• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:57
CEST 23:57
KST 06:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9201 users

UK Politics Mega-thread - Page 80

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 78 79 80 81 82 648 Next
In order to ensure that this thread meets TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we ask that everyone please adhere to this mod note.

Posts containing only Tweets or articles adds nothing to the discussions. Therefore, when providing a source, explain why you feel it is relevant and what purpose it adds to the discussion.
Also take note that unsubstantiated tweets/posts meant only to rekindle old arguments will be actioned upon.

All in all, please continue to enjoy posting in TL General and partake in discussions as much as you want! But please be respectful when posting or replying to someone. There is a clear difference between constructive criticism/discussion and just plain being rude and insulting.

https://www.registertovote.service.gov.uk
Jockmcplop
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United Kingdom10006 Posts
May 10 2016 18:21 GMT
#1581
Yes Khan is secular. In fact, he voted in favour of gay marriage and has spoken about the questions that come to mind re: dress codes for muslim women.
Of course there are muslims that prefer islam over integration, and this is a problem in the UK in particular.
What London has done is shown that we also have to try hard to help these people integrate, by welcoming them to our country and giving them a good example of how to behave. Simply hating them won't achieve anything, but by showing these communities that they can integrate, and that they have the potential to succeed to the highest level in our society, London has taken the negativity of the situation and turned it positive.
What Khan can actually do in this respect is another question, but symbolically this is huge IMO.
RIP Meatloaf <3
Shield
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Bulgaria4824 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-05-10 18:35:20
May 10 2016 18:31 GMT
#1582
This all sounds good, but I'm concerned with how much liberty Europe gives to muslims in general. You can call me old-fashioned, conservative or refer to islamophobia, I don't really care. What I care about is the number of women who wear burqa, the number of mosques and the amount of halal food. It seems like we don't integrate muslims but rather we integrate ourselves with their religion. It's good we give them a chance, but it's not good we don't teach them European values. Not many people may understand what I mean though. I'm ok with being 'outsider'.
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44361 Posts
May 10 2016 18:36 GMT
#1583
Why are you concerned by their food exactly? Are you worried they're going to make you eat it? I'm baffled by that one. Like normally it's shit like Rotherham rape gangs that the Islamophobes bring up but I just can't see the worst case scenario for halal food.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Jockmcplop
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United Kingdom10006 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-05-10 18:46:58
May 10 2016 18:40 GMT
#1584
Wasn't it Rochdale where all the rapists were?

Personally the more pressing matters with Islam in the UK are insidious and culturally ingrained things like forced marriage and FGM. Hopefully Khan will help by taking the lead on these crimes (he already set up a police task force into preventing forced marriage while serving in the cabinet a few years back iirc).

Hala food is just a ubiquitous muslim thing and I think its the easiest thing to moan about when it comes to muslims because it isn't particularly helpful to animal rights and there isn't really a comeback argument. Its just a slightly bad thing.
edit: Of course, i'm wrong about that having done the slightest amount of research. It appears that 80% of halal slaughter uses prestunning to make it humane.
RIP Meatloaf <3
Shield
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Bulgaria4824 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-05-10 18:49:17
May 10 2016 18:42 GMT
#1585
On May 11 2016 03:36 KwarK wrote:
Why are you concerned by their food exactly? Are you worried they're going to make you eat it? I'm baffled by that one. Like normally it's shit like Rotherham rape gangs that the Islamophobes bring up but I just can't see the worst case scenario for halal food.


Normally, I don't care about their food, but my closest 3 Subway stores are halal. I don't want to eat food which was prepared with pray for their god. A bit silly? Maybe, but why force it on people?

Edit: Just to provide proof.


In addition to the direction, permitted animals should be slaughtered upon utterance of the Islamic prayer 'Bismillah' "in the name of God".


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halal
Jockmcplop
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United Kingdom10006 Posts
May 10 2016 18:55 GMT
#1586
I don't want to sound pedantic but maybe you should just make your own sandwich. If you don't want to eat food which was prepared with a blessing, just don't. No-one's forcing you to go to Subway.

Did you know that making your own sandwich is:
a) Healthier
b) Tastier
c) Completely blessing free
d) A good way to build up a solid sandwich making skillset
and
e) A kick in the balls for those muslim lovers at Subway.
RIP Meatloaf <3
Shield
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Bulgaria4824 Posts
May 10 2016 18:57 GMT
#1587
On May 11 2016 03:55 Jockmcplop wrote:
I don't want to sound pedantic but maybe you should just make your own sandwich. If you don't want to eat food which was prepared with a blessing, just don't. No-one's forcing you to go to Subway.

Did you know that making your own sandwich is:
a) Healthier
b) Tastier
c) Completely blessing free
d) A good way to build up a solid sandwich making skillset
and
e) A kick in the balls for those muslim lovers at Subway.


I understand you're being sarcastic, but don't worry; I don't visit visit those Subway stores anymore. Yes, no one forces me. You may visit such Subway stores if you want.
Krikkitone
Profile Joined April 2009
United States1451 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-05-10 21:56:13
May 10 2016 21:53 GMT
#1588
On May 11 2016 03:57 Shield wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 11 2016 03:55 Jockmcplop wrote:
I don't want to sound pedantic but maybe you should just make your own sandwich. If you don't want to eat food which was prepared with a blessing, just don't. No-one's forcing you to go to Subway.

Did you know that making your own sandwich is:
a) Healthier
b) Tastier
c) Completely blessing free
d) A good way to build up a solid sandwich making skillset
and
e) A kick in the balls for those muslim lovers at Subway.


I understand you're being sarcastic, but don't worry; I don't visit visit those Subway stores anymore. Yes, no one forces me. You may visit such Subway stores if you want.


Well then the main issue is if non-halal options are present.

Unless those Subways no longer have ham / bacon on the menu then you can easily get a sandwich where there was no muslim blessing done on it. (since it seems it is only done on the meat, and no muslim will be blessing a pig slaughter).

Now if you want a non-halal chicken sandwich, then maybe you should ask for Subway to offer that.*

(Just like some people would prefer to buy GMO food, but the best they can do is avoid the 'nonGMO' labels)
*I doubt they would give it to you, but if enough people ask, then soon Subway may have a "halal AND non-halal chicken options available"..also they might tell you that only the chicken is halal but the beef is not.
Maverick_2009
Profile Joined December 2014
Somewhere2002 Posts
May 10 2016 22:06 GMT
#1589
On May 11 2016 06:53 Krikkitone wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 11 2016 03:57 Shield wrote:
On May 11 2016 03:55 Jockmcplop wrote:
I don't want to sound pedantic but maybe you should just make your own sandwich. If you don't want to eat food which was prepared with a blessing, just don't. No-one's forcing you to go to Subway.

Did you know that making your own sandwich is:
a) Healthier
b) Tastier
c) Completely blessing free
d) A good way to build up a solid sandwich making skillset
and
e) A kick in the balls for those muslim lovers at Subway.


I understand you're being sarcastic, but don't worry; I don't visit visit those Subway stores anymore. Yes, no one forces me. You may visit such Subway stores if you want.


Well then the main issue is if non-halal options are present.

Unless those Subways no longer have ham / bacon on the menu then you can easily get a sandwich where there was no muslim blessing done on it. (since it seems it is only done on the meat, and no muslim will be blessing a pig slaughter).

Now if you want a non-halal chicken sandwich, then maybe you should ask for Subway to offer that.*

(Just like some people would prefer to buy GMO food, but the best they can do is avoid the 'nonGMO' labels)
*I doubt they would give it to you, but if enough people ask, then soon Subway may have a "halal AND non-halal chicken options available"..also they might tell you that only the chicken is halal but the beef is not.

hi guys, i only recently started getting active on the site and i moved to glasgow about 10 months ago and i'll be here long term. (i have a slight belief that i shouldn't just barge into a discussion like this while remaining a stranger)

That said, I gotta be perfectly honest here, having moved from a predominantly Muslim country (not a Muslim myself), i dont see any reason for the fuss concerning halal and non-halal chicken if you're not a Muslim. It's merely a difference in the "slaughtering" process and the blessing doesn't really mean anything imo unless you're really religious and spiritual that kinda stuff. I frankly find it quite irrelevant whether the meat is halal or non-halal cos it's ultimately meat anyway and, imo, as far as Subway is concerned here, it's just profitable for them to do halal meat since there isn't really a difference in the final product (or the starting product for that matter)
https://www.twitch.tv/deso_739
Jockmcplop
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United Kingdom10006 Posts
May 10 2016 22:25 GMT
#1590
On May 11 2016 07:06 2009 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 11 2016 06:53 Krikkitone wrote:
On May 11 2016 03:57 Shield wrote:
On May 11 2016 03:55 Jockmcplop wrote:
I don't want to sound pedantic but maybe you should just make your own sandwich. If you don't want to eat food which was prepared with a blessing, just don't. No-one's forcing you to go to Subway.

Did you know that making your own sandwich is:
a) Healthier
b) Tastier
c) Completely blessing free
d) A good way to build up a solid sandwich making skillset
and
e) A kick in the balls for those muslim lovers at Subway.


I understand you're being sarcastic, but don't worry; I don't visit visit those Subway stores anymore. Yes, no one forces me. You may visit such Subway stores if you want.


Well then the main issue is if non-halal options are present.

Unless those Subways no longer have ham / bacon on the menu then you can easily get a sandwich where there was no muslim blessing done on it. (since it seems it is only done on the meat, and no muslim will be blessing a pig slaughter).

Now if you want a non-halal chicken sandwich, then maybe you should ask for Subway to offer that.*

(Just like some people would prefer to buy GMO food, but the best they can do is avoid the 'nonGMO' labels)
*I doubt they would give it to you, but if enough people ask, then soon Subway may have a "halal AND non-halal chicken options available"..also they might tell you that only the chicken is halal but the beef is not.

hi guys, i only recently started getting active on the site and i moved to glasgow about 10 months ago and i'll be here long term. (i have a slight belief that i shouldn't just barge into a discussion like this while remaining a stranger)

That said, I gotta be perfectly honest here, having moved from a predominantly Muslim country (not a Muslim myself), i dont see any reason for the fuss concerning halal and non-halal chicken if you're not a Muslim. It's merely a difference in the "slaughtering" process and the blessing doesn't really mean anything imo unless you're really religious and spiritual that kinda stuff. I frankly find it quite irrelevant whether the meat is halal or non-halal cos it's ultimately meat anyway and, imo, as far as Subway is concerned here, it's just profitable for them to do halal meat since there isn't really a difference in the final product (or the starting product for that matter)


Welcome to TL!
Halal isone of those things that people generally criticize because they have run out of genuine criticisms of muslims, or they somehow want to demonize normal non-extremist muslims.
Keep posting in this thread! When I started it I was told that no-one would be interested in UK politics.

RIP Meatloaf <3
Maverick_2009
Profile Joined December 2014
Somewhere2002 Posts
May 10 2016 22:43 GMT
#1591
On May 11 2016 07:25 Jockmcplop wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 11 2016 07:06 2009 wrote:
On May 11 2016 06:53 Krikkitone wrote:
On May 11 2016 03:57 Shield wrote:
On May 11 2016 03:55 Jockmcplop wrote:
I don't want to sound pedantic but maybe you should just make your own sandwich. If you don't want to eat food which was prepared with a blessing, just don't. No-one's forcing you to go to Subway.

Did you know that making your own sandwich is:
a) Healthier
b) Tastier
c) Completely blessing free
d) A good way to build up a solid sandwich making skillset
and
e) A kick in the balls for those muslim lovers at Subway.


I understand you're being sarcastic, but don't worry; I don't visit visit those Subway stores anymore. Yes, no one forces me. You may visit such Subway stores if you want.


Well then the main issue is if non-halal options are present.

Unless those Subways no longer have ham / bacon on the menu then you can easily get a sandwich where there was no muslim blessing done on it. (since it seems it is only done on the meat, and no muslim will be blessing a pig slaughter).

Now if you want a non-halal chicken sandwich, then maybe you should ask for Subway to offer that.*

(Just like some people would prefer to buy GMO food, but the best they can do is avoid the 'nonGMO' labels)
*I doubt they would give it to you, but if enough people ask, then soon Subway may have a "halal AND non-halal chicken options available"..also they might tell you that only the chicken is halal but the beef is not.

hi guys, i only recently started getting active on the site and i moved to glasgow about 10 months ago and i'll be here long term. (i have a slight belief that i shouldn't just barge into a discussion like this while remaining a stranger)

That said, I gotta be perfectly honest here, having moved from a predominantly Muslim country (not a Muslim myself), i dont see any reason for the fuss concerning halal and non-halal chicken if you're not a Muslim. It's merely a difference in the "slaughtering" process and the blessing doesn't really mean anything imo unless you're really religious and spiritual that kinda stuff. I frankly find it quite irrelevant whether the meat is halal or non-halal cos it's ultimately meat anyway and, imo, as far as Subway is concerned here, it's just profitable for them to do halal meat since there isn't really a difference in the final product (or the starting product for that matter)


Welcome to TL!
Halal isone of those things that people generally criticize because they have run out of genuine criticisms of muslims, or they somehow want to demonize normal non-extremist muslims.
Keep posting in this thread! When I started it I was told that no-one would be interested in UK politics.


well, tbh, i find UK politics quite like a playground compared to Malaysian politics (where i come from) since all the big parties have mostly similar policy manifestos anyway. That said though, I'm interested not really cos it's interesting (what a contradiction) but rather cos it affects how my life here will be
https://www.twitch.tv/deso_739
Shield
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Bulgaria4824 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-05-11 21:37:53
May 11 2016 21:26 GMT
#1592
On May 11 2016 07:25 Jockmcplop wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 11 2016 07:06 2009 wrote:
On May 11 2016 06:53 Krikkitone wrote:
On May 11 2016 03:57 Shield wrote:
On May 11 2016 03:55 Jockmcplop wrote:
I don't want to sound pedantic but maybe you should just make your own sandwich. If you don't want to eat food which was prepared with a blessing, just don't. No-one's forcing you to go to Subway.

Did you know that making your own sandwich is:
a) Healthier
b) Tastier
c) Completely blessing free
d) A good way to build up a solid sandwich making skillset
and
e) A kick in the balls for those muslim lovers at Subway.


I understand you're being sarcastic, but don't worry; I don't visit visit those Subway stores anymore. Yes, no one forces me. You may visit such Subway stores if you want.


Well then the main issue is if non-halal options are present.

Unless those Subways no longer have ham / bacon on the menu then you can easily get a sandwich where there was no muslim blessing done on it. (since it seems it is only done on the meat, and no muslim will be blessing a pig slaughter).

Now if you want a non-halal chicken sandwich, then maybe you should ask for Subway to offer that.*

(Just like some people would prefer to buy GMO food, but the best they can do is avoid the 'nonGMO' labels)
*I doubt they would give it to you, but if enough people ask, then soon Subway may have a "halal AND non-halal chicken options available"..also they might tell you that only the chicken is halal but the beef is not.

hi guys, i only recently started getting active on the site and i moved to glasgow about 10 months ago and i'll be here long term. (i have a slight belief that i shouldn't just barge into a discussion like this while remaining a stranger)

That said, I gotta be perfectly honest here, having moved from a predominantly Muslim country (not a Muslim myself), i dont see any reason for the fuss concerning halal and non-halal chicken if you're not a Muslim. It's merely a difference in the "slaughtering" process and the blessing doesn't really mean anything imo unless you're really religious and spiritual that kinda stuff. I frankly find it quite irrelevant whether the meat is halal or non-halal cos it's ultimately meat anyway and, imo, as far as Subway is concerned here, it's just profitable for them to do halal meat since there isn't really a difference in the final product (or the starting product for that matter)


Welcome to TL!
Halal isone of those things that people generally criticize because they have run out of genuine criticisms of muslims, or they somehow want to demonize normal non-extremist muslims.
Keep posting in this thread! When I started it I was told that no-one would be interested in UK politics.



Halal is a topic that is discussed when people run out of genuine criticism? Excuse me, I've listed quite a few topics and it's not just halal food. Please don't misinterpret. Also, which political wing do you support? Left wing?
Maverick_2009
Profile Joined December 2014
Somewhere2002 Posts
May 11 2016 23:44 GMT
#1593
On May 12 2016 06:26 Shield wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 11 2016 07:25 Jockmcplop wrote:
On May 11 2016 07:06 2009 wrote:
On May 11 2016 06:53 Krikkitone wrote:
On May 11 2016 03:57 Shield wrote:
On May 11 2016 03:55 Jockmcplop wrote:
I don't want to sound pedantic but maybe you should just make your own sandwich. If you don't want to eat food which was prepared with a blessing, just don't. No-one's forcing you to go to Subway.

Did you know that making your own sandwich is:
a) Healthier
b) Tastier
c) Completely blessing free
d) A good way to build up a solid sandwich making skillset
and
e) A kick in the balls for those muslim lovers at Subway.


I understand you're being sarcastic, but don't worry; I don't visit visit those Subway stores anymore. Yes, no one forces me. You may visit such Subway stores if you want.


Well then the main issue is if non-halal options are present.

Unless those Subways no longer have ham / bacon on the menu then you can easily get a sandwich where there was no muslim blessing done on it. (since it seems it is only done on the meat, and no muslim will be blessing a pig slaughter).

Now if you want a non-halal chicken sandwich, then maybe you should ask for Subway to offer that.*

(Just like some people would prefer to buy GMO food, but the best they can do is avoid the 'nonGMO' labels)
*I doubt they would give it to you, but if enough people ask, then soon Subway may have a "halal AND non-halal chicken options available"..also they might tell you that only the chicken is halal but the beef is not.

hi guys, i only recently started getting active on the site and i moved to glasgow about 10 months ago and i'll be here long term. (i have a slight belief that i shouldn't just barge into a discussion like this while remaining a stranger)

That said, I gotta be perfectly honest here, having moved from a predominantly Muslim country (not a Muslim myself), i dont see any reason for the fuss concerning halal and non-halal chicken if you're not a Muslim. It's merely a difference in the "slaughtering" process and the blessing doesn't really mean anything imo unless you're really religious and spiritual that kinda stuff. I frankly find it quite irrelevant whether the meat is halal or non-halal cos it's ultimately meat anyway and, imo, as far as Subway is concerned here, it's just profitable for them to do halal meat since there isn't really a difference in the final product (or the starting product for that matter)


Welcome to TL!
Halal isone of those things that people generally criticize because they have run out of genuine criticisms of muslims, or they somehow want to demonize normal non-extremist muslims.
Keep posting in this thread! When I started it I was told that no-one would be interested in UK politics.



Halal is a topic that is discussed when people run out of genuine criticism? Excuse me, I've listed quite a few topics and it's not just halal food. Please don't misinterpret. Also, which political wing do you support? Left wing?

I'm mostly centre-left if you're asking me and I find support based on the spectrum quite redundant in UK since all the major parties have mostly similar manifestos other than the traditional divisions imo. As for the other topics, I think burqas are fine and should be left alone since it's really just another religious faith thing and modern society is obsessed with rights albeit contradicting that all the time whereas I personally don't know much about mosques around UK and the quantity but I would personally be against loads of mosques in a single area of the UK unless the community is mostly Muslim cos it does somewhat remove the British identity of a particular area.
https://www.twitch.tv/deso_739
Dangermousecatdog
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom7084 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-05-12 19:48:17
May 12 2016 19:44 GMT
#1594
Are you actually talking about an issue in UK? I've never even heard of anyone being against the building of a mosque. There are issues with native Muslim populations which are poorly integrated but mosque building isn't it. For the most part people tend to be denied planning permision to build anything in the countryside including on-site living facilities on a farm!
Shield
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Bulgaria4824 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-05-12 20:31:32
May 12 2016 20:30 GMT
#1595
On May 13 2016 04:44 Dangermousecatdog wrote:
Are you actually talking about an issue in UK? I've never even heard of anyone being against the building of a mosque. There are issues with native Muslim populations which are poorly integrated but mosque building isn't it. For the most part people tend to be denied planning permision to build anything in the countryside including on-site living facilities on a farm!


Well, yes. Vote to leave EU and invite more muslims! I can't see anything wrong with that. After all, your next prime minister will be called Mahmoud Hussain or something in 50 years.
kollin
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United Kingdom8380 Posts
May 12 2016 20:36 GMT
#1596
On May 13 2016 05:30 Shield wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 13 2016 04:44 Dangermousecatdog wrote:
Are you actually talking about an issue in UK? I've never even heard of anyone being against the building of a mosque. There are issues with native Muslim populations which are poorly integrated but mosque building isn't it. For the most part people tend to be denied planning permision to build anything in the countryside including on-site living facilities on a farm!


Well, yes. Vote to leave EU and invite more muslims! I can't see anything wrong with that. After all, your next prime minister will be called Mahmoud Hussain or something in 50 years.

My friend I don't like to cast judgement but you're somewhat intolerant...
Maverick_2009
Profile Joined December 2014
Somewhere2002 Posts
May 12 2016 20:47 GMT
#1597
On May 13 2016 04:44 Dangermousecatdog wrote:
Are you actually talking about an issue in UK? I've never even heard of anyone being against the building of a mosque. There are issues with native Muslim populations which are poorly integrated but mosque building isn't it. For the most part people tend to be denied planning permision to build anything in the countryside including on-site living facilities on a farm!

Like I said, imo it's more about the quantity in a confined area, it wouldn't feel very much like Britain if within let's just say within a 49 square mile area there are like 14 mosques. I'm quite okay with mosques in general. After all, we advocate freedom to practise our respective religions. Then again, also like I said, I don't know very much about mosques in Britain so you could say that I'm jumping to conclusions and being severely judgmental and I accept that. The only mosque I've been to so far is a pretty small one that doesn't really look like a mosque from the outside. I come from a predominantly Muslim country where mosques are big buildings that really stand out so yeah, I sincerely acknowledge that I don't know too much and I'm probably just making a thoughtless and arguably insensitive remark.
https://www.twitch.tv/deso_739
Shield
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Bulgaria4824 Posts
May 12 2016 20:51 GMT
#1598
On May 13 2016 05:36 kollin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 13 2016 05:30 Shield wrote:
On May 13 2016 04:44 Dangermousecatdog wrote:
Are you actually talking about an issue in UK? I've never even heard of anyone being against the building of a mosque. There are issues with native Muslim populations which are poorly integrated but mosque building isn't it. For the most part people tend to be denied planning permision to build anything in the countryside including on-site living facilities on a farm!


Well, yes. Vote to leave EU and invite more muslims! I can't see anything wrong with that. After all, your next prime minister will be called Mahmoud Hussain or something in 50 years.

My friend I don't like to cast judgement but you're somewhat intolerant...


So, convince me to be tolerant. So far, I haven't seen a single reason to support religious muslims. I don't mean secular muslims like Sadiq Khan or whatever.
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44361 Posts
May 12 2016 21:18 GMT
#1599
On May 13 2016 05:51 Shield wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 13 2016 05:36 kollin wrote:
On May 13 2016 05:30 Shield wrote:
On May 13 2016 04:44 Dangermousecatdog wrote:
Are you actually talking about an issue in UK? I've never even heard of anyone being against the building of a mosque. There are issues with native Muslim populations which are poorly integrated but mosque building isn't it. For the most part people tend to be denied planning permision to build anything in the countryside including on-site living facilities on a farm!


Well, yes. Vote to leave EU and invite more muslims! I can't see anything wrong with that. After all, your next prime minister will be called Mahmoud Hussain or something in 50 years.

My friend I don't like to cast judgement but you're somewhat intolerant...


So, convince me to be tolerant. So far, I haven't seen a single reason to support religious muslims. I don't mean secular muslims like Sadiq Khan or whatever.

You don't need to support them. That's not what tolerance is. Tolerance is what you do when a family brings a crying baby on a transatlantic flight. You accept that as much as it annoys you there's nothing you can do about it without being a total asshole.

I tolerate religious Muslims who don't in any way infringe upon the rights of others in a secular liberal society. Not support, tolerate. Because that's how it has to be if you in turn want tolerance from others. Everyone has some people that piss them off.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Shield
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Bulgaria4824 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-05-12 21:43:59
May 12 2016 21:37 GMT
#1600
On May 13 2016 06:18 KwarK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 13 2016 05:51 Shield wrote:
On May 13 2016 05:36 kollin wrote:
On May 13 2016 05:30 Shield wrote:
On May 13 2016 04:44 Dangermousecatdog wrote:
Are you actually talking about an issue in UK? I've never even heard of anyone being against the building of a mosque. There are issues with native Muslim populations which are poorly integrated but mosque building isn't it. For the most part people tend to be denied planning permision to build anything in the countryside including on-site living facilities on a farm!


Well, yes. Vote to leave EU and invite more muslims! I can't see anything wrong with that. After all, your next prime minister will be called Mahmoud Hussain or something in 50 years.

My friend I don't like to cast judgement but you're somewhat intolerant...


So, convince me to be tolerant. So far, I haven't seen a single reason to support religious muslims. I don't mean secular muslims like Sadiq Khan or whatever.

You don't need to support them. That's not what tolerance is. Tolerance is what you do when a family brings a crying baby on a transatlantic flight. You accept that as much as it annoys you there's nothing you can do about it without being a total asshole.

I tolerate religious Muslims who don't in any way infringe upon the rights of others in a secular liberal society. Not support, tolerate. Because that's how it has to be if you in turn want tolerance from others. Everyone has some people that piss them off.


Exactly, and that's why I don't and can't tolerate people who force their women to wear burqa. Surely you know what the purpose of burqa is. If not, google should be enough. If such people can't treat their women right, why should I tolerate them as well?

On May 12 2016 08:44 2009 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 12 2016 06:26 Shield wrote:
On May 11 2016 07:25 Jockmcplop wrote:
On May 11 2016 07:06 2009 wrote:
On May 11 2016 06:53 Krikkitone wrote:
On May 11 2016 03:57 Shield wrote:
On May 11 2016 03:55 Jockmcplop wrote:
I don't want to sound pedantic but maybe you should just make your own sandwich. If you don't want to eat food which was prepared with a blessing, just don't. No-one's forcing you to go to Subway.

Did you know that making your own sandwich is:
a) Healthier
b) Tastier
c) Completely blessing free
d) A good way to build up a solid sandwich making skillset
and
e) A kick in the balls for those muslim lovers at Subway.


I understand you're being sarcastic, but don't worry; I don't visit visit those Subway stores anymore. Yes, no one forces me. You may visit such Subway stores if you want.


Well then the main issue is if non-halal options are present.

Unless those Subways no longer have ham / bacon on the menu then you can easily get a sandwich where there was no muslim blessing done on it. (since it seems it is only done on the meat, and no muslim will be blessing a pig slaughter).

Now if you want a non-halal chicken sandwich, then maybe you should ask for Subway to offer that.*

(Just like some people would prefer to buy GMO food, but the best they can do is avoid the 'nonGMO' labels)
*I doubt they would give it to you, but if enough people ask, then soon Subway may have a "halal AND non-halal chicken options available"..also they might tell you that only the chicken is halal but the beef is not.

hi guys, i only recently started getting active on the site and i moved to glasgow about 10 months ago and i'll be here long term. (i have a slight belief that i shouldn't just barge into a discussion like this while remaining a stranger)

That said, I gotta be perfectly honest here, having moved from a predominantly Muslim country (not a Muslim myself), i dont see any reason for the fuss concerning halal and non-halal chicken if you're not a Muslim. It's merely a difference in the "slaughtering" process and the blessing doesn't really mean anything imo unless you're really religious and spiritual that kinda stuff. I frankly find it quite irrelevant whether the meat is halal or non-halal cos it's ultimately meat anyway and, imo, as far as Subway is concerned here, it's just profitable for them to do halal meat since there isn't really a difference in the final product (or the starting product for that matter)


Welcome to TL!
Halal isone of those things that people generally criticize because they have run out of genuine criticisms of muslims, or they somehow want to demonize normal non-extremist muslims.
Keep posting in this thread! When I started it I was told that no-one would be interested in UK politics.



Halal is a topic that is discussed when people run out of genuine criticism? Excuse me, I've listed quite a few topics and it's not just halal food. Please don't misinterpret. Also, which political wing do you support? Left wing?

I'm mostly centre-left if you're asking me and I find support based on the spectrum quite redundant in UK since all the major parties have mostly similar manifestos other than the traditional divisions imo. As for the other topics, I think burqas are fine and should be left alone since it's really just another religious faith thing and modern society is obsessed with rights albeit contradicting that all the time whereas I personally don't know much about mosques around UK and the quantity but I would personally be against loads of mosques in a single area of the UK unless the community is mostly Muslim cos it does somewhat remove the British identity of a particular area.


You kind of contradict yourself. You say burqas are fine, but multiple mosques in a tight area aren't fine. Well, guess what. There are more women with burqa within an area than mosques. Just go out and see for yourself. Then, you talk how you don't want to get rid of British identity. I don't understand how all of this fits together. If anything, you should be doing the opposite, that is, to teach those people to act like British (or European).
Prev 1 78 79 80 81 82 648 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 3m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech148
SpeCial 85
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 99
MaD[AoV]27
910 21
Bale 14
League of Legends
JimRising 426
Counter-Strike
fl0m3943
Fnx 590
minikerr9
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox425
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4596
Liquid`Hasu578
Other Games
summit1g6178
FrodaN569
C9.Mang0221
PPMD88
JuggernautJason33
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV251
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream19
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21461
Other Games
• Shiphtur805
• imaqtpie745
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
2h 3m
Patches Events
18h 3m
The PondCast
1d 12h
INu's Battles
1d 13h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.