• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:02
CEST 06:02
KST 13:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9133 users

Mechanical Keyboard Guide - Page 97

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 95 96 97 98 99 383 Next
Blaec
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia4289 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-25 06:34:54
February 25 2012 06:33 GMT
#1921
On February 25 2012 10:47 Sovano wrote:
Anyone have any experience with this keyboard? TG3 Electronics BL82
http://www.globaltekoutlet.com/TG3-Electronics-BL82-Series-Backlit-Keyboard-p/bl82.htm

I'm trying to decide between that keyboard and the CM Storm Quickfire. Mainly because they're both mechanical and I'm a sucker for backlit led keyboards.

Btw what type of Cherry MX does this CM Storm use?
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=67069&vpn=SGK-4000-GKCL1-US&manufacture=COOLERMASTER&promoid=1315


apparently the TG3 is pretty good, seems amazingly cheap though. Source

That CM storm is blue. (click specifications)

The TG3 seems an easy win if you want backlighting and can handle black switches. But I would do some more research if I were you, because that deal just seems too amazing at only $50. edit: and it has double shot keys, this TG3 is incredible.
Sovano
Profile Joined November 2011
United States1503 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-25 06:50:01
February 25 2012 06:42 GMT
#1922
On February 25 2012 15:33 Blaec wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 25 2012 10:47 Sovano wrote:
Anyone have any experience with this keyboard? TG3 Electronics BL82
http://www.globaltekoutlet.com/TG3-Electronics-BL82-Series-Backlit-Keyboard-p/bl82.htm

I'm trying to decide between that keyboard and the CM Storm Quickfire. Mainly because they're both mechanical and I'm a sucker for backlit led keyboards.

Btw what type of Cherry MX does this CM Storm use?
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=67069&vpn=SGK-4000-GKCL1-US&manufacture=COOLERMASTER&promoid=1315


apparently the TG3 is pretty good, seems amazingly cheap though. Source

That CM storm is blue. (click specifications)

The TG3 seems an easy win if you want backlighting and can handle black switches. But I would do some more research if I were you, because that deal just seems too amazing at only $50. edit: and it has double shot keys, this TG3 is incredible.

Nice, I'll probably order it tomorrow if I can get some funds on Paypal. Only thing I don't like off the bat is probably it being tenkey-less and the keys looking a bit small. Other than that hopefully the black switches will be good, never used a mechanical keyboard before.

Although I'll probably wait and see if anyone else has a say on this, and do some research like you said. They have 113 in stock, so I don't think that's disappearing anytime soon.
Blaec
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia4289 Posts
February 25 2012 07:07 GMT
#1923
On February 25 2012 15:42 Sovano wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 25 2012 15:33 Blaec wrote:
On February 25 2012 10:47 Sovano wrote:
Anyone have any experience with this keyboard? TG3 Electronics BL82
http://www.globaltekoutlet.com/TG3-Electronics-BL82-Series-Backlit-Keyboard-p/bl82.htm

I'm trying to decide between that keyboard and the CM Storm Quickfire. Mainly because they're both mechanical and I'm a sucker for backlit led keyboards.

Btw what type of Cherry MX does this CM Storm use?
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=67069&vpn=SGK-4000-GKCL1-US&manufacture=COOLERMASTER&promoid=1315


apparently the TG3 is pretty good, seems amazingly cheap though. Source

That CM storm is blue. (click specifications)

The TG3 seems an easy win if you want backlighting and can handle black switches. But I would do some more research if I were you, because that deal just seems too amazing at only $50. edit: and it has double shot keys, this TG3 is incredible.

Nice, I'll probably order it tomorrow if I can get some funds on Paypal. Only thing I don't like off the bat is probably it being tenkey-less and the keys looking a bit small. Other than that hopefully the black switches will be good, never used a mechanical keyboard before.

Although I'll probably wait and see if anyone else has a say on this, and do some research like you said. They have 113 in stock, so I don't think that's disappearing anytime soon.


Black switches are fine, should be a big step up from a rubber dome keyboard.
The keys seem pretty much standard size, though they taper up quite a bit.

There are backlit fullsize keyboards around, but you are looking at double the cost of the TG3.
If the compact layout of the TG3 isn't a deal breaker I would say go for it.
But if the layout is going to annoy you then spend a bit more and get a keyboard you will love.
slytown
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Korea (South)1411 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-25 09:09:15
February 25 2012 09:06 GMT
#1924
On February 25 2012 10:47 Sovano wrote:
Anyone have any experience with this keyboard? TG3 Electronics BL82
http://www.globaltekoutlet.com/TG3-Electronics-BL82-Series-Backlit-Keyboard-p/bl82.htm

I'm trying to decide between that keyboard and the CM Storm Quickfire. Mainly because they're both mechanical and I'm a sucker for backlit led keyboards.

Btw what type of Cherry MX does this CM Storm use?
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=67069&vpn=SGK-4000-GKCL1-US&manufacture=COOLERMASTER&promoid=1315


I looked at the BL82 and I wouldn't buy it. The keycap printing is uneven, there are no levels, and its too cheap for a mechanical board, making me think they skipped on quality control. Look at the market for mechanical keyboards and u'll know why I'm suspect.

If you don't mind the $50 to try it don't let me stop you though. But, for those people wanting to buy a "cheap mechanical keyboard" are in the wrong market.
The best Flash meme ever: http://imgur.com/zquoK
Blaec
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia4289 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-25 09:27:46
February 25 2012 09:27 GMT
#1925
On February 25 2012 18:06 slytown wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 25 2012 10:47 Sovano wrote:
Anyone have any experience with this keyboard? TG3 Electronics BL82
http://www.globaltekoutlet.com/TG3-Electronics-BL82-Series-Backlit-Keyboard-p/bl82.htm

I'm trying to decide between that keyboard and the CM Storm Quickfire. Mainly because they're both mechanical and I'm a sucker for backlit led keyboards.

Btw what type of Cherry MX does this CM Storm use?
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=67069&vpn=SGK-4000-GKCL1-US&manufacture=COOLERMASTER&promoid=1315


I looked at the BL82 and I wouldn't buy it. The keycap printing is uneven, there are no levels, and its too cheap for a mechanical board, making me think they skipped on quality control. Look at the market for mechanical keyboards and u'll know why I'm suspect.

If you don't mind the $50 to try it don't let me stop you though. But, for those people wanting to buy a "cheap mechanical keyboard" are in the wrong market.


The price is weirdly low, but I don't think its because of bad QC. The ones linked to in this thread seem to be police car stock, built to be pretty well indestructible. TG3 seem to build industrial keyboards.

But there are downsides, the back of the keyboard is a metal plate with screws in it. So there are no legs to sit the keyboard up on an angle, there is no rubber to stop the keyboard sliding around on your desk (and it looks like those screws would scratch the shit out of my glass desk).
Though you could always just bolt the keyboard to your desk.

Also as you say the entire board is flat as opposed to the normal angle, so it may not be the most comfortable or desk friendly keyboard. Also it is only PS/2, so you need an adaptor if you have a newer motherboard.

But its an absurdly cheap compact backlit mechanical board with blacks. If that is what you are after the BL82 looks like a great deal
Wartortle
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia504 Posts
February 25 2012 13:57 GMT
#1926
Hi guys im trying to make the difficult choice of a new mech keyboard and i thought id ask for suggestions.

Im looking for TKL or a reduced size keyboard with linear switches black or red, for SC2.

So far i have come up with -

- noppoo choc mini (white verison) wiht PBT key caps with reds
- CM storm quick fire rapid with reds
- TTesports Meka Mini/Original with blacks
- noppoo choc mini white version with PBT key caps with blacks
- filco TKL with blacks (cant get reds)
- leopold TKL with blacks or reds

prefer to spend less but not that worried, only the filco is more expensive, the rest are about 100.

Can people please suggest whether blacks or reds will be more suitable and if any of these keyboards would be a good choice.
Lastly i was wondering where people get those sweet sc2 printed keycaps?
Im currently using a DT35 and i hammer it fairly hard (switches that are simlar to this might be good)

If anyone at all can help i would be so grateful!
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
February 25 2012 14:02 GMT
#1927
I think most people get custom caps from http://www.wasdkeyboards.com

DT35 is just a cheap membrane. Comparable keyboards includes other Logitech and Microsoft keyboards >.>
Wartortle
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia504 Posts
February 25 2012 14:09 GMT
#1928
On February 25 2012 23:02 skyR wrote:
I think most people get custom caps from http://www.wasdkeyboards.com

DT35 is just a cheap membrane. Comparable keyboards includes other Logitech and Microsoft keyboards >.>


Hmm im just trying to give an example of what im using at the moment. Ive used a BW with blues and a Majetouch with browns and i found this DT35 to be nicer than both of those, so i wouldnt compare it at all to cheap logitech and microsoft keyboards. Thats a topic for another day though!

My main issue is I need TKL or reduced size, and mechanical will be better than any RD keyboard in this category.
Blaec
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia4289 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-25 14:40:11
February 25 2012 14:39 GMT
#1929
On February 25 2012 22:57 ProxiEchoes wrote:
Hi guys im trying to make the difficult choice of a new mech keyboard and i thought id ask for suggestions.

Im looking for TKL or a reduced size keyboard with linear switches black or red, for SC2.

So far i have come up with -

- noppoo choc mini (white verison) wiht PBT key caps with reds
- CM storm quick fire rapid with reds
- TTesports Meka Mini/Original with blacks
- noppoo choc mini white version with PBT key caps with blacks
- filco TKL with blacks (cant get reds)
- leopold TKL with blacks or reds

prefer to spend less but not that worried, only the filco is more expensive, the rest are about 100.

Can people please suggest whether blacks or reds will be more suitable and if any of these keyboards would be a good choice.
Lastly i was wondering where people get those sweet sc2 printed keycaps?
Im currently using a DT35 and i hammer it fairly hard (switches that are simlar to this might be good)

If anyone at all can help i would be so grateful!


Umm they are all good?
If you like the noppoo choc mini layout then get that. If you want a more standard layout I would say the CM storm (if you can handle the tons of CM decals and weird key font) or Leopold.

I can't say whether red or black are better, its personal opinion. Red is lighter, black is heavier. Red is probably more popular.

The custom caps are either Geekhack group buys or WASD as skyR mentioned.
Sovano
Profile Joined November 2011
United States1503 Posts
February 25 2012 15:19 GMT
#1930
On February 25 2012 18:27 Blaec wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 25 2012 18:06 slytown wrote:
On February 25 2012 10:47 Sovano wrote:
Anyone have any experience with this keyboard? TG3 Electronics BL82
http://www.globaltekoutlet.com/TG3-Electronics-BL82-Series-Backlit-Keyboard-p/bl82.htm

I'm trying to decide between that keyboard and the CM Storm Quickfire. Mainly because they're both mechanical and I'm a sucker for backlit led keyboards.

Btw what type of Cherry MX does this CM Storm use?
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=67069&vpn=SGK-4000-GKCL1-US&manufacture=COOLERMASTER&promoid=1315


I looked at the BL82 and I wouldn't buy it. The keycap printing is uneven, there are no levels, and its too cheap for a mechanical board, making me think they skipped on quality control. Look at the market for mechanical keyboards and u'll know why I'm suspect.

If you don't mind the $50 to try it don't let me stop you though. But, for those people wanting to buy a "cheap mechanical keyboard" are in the wrong market.


The price is weirdly low, but I don't think its because of bad QC. The ones linked to in this thread seem to be police car stock, built to be pretty well indestructible. TG3 seem to build industrial keyboards.

But there are downsides, the back of the keyboard is a metal plate with screws in it. So there are no legs to sit the keyboard up on an angle, there is no rubber to stop the keyboard sliding around on your desk (and it looks like those screws would scratch the shit out of my glass desk).
Though you could always just bolt the keyboard to your desk.

Also as you say the entire board is flat as opposed to the normal angle, so it may not be the most comfortable or desk friendly keyboard. Also it is only PS/2, so you need an adaptor if you have a newer motherboard.

But its an absurdly cheap compact backlit mechanical board with blacks. If that is what you are after the BL82 looks like a great deal

I never even thought about if it had keyboard legs or the connectivity type. Personally the cons you just listed is making me go towards the CM Storm. I hear they have a brown switch type coming soon to the US, supposedly near the end of March.
Blaec
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia4289 Posts
February 25 2012 17:34 GMT
#1931
On February 26 2012 00:19 Sovano wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 25 2012 18:27 Blaec wrote:
On February 25 2012 18:06 slytown wrote:
On February 25 2012 10:47 Sovano wrote:
Anyone have any experience with this keyboard? TG3 Electronics BL82
http://www.globaltekoutlet.com/TG3-Electronics-BL82-Series-Backlit-Keyboard-p/bl82.htm

I'm trying to decide between that keyboard and the CM Storm Quickfire. Mainly because they're both mechanical and I'm a sucker for backlit led keyboards.

Btw what type of Cherry MX does this CM Storm use?
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=67069&vpn=SGK-4000-GKCL1-US&manufacture=COOLERMASTER&promoid=1315


I looked at the BL82 and I wouldn't buy it. The keycap printing is uneven, there are no levels, and its too cheap for a mechanical board, making me think they skipped on quality control. Look at the market for mechanical keyboards and u'll know why I'm suspect.

If you don't mind the $50 to try it don't let me stop you though. But, for those people wanting to buy a "cheap mechanical keyboard" are in the wrong market.


The price is weirdly low, but I don't think its because of bad QC. The ones linked to in this thread seem to be police car stock, built to be pretty well indestructible. TG3 seem to build industrial keyboards.

But there are downsides, the back of the keyboard is a metal plate with screws in it. So there are no legs to sit the keyboard up on an angle, there is no rubber to stop the keyboard sliding around on your desk (and it looks like those screws would scratch the shit out of my glass desk).
Though you could always just bolt the keyboard to your desk.

Also as you say the entire board is flat as opposed to the normal angle, so it may not be the most comfortable or desk friendly keyboard. Also it is only PS/2, so you need an adaptor if you have a newer motherboard.

But its an absurdly cheap compact backlit mechanical board with blacks. If that is what you are after the BL82 looks like a great deal

I never even thought about if it had keyboard legs or the connectivity type. Personally the cons you just listed is making me go towards the CM Storm. I hear they have a brown switch type coming soon to the US, supposedly near the end of March.


Welll thanks to slytown for making me think about it. Good choice with the CM storm.
Bakkendepao
Profile Joined February 2011
Netherlands185 Posts
February 25 2012 20:24 GMT
#1932
Does anybody know where I can buy Leopolds, Rosewills or anything else without having to pay like 50$ on shipping costs? The only keyboards I can get without paying ridiculous shipping prices are the steelseries 6gv2, zowie celeritas and razer blackwidow. Since I want to go with browns or reds the only option left is a zowie cerlitas, but I heard there are problems with it's nylon keycaps, so this is a no go aswell... I just want a simple keyboard with tenkey, but just can't find anything with a reasonable shipping price...
[1:11:58] محمد بن راشد آل مكتوم: >having a signature [1:11:58] محمد بن راشد آل مكتوم: what are you
Tryxt
Profile Joined February 2012
2 Posts
February 25 2012 23:38 GMT
#1933
Hey guys,

Debating between the Steelseries 6gv2 and the Thermaltake Meka G1 currently. First mechanical keyboard for myself, and not even sure if the cherry mx blacks are the way to go for me to be honest, but they've both received great reviews so I thought I'd pick one of them up. I've heard the G1 is superior to the 6gv2, but I wanted a few more opinions on it, along with whether it is truly worth the $35 difference. Anyone have any take on that?

Lastly, the final option would be a Coolermaster CM Storm QuickFire. However, I can only get one in mx blues around Vancouver. Any advice would be great!
Glueburn
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States496 Posts
February 26 2012 00:33 GMT
#1934
On February 26 2012 08:38 Tryxt wrote:
Hey guys,

Debating between the Steelseries 6gv2 and the Thermaltake Meka G1 currently. First mechanical keyboard for myself, and not even sure if the cherry mx blacks are the way to go for me to be honest, but they've both received great reviews so I thought I'd pick one of them up. I've heard the G1 is superior to the 6gv2, but I wanted a few more opinions on it, along with whether it is truly worth the $35 difference. Anyone have any take on that?

Lastly, the final option would be a Coolermaster CM Storm QuickFire. However, I can only get one in mx blues around Vancouver. Any advice would be great!


I'll just give you my honest opinion.

Firstly, I'm not a fan of gaming keyboards, simply because, there are better, non gaming keyboards out there, like leopolds, and filcos. Ofcourse, they are slightly more expensive, (The Filco's being the more expensive.) but are wonderful.

Secondly, blacks are really tiring, at first, but even then, still a step up from the keyboard that you are probably using now. Just be wary though, if you are getting one of those your fingers will get tired QUICK. It takes about a week or two, depending on your current condition, for how long till those blacks don't tire you out.

All in all though, blacks are a really good switch for gaming, definitely the most enjoyable I have so far.

I would be careful with getting either one of those keyboards though, be sure that you want a 'gaming' one.
I currently have a Steelseries 6gv2, and honestly, I wouldn't recommend it, the windows key is really valuable, and even then, the enter is large, the right shift is smaller, and the \ key is right next to /.

Although, more to your direct point:
I wouldn't get the 6gv2, and instead, go with the G1, as I believe it comes with an arm rest, and has a standard layout.
Sometimes you have to play a long time to be able to play like yourself. - Miles Davis
Wartortle
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia504 Posts
February 26 2012 06:17 GMT
#1935
campin, are you saying that after a while u get used to blacks and theyre fine, maybe even good (for RTS)?
abangmozek
Profile Joined February 2012
2 Posts
February 26 2012 07:33 GMT
#1936
im a newbie who just purchased his 1st mech kb, a chery brown. It feels so nice to play on it compared to my rubber dome.

However, i have this problem. I find the keys a little high and a little harder to type. Im just wondering is it nomrla to get used to your first mech kb? Or is it just me?
Blisse
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada3710 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-26 08:22:36
February 26 2012 08:08 GMT
#1937
On February 26 2012 16:33 abangmozek wrote:
im a newbie who just purchased his 1st mech kb, a chery brown. It feels so nice to play on it compared to my rubber dome.

However, i have this problem. I find the keys a little high and a little harder to type. Im just wondering is it nomrla to get used to your first mech kb? Or is it just me?


Mechanical keyboards all have standard layouts for the most part. That means standardized heights and spacing better letters, again, for the most part. Most membranes nowadays, and scissor keys, have much lower profile keys and different shaped keys for ergonomics and to make it easier to press. Everyone has a "transition period" between their old membrane and their first mechanical board. It's perfectly normal.


On February 26 2012 09:33 CampinSam wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 26 2012 08:38 Tryxt wrote:
Hey guys,

Debating between the Steelseries 6gv2 and the Thermaltake Meka G1 currently. First mechanical keyboard for myself, and not even sure if the cherry mx blacks are the way to go for me to be honest, but they've both received great reviews so I thought I'd pick one of them up. I've heard the G1 is superior to the 6gv2, but I wanted a few more opinions on it, along with whether it is truly worth the $35 difference. Anyone have any take on that?

Lastly, the final option would be a Coolermaster CM Storm QuickFire. However, I can only get one in mx blues around Vancouver. Any advice would be great!


I'll just give you my honest opinion.

Firstly, I'm not a fan of gaming keyboards, simply because, there are better, non gaming keyboards out there, like leopolds, and filcos. Ofcourse, they are slightly more expensive, (The Filco's being the more expensive.) but are wonderful.

Secondly, blacks are really tiring, at first, but even then, still a step up from the keyboard that you are probably using now. Just be wary though, if you are getting one of those your fingers will get tired QUICK. It takes about a week or two, depending on your current condition, for how long till those blacks don't tire you out.

All in all though, blacks are a really good switch for gaming, definitely the most enjoyable I have so far.

I would be careful with getting either one of those keyboards though, be sure that you want a 'gaming' one.
I currently have a Steelseries 6gv2, and honestly, I wouldn't recommend it, the windows key is really valuable, and even then, the enter is large, the right shift is smaller, and the \ key is right next to /.

Although, more to your direct point:
I wouldn't get the 6gv2, and instead, go with the G1, as I believe it comes with an arm rest, and has a standard layout.


That's just because the SteelSeries keyboards are bad mechanicals, not because they're gaming, though that might be a reason since they thought they could get away with "optimizing it for gamers."

Blacks and Reds are the best for pure gaming. If you're half gaming and half typing, go for Blues or Browns. Blues are for typists more than Browns. Browns are basically halfway.

There are plenty of other options. Look here. Also consider importing some better ones from the States or overseas, though that'll push your budget if you have one.
There is no one like you in the universe.
SirHyoon
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Australia46 Posts
February 26 2012 08:20 GMT
#1938
On February 25 2012 22:57 ProxiEchoes wrote:
Hi guys im trying to make the difficult choice of a new mech keyboard and i thought id ask for suggestions.

Im looking for TKL or a reduced size keyboard with linear switches black or red, for SC2.

So far i have come up with -

- noppoo choc mini (white verison) wiht PBT key caps with reds
- CM storm quick fire rapid with reds
- TTesports Meka Mini/Original with blacks
- noppoo choc mini white version with PBT key caps with blacks
- filco TKL with blacks (cant get reds)
- leopold TKL with blacks or reds

prefer to spend less but not that worried, only the filco is more expensive, the rest are about 100.

Can people please suggest whether blacks or reds will be more suitable and if any of these keyboards would be a good choice.
Lastly i was wondering where people get those sweet sc2 printed keycaps?
Im currently using a DT35 and i hammer it fairly hard (switches that are simlar to this might be good)

If anyone at all can help i would be so grateful!

I got the leopold reds from Pccasegear.com and i just have to say its friggen amazing . As for printed caps wasd keyboards make custom caps, just order those seperately.
Tryxt
Profile Joined February 2012
2 Posts
February 26 2012 20:35 GMT
#1939


That's just because the SteelSeries keyboards are bad mechanicals, not because they're gaming, though that might be a reason since they thought they could get away with "optimizing it for gamers."

Blacks and Reds are the best for pure gaming. If you're half gaming and half typing, go for Blues or Browns. Blues are for typists more than Browns. Browns are basically halfway.

There are plenty of other options. Look here. Also consider importing some better ones from the States or overseas, though that'll push your budget if you have one.


Thanks to both of you for the advice. I plan to do gaming primarily on it and maybe some typing for college papers. Though for that, I could always just plug in any random keyboard I have. I was mainly looking at NCIX and am basically stuck at a standstill between the Thermaltake G1 and CM Storm QuickFire. Hopefully they have them at the Vancouver retail store to try out before I pick one up. I even found a great deal from Canada Computers on a Corsair K60 which NCIX will match, though I'm not sold on that one yet.
exousia_7
Profile Joined December 2011
Taiwan215 Posts
February 27 2012 10:13 GMT
#1940
On February 26 2012 08:38 Tryxt wrote:
Hey guys,

Debating between the Steelseries 6gv2 and the Thermaltake Meka G1 currently. First mechanical keyboard for myself, and not even sure if the cherry mx blacks are the way to go for me to be honest, but they've both received great reviews so I thought I'd pick one of them up. I've heard the G1 is superior to the 6gv2, but I wanted a few more opinions on it, along with whether it is truly worth the $35 difference. Anyone have any take on that?

Lastly, the final option would be a Coolermaster CM Storm QuickFire. However, I can only get one in mx blues around Vancouver. Any advice would be great!


The SteelSeries 6gv2 and Thermaltake Meka G1 are both good keyboards at pretty much similar prices and they both have their own ups and downs, and when it comes to deciding what you choose in the end it's up to your own personal preferences. In my opinion this is how I would compare the 6gv2 and the Meka G1:

If you are looking at build quality, I would say the 6gv2 is built better overall. The outside look and design looks simpler, and I think it's better looking. If you want to look into further details, the keycaps of the Meka G1 is slightly higher than that of the 6gv2, thus you will have to raise your hands higher to use. I know that the Meka G1 does provide an arm-rest, but I've used it before and in my opinion it feels pretty fragile and after long period of use it can get loose. To me the arm-rest feels cheap.

To me the downside of the 6gv2 is their key layout. Their enter key is enlarged and they moved the \ next to the right shift key and the right shift key is shortened. On the Meka G1 the key layout is standard with a standard size enter key and standard size \ key on top of the enter key. Both keyboards have the left windows key replaced with a function key for the multimedia buttons, though I don't know if they can, by default, be mapped to be used as a windows key.

The Meka G1 has additional USB hubs and earphone+mic jacks for extra gaming accessories.

I'm currently using the CM Storm QuickFire Rapid to type this reply, and I don't have any regrets buying this keyboard. I live in Taiwan so I was able to get one with black switches.

Hope this helps with your decision on your purchase. =)
Prev 1 95 96 97 98 99 383 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 58m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft410
RuFF_SC2 214
Nina 85
-ZergGirl 76
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2182
Bale 20
yabsab 12
Terrorterran 9
sorry 7
Shuttle 0
Dota 2
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1170
taco 410
minikerr17
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox774
Other Games
summit1g8698
JimRising 742
Day[9].tv473
WinterStarcraft312
C9.Mang0281
Sick148
Maynarde146
Livibee142
ViBE103
ArmadaUGS39
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick926
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream149
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Response 10
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 6
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota234
League of Legends
• Stunt303
Other Games
• Day9tv473
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
6h 58m
Stellar Fest
8h 58m
The PondCast
1d 5h
OSC
1d 8h
Stellar Fest
1d 8h
OSC
1d 19h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.