• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:13
CEST 13:13
KST 20:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon107
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
All you football fans (soccer)! Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7958 users

Former Blizzard Employee AMA on Reddit - Page 8

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 14 Next All
SupLilSon
Profile Joined October 2011
Malaysia4123 Posts
June 07 2013 00:03 GMT
#141
On June 07 2013 08:35 WolfintheSheep wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2013 08:11 MonkSEA wrote:
On June 07 2013 07:54 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On June 07 2013 07:37 synd wrote:
SC2 devs superiority complex, perfectly describes why none of the community feedback changes anything in the game.

Person pretends that they're from Blizzard and shits all over employees, community believes it. Perfectly describes why SC2 devs don't listen to the community.


An AMA of this caliber on Reddit requires some proof that moderators verify. He provided his Blizzard door nameplate along with the games he has worked on for public proof and who knows what proof he provided the moderators.

A blurry nameplate of such questionable quality that it could easily have been printed from a home computer. And frankly, I have no reason to trust Reddit's verification process. For all you or I know, that crappy quality nameplate is enough for their moderators.

And let's even assume that this person is exactly who he says he is. Once you strip out all the bias from his words, you essentially have:

1) He thinks everyone outside of his department is a dick.
2) The QA department didn't get along with Devs...or possibly it was just him.
3) Despite being a low level employee doing QA grunt-work, he apparently knew everything that was wrong with the games being made, just no one listened to him.

More or less, this thread and that AMA served absolutely no purpose except allowing an asshole to inflate his own ego, whether he is ex-Blizzard or not.


Did you even read the AMA or are you just here to desperately defend Blizzard? It didn't come off as someone with a grudge against Blizzard at all. They openly said they didn't elaborate on certain issues because they lacked the knowledge... far from the know it all demeanor you are talking about. They also had lots of nice things to say about Blizzard, such as, "It is a great company to work for if you are interested, but it's tough to get in." They said some bad things about the devs but didnt generalize, acknowledging that many devs truly wanted to make the best player experience possible. Whoever it was praised Mike Morheim and said working there was a "great experience". The answered all seemed pretty fair and gave the impression that Blizzard is a big company with many personalities. More or less, I have no idea how posting an anonymous AMA is supposed to boost anyone's ego... I'm really confused how you got the impression you did...
Gaizokubanou
Profile Joined April 2013
United States61 Posts
June 07 2013 00:03 GMT
#142
I don't get this complaint about these big companies not listening to feedback... when feedback itself is just so diverse and the fanbase itself is arguing among themselves. You must not be reading the forums (the irony man) to think that community feedback is some unified hivemind voice of reason.
Chronos.
Profile Joined February 2012
United States805 Posts
June 07 2013 00:11 GMT
#143
Like other have said, this really does just sound like an angry ex-employee.

Also, I think his answer to why Starcraft 2 took so long was really misguided. The reason they always take so long to release games is because of their ridiculously high standard of quality. For example, here's a quote I read on gameinformer a week ago about why they cancelled Starcraft: Ghost:

"Pardo said that the company felt internally that it was an 80-85 game. According to Pardo, the company had no desire to release a game of that quality."

If a company is making sure that all their games are essentially going to be guaranteed to be getting at least 9/10's from reviewers consistently, their games are going to take a damn long time. Plus, it's Blizzard.
WolfintheSheep
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada14127 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-07 00:17:53
June 07 2013 00:16 GMT
#144
On June 07 2013 09:03 SupLilSon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2013 08:35 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On June 07 2013 08:11 MonkSEA wrote:
On June 07 2013 07:54 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On June 07 2013 07:37 synd wrote:
SC2 devs superiority complex, perfectly describes why none of the community feedback changes anything in the game.

Person pretends that they're from Blizzard and shits all over employees, community believes it. Perfectly describes why SC2 devs don't listen to the community.


An AMA of this caliber on Reddit requires some proof that moderators verify. He provided his Blizzard door nameplate along with the games he has worked on for public proof and who knows what proof he provided the moderators.

A blurry nameplate of such questionable quality that it could easily have been printed from a home computer. And frankly, I have no reason to trust Reddit's verification process. For all you or I know, that crappy quality nameplate is enough for their moderators.

And let's even assume that this person is exactly who he says he is. Once you strip out all the bias from his words, you essentially have:

1) He thinks everyone outside of his department is a dick.
2) The QA department didn't get along with Devs...or possibly it was just him.
3) Despite being a low level employee doing QA grunt-work, he apparently knew everything that was wrong with the games being made, just no one listened to him.

More or less, this thread and that AMA served absolutely no purpose except allowing an asshole to inflate his own ego, whether he is ex-Blizzard or not.


Did you even read the AMA or are you just here to desperately defend Blizzard? It didn't come off as someone with a grudge against Blizzard at all. They openly said they didn't elaborate on certain issues because they lacked the knowledge... far from the know it all demeanor you are talking about. They also had lots of nice things to say about Blizzard, such as, "It is a great company to work for if you are interested, but it's tough to get in." They said some bad things about the devs but didnt generalize, acknowledging that many devs truly wanted to make the best player experience possible. Whoever it was praised Mike Morheim and said working there was a "great experience". The answered all seemed pretty fair and gave the impression that Blizzard is a big company with many personalities. More or less, I have no idea how posting an anonymous AMA is supposed to boost anyone's ego... I'm really confused how you got the impression you did...

I'm not defending Blizzard in the slightest, I just don't see any reason to give this AMA any credence at all. This wouldn't be the first time someone anonymously trolled on the internet for anything except the lulz, and it wouldn't be the first time someone anonymously smeared coworkers that they didn't like on a public forum.

And yes, I did read the AMA, and frankly it reads exactly like a Blizzard fanboy talking about how the new devs fucked up their beloved franchises. Every question about games is answered with a vague "I love Blizzard games" answer, and every single question about development or devs does absolutely nothing but shit on them.
Average means I'm better than half of you.
unkkz
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Norway2196 Posts
June 07 2013 00:17 GMT
#145
Fun to get my suspicions about Ghostcrawler verified atleast. Clueless asshole that guy, remember how much he was despiced by people when i played WoW
WolfintheSheep
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada14127 Posts
June 07 2013 00:20 GMT
#146
On June 07 2013 09:17 unkkz wrote:
Fun to get my suspicions about Ghostcrawler verified atleast. Clueless asshole that guy, remember how much he was despiced by people when i played WoW

Lol, see, this is what I mean? The answers in the AMA are pure fanboy answers..."Oh, there's this guy everyone playing WoW hates, I hate him too! I can't say anything about what working with him is like, but everything the forums say about him is true!"
Average means I'm better than half of you.
SupLilSon
Profile Joined October 2011
Malaysia4123 Posts
June 07 2013 00:28 GMT
#147
On June 07 2013 09:20 WolfintheSheep wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2013 09:17 unkkz wrote:
Fun to get my suspicions about Ghostcrawler verified atleast. Clueless asshole that guy, remember how much he was despiced by people when i played WoW

Lol, see, this is what I mean? The answers in the AMA are pure fanboy answers..."Oh, there's this guy everyone playing WoW hates, I hate him too! I can't say anything about what working with him is like, but everything the forums say about him is true!"

Yea.. the fact that people agree with what was written is proof its false!

Anyways, I never use Reddit and am kinda unfamiliar with the format so maybe I missed parts of what was written. I didn't really see where the person was bashing the devs too hard, but maybe its in there. Either way, nothing very specific was said one way or the other.
WolfintheSheep
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada14127 Posts
June 07 2013 00:37 GMT
#148
On June 07 2013 09:28 SupLilSon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2013 09:20 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On June 07 2013 09:17 unkkz wrote:
Fun to get my suspicions about Ghostcrawler verified atleast. Clueless asshole that guy, remember how much he was despiced by people when i played WoW

Lol, see, this is what I mean? The answers in the AMA are pure fanboy answers..."Oh, there's this guy everyone playing WoW hates, I hate him too! I can't say anything about what working with him is like, but everything the forums say about him is true!"

Yea.. the fact that people agree with what was written is proof its false!

Anyways, I never use Reddit and am kinda unfamiliar with the format so maybe I missed parts of what was written. I didn't really see where the person was bashing the devs too hard, but maybe its in there. Either way, nothing very specific was said one way or the other.

No, the fact that he does absolutely nothing except repeat the popular opinion of forum haters is proof that it's false. If I was going to do an AMA as an ex-employee, I wouldn't just regurgitate the stuff that's said on forums by people who have zero knowledge of internal Blizzard.

I didn't see a single answer that remotely showed a scrap of insider knowledge, even if it's something as mundane as "Blizzard has fancy coffees every Friday".
Average means I'm better than half of you.
LimeNade
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States2125 Posts
June 07 2013 00:41 GMT
#149
He just sounds angry and bitter imo
JD, need I say more? :D
MonkSEA
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Australia1227 Posts
June 07 2013 00:52 GMT
#150
On June 07 2013 09:37 WolfintheSheep wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2013 09:28 SupLilSon wrote:
On June 07 2013 09:20 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On June 07 2013 09:17 unkkz wrote:
Fun to get my suspicions about Ghostcrawler verified atleast. Clueless asshole that guy, remember how much he was despiced by people when i played WoW

Lol, see, this is what I mean? The answers in the AMA are pure fanboy answers..."Oh, there's this guy everyone playing WoW hates, I hate him too! I can't say anything about what working with him is like, but everything the forums say about him is true!"

Yea.. the fact that people agree with what was written is proof its false!

Anyways, I never use Reddit and am kinda unfamiliar with the format so maybe I missed parts of what was written. I didn't really see where the person was bashing the devs too hard, but maybe its in there. Either way, nothing very specific was said one way or the other.

No, the fact that he does absolutely nothing except repeat the popular opinion of forum haters is proof that it's false. If I was going to do an AMA as an ex-employee, I wouldn't just regurgitate the stuff that's said on forums by people who have zero knowledge of internal Blizzard.

I didn't see a single answer that remotely showed a scrap of insider knowledge, even if it's something as mundane as "Blizzard has fancy coffees every Friday".


No prob! Also, a thing to note about that scoring system...it's pretty fucked up on the internal side. For example: Let's say you really liked your GM, but weren't TOTALLY satisfied enough to give the experience all 5's, so instead you give them all 4's, or maybe some 4's and 5's. Well GMs are graded on how many "perfect survey scores" they get, and are rated with a 1 or 0 point system. Basically if you get all 5's, you get 1 point, and anything else is a 0. Pretty fucked up right? Well if you get too low of an average score per quarter, you have the potential to lose your job. Yeah...and they think this is an improved rating system.


On GM Satisfactions

They do, however it was because of said internships that lead to the release of some project schedules. I don't think they do that anymore, or are at least very choosy.


On Internship hiring

Just 2 of the many answers he gave that provided insight on the innards of Blizzard. Why are you so combatant against believing this was one of the 600 people laid off by Blizzard? I mean, what answers he did give were pretty bland and more personal and not much about Blizzard itself.
http://www.youtube.com/user/sirmonkeh Zerg Live Casts and Commentary!
BigFan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
TLADT24920 Posts
June 07 2013 01:20 GMT
#151
On June 07 2013 09:52 MonkSEA wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2013 09:37 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On June 07 2013 09:28 SupLilSon wrote:
On June 07 2013 09:20 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On June 07 2013 09:17 unkkz wrote:
Fun to get my suspicions about Ghostcrawler verified atleast. Clueless asshole that guy, remember how much he was despiced by people when i played WoW

Lol, see, this is what I mean? The answers in the AMA are pure fanboy answers..."Oh, there's this guy everyone playing WoW hates, I hate him too! I can't say anything about what working with him is like, but everything the forums say about him is true!"

Yea.. the fact that people agree with what was written is proof its false!

Anyways, I never use Reddit and am kinda unfamiliar with the format so maybe I missed parts of what was written. I didn't really see where the person was bashing the devs too hard, but maybe its in there. Either way, nothing very specific was said one way or the other.

No, the fact that he does absolutely nothing except repeat the popular opinion of forum haters is proof that it's false. If I was going to do an AMA as an ex-employee, I wouldn't just regurgitate the stuff that's said on forums by people who have zero knowledge of internal Blizzard.

I didn't see a single answer that remotely showed a scrap of insider knowledge, even if it's something as mundane as "Blizzard has fancy coffees every Friday".


Show nested quote +
No prob! Also, a thing to note about that scoring system...it's pretty fucked up on the internal side. For example: Let's say you really liked your GM, but weren't TOTALLY satisfied enough to give the experience all 5's, so instead you give them all 4's, or maybe some 4's and 5's. Well GMs are graded on how many "perfect survey scores" they get, and are rated with a 1 or 0 point system. Basically if you get all 5's, you get 1 point, and anything else is a 0. Pretty fucked up right? Well if you get too low of an average score per quarter, you have the potential to lose your job. Yeah...and they think this is an improved rating system.


On GM Satisfactions

Show nested quote +
They do, however it was because of said internships that lead to the release of some project schedules. I don't think they do that anymore, or are at least very choosy.


On Internship hiring

Just 2 of the many answers he gave that provided insight on the innards of Blizzard. Why are you so combatant against believing this was one of the 600 people laid off by Blizzard? I mean, what answers he did give were pretty bland and more personal and not much about Blizzard itself.

this. They have lots of other valuable information as well as stuff that everyone already knows. From reading WolfintheSheep's posts, sounds like he wants more information on par of "yes, titan is about x and y and we did z etc...". The person is respecting the NDA so they are limited to what they can provide but lots of good stuff in there
Former BW EiC"Watch Bakemonogatari or I will kill you." -Toad, April 18th, 2017
aZealot
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
New Zealand5447 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-07 01:42:49
June 07 2013 01:41 GMT
#152
Sounds like someone grinding an axe. Badly. Meh about sums it up for me.
KT best KT ~ 2014
Shinta)
Profile Joined July 2010
United States1716 Posts
June 07 2013 01:54 GMT
#153
Eesh, is this guy an idiot or does he really just not want to find a good job after this?
Probably got fired for being late or drunk at work too many times...

Anyways, I might be a jackass for saying that since I don't have time to read the full interview and the OP says this guy says some good things, but really now... He's just not a smart person for being relatively insignificant to his company yet talking like a big shot. I have no interest in listening to his bad opinions.
Suteki Da Ne 素敵だね Isn't it Wonderful
Al Bundy
Profile Joined April 2010
7257 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-07 02:06:40
June 07 2013 02:06 GMT
#154
Activision has no direct role in any of the decision making done at Blizzard. When we merged it was no big deal.

For some reasons I have a hard time believing that but hey.
o choro é livre
udgnim
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8024 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-07 02:10:31
June 07 2013 02:08 GMT
#155
already had that impression of the SC2 devs

ignore what made BW & bnet 1.0 work (primarily custom game & UMS popularity)

implement what they think people want. doesn't work out like they expected.

take forever to add in what the community wants back bnet 1.0

fuck the SC1/BW story line and writes a story about romance that a 10 year old can understand

try as much as possible to create their own stamp on the game when replacing Swarm Hosts with Lurkers and replacing Colossus with Reavers along with making max selection equal to 24 units would make SC2 a much more interesting game to watch

also Hellbats are boring as FUCK. go from Vultures to Hellions which aren't as exciting as Vultures but they have their moments to slow tanky boring as fuck Hellbats.
E-Sports is competitive video gaming with a spectator fan base. Do not take the word "Sports" literally.
WolfintheSheep
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada14127 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-07 02:20:11
June 07 2013 02:19 GMT
#156
On June 07 2013 09:52 MonkSEA wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2013 09:37 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On June 07 2013 09:28 SupLilSon wrote:
On June 07 2013 09:20 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On June 07 2013 09:17 unkkz wrote:
Fun to get my suspicions about Ghostcrawler verified atleast. Clueless asshole that guy, remember how much he was despiced by people when i played WoW

Lol, see, this is what I mean? The answers in the AMA are pure fanboy answers..."Oh, there's this guy everyone playing WoW hates, I hate him too! I can't say anything about what working with him is like, but everything the forums say about him is true!"

Yea.. the fact that people agree with what was written is proof its false!

Anyways, I never use Reddit and am kinda unfamiliar with the format so maybe I missed parts of what was written. I didn't really see where the person was bashing the devs too hard, but maybe its in there. Either way, nothing very specific was said one way or the other.

No, the fact that he does absolutely nothing except repeat the popular opinion of forum haters is proof that it's false. If I was going to do an AMA as an ex-employee, I wouldn't just regurgitate the stuff that's said on forums by people who have zero knowledge of internal Blizzard.

I didn't see a single answer that remotely showed a scrap of insider knowledge, even if it's something as mundane as "Blizzard has fancy coffees every Friday".


Show nested quote +
No prob! Also, a thing to note about that scoring system...it's pretty fucked up on the internal side. For example: Let's say you really liked your GM, but weren't TOTALLY satisfied enough to give the experience all 5's, so instead you give them all 4's, or maybe some 4's and 5's. Well GMs are graded on how many "perfect survey scores" they get, and are rated with a 1 or 0 point system. Basically if you get all 5's, you get 1 point, and anything else is a 0. Pretty fucked up right? Well if you get too low of an average score per quarter, you have the potential to lose your job. Yeah...and they think this is an improved rating system.


On GM Satisfactions

Show nested quote +
They do, however it was because of said internships that lead to the release of some project schedules. I don't think they do that anymore, or are at least very choosy.


On Internship hiring

Just 2 of the many answers he gave that provided insight on the innards of Blizzard. Why are you so combatant against believing this was one of the 600 people laid off by Blizzard? I mean, what answers he did give were pretty bland and more personal and not much about Blizzard itself.

On June 07 2013 10:20 BigFan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2013 09:52 MonkSEA wrote:
On June 07 2013 09:37 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On June 07 2013 09:28 SupLilSon wrote:
On June 07 2013 09:20 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On June 07 2013 09:17 unkkz wrote:
Fun to get my suspicions about Ghostcrawler verified atleast. Clueless asshole that guy, remember how much he was despiced by people when i played WoW

Lol, see, this is what I mean? The answers in the AMA are pure fanboy answers..."Oh, there's this guy everyone playing WoW hates, I hate him too! I can't say anything about what working with him is like, but everything the forums say about him is true!"

Yea.. the fact that people agree with what was written is proof its false!

Anyways, I never use Reddit and am kinda unfamiliar with the format so maybe I missed parts of what was written. I didn't really see where the person was bashing the devs too hard, but maybe its in there. Either way, nothing very specific was said one way or the other.

No, the fact that he does absolutely nothing except repeat the popular opinion of forum haters is proof that it's false. If I was going to do an AMA as an ex-employee, I wouldn't just regurgitate the stuff that's said on forums by people who have zero knowledge of internal Blizzard.

I didn't see a single answer that remotely showed a scrap of insider knowledge, even if it's something as mundane as "Blizzard has fancy coffees every Friday".


No prob! Also, a thing to note about that scoring system...it's pretty fucked up on the internal side. For example: Let's say you really liked your GM, but weren't TOTALLY satisfied enough to give the experience all 5's, so instead you give them all 4's, or maybe some 4's and 5's. Well GMs are graded on how many "perfect survey scores" they get, and are rated with a 1 or 0 point system. Basically if you get all 5's, you get 1 point, and anything else is a 0. Pretty fucked up right? Well if you get too low of an average score per quarter, you have the potential to lose your job. Yeah...and they think this is an improved rating system.


On GM Satisfactions

They do, however it was because of said internships that lead to the release of some project schedules. I don't think they do that anymore, or are at least very choosy.


On Internship hiring

Just 2 of the many answers he gave that provided insight on the innards of Blizzard. Why are you so combatant against believing this was one of the 600 people laid off by Blizzard? I mean, what answers he did give were pretty bland and more personal and not much about Blizzard itself.

this. They have lots of other valuable information as well as stuff that everyone already knows. From reading WolfintheSheep's posts, sounds like he wants more information on par of "yes, titan is about x and y and we did z etc...". The person is respecting the NDA so they are limited to what they can provide but lots of good stuff in there


Let's be clear here. I don't give a damn about insider leaks or learning about top secret information. I'm wondering why a low level grunt is treated like his opinion is fact, and why his word deserves to be treated as anything but biased opinion, if he even is a real ex-employee. It's about credibility and notability, something that has not been remotely shown.

Also...fun fact, his answer toward the GM scoring system contradicts what this guy said. Take either with an absolute grain of salt...though the guy I linked to gives much more detailed answers.
Average means I'm better than half of you.
BigFan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
TLADT24920 Posts
June 07 2013 03:35 GMT
#157
On June 07 2013 10:54 Shinta) wrote:
Eesh, is this guy an idiot or does he really just not want to find a good job after this?
Probably got fired for being late or drunk at work too many times...

Anyways, I might be a jackass for saying that since I don't have time to read the full interview and the OP says this guy says some good things, but really now... He's just not a smart person for being relatively insignificant to his company yet talking like a big shot. I have no interest in listening to his bad opinions.

not an idiot since she mentions that she doesn't plan on working in the same line of work(or something along those lines).

On June 07 2013 11:19 WolfintheSheep wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2013 09:52 MonkSEA wrote:
On June 07 2013 09:37 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On June 07 2013 09:28 SupLilSon wrote:
On June 07 2013 09:20 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On June 07 2013 09:17 unkkz wrote:
Fun to get my suspicions about Ghostcrawler verified atleast. Clueless asshole that guy, remember how much he was despiced by people when i played WoW

Lol, see, this is what I mean? The answers in the AMA are pure fanboy answers..."Oh, there's this guy everyone playing WoW hates, I hate him too! I can't say anything about what working with him is like, but everything the forums say about him is true!"

Yea.. the fact that people agree with what was written is proof its false!

Anyways, I never use Reddit and am kinda unfamiliar with the format so maybe I missed parts of what was written. I didn't really see where the person was bashing the devs too hard, but maybe its in there. Either way, nothing very specific was said one way or the other.

No, the fact that he does absolutely nothing except repeat the popular opinion of forum haters is proof that it's false. If I was going to do an AMA as an ex-employee, I wouldn't just regurgitate the stuff that's said on forums by people who have zero knowledge of internal Blizzard.

I didn't see a single answer that remotely showed a scrap of insider knowledge, even if it's something as mundane as "Blizzard has fancy coffees every Friday".


No prob! Also, a thing to note about that scoring system...it's pretty fucked up on the internal side. For example: Let's say you really liked your GM, but weren't TOTALLY satisfied enough to give the experience all 5's, so instead you give them all 4's, or maybe some 4's and 5's. Well GMs are graded on how many "perfect survey scores" they get, and are rated with a 1 or 0 point system. Basically if you get all 5's, you get 1 point, and anything else is a 0. Pretty fucked up right? Well if you get too low of an average score per quarter, you have the potential to lose your job. Yeah...and they think this is an improved rating system.


On GM Satisfactions

They do, however it was because of said internships that lead to the release of some project schedules. I don't think they do that anymore, or are at least very choosy.


On Internship hiring

Just 2 of the many answers he gave that provided insight on the innards of Blizzard. Why are you so combatant against believing this was one of the 600 people laid off by Blizzard? I mean, what answers he did give were pretty bland and more personal and not much about Blizzard itself.

Show nested quote +
On June 07 2013 10:20 BigFan wrote:
On June 07 2013 09:52 MonkSEA wrote:
On June 07 2013 09:37 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On June 07 2013 09:28 SupLilSon wrote:
On June 07 2013 09:20 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On June 07 2013 09:17 unkkz wrote:
Fun to get my suspicions about Ghostcrawler verified atleast. Clueless asshole that guy, remember how much he was despiced by people when i played WoW

Lol, see, this is what I mean? The answers in the AMA are pure fanboy answers..."Oh, there's this guy everyone playing WoW hates, I hate him too! I can't say anything about what working with him is like, but everything the forums say about him is true!"

Yea.. the fact that people agree with what was written is proof its false!

Anyways, I never use Reddit and am kinda unfamiliar with the format so maybe I missed parts of what was written. I didn't really see where the person was bashing the devs too hard, but maybe its in there. Either way, nothing very specific was said one way or the other.

No, the fact that he does absolutely nothing except repeat the popular opinion of forum haters is proof that it's false. If I was going to do an AMA as an ex-employee, I wouldn't just regurgitate the stuff that's said on forums by people who have zero knowledge of internal Blizzard.

I didn't see a single answer that remotely showed a scrap of insider knowledge, even if it's something as mundane as "Blizzard has fancy coffees every Friday".


No prob! Also, a thing to note about that scoring system...it's pretty fucked up on the internal side. For example: Let's say you really liked your GM, but weren't TOTALLY satisfied enough to give the experience all 5's, so instead you give them all 4's, or maybe some 4's and 5's. Well GMs are graded on how many "perfect survey scores" they get, and are rated with a 1 or 0 point system. Basically if you get all 5's, you get 1 point, and anything else is a 0. Pretty fucked up right? Well if you get too low of an average score per quarter, you have the potential to lose your job. Yeah...and they think this is an improved rating system.


On GM Satisfactions

They do, however it was because of said internships that lead to the release of some project schedules. I don't think they do that anymore, or are at least very choosy.


On Internship hiring

Just 2 of the many answers he gave that provided insight on the innards of Blizzard. Why are you so combatant against believing this was one of the 600 people laid off by Blizzard? I mean, what answers he did give were pretty bland and more personal and not much about Blizzard itself.

this. They have lots of other valuable information as well as stuff that everyone already knows. From reading WolfintheSheep's posts, sounds like he wants more information on par of "yes, titan is about x and y and we did z etc...". The person is respecting the NDA so they are limited to what they can provide but lots of good stuff in there


Let's be clear here. I don't give a damn about insider leaks or learning about top secret information. I'm wondering why a low level grunt is treated like his opinion is fact, and why his word deserves to be treated as anything but biased opinion, if he even is a real ex-employee. It's about credibility and notability, something that has not been remotely shown.

Also...fun fact, his answer toward the GM scoring system contradicts what this guy said. Take either with an absolute grain of salt...though the guy I linked to gives much more detailed answers.

Fair point but I'm mostly reading and seeing what they say, not necessarily taking everything 100% but at the same time, I'm not doubting everything he says. Considering from when I read the whole thing, all I saw was praise for blizzard, some stuff about SCII that we kinda know already, them respecting the NDA and only commenting on what they know otherwise saying I dunno or mentioning what they heard.
Former BW EiC"Watch Bakemonogatari or I will kill you." -Toad, April 18th, 2017
Brian333
Profile Joined August 2010
657 Posts
June 07 2013 09:46 GMT
#158
Having a number of friends who used to work QA at Blizzard because they had some vision of working for Blizzard, they basically all universally admitted to knowing absolutely nothing about Blizzard. They all quit because after a while, they realized that what they were doing was horribly boring, required no real skill or intellect, and ultimately a waste of time. While a rare few actually move up from QA, they still don't contribute much if anything to the actual games.

So I don't believe a thing this guy says.
shadymmj
Profile Joined June 2010
1906 Posts
June 07 2013 09:57 GMT
#159
having played both games I feel that ghostcrawler is a lot more competent than browder (at least, I think it's browder in charge of sc2). okay, so GC may or may not be less likeable as a colleague...I've nothing to say to that. but in terms of gameplay design, GC is willing to make major overhauls to the entire system (e.g. PvP just got another major revamp) for the sake of overall player enjoyment, while browder twiddles his thumbs.

i'm not saying GC is perfect -- I think they're both equally imperfect, but GC at least works on the shortcomings,even if it takes him a while.
There is no such thing is "e-sports". There is Brood War, and then there is crap for nerds.
Grovbolle
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Denmark3815 Posts
June 07 2013 10:25 GMT
#160
So his profile on reddit is deleted.
Lies, damned lies and statistics: http://aligulac.com
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 14 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Afreeca Starleague
10:00
Ro8 Match 4
Leta vs Soulkey
Afreeca ASL 14720
StarCastTV_EN368
Liquipedia
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10:00
Weekly #148 (SHIN Mod Edition)
ByuN vs PercivalLIVE!
TBD vs Krystianer
CranKy Ducklings105
CranKy Ducklings SOOP18
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko191
OGKoka 72
ProTech41
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 10194
Jaedong 5478
EffOrt 2638
BeSt 1085
actioN 845
Killer 666
Soma 602
ZerO 471
Horang2 455
Pusan 448
[ Show more ]
Zeus 237
Stork 216
Rush 173
JYJ 146
Barracks 116
Mong 58
ToSsGirL 55
HiyA 42
Terrorterran 32
Sexy 30
Bale 29
Sharp 26
Shinee 23
sorry 19
NaDa 18
JulyZerg 10
Sacsri 9
Noble 8
Dota 2
Gorgc4723
XaKoH 448
Dendi100
League of Legends
Reynor51
Counter-Strike
kRYSTAL_1
Heroes of the Storm
WinterStarcraft2300
crisheroes2066
Other Games
gofns57288
singsing1409
olofmeister1311
byalli577
Livibee200
Pyrionflax153
ArmadaUGS52
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick491
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream304
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 217
Other Games
BasetradeTV157
StarCraft 2
WardiTV75
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1697
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
12h 47m
Kung Fu Cup
23h 47m
The PondCast
1d 22h
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.