• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:47
CEST 03:47
KST 10:47
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)22Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9355 users

Nobody Plays 1v1 Ladder Anymore? - Page 86

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 84 85 86
Account252508
Profile Joined February 2012
3454 Posts
April 19 2012 18:23 GMT
#1701
--- Nuked ---
freetgy
Profile Joined November 2010
1720 Posts
April 19 2012 18:25 GMT
#1702
On April 20 2012 03:10 Tyree wrote:
I am 27, my life is stressful enough as it is. When i come home, when i put my track suit on and listen to some music, the last thing i want to do is get even more stressed by a videogame.

I also do not feel like i have something to prove, i dont measure myself by my achievements, trophies on PSN, or any online ranking league.

So the motivation to play SC2 is at 0%, ill play HotS for the single player and 100-200 online games just to see the units, but ill leave the pros to entertain me when i watch.

Diablo 3 is the oppossite, i dont wanna watch anyone play that, its something i can play in a relaxing manner, take my time and not have to worry about 10 cheese strats, 20 allins, BANSHEE KILLING MAH WORKAS! or anything.


so much this

ItsPondo
Profile Joined April 2012
9 Posts
April 19 2012 18:32 GMT
#1703
What i know from my own experiences is that starcraft 2 obviously takes a lot of time to get better at as you need to improve in everything , it ranges from build learning which takes ages to master there is also analysis of losses which people cant really be " bothered " to do as you need to put so many hours into starcraft 2 when people dont have much time so instead of winning they keep being slaughtered on the ladder. People prefer to watch streams from pros or casts as some prefer watching to playing which is a high percentage.
IMoperator
Profile Joined October 2011
4476 Posts
April 19 2012 18:35 GMT
#1704
I still play, but a lot of my friends quit. They all aspired to be pros, and they thought that they could just play a few games a week and rank up. Once they figured out that you have to actually devote a shit ton of time in order to become good, they gave up and started playing more casual games again (LoL, Call of Duty, WoW etc.). Also, I think many people get up to leagues like diamond and masters and they finally think they're good players, but since they compare themselves to pros and realize how far away they are still to becoming progamers, it discourages them and they quit.
QQKachoo
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States192 Posts
April 19 2012 18:41 GMT
#1705
This has actually been my most active season. But I think the reason for the lack of 1v1 play is the fact that bnet2.0 is not very good. Also the manner that is on the ladder is really aweful.
@QKachoo
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-19 18:47:06
April 19 2012 18:45 GMT
#1706
On April 20 2012 03:23 monkybone wrote:
Wheres the love for the game? Isn't that and self-improvement motivation enough?


Well in my case, I can't justify the time. I am personally dealing with a death in my girlfriend's family and resolving the probate issues, caring for a house, working at a law firm, keeping up with friends and other hobbies I have beyond starcraft 2. Also there is watching all the professional SC2 out there.

I love the game, but I am also an adult and I can't justify playing 21-35 games a week (3-5 games a day) to keep my skills up. I love to improve, but the time is takes is hard to fit into my week.

P.S. The manner on the ladder is terrible as well. The whine is high and muting everyone means that I will never meet anyone cool playing SC2.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
entrust
Profile Joined February 2011
Poland196 Posts
April 19 2012 18:54 GMT
#1707
I played 5000 games, was on top of master and stopped because the game is dull and boring. I was a protoss and the procedure was like this:
Defend your shit whole game until you build a deathball and win.
I just feel this game could be so much better and it's just the way it is. They just gonna provide some more deathball units in HotS, so I'm disappointed by it. Probably gonna buy it, but I just completely lost the passion for the game.
Still I watch some SC2, but much much less than I used to.
MugenXBanksy
Profile Joined April 2011
United States479 Posts
April 19 2012 19:05 GMT
#1708
On April 20 2012 03:41 QQKachoo wrote:
This has actually been my most active season. But I think the reason for the lack of 1v1 play is the fact that bnet2.0 is not very good. Also the manner that is on the ladder is really aweful.



didn't i beat you one ladder like a couple weeks ago you did some kind of wierd ultra ling infestor then on entomber valley and took hidden bases, I played protoss. I sadly haven't been wasting time on lol because friends and my affintity to bm kids in lol cause they are bad. makes my mechanincs soo bad D:
we all hope to be like whitera one day
EoGorz
Profile Joined February 2012
Canada9 Posts
April 19 2012 20:21 GMT
#1709
the fact pf the matter is people are not enjoying sc2. If you enj oy the game you will play it. If you work on your skills they will improve. I started in bronze learned to get better, and was silver by the next season. Kept practising and made gold a week later. Felt like i wasnt getting anywhere because i was losing so much, went back and practised more not caring about rank, and boom plat this season. Lost 8 in a row, found some guys to practise with and boom 16-4 number2 plat.

point is if you actually enjoy the game you will learn to get better. That itself is rewarding enough to ladder
Ktk
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Korea (South)753 Posts
April 19 2012 20:30 GMT
#1710
On April 20 2012 03:54 entrust wrote:
I played 5000 games, was on top of master and stopped because the game is dull and boring. I was a protoss and the procedure was like this:
Defend your shit whole game until you build a deathball and win.
I just feel this game could be so much better and it's just the way it is. They just gonna provide some more deathball units in HotS, so I'm disappointed by it. Probably gonna buy it, but I just completely lost the passion for the game.
Still I watch some SC2, but much much less than I used to.


Maybe a race change if you're bored of Protoss?

People are realizing that grinding RTS isn't for them, there's nothing you can really do about that.

Strategies that are kinda one-dimensional don't really help either. :[

But we might see numbers tick up during the summer since a lot of people who play SC2 are in HS/college.
xrapture
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States1644 Posts
April 19 2012 20:31 GMT
#1711
None of my friends stuck to playing SC2 because it took too long and it was too hard to become decent at the game.

Can't blame them for moving on to other games like LoL; this is a video game afterall and meant for entertainment. SC2 caters more to the "tryhard" community than the ones that just want to have fun.

Everyone is either delusional, a nihlilst, or dead from suicide.
Penecks
Profile Joined August 2010
United States600 Posts
April 19 2012 21:17 GMT
#1712
Some people mentioned MMOs a while back, I actually see many qualities of them in SC2, not at the pro level mind you, but at the top of the "casual" level, mid-high masters players.

How many times have you ended a game, thought, "hm that was a pretty cheesy strat he used, I wonder if he's done it before". Check opponents match history: he plays 25 games a day using the exact same strat (one he does regardless of opponents reaction). I mean that's just... not impressive at all, its basically like someone getting to max level in wow by killing NPCs over and over, the game below the pro level is almost like trying to follow a damn shopping list, and whoever fucks up first, will probably lose.
straight poppin
noD
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
2230 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-19 21:47:58
April 19 2012 21:44 GMT
#1713
1v1 in solitude is not fun
they should do matchmaking make leagues invisible and just show the mmr (if ur from range z to y u are grandmaster but whatever) else no one that isnt pro will play anymore....

edit :

that


On April 20 2012 03:10 Tyree wrote:
I am 27, my life is stressful enough as it is. When i come home, when i put my track suit on and listen to some music, the last thing i want to do is get even more stressed by a videogame.

I also do not feel like i have something to prove, i dont measure myself by my achievements, trophies on PSN, or any online ranking league.

So the motivation to play SC2 is at 0%, ill play HotS for the single player and 100-200 online games just to see the units, but ill leave the pros to entertain me when i watch.

Diablo 3 is the oppossite, i dont wanna watch anyone play that, its something i can play in a relaxing manner, take my time and not have to worry about 10 cheese strats, 20 allins, BANSHEE KILLING MAH WORKAS! or anything.

DarenZou
Profile Joined April 2012
United States2 Posts
April 19 2012 21:56 GMT
#1714
How much of the decrease in players are players who are fairly inactive to begin with? That is harder to determine but I imagine a big part of it.
mantequilla
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
Turkey781 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-20 03:26:48
June 20 2012 03:12 GMT
#1715
Because of early game's being too "strategic" and build orders being too rock-paper-scissors. Before starting starcraft, me and my friends used to play Age of Mythology a lot. It's not a game as professional as starcraft but it's a rts. We didn't join serious tournaments but we were pretty good players. The reason to start starcraft is it's being the most quality rts around. Problem with starcraft is that players getting the game too seriously. You watch a tournament and start meddling around build orders even you are in silver league. Then, game starts to be more of a "job" rather than being fun, because everyone can learn a "2 stalker rush" from teamliquid wiki and execute it in a match (rather sloppily). To beat him, you have to scout and you have to know he's doing 2 stalker rush and you have to know what build order counters it. This is too much "strategy" for a casual player and you start to play custom games, where you feel more free to play as you like, but it's not because you either play against a way much skilled player than you that you can't do anything, or you play against a very new player and it doesn't matter how you play at all.

Believe it or not, even starcraft is considered a very professional game, the people that consists most of the community are casual players and I believe the game must be more friendly with them. Here is the suggestions to do it: Build orders should not counter each other too harshly. Sure you should be able to gain an advantage with a correct build order but it shouldn't make you win outright. Game should be more about general strategy and skill rather than build orders. Like faking an attack from one side and attacking from another, or drawing attention somewhere and making a drop. And all of the cheesy builds are way easier to execute than to defend. In most of casual rts games, you should be more skilful than your opponent to catch him by surprise. Starcraft is more about knowing build orders and crisp execution rather than creativity.
Age of Mythology forever!
papaz
Profile Joined December 2009
Sweden4149 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-20 06:13:50
June 20 2012 06:13 GMT
#1716
On April 20 2012 03:10 Tyree wrote:
I am 27, my life is stressful enough as it is. When i come home, when i put my track suit on and listen to some music, the last thing i want to do is get even more stressed by a videogame.

I also do not feel like i have something to prove, i dont measure myself by my achievements, trophies on PSN, or any online ranking league.

So the motivation to play SC2 is at 0%, ill play HotS for the single player and 100-200 online games just to see the units, but ill leave the pros to entertain me when i watch.

Diablo 3 is the oppossite, i dont wanna watch anyone play that, its something i can play in a relaxing manner, take my time and not have to worry about 10 cheese strats, 20 allins, BANSHEE KILLING MAH WORKAS! or anything.


I agree with this, I'm in the same position in life.

I also play Diablo 3 becaue it is a lot more relaxing.

However if you are competitive you want to play something where improvement matters. And that's what SC2 is to me.

In Diablo 3, I have a sandwich in my hand and just mindlessly clicking. Is it fun, hell yeah. But it gets boring quite fast because of the mindless nature of the game or the whole genre.

I always get a itch for hitting the "find match" button on SC2 ladder where I need to focus and do my best
Rainbow Cuddles
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States486 Posts
June 20 2012 08:42 GMT
#1717
On April 20 2012 03:10 Tyree wrote:
I am 27, my life is stressful enough as it is. When i come home, when i put my track suit on and listen to some music, the last thing i want to do is get even more stressed by a videogame.

I also do not feel like i have something to prove, i dont measure myself by my achievements, trophies on PSN, or any online ranking league.

So the motivation to play SC2 is at 0%, ill play HotS for the single player and 100-200 online games just to see the units, but ill leave the pros to entertain me when i watch.

Diablo 3 is the oppossite, i dont wanna watch anyone play that, its something i can play in a relaxing manner, take my time and not have to worry about 10 cheese strats, 20 allins, BANSHEE KILLING MAH WORKAS! or anything.


This problem is magnified 10 fold in Master's League. ~_~

I've 'quit' Starcraft nearly 3 times now because of this problem. Sadly, it keeps drawing me back because no other game is nearly as competitive right now.

Hopefully Planetside 2 will add some spice to the mix, but I doubt it.
Prev 1 84 85 86
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 13m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 117
Nina 80
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12889
Rain 2235
Artosis 664
NaDa 21
Dewaltoss 20
Dota 2
monkeys_forever713
NeuroSwarm159
League of Legends
Doublelift5014
Counter-Strike
taco 501
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1612
ArmadaUGS402
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1271
WinterStarcraft471
Other Games
summit1g8826
Day[9].tv698
shahzam695
JimRising 610
PiGStarcraft172
ViBE160
Maynarde157
C9.Mang0135
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick876
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream107
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 120
• davetesta29
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv698
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
8h 13m
OSC
11h 13m
Stellar Fest
11h 13m
OSC
22h 13m
Stellar Fest
1d 11h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.