• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:39
CEST 00:39
KST 07:39
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)61Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8587 users

Why most interest in E-sports from non-players? - Page 8

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 Next All
Lysenko
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Iceland2128 Posts
March 21 2011 00:08 GMT
#141
On March 21 2011 01:18 Raii wrote:
Just a question, how does age have anything to do with the discussion?


I think he most likely meant to say "maturity."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysenkoism
Martius
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada6 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-21 00:27:53
March 21 2011 00:27 GMT
#142
I guess that Starcraft and other e-sports are just evolving into the roles that other sports normally take: having training as children (kids playing), the best of the good people going into playing it profesionally, and there still being a small following of the sport within the adult community. As gaming is more accepted into the world as a pastime, so will e-sports as actual sports.
GLHF (go lose. have fun.)
solistus
Profile Joined April 2010
United States172 Posts
March 21 2011 00:29 GMT
#143
On March 20 2011 07:34 Kelethius wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 20 2011 07:30 VarpuliS wrote:
On March 20 2011 07:28 Zaphid wrote:
Majority of people who watch football would have trouble sprinting across the whole field, simple really.



^^ this


Thats makes equally little sense to me


If you don't understand the appeal of spectator sports or following professional competitions in any context, I don't think any of us will be able to explain it to you in the context of SC2. Most people greatly enjoy following their favorite country/team/player/etc. through a rigorous competition, and this has nothing to do with wanting to compete at the highest level in that activity themselves.
Units don't counter units. Strategies counter strategies.
Zechs
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United Kingdom321 Posts
March 21 2011 00:30 GMT
#144
I'm honestly not sure about this topic at all, you're making an awful lot of baseless assumptions to begin with. Unless you meant to say 'non-pro/serious-players, i would argue (admittedly equally baselessly) that most people watching SC2 games/vods/replays ARE SC2 players. Having been involved in esports since 2003 (yeah, it started before SC2, get over it already) it's my experience that the vast majority of esports fans are also esports players at some level. WoW is the perfect example of this, as has already been stated.

On another topic: "When was the last time they changed the shape of the ball in football? Or changed the maximum number of players on the field?"

How about when they changed the numbers of subs on the bench a couple seasons ago? How about when they alter the interpretation of the offside rule every few years (interfering with play, legal goalscoring body part etc etc)? How about when they introduced the backpass rule? This is a terrible argument.
Esports and stuff: zechleton.tumblr.com
Gigadrill
Profile Joined January 2011
Australia52 Posts
March 21 2011 06:02 GMT
#145
On March 20 2011 07:34 Kelethius wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 20 2011 07:30 VarpuliS wrote:
On March 20 2011 07:28 Zaphid wrote:
Majority of people who watch football would have trouble sprinting across the whole field, simple really.



^^ this


Thats makes equally little sense to me

By your logic all MMA fans must actually practice MMA.
Spiro
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom17 Posts
March 21 2011 16:11 GMT
#146
Before I played SC2 I never thought I'd be interested at all in watching a game, but now I enjoy watching games almost as much as playing.

I was drawn in when an in-game friend brought up the fact he watced the GSL. I was curious and watched a bit myself and found it entertaining. What I would say is that for me 70% of what makes it interesting is the commentating.

Artosis and Tasteless make the games exciting to watch and they can be funny. They also talk a lot about all the players and help veiwers connect with them. Which over a bit of time helps viewers single out favourite players to follow.

Also the casters knowlegde of the game covers over the gaps in my own skill and understanding of the games. They will pick up on little details that you might miss and explain why it's clever (this negates the point having to play the game much to understand even the complex high-skill moments).

I will also switch off casts if the caster is dull, annoying, unprofessional or hard to understand.

I've had the game since launch and but only get chance to play every now then so in total I have 100 or so 1v1s, 200 or so team games and sitting around gold/plat level.
briandawkins
Profile Joined October 2010
United States19 Posts
March 21 2011 17:16 GMT
#147
Lol at the resentment and defensiveness in this thread.

After I watch pro tennis, I want to play tennis. After I watch the World Cup/Premier, I want to play soccer. I don't really like basketball, but after I watch NBA, I want to play basketball. MLB and NFL take a lot of infrastructure and players to play, and it's not all that much fun to have a catch. But tennis, soccer, and basketball are all decently approximated by a few amateurs with makeshift or cheap equipment. All the NBA fans I know, the guys who'll sit down to watch whatever game is on, love to play ball and do it as much as they can.

As for the non-sports examples: yes, I don't understand how someone who loves music wouldn't play a lot of music. My friends who really love are always doodling or working on some project.

So I share the OP's confusion. I don't understand how someone could really watch 2 or 3 hours of a stream without wanting to get on BNET. And it's so much easier to play "pickup" than any sport, especially if you already have the ability to watch streams!

I've gone through periods where other commitments divert my energy from SC2 or music or other hobbies. When time and energy are tight, I might watch a replay or a GSL series or something instead of squeezing in a game. But aside from that, all the excuses in this thread are pretty weird.

And lol at all the posters who just focused on OP's claim that anyone who loved the game could be diamond.
SixTwo
Profile Joined May 2010
Netherlands68 Posts
March 21 2011 18:09 GMT
#148
On March 22 2011 02:16 briandawkins wrote:
... all the excuses in this thread are pretty weird....


I don't think they're excuses, they're explanations to the OP. Myself I hardly play sc2, finished the campaign and played after, got placed in gold and then stopped, I play other games but watch sc2 streams every day at least a few hours. I do the same thing with Snooker, doesn't mean I'm any good at Snooker or Football, but I enjoy watching it.

Just like the OP can't understand why it's enjoyable to watch a sport you're not actively doing, I could also ask the same question, does that mean that if you are not good or don't practice a sport that means you shouldn't watch it as a spectator ?
Eknoid4
Profile Joined October 2010
United States902 Posts
March 21 2011 18:18 GMT
#149
starcraft takes soooo much work and dedication to be any good at compared to literally any other video game

How many people watch football/soccer/baseball etc. but literally havent played since they were in school?

it's that much work except it isn't physically strenuous, but i am just talking about time you have to dedicate to it
If you're mad that someone else is brazenly trumpeting their beliefs with ignorance, perhaps you should be mad that you are doing it too.
Staklet
Profile Joined January 2011
Sweden44 Posts
March 21 2011 18:21 GMT
#150
I think that's what makes StarCraft to such an easy to like game. Even though you're not even close to master the game, you can still really enjoy it. When it comes to myself I played just a couple of StarCraft: BW games, and none at all i StarCraft 2, but still, I love the whole community around the game.

The myth about it's greatness in Korea, the legendary players, the uprising interest among players in general, the big tournaments! What is it not to like, even if you don't play yourself? I spend whole days just thinking about StarCraft, even though I suck big time. ^^
No Surprises.
Stanlot
Profile Joined December 2010
United States5742 Posts
March 21 2011 18:24 GMT
#151
In short, Starcraft has grown to be something of a spectator sport. As for myself, I love playing games but watching someone do a better job than me at it is just as entertaining. I play very minimally (only 15 1v1 games under my belt because I haven't the time to dedicate a reasonable amount of time to improving myself yet) but I understand enough of the game to appreciate and enjoy the subtle nuances that make pro level games what they are compared to a regular, run-of-the-mill match. If I can't play at that level, why not enjoy watching others do so? It's just like watching any other sport; not everyone can play basketball or baseball at a professional level but it's a treat to watch someone else play who can transcend average or ordinary skill level.
MC: "Sentry Forcefield Forcefield Marauder... cage Marauder die die"
TrainFX
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States469 Posts
March 21 2011 18:26 GMT
#152
Hmmm, I'm one of these people and I can say I love the game but I get bored playing and even though I feel great when I win I don't have that passion where I enjoy every moment of the game.
mDuo13
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States307 Posts
March 21 2011 18:29 GMT
#153
It takes a lot less time, commitment, and level-headedness to watch lots of Starcraft 2 than it does to get to at least diamond. I can follow the GSL by running it in the background on my second monitor at work. I can't do that with playing. =P

I suspect that most people who are watching ESPORTS are, like me, people who play a little bit but don't have the mechanics, multitasking, or dedication to actually get good at the game currently.
Eknoid4
Profile Joined October 2010
United States902 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-21 18:33:46
March 21 2011 18:33 GMT
#154
There are thousands of games to be played for new players before you even approach your immediate potential (as opposed to long term potential)

and there is so much depth that only experience can help you understand. You totally look at the game through different eyes when you're new, and it makes it sooo much harder feel like you can possibly get good enough to enjoy it.
If you're mad that someone else is brazenly trumpeting their beliefs with ignorance, perhaps you should be mad that you are doing it too.
briandawkins
Profile Joined October 2010
United States19 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-21 18:43:45
March 21 2011 18:42 GMT
#155
does that mean that if you are not good or don't practice a sport that means you shouldn't watch it as a spectator ?

I didn't say anything about being good. I'm a shitty athlete, a mediocre musician, and a plat level SC2 player.
Edit: I also didn't say anything about what people "should" do.
I can say I love the game but I get bored playing

Do you really think you love the game? I mean, I like watching baseball, I get bored playing it. I would never say that I love it. And I know we're just throwing around words on the internet, but the point of the thread is to understand and distinguish levels of appreciation.
Hostile
Profile Joined September 2010
United States49 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-21 18:52:55
March 21 2011 18:46 GMT
#156
I haven't jumped into the multiplayer and I doubt I ever will but I've been watching a lot of SC2 in recent months. Especially the GSL and now the TSL. I do have prior experience playing years of SC/SC:BW so the game isn't alien to me and I was pretty good in the circle I ran with. I also completed the single-player and play a couple of customs of SC2.

As far as wanting to play is concerned sure I do but I don't like sucking and with the backlog of other games to play plus the amount of good to great games in the future, it's a reversal of my childhood where a good to great game didn't come out every month and a lack of money allowed me to play Diablo II, Warcraft III, StarCraft and Counter-Strike for years. I have also been playing Team Fortress 2 for years now and that was just so much easier to jump into and win.
History's Strongest Disciple
crimsonsentinel
Profile Joined April 2010
United States179 Posts
March 21 2011 18:50 GMT
#157
Like others have said, this is a GOOD thing. You can't grow esports if the only people watching are hardcore gamers.
L3g3nd_
Profile Joined July 2010
New Zealand10461 Posts
March 21 2011 18:52 GMT
#158
I personally find it odd that non palyers watch sc2, i dont think it would be that appealing, but im happy that it is! the more viewers the better ^^
https://twitter.com/#!/IrisAnother
Omgzpwnd
Profile Joined May 2010
Poland59 Posts
March 21 2011 18:55 GMT
#159
Very good point of OP. I think that might happen because people who are really good at sc2(like u said, pros) spend alot more time IN the game, this might be why they care about the game balance alot more than people from lower leagues. The balance affects them alot more than people who dont really play the game, so i guess this is why the balance talk is their priority(they can see some unfair advantages while casual gamers cant see it because they simply dont play enough). Also, if You spend 6-12 hours playing then You dont really have so much time to care about posting on forums etc. while players who spend 1 hour playing can spend alot more time posting/doing some community things.
And i dont really think its bad. Its great that alot of people like this game, i dont think it will become as big as soccer is(sadly).
I'm just wondering is this because the game is that good and enjoyable, or is this because of big money invested into hyping sc2.

Sorry for poor english. Have a nice day Sir.
Lemure
Profile Joined March 2010
189 Posts
March 21 2011 18:58 GMT
#160
I find it kind of odd a an avid spectator would not want to play. If anything I would think people would play simply for fun. Sports are actually quite difficult to get into, they require equipment, people and scheduling. All you need for SC is a computer and an internet connection.
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta16
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE71
Nina 63
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 173
Dewaltoss 76
Hyuk 62
Noble 25
Bale 16
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm108
League of Legends
Doublelift3561
Counter-Strike
Fnx 738
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King83
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5301
Khaldor764
Other Games
summit1g7968
FrodaN2138
shahzam496
JimRising 296
KnowMe278
C9.Mang0243
ArmadaUGS114
ZombieGrub93
Trikslyr38
PPMD34
CosmosSc2 21
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream76
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH349
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota2688
Other Games
• imaqtpie832
• Shiphtur190
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
11h 21m
Online Event
12h 21m
FEL
17h 21m
AI Arena Tournament
18h 21m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
20h 21m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 11h
INu's Battles
1d 13h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 20h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 20h
Replay Cast
2 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-01
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Proleague 2026-10-02
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.