• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:20
CEST 10:20
KST 17:20
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)31Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9003 users

Why most interest in E-sports from non-players? - Page 2

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 Next All
Zocat
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany2229 Posts
March 19 2011 23:01 GMT
#21
On March 20 2011 07:28 Zaphid wrote:
Majority of people who watch football would have trouble sprinting across the whole field, simple really.


I like football. But I only kick with some friends maybe once every 2-3 months. But I'd say I watch at least 2 games a week (when CL/EL is up more). I meet with my friends, we drink beer & have fun. Or we chat on Teamspeak / IRC while the games are happening.

It's similiar for SC2. When I play I play with friends (XvX (with X > 1)) or we play 1on1s against each other and the other guys watch while badmannering our bad playstyle on TS (or joke about race imbalance "Z OP" "T OP" "P OP"). But we also watch some stuff together (GSL finals, 1st round of TSL, ...).
(Our group is made up from Bronze - Diamond guys).

Watching stuff together, while drinking & joking around is more fun for us, compared to each one playing alone.

On a more personal note - I'm feel that I get older (25+). It's just more exhausting to play than to watch (I need to take a break after 1hour of playing 1on1s). I kinda miss those days when I could play 8hours straight without taking a break
Froob
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom342 Posts
March 19 2011 23:02 GMT
#22
is more fun to watch a stream of sc2 then actually learn how to play the game from a beginners perspective

why?

because it's more entertaining in accordance to time spent.
イア
Kelethius
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada187 Posts
March 19 2011 23:05 GMT
#23
Also, I wasnt trying to target this thread at people who watch sc2 occasionally on a stream or VODs on their computers, but more-so about the people who go out of their way to go to physical sc2 events and whatnot, and the people who are walking around talking about wanting to spread esports and their love of esports, who im assuming arent the people who casually play the game and watch the latest big tournament or catch someones stream when they have some free time
monitor
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2409 Posts
March 19 2011 23:09 GMT
#24
On March 20 2011 07:34 Kelethius wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 20 2011 07:30 VarpuliS wrote:
On March 20 2011 07:28 Zaphid wrote:
Majority of people who watch football would have trouble sprinting across the whole field, simple really.



^^ this


Thats makes equally little sense to me


How good you are at something =/= how much you like it.

Somebody could play a lot and not be very good, and still be in bronze. Somebody could play VERY little and be in diamond. The bronze player could love the game more than the diamond player. My only point is that you can be in a low league and still love the game.
https://liquipedia.net/starcraft2/Monitor
tattoos and creep
Profile Joined February 2011
France15 Posts
March 19 2011 23:15 GMT
#25
my question is how he could possibly enjoy the game. People here are saying how easy it is to watch sc2 and understand whats going on, when realistically its like complete opposite. What is actually going on in the minds of those players is incredibly difficult to understand. How can you appreciate and find that entertaining when its something completely unknown to someone whose never even played a single game of sc2.


Well my friend did play a few RTSes before, work/girlfriend/babies keeps him away from playing videogames a lot, or even a few sadly... I think sc2 lures many watchers is due to the fact that it is (supposed to be?) a well balanced game (and i'll go further saying "RTS") and we have to be honest sc2 have often awesome commentators

You know, sc2 and BW before are cool games, people like to watch it, play it, abuse it! because it's so good! We all need to have those kinda things i think, like football or rugby, strippers, rodeo riders being roflstomped by angry cows... also, girls korean bands singing before an unbalanced game, no i mean... you dont want to be trampled by a cow of course, but admit its fun to watch someone actually enjoying it. Okay guys im stoned im starting to speak non sense.

My point is, watching is easier than actually doing. But its still fun.
Terran ost is OP
TheBanana
Profile Joined December 2010
Norway2183 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-19 23:32:02
March 19 2011 23:28 GMT
#26
I barely play Starcraft 2, it might go months from one game to the next.

But I LOVE following Starcraft 2 as a sport. As I do with Football, American Football, Hockey, Cycling, almost every winter sport, Tennis, Track & Field etc etc

I play these sports in the same fashion I do Starcraft, casually. It might go months, years between. I still LOVE them.
I need to follow sports as much as I need to breathe.

Problem is a little something called time, I can't juggle all of my passions plus work, sleep and everything else going on in life.
If I had infinite time I would be awesome at everything I love, but I don't and that's the reason I don't play.

Edit: And yeah, I am one of those guys going around talking about wanting to spread esports.
If you're not getting better faster than everybody else, you're getting worse.
hmunkey
Profile Joined August 2010
United Kingdom1973 Posts
March 19 2011 23:34 GMT
#27
[citation needed]

The entire OP is based on an unproven, purely anecdotal premise.
Slago
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada726 Posts
March 19 2011 23:40 GMT
#28
I think it's alot like a real sport, alot of people love to watch hockey or whatever sport and have never played it in anyway or very little, as for me I play tons of different sports and don't really enjoy watching them unless its at a buddies house with some drinks. Otherwise even though I played hockey for years I never enjoyed watching it, the only sport I do really enjoy watching is lacrosse and that isn't on often at all. So SC2 seems to have a similiar thing where it is a very interesting thing to observe and see what will happen next, and even feel strongly for one team I.E. an actual team like OGS or just a race you route for like Zerg or even a player you really feel strongly about like Mc, or July. It is really the same as an actual sport in how people watch the game, alot watch not as many play
I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum and I'm all out of... ah forget it
TedJustice
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Canada1324 Posts
March 19 2011 23:43 GMT
#29
Doesn't take an artist to appreciate a beautiful painting.
Hypemeup
Profile Joined February 2011
Sweden2783 Posts
March 19 2011 23:43 GMT
#30
At least my friends who dont own the game but still watch streams/VODs tell me they are just hyped up over Esports in general and SC2 is the biggest boy on the block right now. They also follow the ETF2L(European Team fortress 2 Leauge) without playing the game, simply because its easy to get hyped up crisp play.
Doomblaze
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States1292 Posts
March 19 2011 23:45 GMT
#31
On March 20 2011 08:34 hmunkey wrote:
[citation needed]

The entire OP is based on an unproven, purely anecdotal premise.


NO citation needed, thats totally true

Look at Husky and HD, do you think that their incredible amount of subscribers all play SC2? Let alone at a high level? Frankly, i never liked them very much because im more hardcore and i want to improve, which is the same mindset as a majority of people here. It entertains them, simply.

I dont watch regular sports because they dont entertain me, but i watched sc2 before i ever played the game (and i never played BW), and i enjoyed it. You have to remove your bias and accept that people dont need to play it to like it.
In Mushi we trust
Chise
Profile Joined December 2010
Japan507 Posts
March 19 2011 23:46 GMT
#32
A friend of mine never played Starcraft 2 (he is into gaming in general though) but he watches the game a lot (GSL and such).
I played the game for a while, but I barely played for the last two months or so. Basically, I don't play anymore, but I still watch the game, because it's entertaining.
Also, the friend I mentioned has quite some knowledge about the game just from watching. He can understand quite a lot of what's going on without ever having played the game.

I don't really see why it's hard to understand that people who don't play the game (or don't play much) like watching it. It's entertaining, so people watch it. It's as simple as that.
Usagi
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Spain1647 Posts
March 19 2011 23:48 GMT
#33
Football stadiums dont fill up with athletes you know...
Frankly, after reading all the OP messages I dont think it is possible to make him understand it, looks like he is above the average understanding level to the point of neglecting valid reasons. I have a friend like that, Imposible to reason.
AndyBear
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada132 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-19 23:52:28
March 19 2011 23:50 GMT
#34
As long as you understand how the game works, you can REALLY enjoy watching it. My friend is the perfect example. He has played Halo, and Starcraft a couple times, never really getting into Starcraft. Yet he a Fanboy 101 when it comes to watching MLG Halo or GSL Starcraft tournaments. He has his favourite moments, fav. teams, and fav. players. He follows it all religiously.

It's just plain entertaining to watch the best of the best play, seeing insane micro/macro at work is really enjoyable . Some BM lulz is always fun too.
KristianJS
Profile Joined October 2009
2107 Posts
March 19 2011 23:52 GMT
#35
Most people don't play the sports they watch, even casually. Why should it be different for sc2?
You need to be 100% behind someone before you can stab them in the back
Clare
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States372 Posts
March 19 2011 23:52 GMT
#36
I only play around 1 game a week but I watch hours upon hours of streams and games. Just today + yesterday I watched the FXOpen qualifier, GSL championship, TSL3, justin.tv invitational and some other streams. I'm only in silver league and playing the game just isn't as fun as watching it for me. When I'm playing I don't get a rush like I do watching when two players are multitasking and microing and macroing all at the same time. I get supply blocked, end up with a trust fund and forget to build units a lot and it's not fun to have to play a ton in order to get better.
The dashboard melted but we still had the radio.
Synk
Profile Joined April 2010
United States297 Posts
March 19 2011 23:54 GMT
#37
If you look at Bronze and Silver league players a lot of them actually have pretty surprising amounts of games played actually. I think its just a different mind set, some people play to get better always ( I am this way ). Some people can have fun just kind of messing around and aren't bothered as much at being semi-stagnant I guess. I personally just can't have fun if I don't feel like I'm always improving and aiming for the top. I've seen plenty of low ranked players though whenever I enter custom games who have over 1000 or even 2000 1v1 ladder games played and their sitting in Gold league or even lower while there are many people in my Masters division with under 500 1v1 ladder games played ( myself included ).

Anyways my point is, don't discount someones time investment solely on their league, some people just aren't really concerned much with becoming high level players.
Don't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Kelethius
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada187 Posts
March 19 2011 23:55 GMT
#38
I dont know if you can compare a group of people who have never played sc2 finding a stream/vod entertaining to a group of people who have never played sc2 going to blizzcon or random sc2 lans
RedJustice
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States1004 Posts
March 19 2011 23:57 GMT
#39
There's a lot to love about sc2 without playing it really heavily. As earlier posts pointed out, plenty of people around the world are not very coordinated/particularly physically fit/have any innate skill at a sport, yet they may follow a team enthusiastically, buy tickets to watch games for thousands of dollars in person, spend hours on their fantasy teams, and enthusiastically post discussion and debate about games.

Anything that invites people to come together to have fun viewing (not just playing) and participating in a community has a great possibility of attracting many followers who 'love' the game, but aren't very good at themselves. Not everyone can be masters/diamond. Anyone who takes the time to watch some commentary can pick up the idea of how the game works without becoming a pro at it. The commentators have a good understanding of the game and can explain to people all the subtle things you claim someone who doesn't play can never fully appreciate. That is fully enough to watch something like the TSL and be blown away by the excitement and epicness of the games. You can spend lots of time watching something like that, playing some casual team games, and interacting with people in streams and chats.

For many people, 1v1 ladder is kind of scary and daunting to start out on. They are having fun where they're at, and see no reason to go into all the hard work of being the diamond/master level player you suggest people who love the game will end up being. It would be great if everyone played, but there's not one narrow way to enjoy the game of sc2, and that's part of what's so wonderful about it.
Centorian
Profile Joined March 2010
United States95 Posts
March 19 2011 23:58 GMT
#40
i'm sorry but the OP stinks of elitist crap. I'm a HUGE fan of e-sports. Why do I have to be awesome at SC to enjoy it. Just because I can not technically manage all of those things you spoke of: Drone timing, micro, etc. doesn't mean I can't understand them when they are being done. Also its an entirely false statement that everyone with half a brain can reach masters. Masters is 2% of the population. 2% can never be 40% much less 90%. Your posts show that maybe you can play SC well but you seem to lack the ability to reason. Makes me question your age.

-Cent
Insert witty statement here.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 41m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech16
StarCraft: Brood War
BeSt 247
Hyuk 146
910 74
Mong 70
Leta 52
Shinee 49
PianO 40
soO 39
Killer 36
Mind 35
[ Show more ]
Bale 30
Aegong 23
ToSsGirL 18
ZergMaN 15
HiyA 15
sorry 15
League of Legends
JimRising 454
Counter-Strike
ceh9526
shoxiejesuss414
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King181
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1590
Other Games
summit1g8836
olofmeister1098
Happy288
crisheroes216
Sick176
Livibee103
ArmadaUGS88
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick554
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream270
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH158
• LUISG 10
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2289
League of Legends
• Rush1646
• Jankos1139
• Stunt527
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
1h 41m
OSC
4h 41m
Stellar Fest
4h 41m
OSC
15h 41m
Stellar Fest
1d 4h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.