• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:37
CEST 04:37
KST 11:37
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)25Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BW General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9997 users

Nobody Plays 1v1 Ladder Anymore? - Page 6

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 86 Next
Clbull
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United Kingdom1439 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-13 15:19:26
February 13 2012 15:19 GMT
#101
On February 13 2012 23:03 IOvEggY wrote:
I think there was a really big spurt of
"i wanna be the next best player"

they realize they cant do it(for X reasons)
and become a casual player at best

I think it's because you see how fast you play, then you see how fast a Code B Korean plays.

Then you're like "FUUUUUUUUUUUCK"
InvXXVII
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada242 Posts
February 13 2012 15:19 GMT
#102
Well this season did start around Christmas time runs through the beginning of a new school semester. Maybe that's why?
A good loser is still a loser.
Treehead
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
999 Posts
February 13 2012 15:19 GMT
#103
On February 13 2012 23:08 Shockk wrote:
Shameless plug: Maybe it's not ladder anxiety or insufficient motivation causing dropping players numbers, but the general lack of social features and feeling of community in the game?


This is a really, really good theory. Why did BW capture the attentions of so many for so many years? It was the community, I think, wasn't it?
loleraserheadz112
Profile Joined January 2011
United States63 Posts
February 13 2012 15:21 GMT
#104
The real reason why people do not 1v1 ladder anymore is because the karma in 1v1 is the worst in the entire game. The karma throughout sc2 is very bad in general actually. I would suggest that we try to spread good karma in an attempt to make more people spread more good karma. As a response more people may play more 1v1.

Or Blizzard just made a bad game and people are slowly realizing it and playing games that are better. Which would have to do with the bad karma that Activision imposed on Blizzard that in turn has passed on to its player base. Spread good karma, the Blizzard community is in desperate need.
Insanity is repeating the same task and expecting different results.
Chronald
Profile Joined December 2009
United States619 Posts
February 13 2012 15:21 GMT
#105
Ladder system sucks currently, and that is why most people don't play it.

If you want to get better and have fun at the same time, you play practice matches with friends and practice partners, then enter in tournies to see how good you got.
Got that.
Ballack
Profile Joined April 2010
Norway821 Posts
February 13 2012 15:21 GMT
#106
I've definetely noticed this in EU plat. I can face lots of the same people numerous times per ladder session. It seems to be quite desolate in comparison with how it was the first seasons.
Just when I thought I was out, Blizz pulled me back in..
liberal
Profile Joined November 2011
1116 Posts
February 13 2012 15:24 GMT
#107
On February 13 2012 23:05 Silentenigma wrote:
Because it is not fun to play against abusers BM ers alliners.

Last time I played 99 percent of my games were 1 or 2 base allins(was mid masters).It is almost impossible to play a standard game...I would much rather to play custom games against similar skilled people.

Pretty much this ^

I got so tired of pointless games that weren't even fun, and I quit for a couple weeks. I came back yesterday to ladder, got proxy 2gate rushed, and quit again

It's just so much more fun to play against people you know with obs when you know it will be a real game and not some stupid gimmick that's just gonna stress you out. I always thought that rising higher in master league would mean facing fewer and fewer cheeses and all ins and gimmicky builds or strats, but it feels more gimmicky the higher I go. I mean I've seen people fucking SPAM hellions just so they can suicide them and run around and kill 30 workers. The games a joke to me.
tnud
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Sweden2233 Posts
February 13 2012 15:25 GMT
#108
Heart of the swarm needs to come out already... well it should have actually. It's over 18 months now Blizzard!
- ಠ_ಠ - | disinfect wrote: AHAHHAHAHA 2DG FUCK ME ALREADY.
ishyishy
Profile Joined February 2011
United States826 Posts
February 13 2012 15:25 GMT
#109
I used to play ladder a lot, but now I dont. My reason is because the game got boring, and because I have no real life friends to play it with. I tried to get my friends into it, even bought them the game, and they said it was boring and quit soon after starting. We arent living in 2001 anymore, new games are always filled with storyline and flashy cinematic scenes, multiplayer sc2 doesnt have that. Even WoW requires 25 people to get together to accomplsh something, sc2 doesnt. Sc2 encourages solo play via 1v1.

I think someone else hit it on the head: everyone thought they could be really good at the game and then finally realized that the game is too hard to be good at and quit.
FeyFey
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany10114 Posts
February 13 2012 15:26 GMT
#110
non ... tournament ... maps ... on ... ladder ...
But by far the biggest reason is people got bored of laddering. And there was this star wars game that draws in some people for a month as well. I can imagine myself dropping out after reaching 1000 wins with every race or just terran or when i hit grandmaster after it is being fixed lol.

My favorite post in this thread, i don't play anymore because 99% of the players aren't playing standard!
OhSix
Profile Joined October 2011
United States252 Posts
February 13 2012 15:26 GMT
#111
I still love 1v1. (: I've been on a losing streak for the past few days unfortunately, but hey... Shit happens.

Most of my RL friends have stopped playing. They just think Starcraft 1v1 is too hard I think. Also, they're the kind of people that like to fuck around in custom games, and obviously SC2's custom game system sucks hard. I personally don't really give a shit about doing custom games, just not my cup of tea. Still, it would be cool to see a custom game system that's actually good.

I really hope HOTS will bring a better Bnet. I absolutely love Starcraft 2, but Bnet is pretty lonely. :/
What you preach is worthless, your worship defeat the purpose, like president Bush taking bullets for the secret service.
hzflank
Profile Joined August 2011
United Kingdom2991 Posts
February 13 2012 15:27 GMT
#112
On February 14 2012 00:24 liberal wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 13 2012 23:05 Silentenigma wrote:
Because it is not fun to play against abusers BM ers alliners.

Last time I played 99 percent of my games were 1 or 2 base allins(was mid masters).It is almost impossible to play a standard game...I would much rather to play custom games against similar skilled people.

Pretty much this ^

I got so tired of pointless games that weren't even fun, and I quit for a couple weeks. I came back yesterday to ladder, got proxy 2gate rushed, and quit again

It's just so much more fun to play against people you know with obs when you know it will be a real game and not some stupid gimmick that's just gonna stress you out. I always thought that rising higher in master league would mean facing fewer and fewer cheeses and all ins and gimmicky builds or strats, but it feels more gimmicky the higher I go. I mean I've seen people fucking SPAM hellions just so they can suicide them and run around and kill 30 workers. The games a joke to me.


Why dont you see these gimmicks in high level (pro) games? because the pros can do a combination of small things to counter them / defend themselves. I cant, so I sometimes lose quickly, but if there was no threat of agressive play then what would stop me from double expanding before making any units?

Keeping people honest (threat of aggression to punish greed) is an essential part of the game.
sotaporo
Profile Joined June 2011
Finland195 Posts
February 13 2012 15:30 GMT
#113
did someone actually assume that everyone who bought the game would play it for 10 years?
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46476 Posts
February 13 2012 15:30 GMT
#114
On February 14 2012 00:18 Ysellian wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2012 00:16 TenTigers wrote:
On February 13 2012 23:38 rEalGuapo wrote:

You win, you smile for half a second.
You lose, you hate your stupidity for hours, sometimes days.

Reward/Risk ratio doesn't seem right to me


This is soo true for me, i just dont get the amount of satisfaction after winning a game to outweigh the feeling of disappointment after a loss :s


Another good point as well. Compared to a game like CS where every single kill feels like a reward, SC2 doesn't really reward you much for your efforts at all.


I do agree with this, although I'm not sure how this is a Blizzard problem. We just beat ourselves up more about losses.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
joeschmo
Profile Joined January 2011
United States167 Posts
February 13 2012 15:30 GMT
#115
I quit cause of Protoss
Loxley
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Netherlands2480 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-13 15:31:03
February 13 2012 15:30 GMT
#116
On February 14 2012 00:27 hzflank wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2012 00:24 liberal wrote:
On February 13 2012 23:05 Silentenigma wrote:
Because it is not fun to play against abusers BM ers alliners.

Last time I played 99 percent of my games were 1 or 2 base allins(was mid masters).It is almost impossible to play a standard game...I would much rather to play custom games against similar skilled people.

Pretty much this ^

I got so tired of pointless games that weren't even fun, and I quit for a couple weeks. I came back yesterday to ladder, got proxy 2gate rushed, and quit again

It's just so much more fun to play against people you know with obs when you know it will be a real game and not some stupid gimmick that's just gonna stress you out. I always thought that rising higher in master league would mean facing fewer and fewer cheeses and all ins and gimmicky builds or strats, but it feels more gimmicky the higher I go. I mean I've seen people fucking SPAM hellions just so they can suicide them and run around and kill 30 workers. The games a joke to me.


Why dont you see these gimmicks in high level (pro) games? because the pros can do a combination of small things to counter them / defend themselves. I cant, so I sometimes lose quickly, but if there was no threat of agressive play then what would stop me from double expanding before making any units?

Keeping people honest (threat of aggression to punish greed) is an essential part of the game.


Check game 2 Alive - Idra, NASL showmatch of yday
월요 날 재미있
schimmetje
Profile Joined August 2010
Netherlands1104 Posts
February 13 2012 15:32 GMT
#117
Oh hadn't seen those numbers. It's kind of weird to me, I have a couple of friends who just started playing actually. And yeah they needed a little push to get past the ladder fear but really, I don't believe that's the biggest reason for the drop. If anything ladder annoyance is a much larger contributor. I mean, I still play, but I find it's a lot less as well, mostly due to the all-ins and bm. Now of course, you can go "that's bullshit people enjoy that too" if you're one of those people and I'm sure you're actually quite right, but not everyone does. Guess where the people who don't go?

And of course there's also the issue where Blizzard has to give us something new really, if not for the people still trying to improve then at least for the more casual crowd. But that'll be a bit yet
Change to MY nostalgia? UNACCEPTABLE! Monkey paaaw!
fighter2_40
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States420 Posts
February 13 2012 15:33 GMT
#118
On February 14 2012 00:14 Sickkiee wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 13 2012 23:14 Joseph123 wrote:
1. Perhaps add maps that are worth playing, how am i supposed to ladder a lot when there are 7 maps from which I've banned 3, so I'm playing the same maps over and over again and I don't even like them
Solution: add more maps + more bans.
2. Battle.net is a lonely boring place, all you can do is click find match button and that's all I do. If you want to get involved, you can do that, but that requires a lot of time and effort outside the game to find the people to do so.
Solution: Fix battle.net
3. There are no statistics about your games, just some boring match history that requires so much time to open anyway
Solution: Add more features to 1v1 statistics, I can't think of all of them, but statistics about every maps, every bo, every race, etc.. No, I don't want to use Sc2gears for that.
4. How am i supposed to keep on playing when i get 10 pvp's in a row? I don't care that "this is your luck" or something, I don't have all the time in the world to click the find match button, so if I play 10 games, I want them to be against all races.........................................?
Solution: Fix that.
5. The division system is completely retarded, there isn't a real way to compare yourself to your opponent and to all the people.... Just no comment, you are top1 master in one division, but in other you're like top25. Seriously? What is the point in that? The whole statistics are meaningless, you don't get any information about your skill improvement.
6. Things that compare you to other players such as apm are completely ruined by absolutely no reason, good job Blizzard -1 thing that can compare you to other people.
I can continue, but there is no point, they have shown no intention in making battle.net a place that you can do anything else other than pressing "Find match" and then using 3rd party programs for statistics. So people like me who wanna play maybe 20 games a day are gonna play a lot less, because there is nothing to keep us continuing to play after a long series of pvp's or just nothing happening, just staying at one place, no way to guess after this 20 games, did I improve or not? Did my MMR jump high or not? Of course I'm not able to understand that, because of bonus pool. Well done.


I agree with you 100%. Everything you said is 100% right.

Not to mention the game is just aimed at promotions and well, as you said I could be rank 1 masters in one league, but then be rank 20 in another masters league that is more active.




Very true.

I dont ladder 1v1 because it's lonely, not because the game is too hard. In fact I made masters season 2 just stopped playing ladder after that.

Another reason is that after you make masters it's basically impossible to make grandmasters for the majority of players... and the division between top 8 in a league and top 25 doesn't really mean much due to the randomness between divisions as you pointed out so there is nothing that will act as a visual incentive that people can internalize.
Maggost
Profile Joined August 2011
Venezuela296 Posts
February 13 2012 15:36 GMT
#119
On February 13 2012 23:00 Fossa wrote:
Suggestions:
1. Perhaps figure out a way to reduce ladder fear?


I have the ladder fear, that's why i stopped playing 1v1 because of that (Im in gold btw).
Quote
kankerganker
Profile Joined August 2010
Denmark58 Posts
February 13 2012 15:37 GMT
#120
I don't know if this has been mentioned, didn't read all pages.
imo the reason people stop playing is their mindsets:

Lose game -> I lost because X/Y/Z is broken and unbeatable -> don't improve game, i only lost because of imbalance/lag/whatever -> never get better -> lose more games and eventually stop.

Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 86 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 24m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 162
Nina 101
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 13576
Rain 2153
Dewaltoss 38
NaDa 29
Bale 28
Noble 6
Dota 2
monkeys_forever437
NeuroSwarm172
Counter-Strike
taco 655
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1723
ArmadaUGS277
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1655
WinterStarcraft606
Other Games
summit1g9147
Doublelift3819
JimRising 618
PiGStarcraft344
C9.Mang0201
Maynarde142
ViBE108
ZombieGrub22
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick880
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream141
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 107
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki12
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo348
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
7h 24m
OSC
10h 24m
Stellar Fest
10h 24m
OSC
21h 24m
Stellar Fest
1d 10h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.