• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:06
CEST 22:06
KST 05:06
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20267Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
[Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8560 users

Multiple 1v1 ranks and the future of the ladder - Page 16

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 14 15 16 17 18 20 Next All
Nyle
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada3 Posts
October 13 2011 19:07 GMT
#301
I would like a ranked ladder for each race. That way I could actually practice my Protoss and Terran versus correctly matched opponents. You can of course just play custom games but the variation in skill is GIANT! I rarely get matched up versus opponents with a similar skill level to me.

But if you want purely "fun" games, then I think custom games are the way to go as opposed to an unranked ladder.
Zabedisi
Profile Joined March 2011
88 Posts
October 13 2011 19:10 GMT
#302
Blizzard would lose revenue from people who buy smurf accounts.
/thread
The man with no imagination has no wings
FuzzyJAM
Profile Joined July 2010
Scotland9300 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-13 19:15:59
October 13 2011 19:15 GMT
#303
On October 14 2011 01:29 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 13 2011 23:36 FuzzyJAM wrote:
Some people just need to man the fuck up. It's a rank. It goes up and down. Deal with it.


How the hell is this even relevant?

If there was a ladder ranking for each race, then each 1v1 ladder would go up and down as you played on each of your Protoss, Zerg, Terran, and Random 1v1 ladders.

What the current set-up is doing is forcing us to stick with our current race, because we've already invested a lot of time and effort into getting to our current league as one race, and it would be silly to fall all the way back down on the same ladder just to re-learn a new race.

If I'm master league Protoss and have never played a 1v1 game as Terran or Zerg, how do I start? How do I learn? Do I throw a hundred straight games to get knocked down to silver? And then what happens if I want to play as Protoss again?

Saying "man the fuck up" isn't an argument. It's just you sounding like you didn't even read the OP.

I read the OP. It talked about stress being the reason for needing a "just for fun" ladder account. Nothing to do with different races. If you need to have a "just for fun" account so you're not stressed because of "ladder anxiety" then you need to get over yourself.

Wanting different rankings for different races is obviously very different and, I think, entirely reasonable. I guess I should have been clearer that I wasn't directing my post at people who want that, though I thought it was obvious given the content.
Did you ever say Yes to a single joy?
Deadlyfish
Profile Joined August 2010
Denmark1980 Posts
October 13 2011 19:17 GMT
#304
On October 14 2011 04:06 Shiladie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 14 2011 03:00 Roxy wrote:
I would love it if they introduced some sort of practice 1v1 type thing where I could chose to play 1v1 PvT (always PvT) against someone with comparable MMR to me

After getting my terran down pact, i could then do a ton of PvZ


I agree completely with this!
A league that tracks MMR but nothing else, and lets you choose what matchup you play. Also don't include the wins in achievements and such (to prevent people from just playing tonnes of games on it)
it would then let you practice that matchup you're having problems with, or play when drunk/high/tired without risking tanking your normal 1v1 rating.

possibly track each matchup differently in MMR for this league, so you're always playing somebody else exactly your skill level in each matchup, which is the best environment to improve in.


The problem i see with this is that then people will play the ladder less. It's in blizzards best interest to keep the ladder alive and competitive. If you allow people to play vs other similar MMR opponents then the ladder becomes less competitive.
If wishes were horses we'd be eating steak right now.
BeeNu
Profile Joined June 2011
615 Posts
October 13 2011 20:17 GMT
#305
I really dislike the feeling that I'm totally pigeonholed into playing one race all the time. My Terran and Protoss are awful compared to my Zerg and I basically have no way to reasonably practice the other races. Sure I can play T or P at like a diamond level but what, am I just supposed to lose a bunch of games and get demoted so I can figure out the basics of the other races? Great, now what? Now if I want to play as Zerg I just get stupid easy wins because I'm playing in a league too low? Well fantastic, now what happens is I can't actually practice playing Zerg at a reasonable level.

Honestly I think it's a joke how absolutely restrictive Bnet 2.0 is, can't ladder with different MMRs, can't change names, can't reasonably host new custom games, can't watch replays with other people. Hurray for Blizzard.
Keitzer
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2509 Posts
October 13 2011 20:22 GMT
#306
Questions:
1. Does blizzard have the server room for it?
2. Is it worth the trouble of implementing something of this nature?
3. Would you want to extend this into 2s/3s/4s?
4. Would be able to get Grand Master with multiple races?
5. Would be able to get into the same division with multiple races?

Now some interesting points:
1. It would 100% surely promote more off-racing and laddering.
2. You could claim yourself as a Master of all races.
3. It would be a better determination of one's skill (Oh, he's Master's with Zerg but only Bronze with protoss? no wonder we lost that 3v3).

Interesting idea, but there's many open ends (hence why it hasn't been done yet)
I'm like badass squared | KeitZer.489
Cajun2k1
Profile Joined May 2010
Netherlands399 Posts
October 13 2011 20:25 GMT
#307
On October 14 2011 04:10 Zabedisi wrote:
Blizzard would lose revenue from people who buy smurf accounts.
/thread


I really wonder if the percentage of people who buy smurf-accounts exceeds 1% or is so large that Blizz would feel something if people would stop buying multiple accounts.
How can you kill, that which has no life?
how2TL
Profile Joined August 2010
1197 Posts
October 13 2011 20:27 GMT
#308
If UserName.Zerg was a different ladder entry than UserName.Protoss, it would just be if the current ladder had 4 times the population.

Same system, more ladder entries. How hard is that?

Assuming half the ladder population from Season 1 is already gone, there's plenty of room. There's no need for extension or server room or whatever bullshit you're making up.
Chezus
Profile Joined January 2011
Netherlands427 Posts
October 13 2011 20:32 GMT
#309
On October 14 2011 05:22 Keitzer wrote:
Questions:
1. Does blizzard have the server room for it?
2. Is it worth the trouble of implementing something of this nature?
3. Would you want to extend this into 2s/3s/4s?
4. Would be able to get Grand Master with multiple races?
5. Would be able to get into the same division with multiple races?

Now some interesting points:
1. It would 100% surely promote more off-racing and laddering.
2. You could claim yourself as a Master of all races.
3. It would be a better determination of one's skill (Oh, he's Master's with Zerg but only Bronze with protoss? no wonder we lost that 3v3).

Interesting idea, but there's many open ends (hence why it hasn't been done yet)


1. Definitely.
2. If enough people want it.
3. It already is, in a way. Because you can have multiple teams. I wouldn't extend it beyond that.
4. Of course. If anyone manages to do so and actually manages to stay in GM with the bonus pool requirements, etc, it is an achievement in itself.
5. Probably yes, but what are the chances of that happening? There isn't really a downside to this.

Mr42
Profile Joined March 2010
Slovakia18 Posts
October 13 2011 20:43 GMT
#310
Part of me wants ranking per race, but something like "unranked" automatchmaking would probably be the best way. Behind the scenes it could still actually be ranked (utilizing and even changing your "Ranked" MMR), but people wouldn't stress out about their ladder points so much... maybe.
ejozl
Profile Joined October 2010
Denmark3555 Posts
October 13 2011 20:47 GMT
#311
I actually agree with what some people are saying.
Every matchup should have it's own MMR.
If my PvP is 10% better than my PvZ, then why shouldn't i meet better Protoss players, than Zerg players.

And same for if i played other races ofcourse. If this was the case, i wouldn't really care about league&ranking.
SC2 Archon needs "Terrible, terrible damage" as one of it's quotes.
nvs.
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada3609 Posts
October 13 2011 20:49 GMT
#312
One for each race please! WOULD BE NICE.
branflakes14
Profile Joined July 2010
2082 Posts
October 13 2011 20:50 GMT
#313
On October 14 2011 04:10 Zabedisi wrote:
Blizzard would lose revenue from people who buy smurf accounts.
/thread


I don't own shares in Blizzard, so I don't give a damn.
F4ble
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Norway73 Posts
October 13 2011 20:53 GMT
#314
After having bought maybe plenty of EA games over the years I can honestly say that I don't have a single problem with Blizzard. I can understand some people having well founded issues with some of the things Blizzard does, but wth.. you can't please everyone.

And why on earth would I like several rankings? Deal with it. Play customs/2v2+ if you don't want the stress. You want a cozy RTS? Play Age of Empires.

The thing I like the most about SC2 is that the chances of making it to the top are slim to none for most of us and it requires a shitload of work. As it should be for a competitive game. There are plenty of casual games out there if you don't like it.
Check out clash.gg for smart and organized list of vods for GSL, SPL, Dreamhack, LoL and more.
rd
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States2586 Posts
October 13 2011 20:56 GMT
#315
On October 14 2011 05:53 F4ble wrote:
After having bought maybe plenty of EA games over the years I can honestly say that I don't have a single problem with Blizzard. I can understand some people having well founded issues with some of the things Blizzard does, but wth.. you can't please everyone.

And why on earth would I like several rankings? Deal with it. Play customs/2v2+ if you don't want the stress. You want a cozy RTS? Play Age of Empires.

The thing I like the most about SC2 is that the chances of making it to the top are slim to none for most of us and it requires a shitload of work. As it should be for a competitive game. There are plenty of casual games out there if you don't like it.


What did anything you said have to do with...well...anything?
Paperplane
Profile Joined March 2011
Netherlands1823 Posts
October 13 2011 20:57 GMT
#316
I'd like two at least. One for my main and one for offraces. It's not a big deal but would be a nice treat.
branflakes14
Profile Joined July 2010
2082 Posts
October 13 2011 20:58 GMT
#317
On October 14 2011 05:56 Tyrant0 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 14 2011 05:53 F4ble wrote:
After having bought maybe plenty of EA games over the years I can honestly say that I don't have a single problem with Blizzard. I can understand some people having well founded issues with some of the things Blizzard does, but wth.. you can't please everyone.

And why on earth would I like several rankings? Deal with it. Play customs/2v2+ if you don't want the stress. You want a cozy RTS? Play Age of Empires.

The thing I like the most about SC2 is that the chances of making it to the top are slim to none for most of us and it requires a shitload of work. As it should be for a competitive game. There are plenty of casual games out there if you don't like it.


What did anything you said have to do with...well...anything?


It sounded like an abstract of an essay written to persuade people to not have fun while playing Starcraft 2.
SwitchAUS
Profile Joined June 2011
Australia106 Posts
October 13 2011 21:00 GMT
#318
I bought an SEA account, so I use that for fun and the free NA one that it comes with for srs
I'm awesome, and I f--k dolphins.
Grobyc
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Canada18410 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-13 21:10:21
October 13 2011 21:03 GMT
#319
4 different ladders, but only your highest ranked of the 4 is actually published and given a real ranking + division. The other 3 still maintain their separate MMR, but don't generate rankings.
If you watch Godzilla backwards it's about a benevolent lizard who helps rebuild a city and then moonwalks into the ocean.
jinixxx123
Profile Joined June 2010
543 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-13 21:16:24
October 13 2011 21:09 GMT
#320
i disagree with multiple accounts, just have something like unranked matchmaking using your MMR to find opponents is sufficient enough for offracing/practicing/warming up for me. Having anymore than 1 account is only prone to one thing, Abuse!!! .. , which is smurfing /backstabbing and just ruining any integrity of the ladder system . How would a bronze league player feel when every 2 games he is facing a smurfing troll that is taking pride on beating up newbs "for fun" cause we all thats what "for fun" means...............
Prev 1 14 15 16 17 18 20 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 9m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 623
ProTech154
Nina 95
JuggernautJason58
RuFF_SC2 12
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 26270
Calm 2565
Mini 170
firebathero 104
Dewaltoss 95
soO 53
Bale 28
HiyA 25
PianO 16
Sacsri 5
Dota 2
Gorgc7053
XaKoH 376
monkeys_forever105
canceldota21
League of Legends
Doublelift1850
Counter-Strike
Fnx 1527
fl0m1346
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu857
Other Games
FrodaN1655
Beastyqt611
summit1g553
B2W.Neo387
mouzStarbuck386
Livibee183
shahzam176
ToD170
C9.Mang0148
Trikslyr116
RotterdaM107
UpATreeSC102
Mew2King53
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 51
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1090
• Shiphtur666
• WagamamaTV223
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h 9m
Replay Cast
2h 54m
OSC
1d 2h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 13h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 20h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 22h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.