• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:15
CEST 17:15
KST 00:15
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8005 users

[Q] Mechanical Keyboard Recommendation - Page 11

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 54 Next
timestep
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada73 Posts
March 11 2011 17:09 GMT
#201
i just picked up the das keyboard. Sooo nice. Clicky and so soft.

Feels like my fingers can fly over this thing. But makes alot of mistakes cause you want to type and can type so fast.
"whoop whoop whoop whoop" - Dr. Zoidberg
Herpadurr
Profile Joined January 2011
Monaco151 Posts
March 11 2011 18:00 GMT
#202
On March 12 2011 00:50 Carpenter wrote:
thats the hipster of keyboards


It's more like the pink polo shirt with a popped collar of keyboards.
You're stupid. Stop it.
JimSocks
Profile Joined February 2009
United States968 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-12 04:40:43
March 12 2011 04:40 GMT
#203
yo heads up, steelseries webshop got a 30% coupon code SWAGAWAY30. Ends 3/31/11.
i finally made the leap to mechanical. thanks to hardforum hotdeals section.

edit: i think north america only.
sawedust
Profile Joined December 2010
United States506 Posts
March 12 2011 04:44 GMT
#204
On March 12 2011 01:45 Buddhist wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 11 2011 23:33 Kvz wrote:
i have both blacks and blues; blues are lighter and have audible feedback, but theres a slight double tap issue that took a while for me to get used to.

blacks are very reliable and super responsive. there is no audible feedback but the linear actuation and rapid double tap makes it a bit more reliable.

What do you mean by "slight double tap issue"?

Thanks for the input :3


Blues have a small problem where the keyboard doesn't register two rapid keypresses due to the nature of the blue switch. In order for the key to register once then register again, you need to let the key itself return past the point of actuation.

The actuation point of a blue cherry switch is approximately 2mm, bottoming out is 4mm. Therefore if you want to double tap quickly, you need to push down 2mm, release it, then push down on the key again. However if you push the key down 4mm, release it to 2mm, and push it back down to 4mm, it will only register as one keystroke instead of two.

Kind of complicated, but hope you can make sense out of this.
rbkl
Profile Joined March 2010
772 Posts
March 12 2011 04:59 GMT
#205
On March 12 2011 13:44 sawedust wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 12 2011 01:45 Buddhist wrote:
On March 11 2011 23:33 Kvz wrote:
i have both blacks and blues; blues are lighter and have audible feedback, but theres a slight double tap issue that took a while for me to get used to.

blacks are very reliable and super responsive. there is no audible feedback but the linear actuation and rapid double tap makes it a bit more reliable.

What do you mean by "slight double tap issue"?

Thanks for the input :3


Blues have a small problem where the keyboard doesn't register two rapid keypresses due to the nature of the blue switch. In order for the key to register once then register again, you need to let the key itself return past the point of actuation.

The actuation point of a blue cherry switch is approximately 2mm, bottoming out is 4mm. Therefore if you want to double tap quickly, you need to push down 2mm, release it, then push down on the key again. However if you push the key down 4mm, release it to 2mm, and push it back down to 4mm, it will only register as one keystroke instead of two.

Kind of complicated, but hope you can make sense out of this.


Eh I have no issues with double tapping, that's really weird that you wouldn't let the key up. All key switches need to be up past the point of actuation, not just the blues.

What keyboard do you have?
www.check6gaming.com // www.iugaming.com ** Indiana's Premier Gaming / Starcraft Community **
vindKtiv
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States215 Posts
March 12 2011 05:07 GMT
#206
On March 12 2011 13:44 sawedust wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 12 2011 01:45 Buddhist wrote:
On March 11 2011 23:33 Kvz wrote:
i have both blacks and blues; blues are lighter and have audible feedback, but theres a slight double tap issue that took a while for me to get used to.

blacks are very reliable and super responsive. there is no audible feedback but the linear actuation and rapid double tap makes it a bit more reliable.

What do you mean by "slight double tap issue"?

Thanks for the input :3


Blues have a small problem where the keyboard doesn't register two rapid keypresses due to the nature of the blue switch. In order for the key to register once then register again, you need to let the key itself return past the point of actuation.

The actuation point of a blue cherry switch is approximately 2mm, bottoming out is 4mm. Therefore if you want to double tap quickly, you need to push down 2mm, release it, then push down on the key again. However if you push the key down 4mm, release it to 2mm, and push it back down to 4mm, it will only register as one keystroke instead of two.

Kind of complicated, but hope you can make sense out of this.

While this is all indeed true, you can rest assured that the issue is easily remedied with just a couple day's of playing, and within a week you'll probably not even notice the issue. Plenty of people (including me) play on blue switches and are not deterred by the issue, so this shouldn't be a dealbreaker for anybody.
sawedust
Profile Joined December 2010
United States506 Posts
March 12 2011 05:12 GMT
#207
On March 12 2011 13:59 rbkl wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 12 2011 13:44 sawedust wrote:
On March 12 2011 01:45 Buddhist wrote:
What do you mean by "slight double tap issue"?

Thanks for the input :3


Blues have a small problem where the keyboard doesn't register two rapid keypresses due to the nature of the blue switch. In order for the key to register once then register again, you need to let the key itself return past the point of actuation.

The actuation point of a blue cherry switch is approximately 2mm, bottoming out is 4mm. Therefore if you want to double tap quickly, you need to push down 2mm, release it, then push down on the key again. However if you push the key down 4mm, release it to 2mm, and push it back down to 4mm, it will only register as one keystroke instead of two.

Kind of complicated, but hope you can make sense out of this.


Eh I have no issues with double tapping, that's really weird that you wouldn't let the key up. All key switches need to be up past the point of actuation, not just the blues.

What keyboard do you have?


I have no issues with double tapping, just trying to give Buddhist a heads up on the general problem of blues and double tapping. I myself have a cherry brown tenkeyless Filco. Amazing board. No issues here for me.

On March 12 2011 14:07 vindKtiv wrote:
While this is all indeed true, you can rest assured that the issue is easily remedied with just a couple day's of playing, and within a week you'll probably not even notice the issue. Plenty of people (including me) play on blue switches and are not deterred by the issue, so this shouldn't be a dealbreaker for anybody.


Very true, I believe I posted that earlier in this thread or in another of the many mech keyboard threads we have on the Tech Support forum. It took me a week or so to adjust to these switches, but now that I'm used to it I am never, ever going back to a rubber dome keyboard. I tried typing on one earlier today; it was a horrible, horrible experience.
B-Wong
Profile Joined October 2010
United States240 Posts
March 12 2011 06:00 GMT
#208
On March 11 2011 14:00 LanTAs wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 11 2011 13:44 B-Wong wrote:
Das Keyboards and Filcos are what I've personally been looking at (MX Blues)
I've heard testimonies that they both have the same feel (well duh same keyswitch) and with conversions they're all about the same price but that doesn't count shipping. Although, I think I'm leaning towards the Filco a bit more because of the fact that the Das Keyboard is shiny/glossy and I have cats so I want something very low-maintenance. But those are the two that I'd have to recommend.


You might as well wait until the start of april to grab a lepold tenkeyless, its the same thing as a filco (and same makers too). i'm probably going to grab one of those too, but then they(elitekeyboards) are only shipping the FC2000 compact models, so no numb. pad lol.

$100 for lepold, brown or blues, with lettering or none.
$125-130 for Das, extra usb port, numb. pad, with lettering or none, brown or blues.

it just depends on your preference whether or not you want a number pad, a sexy looking keyboard and a extra usb slot or a cheaper mech keyboard that provides all the same features but aesthetics might not be as nice as the Das.


That's just it, tenkeyless. I personally find myself using numpad on my standard old rubber dome keyboard a lot (Logitech K120) and I'm not willing to give it up, but again. I think between those two keyboards it's really down to personal preference.
djcube
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States985 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-12 06:03:53
March 12 2011 06:03 GMT
#209
On March 12 2011 13:40 JimSocks wrote:
yo heads up, steelseries webshop got a 30% coupon code SWAGAWAY30. Ends 3/31/11.
i finally made the leap to mechanical. thanks to hardforum hotdeals section.

edit: i think north america only.

Awesome, thanks for this, just picked up a 6Gv2. I've been wanting to get a mechanical keyboard for a year now, but couldn't really bring myself to spend more than a $100 (though I'm sure it's worth it). Anyone have experience with steelseries shipping within the US? I'm sure it'll take forever, but I can wait.
krazymunky
Profile Joined June 2008
United States727 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-12 07:13:43
March 12 2011 07:13 GMT
#210
nvm!
life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery
Xapti
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada2473 Posts
March 12 2011 08:25 GMT
#211
not only is the blue's hysteresis (rapid key pressing in succession) problem extremely minor (I don't think people even have a problem with it when playing things like Stepmania), but Starcraft 2 doesn't use double presses for much or anything anyway— you can just hold down the key.
"Then he told me to tell you that he wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire" — "Well, you tell him that I said that I wouldn't piss on him if he was on Jeopardy!"
Hectic
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Australia159 Posts
March 12 2011 08:46 GMT
#212
steelseries is no good because its cheery black keys and blackwidow is no good because it has macor buttons on the left side which interfere with the side of the keyboard if that is where you like to reference your hand position.

I would use a HP membrane keyboard for playing starcraft before i used one of them.

I would however reccmend a cherry brown or blue switch mechanical keyboard if it has a standard layout with straight sides and front close to the keys
Only if you beleive.
Blisse
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada3710 Posts
March 12 2011 08:59 GMT
#213
I wish I could get a Leopold. Sadly I can't really do online transactions.

Tenkeyless doesn't bother me much since I rarely use that side of the keyboard unless it's using the calculator (too lazy), entering a password (which I've learned to do without already), buying weapons in counterstrike (never play anymore), random use of - + / * for programming (never use anymore) or in a game where I actually need them (forgot if that's ever happened).

So yes, I want a Leopold. Or a Filco. Or an equivalent.

All I am certain is that I can never use a membrane keyboard for an extended period. Typed up a contest on a laptop keyboard and cried at how hard it was. But that may be more of the laptop's fault. Feeling membrane boards are terrible now.
There is no one like you in the universe.
Baarn
Profile Joined April 2010
United States2702 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-12 10:59:04
March 12 2011 10:58 GMT
#214
[image loading]

There's no S in KT. :P
Buddhist
Profile Joined April 2010
United States658 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-13 03:37:35
March 13 2011 03:36 GMT
#215
Thanks for all the information. Yeah, I wouldn't suspect that double tapping would be a problem, considering that I already have to let my keys return to resting position on my rubber dome keyboard between taps.

I'm getting a lot of mixed feedback on the sound of cherry blacks. My WoW pro-gamer friend tells me his steel series 7g is "very loud and bad manner to use when someone is sleeping in the room".

Everyone else, basically, has said that cherry blacks are very quiet compared to blues. If you bottom out cherry blacks, blues, and browns, will there be much sound difference? or is the sound difference only when you barely actuate (don't bottom out)?

Also, will I miss out on the tactile feel of browns if I go with blacks? Or does that not really come in to the picture when playing SC2, and basically only matters when typing?
echO [W]
Profile Joined July 2010
United States1495 Posts
March 13 2011 03:37 GMT
#216
Blues are the loudest by far. It could be that your WoW friend pro-gamer just thinks they are loud because well, its the first mech kb that he's used.
"Or a school bus over a bunch of kids" - Tasteless --- “A man's errors are his portals of discovery.” - James Joyce
Buddhist
Profile Joined April 2010
United States658 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-13 03:42:51
March 13 2011 03:41 GMT
#217
On March 12 2011 15:00 B-Wong wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 11 2011 14:00 LanTAs wrote:
On March 11 2011 13:44 B-Wong wrote:
Das Keyboards and Filcos are what I've personally been looking at (MX Blues)
I've heard testimonies that they both have the same feel (well duh same keyswitch) and with conversions they're all about the same price but that doesn't count shipping. Although, I think I'm leaning towards the Filco a bit more because of the fact that the Das Keyboard is shiny/glossy and I have cats so I want something very low-maintenance. But those are the two that I'd have to recommend.


You might as well wait until the start of april to grab a lepold tenkeyless, its the same thing as a filco (and same makers too). i'm probably going to grab one of those too, but then they(elitekeyboards) are only shipping the FC2000 compact models, so no numb. pad lol.

$100 for lepold, brown or blues, with lettering or none.
$125-130 for Das, extra usb port, numb. pad, with lettering or none, brown or blues.

it just depends on your preference whether or not you want a number pad, a sexy looking keyboard and a extra usb slot or a cheaper mech keyboard that provides all the same features but aesthetics might not be as nice as the Das.


That's just it, tenkeyless. I personally find myself using numpad on my standard old rubber dome keyboard a lot (Logitech K120) and I'm not willing to give it up, but again. I think between those two keyboards it's really down to personal preference.

What're you using keypad for? Just curious. I've always thought it'd be nice to have a keypadless keyboard.

On March 13 2011 12:37 echO [W] wrote:
Blues are the loudest by far. It could be that your WoW friend pro-gamer just thinks they are loud because well, its the first mech kb that he's used.

He said it was his first mechanical keyboard, so you're probably right. Do you think I'll miss out on the tactile feel from browns/blues if I go with blacks while playing SC2?
Chuiu
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
3470 Posts
March 13 2011 04:32 GMT
#218
On March 12 2011 13:40 JimSocks wrote:
yo heads up, steelseries webshop got a 30% coupon code SWAGAWAY30. Ends 3/31/11.
i finally made the leap to mechanical. thanks to hardforum hotdeals section.

edit: i think north america only.

You are awesome, been looking at mechanical keyboards for a long time but never saw any by steelseries until now, I picked up the 6gv2 when I saw it had media controls on it also.
♞
sawedust
Profile Joined December 2010
United States506 Posts
March 13 2011 04:46 GMT
#219
On March 13 2011 12:36 Buddhist wrote:
Thanks for all the information. Yeah, I wouldn't suspect that double tapping would be a problem, considering that I already have to let my keys return to resting position on my rubber dome keyboard between taps.

I'm getting a lot of mixed feedback on the sound of cherry blacks. My WoW pro-gamer friend tells me his steel series 7g is "very loud and bad manner to use when someone is sleeping in the room".

Everyone else, basically, has said that cherry blacks are very quiet compared to blues. If you bottom out cherry blacks, blues, and browns, will there be much sound difference? or is the sound difference only when you barely actuate (don't bottom out)?

Also, will I miss out on the tactile feel of browns if I go with blacks? Or does that not really come in to the picture when playing SC2, and basically only matters when typing?


Every mechanical keyboard is going to be louder than a standard rubber dome or membrane keyboard. If you bottom out any of the keys, they're going to be pretty loud.

Blues are going to be the loudest of them all as they have a high-pitched "click" when you push down on the key.

As far as tactile feel goes, that's personal preference. I myself love having the bump there for typing and applications outside of SC2. That plus the lower actuation force makes having cherry browns such a joy for me.

A lot of people didn't have issues when playing SC2 with cherry blacks, but some hated the force it took to try and type with them. Unless you have man hands (like iNcontrol, those are more like bear hands) it's going to be a little more difficult to type with blacks than it would be with blues or browns.

Hope this helps!
Buddhist
Profile Joined April 2010
United States658 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-13 11:44:15
March 13 2011 10:37 GMT
#220
Why's everything out of stock T_T

Is it impossible to get a Filco Majestouch tenkeyless with brown switches now? Doesn't seem to be available anywhere.
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 54 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 45m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech146
Codebar 25
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 2863
Shuttle 1450
EffOrt 923
BeSt 709
Light 424
Mini 407
ggaemo 334
Stork 278
ZerO 245
firebathero 231
[ Show more ]
Rush 171
Barracks 138
Sea.KH 80
Zeus 64
Dewaltoss 63
Killer 60
Shine 52
Hyun 40
Shinee 30
Mong 30
ToSsGirL 28
Sexy 27
Aegong 25
sorry 23
Bale 22
Terrorterran 20
soO 19
ajuk12(nOOB) 12
Sacsri 11
yabsab 8
zelot 7
910 7
Dota 2
qojqva3705
Dendi1667
BananaSlamJamma415
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
Fnx 179
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes515
Other Games
singsing2255
hiko1233
Liquid`RaSZi1185
B2W.Neo916
Lowko391
Liquid`VortiX274
Sick176
ArmadaUGS132
Rex83
Trikslyr32
ZerO(Twitch)13
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream547
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 9
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile119
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2247
• Jankos2225
• TFBlade700
Other Games
• WagamamaTV285
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
45m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
18h 45m
Afreeca Starleague
18h 45m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 8h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 19h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.