the entire map from 1 base theoretically. If you wanted to be cute, you could even mine the opponent's base when he's low on minerals to starve him out (super risky though, just a thought). It's funny because I was trying it yesterday but I couldn't figure out how to queue them to go in the network, come out, grab the minerals, come back, unload. Nydus Worm, maybe a few Spine/Spore Crawlers and you've basically expanded except if they attack your expo, you can evacuate (can you move the crawlers through the network?), you don't lose much, and chances are you've got networks elsewhere/can easily make one and keep going as if you never lost a base and you won't suffer the huge drop in drone count/mineral loss in multi-base play.

Also, Nydus Worms + Overlord drops have really good synergy. I was watching Artosis play Zerg yesterday. He put a Nydus Worm near the opponent's base and built Spine Crawlers - not IN it but next to it on high ground, I forget the map because I only just started playing SC2. If he had Overlord drop tech he could just rally his units into the network, lift his units over and drop them. Much faster and safer for your Overlord and your units because the time in which you have to actually lift and drop your units with the Overlord is a few seconds, you spend no time flying over potential enemies who can snipe you, you don't have to use like 5 overlords to transport 20 units and generally Nydus Worms require an Overlord scouting anyway. It's also much easier to defend simply by putting Spore Crawlers to defend against drops - the units in the network will defend on the ground on their own, especially since you usually network Hydras. However, I would say Overlord drops are more cost-effective and faster to incorporate just because all you buy is 1 tech.

The main negative to Nydus Networks are that they cost a LOT to start up, if you make a network before you build an army, a timing push will crush you.
Snowfield
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
1289 Posts
May 20 2010 16:02 GMT
#44
On May 21 2010 01:00 BlasiuS wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 21 2010 00:38 scintilliaSD wrote:
I don't know why Zergs don't use Nydus Worms similarly to the way Nydus Canals worked in SC1 - as a way to defend their new expansions. I guess it has to do with the fact that the army is so mobile on creep now that you wouldn't really need it, and the maps are small enough for the Zerg army to move around from base to base very quickly. I hope larger maps come out that reward more SC1-style Zerg play.


yeah that's not as necessary now that you have creep that gives 30% speed bonus.

i think it's better to be used to attack multiple bases at once.


+ the maps are so small atm that its basically faster to run to a place
TrueIsAwesome
Profile Joined April 2010
Finland160 Posts
May 20 2010 16:03 GMT
#45
One funny use is to place the nydus inside the enemy base, but not have any units inside it. Usually he'll send all his units to the nydus, then i just attacked the front, sniped his expo and retreated :D
Rekiv
Profile Joined April 2010
Great Britain27 Posts
May 20 2010 16:10 GMT
#46
If you can see the nydus worm burrowing in your base then you can hear the digging noise. Otherwise you will only hear the roar when it pops out.
Shiladie
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Canada1631 Posts
May 20 2010 16:14 GMT
#47
I have used NW to mediocur effect in the past, but their gas cost is far too high to be used as a standard strat, they need to reduce the cost of each worm to not include gas, and then we'll see them actually used all over the place...
slowmanrunning
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada285 Posts
May 20 2010 16:16 GMT
#48
On May 20 2010 17:41 frogmelter wrote:
Another thing that I don't see zergs do is after you summon the worm and do some damage, you can retreat all your forces back in the worm

That way, you can avoid losing most of your troops while doing damage


something I haven't seen enough people do (makes more sense since they nerfed it, but still a viable strategy) is move spine crawlers through the nydus worm and plant them outside of it. you can keep a cemented back door to his base with base defenses that has more potential than a toss proxy outpost.
I aim to become a hydralisk and then stop posting, cause I don't wanna be a queen...
slowmanrunning
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada285 Posts
May 20 2010 16:18 GMT
#49
On May 21 2010 00:38 scintilliaSD wrote:
I don't know why Zergs don't use Nydus Worms similarly to the way Nydus Canals worked in SC1 - as a way to defend their new expansions. I guess it has to do with the fact that the army is so mobile on creep now that you wouldn't really need it, and the maps are small enough for the Zerg army to move around from base to base very quickly. I hope larger maps come out that reward more SC1-style Zerg play.


I actually do do this... It works well, it surprises me that other people don't, as in seeing you don't have to sacrifice drones to do it anymore.
I aim to become a hydralisk and then stop posting, cause I don't wanna be a queen...
rj3k
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1 Post
May 20 2010 16:24 GMT
#50
I'm not even close to good (~17 gold division), but I have been able to use Nydus successfully in later game situations as a defensive strategy as I take over the map. Before a new hatch pops, I place a nydus worm right next to it and place a large portion of my army inside the network. I also load a few drones if I am smart enough to think that far ahead. In doing so, I can saturate a distant mineral field as soon as the hatch pops, as well as defend any of my bases as long as I see the opposition coming. IMO nydus worms are less valuable offensively because better players always seem to figure it out on time.
spinesheath
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany8679 Posts
May 20 2010 17:19 GMT
#51
Nydus only really becomes interesting in late game to abuse the spread of your opponent's bases and to help cover your spread out bases. It is not useful for direct attacks, drops are MUCH better for that.
If you have a good reason to disagree with the above, please tell me. Thank you.
Ceric
Profile Joined May 2010
United States36 Posts
May 20 2010 17:36 GMT
#52
I don't have a training partner and haven't convinced anyone to try it but can an ally use your Nydus network?
This Lingo will be the Death of me
Prdors
Profile Joined April 2010
United States67 Posts
May 20 2010 18:23 GMT
#53
To everyone wondering if the nydus makes noise the worm while building doesn't but when the overlord starts dropping creep it makes some noise. I lost a worm because the guy heard the OL drop creep. I think it's worth it to load some hydras and drop them to guard the worm because if they see it they can destroy the worm really quick.
Go Blue!
spinesheath
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany8679 Posts
May 20 2010 18:30 GMT
#54
On May 21 2010 03:23 Prdors wrote:
To everyone wondering if the nydus makes noise the worm while building doesn't but when the overlord starts dropping creep it makes some noise. I lost a worm because the guy heard the OL drop creep. I think it's worth it to load some hydras and drop them to guard the worm because if they see it they can destroy the worm really quick.

You don't need creep to place a nydus worm.
If you have a good reason to disagree with the above, please tell me. Thank you.
P00RKID
Profile Joined December 2009
United States424 Posts
May 20 2010 20:27 GMT
#55
On May 21 2010 01:16 slowmanrunning wrote:
something I haven't seen enough people do (makes more sense since they nerfed it, but still a viable strategy) is move spine crawlers through the nydus worm and plant them outside of it. you can keep a cemented back door to his base with base defenses that has more potential than a toss proxy outpost.


I don't think you can do that. You could move drones through, then build the spine crawlers though.

On May 20 2010 19:50 Madkipz wrote:
Just like rushing voidrays is another tool in protoss arsenal ;?

I agree with the fact that there is a fine line between utterly cheap and simply being more mobile, however rather than paying 300 gas for two nydus worms i would invest in either spire or hydra den and perhaps even get a few upgrades for the same price as two - three worms.

As day9 says. It is important to have the basics down and to understand all 3 matchups before you begin experimenting with terrain advantage, overlord drops and nydus worms.

Because if you can win without these cute things then when you finally start experimenting with them these cute things will become that much more deadly.

I agree that it is great and it can win you games but even in lower platinum, I just think that there are other ways to improve rather than corporate nydus worm and doom drops into your overall strategy.


The NW won't be worth the gas in a fairly normal close game that is low econ and high aggression. But if the opponent is deciding to tech and / or expo to drive the game into a longer game, there are good timing windows to punish them with the NW.

I understand the match-ups (as Z vs X) pretty well, so Its not like I just found the NW, clicked it, won a game, and decided they were good. I'm using them in response to the newer strategies than when it was used before. For instance vs the new style of Meching terran, or Stargates + warprays for P. I like to experiment with different play when there are new styles of play from other races, to see what they are weak against.

Honestly what drove me to experiment with them was the Meching Terran. Against terran its a good idea to put your nydus on a nearby Overlord's creepdrop so terran might miss with his scan.
"Does your butt hurt? 'cause you fell from heaven once the cast was over?" Artosis
roemy
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany432 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-20 20:58:31
May 20 2010 20:54 GMT
#56
i like nydus'ing the enemy's LT cliff : the nydus "head" spawns creep so spines can be built immediately. works even better if you let the overlord (that gave you vision up there) dump creep as well.

the best part ofc is the ability to go back and forth.
indeed, the "1 unit per .5 seconds" is not suitable for large armies, but a handful of banelings can be quite effective for any expo
rock is fine.. paper could need a buff, but scissors have to be nerfed
avilo
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
United States4100 Posts
May 20 2010 20:58 GMT
#57
lol I made a thread about this and zergs overreacting to roach nerf but it was closed due to being blasphemous or something against what other "top players" are saying. /facepalms

but yes, nydus worms are very, very good, and zergs refuse to use them STILL. You can build many of them and spawn worms simultaneously. It is sick.
Sup
woowoo
Profile Joined May 2010
France164 Posts
May 20 2010 21:00 GMT
#58
Once, playing a 2v2 as zerg, I pumped drones only and built a big spine crawler wall early, enemies were rallying near my choke to attack, I built a nydus in one enemy's base, transfered my queen and a dozen drones, dropped creep tumors,built spine crawlers, destroyed the base.

As zerg I always use Nydus network, I build it sticked to main hatchery then exits sticked to others hatcheries and strategic locations, in a mineral line, the creep prevent enemy to expand and I can flank him, a nydus cost nearly as much as 2 hydras but gives an huge advantage, I may be low on pop but my army is everywhere I built a nydus, I rally all hatcheries to the Nydus network, I always have units ready to pop out from a nydus.
wooooo
uberdeluxe
Profile Joined June 2009
Canada306 Posts
June 06 2010 04:25 GMT
#59
Zerg players: I don't really use nydus worms.
T and P players: For the love of god, don't use nydus worms!

interesting...
No mules, no collosi, no PFs, just LOVE!
guitarizt
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States1492 Posts
June 06 2010 04:37 GMT
#60
It just seems so cheesy and it's something that won't fool a good player more than once. I could see it working on ladder right now but if everyone starts doing it people will be more proactive about spreading depots / pylons and spotting for worms.
“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” - Hemingway
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 37m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SortOf 165
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 641
HiyA 189
Mong 67
Shine 44
NotJumperer 35
Bale 28
Noble 10
Icarus 10
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm188
League of Legends
JimRising 577
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 833
Heroes of the Storm
WinterStarcraft778
Other Games
summit1g9118
ceh9399
Happy366
PiGStarcraft355
olofmeister237
Livibee121
ArmadaUGS32
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick547
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream530
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH133
• LUISG 4
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2387
League of Legends
• Lourlo1393
• Rush1393
• Stunt454
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2h 37m
Afreeca Starleague
2h 37m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
16h 37m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 3h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.