• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:47
CEST 03:47
KST 10:47
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)22Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9355 users

Nobody Plays 1v1 Ladder Anymore? - Page 85

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 83 84 85 86 Next
Sophia
Profile Joined April 2012
Germany115 Posts
April 19 2012 08:58 GMT
#1681
The problem with ladder is: There is no point in laddering at low levels. It doesn't make a difference if I'm in Gold or Diamond and the games I play are more frustrating then fun most of the times.
Blizzard should add something that gives you a little motivation. Something other than "Win 1000 1v1 Games for PortraitX" -_-

On April 19 2012 17:50 Cubu wrote:
They should do what lol is doing and provide character skin. Like giving out 'blizzard points' and then providing a shop where you can purchase a marauder in santa claws clothes or a stalker that moves on wheels, something like that.


Not funny.
EleanorRIgby
Profile Joined March 2008
Canada3923 Posts
April 19 2012 09:01 GMT
#1682
i think a lot of people are just waiting for the expo. New campaign and mission new units new achievements ect....
savior did nothing wrong
Heouf
Profile Joined March 2012
Netherlands787 Posts
April 19 2012 09:03 GMT
#1683
I stopped playing long time ago. I only find myself raging at people cause I find it funny and don't pay attention to the game. My mechanics are bad. So I rather typ in chat how great the other player is and calling him nice names. Then hoping he will bm me so that I can bm back with narly stuff and then you can see him overreact. And then I am having a big laugh. That is the reason why I sometimes play SC2. Like in one day a month a play a couple of games and lose them all so that I can have some fun. And I haven't been banned so I think the things I do isn't that severe.
Gokba Alhakel
Space Invader
Profile Joined September 2010
Australia291 Posts
April 19 2012 09:11 GMT
#1684
hmm, not sure how you can say laddering is too stressful. it's a game, it's exactly as stressful as you make it be.

people have some mindset that laddering should be no cheese, no allin, well, you need to face reality and don't be so concerned about how the other person plays, just try to beat them no matter what ... this is idra mentality, getting so frustrated because you lose to someone you think is worse than you. except, on a pro thats fair, on some casual ladder newbie, wtf ?
I may be of thome athithtanthe if there ith a thudden crithith!
ImGonnaRideYou
Profile Joined July 2010
53 Posts
April 19 2012 13:19 GMT
#1685
Sc2 was built to be competitive and a somewhat high skill curve. I don't understand how some of you are convinced that HotS will change this aspect. Within the leagues and ranks, for every #1 there has to be a #100 and for every #25 there has to be a #75.

As with everything competition,

Don't play the chessboard, play the man.
Don't play the basketball hoop, play the man.
Don't play the starcraft game, play the man.

Everyone ready to win but defeat is inevitable.
Lasbike
Profile Joined January 2011
France2888 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-19 13:21:34
April 19 2012 13:21 GMT
#1686
Edit : Nothing.
-Celestial-
Profile Joined September 2011
United Kingdom3867 Posts
April 19 2012 14:08 GMT
#1687
On April 19 2012 15:03 phyre112 wrote:
Quite simply, I don't enjoy playing the game.

I like watching - I even stay up late some nights to watch the GSL. But playing endless 1v1's is not immersive, not competitive yet neither is it relaxing. There is little point in winning, and even less point in losing, because once you do win or lose it's simply a matter of "on to the next one" - records are not counted, tournaments are not held, there is no pride on the line, it's an anonymous game that you play by yourself, in your room when everyone else is too busy to hang out with.


Have to agree with this. The whole process is just stressful. Theres no particular enjoyment in most games, even the wins. Its just grinding out results to try and improve and every single moment in the game is just basically fraught with grief. I didn't even consciously choose to "quit", I just stopped playing aside from the odd 4v4; at the time I figured it was just because ME3 had come out and I'd be back but theres no draw or motivation for doing so really.

The payoff is flat out not worth the stress; and there is nothing to mitigate that stress in any way. The BNET2.0 system is awful so its not particularly social, so its not worth me coming off various forums and twitter to chat to people on there. The game isn't particularly fun to play in most cases because there are some things that if you make a mistake with them you just instantly die (one misplaced forcefield can literally be game-ending for a Protoss, for example). Ok, not every case; I had an epic 40-minute PvP a little while back which was immensely satisfying but games like that are few and far between, usually you just die by screwing up something small (no detection? Oops, DTs or cloakshees. Miss a forcefield or storm? You're dead). I'd rather play 4v4, at least then you can have a laugh over it with some other people. And there isn't much point in putting effort into learning it other than to get a slightly different shiny badge by your name unless you genuinely want to be a pro-gamer. Nor is there any meaningful competitive element outside the very top.

There just isn't anything to make it worth all that stress.
"Protoss simultaneously feels unbeatably strong and unwinnably weak." - kcdc
Twistacles
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Canada1327 Posts
April 19 2012 14:34 GMT
#1688
I'm just gonna pipe in here and say that I'm laddering more than I ever have. With the amt of people still playing the game I don't think im a minority, either.

It's more fun cause I seem to actually face Terrans this season and I <3 TvT.
"If you don't give a shit which gum you buy, get stride" - Tyler
Asfano
Profile Joined February 2011
Norway17 Posts
April 19 2012 14:36 GMT
#1689
I think more people will start to play again when summer vaction rolls around. Most people who play are students anyway
Watch my stream and follow my progress to korean micro and skills
EmilA
Profile Joined October 2010
Denmark4618 Posts
April 19 2012 14:42 GMT
#1690
Took me 5 seasons to get past ladder fear, though I hope the next patch brings cooler interface stuff. Such a shame Bnet wasnt good to begin with, it could really have kept many players around.
http://dotabuff.com/players/122305951 playing other games
Laids
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom596 Posts
April 19 2012 14:44 GMT
#1691
I took a month long break back in season 3 after getting into gold after a lot of hard work. I came back and was playing badly, I realised that taking breaks in SC2 is bad and that you will be punished for it. So yeah I stopped caring and quit playing SC2.

You have to play almost every day to stay in shape at a gold level, I can't imagine how bad it is at masters.
Namu
Profile Joined February 2011
United States826 Posts
April 19 2012 15:18 GMT
#1692
On April 19 2012 23:44 Laids wrote:
I took a month long break back in season 3 after getting into gold after a lot of hard work. I came back and was playing badly, I realised that taking breaks in SC2 is bad and that you will be punished for it. So yeah I stopped caring and quit playing SC2.

You have to play almost every day to stay in shape at a gold level, I can't imagine how bad it is at masters.


That's true for a lot of things though. Most competitive natured things, whether it be gaming, sport, etc, require constant practice. I don't know about a month though. Because SC2 doesn't require much mechanics, you should be able to recover from a month long break within a week.
Laids
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom596 Posts
April 19 2012 16:02 GMT
#1693
That's true for a lot of things though. Most competitive natured things, whether it be gaming, sport, etc, require constant practice. I don't know about a month though. Because SC2 doesn't require much mechanics, you should be able to recover from a month long break within a week.


Believe me I've tried several times to get back on the horse, it's the frustration of feeling like I'm being held back by my inability to remember how to move my hands quickly and accurately enough to play how I want to. I'm going to commit a week to just sc2 sometime before HotS to get in shape, It pisses me off to no end, I should be in diamond with the way I was playing.
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
April 19 2012 16:36 GMT
#1694
On April 19 2012 23:08 Lightspeaker wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2012 15:03 phyre112 wrote:
Quite simply, I don't enjoy playing the game.

I like watching - I even stay up late some nights to watch the GSL. But playing endless 1v1's is not immersive, not competitive yet neither is it relaxing. There is little point in winning, and even less point in losing, because once you do win or lose it's simply a matter of "on to the next one" - records are not counted, tournaments are not held, there is no pride on the line, it's an anonymous game that you play by yourself, in your room when everyone else is too busy to hang out with.


Have to agree with this. The whole process is just stressful. Theres no particular enjoyment in most games, even the wins. Its just grinding out results to try and improve and every single moment in the game is just basically fraught with grief. I didn't even consciously choose to "quit", I just stopped playing aside from the odd 4v4; at the time I figured it was just because ME3 had come out and I'd be back but theres no draw or motivation for doing so really.

The payoff is flat out not worth the stress; and there is nothing to mitigate that stress in any way. The BNET2.0 system is awful so its not particularly social, so its not worth me coming off various forums and twitter to chat to people on there. The game isn't particularly fun to play in most cases because there are some things that if you make a mistake with them you just instantly die (one misplaced forcefield can literally be game-ending for a Protoss, for example). Ok, not every case; I had an epic 40-minute PvP a little while back which was immensely satisfying but games like that are few and far between, usually you just die by screwing up something small (no detection? Oops, DTs or cloakshees. Miss a forcefield or storm? You're dead). I'd rather play 4v4, at least then you can have a laugh over it with some other people. And there isn't much point in putting effort into learning it other than to get a slightly different shiny badge by your name unless you genuinely want to be a pro-gamer. Nor is there any meaningful competitive element outside the very top.

There just isn't anything to make it worth all that stress.


I think this is a problem with Bnet 2.0 and the fact that the ranked ladder is also the only match making. Players cannot be matched with other players of similar skill without having their "rank" and ladder standing up for grabs. This means that there is no way for players to easily practice new things without riskings being demoted when they are hashing out a new build.

Though this may not matter for masters players, or people who don't care about rank, it does have an effect on most players. From personal experience, I tried to wrap my head around the PvZ - Void ray, + 1 zealot timing that became popular a few months ago. It is not a hard build, but has some tight timings with chrono boost and a need for some quick decision making. While learning this I lost a TON of games PvZ for silly reasons, was mocked by my opponents and generally felt that I would have won games if I had just done what had always worked for me. But at time went on, I got the build down and it is another tool in my belt. I didn't go up in rank or anything, but I did feel like I had improved some of my skills in SC2.

But all of that is a lot to ask of casual players. I enjoy learning new builds, but the effort involved and the tolerance that I have for stupid losses are both very high. I have been the same rank for about 6 months and I feel I could sharpen my skills to be promoted, but the amount of time required would be more than I currently have. Maybe I will jump back in, but right now, I have to much on my plate. Maybe in a few months or when the HotS beta comes out.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Jisira
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
470 Posts
April 19 2012 16:52 GMT
#1695
I like laddering. I have my macro-oriented openings set (Hatch first ZvZ etc), whatever I get to face it prepares me to defend against it the next game I face the same tactic. I try to force a longer game by being intimidatingly greedy, and I have a positive win-ratio by doing it.

Blaming myself for a loss on the ladder isn't that hard. I just need to play more to get better.

However, I do agree with that SC2 is hardly as social as BW. It takes much more incentive to find an active chat-room, and the game does nothing to encourage it. The Bnet 2.0-interface was a step down and I think I would have more fun with more player interaction.

Custom games are generally more constructive, and whenever they occur I generally get to discuss what I do with my opponent, communicating on ladder is generally hard without being BM'd.
johnny123
Profile Joined February 2012
521 Posts
April 19 2012 16:52 GMT
#1696
On April 20 2012 00:18 Namu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2012 23:44 Laids wrote:
I took a month long break back in season 3 after getting into gold after a lot of hard work. I came back and was playing badly, I realised that taking breaks in SC2 is bad and that you will be punished for it. So yeah I stopped caring and quit playing SC2.

You have to play almost every day to stay in shape at a gold level, I can't imagine how bad it is at masters.


That's true for a lot of things though. Most competitive natured things, whether it be gaming, sport, etc, require constant practice. I don't know about a month though. Because SC2 doesn't require much mechanics, you should be able to recover from a month long break within a week.


Im curious why you are not competing in the gsl, from the sound of it, your mechanics must be godly.
Favorite players,Stephano/MVP/Nestea/Gumiho/Life/Jaedong/MMA
Fliparoni
Profile Joined February 2012
205 Posts
April 19 2012 18:05 GMT
#1697
For all those that are saying that ladder is the only way to practice new strategies,etc, have none of you guys ever tried playing custom 1v1's? You don't need to have any friends to play those. The couple maps that are on the front page of the melee section of customs (shattered temple, daybreak le) have tons of random people that join the game constantly. Granted, the skill of people that join those games varies wildly so sometimes you get to play high diamond to high masters people or sometimes people in the practice league join. Just check their profile first while the game is counting down to start to see if you want to play with them.

Whenever I don't feel like laddering due to being tired after a full day of classes or work but still want to practice my 1v1 skills, that's what I do. I just grind out tons of games on Daybreak and Shattered Temple. Korhal Compound and Cloud Kingdom have sunk to the 2nd page now that Daybreak LE was released but you can still get to play games on those albeit people don't join those maps as quick anymore as ST or Daybreak.
Tyree
Profile Joined November 2010
1508 Posts
April 19 2012 18:10 GMT
#1698
I am 27, my life is stressful enough as it is. When i come home, when i put my track suit on and listen to some music, the last thing i want to do is get even more stressed by a videogame.

I also do not feel like i have something to prove, i dont measure myself by my achievements, trophies on PSN, or any online ranking league.

So the motivation to play SC2 is at 0%, ill play HotS for the single player and 100-200 online games just to see the units, but ill leave the pros to entertain me when i watch.

Diablo 3 is the oppossite, i dont wanna watch anyone play that, its something i can play in a relaxing manner, take my time and not have to worry about 10 cheese strats, 20 allins, BANSHEE KILLING MAH WORKAS! or anything.
★ Top Gun ★
MugenXBanksy
Profile Joined April 2011
United States479 Posts
April 19 2012 18:12 GMT
#1699
On April 19 2012 17:01 Morfildur wrote:
Ladder is too depressing, i lose all the time. Losing is no fun
I have 11 days vacation starting this weekend which i plan to use to play 10+ games a day, hopefully enough to get back to diamond.

SC2 ladder is really hard on those that don't have much time for practice, everyone is improving so rapidly that you just can't keep up on 10 games a week, which results in demotivating demotions and constant loss streaks whenever you return to play because all your opponents practiced in the days you couldn't/didn't play.

Well... there are always monobattles for me


bump it to 20 a day win or lose but just do it, its good for you. Especially if you are on vacation and have less distractions then normal.
we all hope to be like whitera one day
MugenXBanksy
Profile Joined April 2011
United States479 Posts
April 19 2012 18:21 GMT
#1700

On April 20 2012 00:18 Namu wrote:
That's true for a lot of things though. Most competitive natured things, whether it be gaming, sport, etc, require constant practice. I don't know about a month though. Because SC2 doesn't require much mechanics, you should be able to recover from a month long break within a week.


Is this guy a troll? Maybe if you played 8hrs everyday for the last 2 years maybe and even then you would have subdued mechanics..... That statement only works with LoL as there is no mechanics aside from click on the creep for money now and thats a joke in that game.

we all hope to be like whitera one day
Prev 1 83 84 85 86 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 13m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 117
Nina 80
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12889
Rain 2235
Artosis 664
NaDa 21
Dewaltoss 20
Dota 2
monkeys_forever713
NeuroSwarm159
League of Legends
Doublelift5014
Counter-Strike
taco 501
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1612
ArmadaUGS402
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1271
WinterStarcraft471
Other Games
summit1g8826
Day[9].tv698
shahzam695
JimRising 610
PiGStarcraft172
ViBE160
Maynarde157
C9.Mang0135
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick876
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream107
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 120
• davetesta29
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv698
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
8h 13m
OSC
11h 13m
Stellar Fest
11h 13m
OSC
22h 13m
Stellar Fest
1d 11h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.