• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:47
CEST 03:47
KST 10:47
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)22Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9355 users

Nobody Plays 1v1 Ladder Anymore? - Page 5

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 84 85 86 Next
Versioned
Profile Joined June 2011
United Kingdom73 Posts
February 13 2012 15:04 GMT
#81
Correct me if I am wrong as I wasn't following the sc1 scene, but I heard the same happened in sc1/sc1:broodwar less and less people played it and switched to just participating to the game as a spectator, maybe a similar thing is happening with this game, it's too early to say though with the expansions coming out etc.
There is a theory which states, that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly dissapear and be replaced by something even more inexplicable. There is another theory that this has already happened.
Artik
Profile Joined October 2010
United States71 Posts
February 13 2012 15:05 GMT
#82
I haven't played 1v1 ladder in a while mostly since every other game I get would be against a cheeser. I mostly just do monobattles or play FFA now when I have a few hours to kill. It also gets to the point in diamond where I need more time than I have available to get any better
Liberate me ex inferis
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
February 13 2012 15:05 GMT
#83
On February 13 2012 23:36 Lorch wrote:
Big game comes out.
Everyone plays it.
Casuals move on.
Slowly but steadily a core of active players remians.

This has happened with every game and will continue to happen. Both expansions will bring a huge boost in activity when a lot of the more casual guys return. Also a lot of people just don't really play 1 v 1 but customs/team games. Plus I'm not sure how accurate these stats even are in the first place, not everyone is listed on sc2ranks, I wasn't till I had to manually add my char.


This sounds about right, but I hope it's not. Getting flashbacks to what happened with WC3. Eventually the community dwindled to just the hardcore players (many of whom switched to ICCup) and people doing stupid strategies and people playing team games. I haven't been on the WC3 battlenet for a long time, but I'm guessing it's pretty lonely these days.

On February 13 2012 23:57 Animzor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 13 2012 23:08 Shockk wrote:
Shameless plug: Maybe it's not ladder anxiety or insufficient motivation causing dropping players numbers, but the general lack of social features and feeling of community in the game?


Yes!

The main problem, I believe, is the custom game system. The custom games in WC3 and BW kept me playing for 10 years even though I wasn't part of any community and I didn't have friends playing. I didn't even touch ladder games until one year before SC2 came out. Unfortunately, in SC2 there's always the same 10 custom maps that you are able to play, the rest just sit there in limbo. I could literally spend and entire day playing custom maps in BW because there was always something new, and even when there wasn't something new, I could always start any map I wanted. When I get sick of playing 1on1s in SC2, there is NOTHING to do. I hate what Blizzard has done to the custom game system.


I think this can have the reverse effect though. Dota pulled a lot of players away from vanilla WC3. Instead of learning a complex game and spending the time to get good, a lot of players just switched over to playing dota because it was easy and simple. Probably one of the reasons I still have a dislike of Dota to this day.
I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
SilverJohnny
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States885 Posts
February 13 2012 15:07 GMT
#84
School for me at least T_T
also i think you should be able to combine like 5 archons to make a really really shitty oliver stone film - Keanu_Reaver, bw balance genius
Glurkenspurk
Profile Joined November 2010
United States1915 Posts
February 13 2012 15:10 GMT
#85
On February 14 2012 00:05 TheToast wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 13 2012 23:36 Lorch wrote:
Big game comes out.
Everyone plays it.
Casuals move on.
Slowly but steadily a core of active players remians.

This has happened with every game and will continue to happen. Both expansions will bring a huge boost in activity when a lot of the more casual guys return. Also a lot of people just don't really play 1 v 1 but customs/team games. Plus I'm not sure how accurate these stats even are in the first place, not everyone is listed on sc2ranks, I wasn't till I had to manually add my char.


This sounds about right, but I hope it's not. Getting flashbacks to what happened with WC3. Eventually the community dwindled to just the hardcore players (many of whom switched to ICCup) and people doing stupid strategies and people playing team games. I haven't been on the WC3 battlenet for a long time, but I'm guessing it's pretty lonely these days.

Show nested quote +
On February 13 2012 23:57 Animzor wrote:
On February 13 2012 23:08 Shockk wrote:
Shameless plug: Maybe it's not ladder anxiety or insufficient motivation causing dropping players numbers, but the general lack of social features and feeling of community in the game?


Yes!

The main problem, I believe, is the custom game system. The custom games in WC3 and BW kept me playing for 10 years even though I wasn't part of any community and I didn't have friends playing. I didn't even touch ladder games until one year before SC2 came out. Unfortunately, in SC2 there's always the same 10 custom maps that you are able to play, the rest just sit there in limbo. I could literally spend and entire day playing custom maps in BW because there was always something new, and even when there wasn't something new, I could always start any map I wanted. When I get sick of playing 1on1s in SC2, there is NOTHING to do. I hate what Blizzard has done to the custom game system.


I think this can have the reverse effect though. Dota pulled a lot of players away from vanilla WC3. Instead of learning a complex game and spending the time to get good, a lot of players just switched over to playing dota because it was easy and simple. Probably one of the reasons I still have a dislike of Dota to this day.



The benefit of WC3 was that it also had a HUGE custom game/casual player scene. In sc2, you pretty much either ladder or play the 10ish terrible custom games on the front page of the custom maps menu.
Hantak
Profile Joined April 2011
Chile59 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-13 15:11:55
February 13 2012 15:11 GMT
#86
you know what...

bye bye sc2 for now...
im itching to play mass effect 3...


liara t'soni here i come! /rawr/
It's getting too hot.
eccokk
Profile Joined September 2011
Germany38 Posts
February 13 2012 15:11 GMT
#87
the game is just too hard to play it on and off, you can not log in and just play to have fun you need to pratice and be in shape otherwise there is no use in playing ( at in least in diamond + ).
if i come home from a long day its nicer to play a game of whatever just to relax instead of getting even more stressed in sc2 1on1. i went from playing a lot to almost nothing becouse the better you get the more time you need to invest to keep your level of mechanics and its just not worth my time.
Garmer
Profile Joined October 2010
1286 Posts
February 13 2012 15:11 GMT
#88
because we need hots, 3 + years for an expansion is ridicolous...
Wrathsc2
Profile Joined March 2011
United States2025 Posts
February 13 2012 15:12 GMT
#89
Every game will fall victim to time. However, SC2 still has many chances to get closest to beating it.
A marine walks into a bar and asks, "Wheres the counter?"
magnaflow
Profile Joined August 2011
Canada1521 Posts
February 13 2012 15:13 GMT
#90
On February 14 2012 00:04 Xcobidoo wrote:
I need stats! Which maps am I good on, which MU's etc. I have no idea why they are so protective of lower league players, I can't even see how many games I've lost?.... really? The maps play a big role aswell, I currently have max maps banned and that leaves like 4-5 to play on, taking into consideration other peoples bans aswell it's like 3 maps constantly.
Also, sc2 without friends is so desolate it's scary...



This so much. What does a lower league player have to strive for other then league promotion? I'm a gold league player, always will be. Would I like to make it to a higher league someday? Sure, but the chances of that happening are slim. Now maybe if I had something else to motivate me to play, maybe I could get better becasue I waould play more.

Stats would surely help me with this. Sure they might not reflect a persons skill but it would motivate me to play. SO my record is 140w-150L my goal for the gaming session would be lets try to break even. If I had a goal other then league promotion I might actually put some serious effort in to try and get better. But right now whats the point?

Battle-net is a barren wasteland of nothing. It's plain and boring.

Ysellian
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands9029 Posts
February 13 2012 15:13 GMT
#91
The lack of good custom game environment means that the people who aren't interested in playing ladder simply fall-off and the people who are interested in ladder get jaded when they reach their skill cap. There is no real sense of progress when you are stuck in the same league for ages with very little information available to you.

This could all be solved by mimicking just about everything from War3. Imagine a Sc2 with weekly tournaments based on your division, a custom game environment that didn't suck and clan support. This game feels so incomplete and having to pay another 80 euro's and wait another 5 years before we get any of this stuff just is so sad.


Sickkiee
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Japan607 Posts
February 13 2012 15:14 GMT
#92
On February 13 2012 23:14 Joseph123 wrote:
1. Perhaps add maps that are worth playing, how am i supposed to ladder a lot when there are 7 maps from which I've banned 3, so I'm playing the same maps over and over again and I don't even like them
Solution: add more maps + more bans.
2. Battle.net is a lonely boring place, all you can do is click find match button and that's all I do. If you want to get involved, you can do that, but that requires a lot of time and effort outside the game to find the people to do so.
Solution: Fix battle.net
3. There are no statistics about your games, just some boring match history that requires so much time to open anyway
Solution: Add more features to 1v1 statistics, I can't think of all of them, but statistics about every maps, every bo, every race, etc.. No, I don't want to use Sc2gears for that.
4. How am i supposed to keep on playing when i get 10 pvp's in a row? I don't care that "this is your luck" or something, I don't have all the time in the world to click the find match button, so if I play 10 games, I want them to be against all races.........................................?
Solution: Fix that.
5. The division system is completely retarded, there isn't a real way to compare yourself to your opponent and to all the people.... Just no comment, you are top1 master in one division, but in other you're like top25. Seriously? What is the point in that? The whole statistics are meaningless, you don't get any information about your skill improvement.
6. Things that compare you to other players such as apm are completely ruined by absolutely no reason, good job Blizzard -1 thing that can compare you to other people.
I can continue, but there is no point, they have shown no intention in making battle.net a place that you can do anything else other than pressing "Find match" and then using 3rd party programs for statistics. So people like me who wanna play maybe 20 games a day are gonna play a lot less, because there is nothing to keep us continuing to play after a long series of pvp's or just nothing happening, just staying at one place, no way to guess after this 20 games, did I improve or not? Did my MMR jump high or not? Of course I'm not able to understand that, because of bonus pool. Well done.


I agree with you 100%. Everything you said is 100% right.

Not to mention the game is just aimed at promotions and well, as you said I could be rank 1 masters in one league, but then be rank 20 in another masters league that is more active.

Lifes too short to be small.
HaXXspetten
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Sweden15718 Posts
February 13 2012 15:14 GMT
#93
I've reached my goals, I don't feel the need to keep laddering anymore, now it's spectating only ftw
ch4ppi
Profile Joined July 2010
Germany802 Posts
February 13 2012 15:14 GMT
#94
I just played 8 games in a row, with 8 different players. Soooo your argument is invalid
iSofisticated
Profile Joined February 2012
United States7 Posts
February 13 2012 15:15 GMT
#95
The lack of a community of SC2 is good for teamliquid for obvious reasons. Honestly I'd be happy with Bnet if it just added lan features. There are already chatrooms, and I think a lot of people on TL.net overlook that fact. There are some good chatrooms where you can find matches and team, whatever. Give it a shot it's actually quite like the old battle.net if you can get over the GUI
Everyone thinks zergs are the only race that burrows. Terran supply depots can burrow!
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46476 Posts
February 13 2012 15:16 GMT
#96
On February 13 2012 23:46 sharky246 wrote:
Does the "BM" in sc2 really count as BM? I mean it's just a sore loser raging over his loss (leaving without gg is not Bm btw), and that kinda makes it a sweet victory. I hardly get any chat, not even gg or glhf. As for a winner's BM, you can just leave the game.


??? Raging over your loss is the epitome of BM. It doesn't matter what game you're playing. If someone calls you a fucking faggot cheesy all-inner noobsauce blah blah blah, it's lovely BM.

But I agree with you that not typing gl or hf or gg isn't BM. Some people take it too far with assuming that not having overly good manners is automatically being bad-mannered lol.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
TenTigers
Profile Joined February 2011
32 Posts
February 13 2012 15:16 GMT
#97
On February 13 2012 23:38 rEalGuapo wrote:

You win, you smile for half a second.
You lose, you hate your stupidity for hours, sometimes days.

Reward/Risk ratio doesn't seem right to me


This is soo true for me, i just dont get the amount of satisfaction after winning a game to outweigh the feeling of disappointment after a loss :s
"I pity the fool that doesn't play terran" - Mr. T
Makura
Profile Joined December 2010
United States317 Posts
February 13 2012 15:16 GMT
#98
Too many convinced themselves that "if I wanted to put enough time into it I could be master/grandmaster but I dont want to and will watch many a stream instead and further strengthen my expertise".

But seriously I suppose many people have found it too stressful/difficult and much rather would enjoy sc2 as a spectator
SHOW THEM WHAT THE CATFISH COMBO IS ALL ABOUT!
Bulkers
Profile Joined September 2010
Poland509 Posts
February 13 2012 15:17 GMT
#99
You cant compared 1 season that was like 5 month long to a 6 week long season 5.

Its also natural that game after 1,5 year will not be played by as many people as at the release.
Ysellian
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands9029 Posts
February 13 2012 15:18 GMT
#100
On February 14 2012 00:16 TenTigers wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 13 2012 23:38 rEalGuapo wrote:

You win, you smile for half a second.
You lose, you hate your stupidity for hours, sometimes days.

Reward/Risk ratio doesn't seem right to me


This is soo true for me, i just dont get the amount of satisfaction after winning a game to outweigh the feeling of disappointment after a loss :s


Another good point as well. Compared to a game like CS where every single kill feels like a reward, SC2 doesn't really reward you much for your efforts at all.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 84 85 86 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 13m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 117
Nina 80
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12889
Rain 2235
Artosis 664
NaDa 21
Dewaltoss 20
Dota 2
monkeys_forever713
NeuroSwarm159
League of Legends
Doublelift5014
Counter-Strike
taco 501
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1612
ArmadaUGS402
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1271
WinterStarcraft471
Other Games
summit1g8826
Day[9].tv698
shahzam695
JimRising 610
PiGStarcraft172
ViBE160
Maynarde157
C9.Mang0135
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick876
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream107
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 120
• davetesta29
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv698
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
8h 13m
OSC
11h 13m
Stellar Fest
11h 13m
OSC
22h 13m
Stellar Fest
1d 11h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.