• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:28
CEST 04:28
KST 11:28
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War585.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8293 users

[D] Zerg Detection - Page 27

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 25 26 27 28 Next All
freestalker
Profile Joined March 2010
469 Posts
October 24 2011 09:26 GMT
#521
I don't understand where people get the idea that zerg have excess of gas. lings are cool and all, but they will only get you so far (until a pack of few BFHs burns 'em down), and then you have to spend lots and lots of gas on units such as mutas, infestors, hydras.. marines on the other hand are a much better mineral dump and are good in big numbers against almost any unit. same goes with zealots, rushing tanks with huge damage output. good dump. Now when you get 200 lings that just run in circles around anything, they don't do that much And when you get a bunch of mutas, you need LOTS of them to make them even worthwhile, and that costs a lot of gas. So you save all your gas for mutas and try to survive with lings/queens as long as possible. I think the fact someone mentioned - that zerg has to expand (sometimes solely for gas) while other races happily camp on 1-2 bases says enough.
[F_]aths
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Germany3947 Posts
October 24 2011 12:04 GMT
#522
On October 24 2011 13:20 Steel wrote:
IMO to compensate for overseer, make overlord speed have detection too. All the overlords had detection in BW, and that was fine.
That was fine in BW but would nullify cloaked Banshee harass in SC2.
You don't choose to play zerg. The zerg choose you.
KULA_u
Profile Joined March 2010
Switzerland107 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-24 12:40:01
October 24 2011 12:36 GMT
#523
I will never understand why they completely removed ANY useful detection for Zerg. I still believe than overlords should be zergs main source of detection, be it without an upgrade needed, with an expensive T1(!) upgrade, or with a cheaper T2 upgrade. Or even just make it 25 gas per overlord to upgrade them with detection...

I vipers will make the zerg detection and scout problem even worse than it was with overseers.

Aside from detection, scouting will be even more of a problem for zerg than it was before and will now require even more guessing games.

In addition, detecting overlords always was one of the defining aspects of zerg, and blizzard just killed it.

@cloaked banshee problem: then maybe just build a viking?
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-24 14:13:18
October 24 2011 14:06 GMT
#524
On October 23 2011 22:44 Jayjay54 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 23 2011 17:33 Belial88 wrote:
On October 22 2011 19:37 Jayjay54 wrote:
On October 22 2011 18:53 Belial88 wrote:

Also, the detection parasite spell is available immediately, and it's very low energy cost, and the parasite lasts forever. You just put it on a couple units, I really dont think the whole 'babysit a random roach" is an issue. You just put detection on everything lol, its not a problem.



man you post like u read it all, but fail to read that the detection spell is a one use only spell.

so unless you invest like 1000 gas, you'll have to babysit the roach


man u post like u know something because you read it all, but you aware that I said in my post I actually PLAYED the new stuff at blizzcon right? And then there was the whole panel that talked about it for hours...

You are wrong, and I was right. The detection spell can be used as much as you want. You can only cast it once on the unit of choice, but obviously that is because it lasts forever.

It costs 25 energy. If you have 200 energy on the viper, you can put it on 8 units. So you don't have to babysit anything, you just cast it on multiple units.


I don't know if u REALLY played that unit or just talking shit. can someone confirm this? if you're right, then I'm sorry.

My statements were made because it says everywhere that it's a one time use ability. http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/21/official-list-of-unit-changes-in-starcraft-iis-heart-of-the-swarm-expansion/

and some guy above me posted additional link.

I kind of feel that u didn't actually test it and just talk aggressively for no reason.


Great. I'm sure there's lots of wrong information out there. I don't know if the playable HOTS wasn't completely 'correct', or if there are planned changes yet to be implemented, but I'm telling you what I played. I even double checked on sunday.

The viper can cast ocular parasite as many times as it has energy. I played the game quite a few times, and I specifically checked that a single viper could cast it multiple times. Maybe what is being confused is that you can only do it once to another unit, as once it has the eye you can't cast the spell on it again, but practically that doesn't mean anything.

Its great you know how to read, but I actually played hots at blizzcon.

The Viper spawns with energy energy to cast Ocular Eye, but not enough for Blinding Cloud or Abduct. Abduct costs a lot of energy, I believe 100. Blinding Cloud I believe was 75, and Eye at 50 since you only had enough energy to cast it once when viper spawned. There is nowhere to research anything for vipers since it already comes with the ability to do all it's spells and there's no additional things for it (extra energy when spawned, etc).

Also, the Viper is NOT a detector.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
nihlon
Profile Joined April 2010
Sweden5581 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-24 14:13:13
October 24 2011 14:11 GMT
#525
On October 24 2011 23:06 Belial88 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 23 2011 22:44 Jayjay54 wrote:
On October 23 2011 17:33 Belial88 wrote:
On October 22 2011 19:37 Jayjay54 wrote:
On October 22 2011 18:53 Belial88 wrote:

Also, the detection parasite spell is available immediately, and it's very low energy cost, and the parasite lasts forever. You just put it on a couple units, I really dont think the whole 'babysit a random roach" is an issue. You just put detection on everything lol, its not a problem.



man you post like u read it all, but fail to read that the detection spell is a one use only spell.

so unless you invest like 1000 gas, you'll have to babysit the roach


man u post like u know something because you read it all, but you aware that I said in my post I actually PLAYED the new stuff at blizzcon right? And then there was the whole panel that talked about it for hours...

You are wrong, and I was right. The detection spell can be used as much as you want. You can only cast it once on the unit of choice, but obviously that is because it lasts forever.

It costs 25 energy. If you have 200 energy on the viper, you can put it on 8 units. So you don't have to babysit anything, you just cast it on multiple units.


I don't know if u REALLY played that unit or just talking shit. can someone confirm this? if you're right, then I'm sorry.

My statements were made because it says everywhere that it's a one time use ability. http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/21/official-list-of-unit-changes-in-starcraft-iis-heart-of-the-swarm-expansion/

and some guy above me posted additional link.

I kind of feel that u didn't actually test it and just talk aggressively for no reason.


Great. I'm sure there's lots of wrong information out there. I don't know if the playable HOTS wasn't completely 'correct', or if there are planned changes yet to be implemented, but I'm telling you what I played. I even double checked on sunday.

The viper can cast ocular parasite as many times as it has energy. I played the game quite a few times, and I specifically checked that a single viper could cast it multiple times. Maybe what is being confused is that you can only do it once to another unit, as once it has the eye you can't cast the spell on it again, but practically that doesn't mean anything.

Its great you know how to read, but I actually played hots at blizzcon.

The Viper spawns with energy energy to cast Ocular Eye, but not enough for Blinding Cloud or Abduct. Abduct costs a lot of energy, I believe 100. Blinding Cloud I believe was 75, and Eye at 50 since you only had enough energy to cast it once when viper spawned. There is nowhere to research anything for vipers since it already comes with the ability to do all it's spells and there's no additional things for it (extra energy when spawned, etc).


Does the detection stays on first unit if you cast it on a second? If I understand you correctly that is the case (the both have detection)?
Banelings are too cute to blow up
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
October 24 2011 14:15 GMT
#526
^ Yes. The unit has some overseer eyeball on top of them.

I'm not sure if the enemy sees which unit has detection (to maybe snipe them out), or if what was written on a third party website about HOTS is what will actually happen instead of what I played. It's possible blizz may be planning to make it so eye can only be casted once, and that wasn't implemented yet, but as of the playable version at blizzcon, you could cast it on as many units as you want with the same viper.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
ch33psh33p
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
7650 Posts
October 24 2011 14:16 GMT
#527

On October 24 2011 13:47 [uci] Fizik wrote:
Let's be honest zerg, you always have an excess of gas. You get Dark Swarm back and then complain about losing overseers... all you need is lair tech for viper and as far as gas it just means we might see zerg getting second gas a little earlier then they have been.

Its disruption web, not dark swarm. Learn BW please.
secret - never again
vicml21
Profile Joined May 2007
Canada165 Posts
October 24 2011 14:48 GMT
#528
The reason I prefer overseers, is that, zerg units tend to die very quickly. Even if new detection is at same overseer time in game (as in, right after lair), if I need detection now, all of a sudden I have to make sure I keep whatever unit I made alive. Seeing as how zerg units are more expendable, I kind of liked how at least overseers had a little more health and can fly. Being harder to target is great, but when the unit has very little health (which is pretty much everything except ultras), it doesnt help lol.
"Meow" - Probe
Eviscerador
Profile Joined October 2011
Spain286 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-24 15:11:40
October 24 2011 15:10 GMT
#529
So now, I can hit lair and just morph an overlord to overseer for 50/50 and have mobile detection in 17 secs.

Then, i will hit lair, morph a Viper, which is 200 gas (maybe 100 or 50 mine dunno) and THEN use the energy on it into another bug to give it detection, which can be sniped easily, so instead of just morphing another overseer (or just make two in the first place in heavy contested areas) just die to cloacked atrittion.

Nice move Blizzard.

What I can't understand is how I'm supposed to play a reactive race with nearly zero early game scouting, with that mobile detection timing.
A victorious warrior wins first, then goes to war. A defeated warrior goes to war and then seeks to win.
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-24 15:17:36
October 24 2011 15:15 GMT
#530
^ For what it's worth, when I played, it 'felt' that the Viper spawned very quickly. Maybe someone out there knows the official number, but it felt around 30 seconds. I think detection is fine for Zerg, although now we can't morph 2 overseers at once, so it may be a lot trickier to deal with invisible units. 200 gas for detection is kind of a lot when it comes to timing, but then you essentially can make anything a detector for the rest of the game.

The reason I prefer overseers, is that, zerg units tend to die very quickly. Even if new detection is at same overseer time in game (as in, right after lair), if I need detection now, all of a sudden I have to make sure I keep whatever unit I made alive. Seeing as how zerg units are more expendable, I kind of liked how at least overseers had a little more health and can fly. Being harder to target is great, but when the unit has very little health (which is pretty much everything except ultras), it doesnt help lol.


You can just make an overlord a detector.

I think the problem is that:

1. A viper is 200 gas, and has enough energy for only 1 eye when it pops out. We've all been there where a banshee/dt is both in the nat and main - I guess hopefully you spent 400 on gas.

2. Scouting with no overseer. Now, Zerg NEEDS overlord speed asap. Which is kind of expensive. They lower the cost of overseer to 50 gas, then remove it so essentially we have to spend 100 gas again. The viper does nothing for scouting (unless your okay flying an extremely slow 200 gas unit from home to their base), so kind of confusing.

How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
DARKHYDRA
Profile Joined September 2006
United States303 Posts
October 25 2011 05:35 GMT
#531
On October 24 2011 21:04 [F_]aths wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 24 2011 13:20 Steel wrote:
IMO to compensate for overseer, make overlord speed have detection too. All the overlords had detection in BW, and that was fine.
That was fine in BW but would nullify cloaked Banshee harass in SC2.


People still used cloaked wraiths vs zerg in bw and they had less dps vs ground than banshees not to mention zerg had tier 1 hydras so your argument doesnt make sense.

Blizzard fucked up plain and simple in both changing OL detection and hydra tech.
cristo1122
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Australia505 Posts
October 25 2011 06:03 GMT
#532
kinda of a stupid change would not have been as bad if it was in addition to as it would broaden the options with this change it makes it worse for zerg as the other abbilities that the viper has are pretty good (personally they are needed as they are) so if there is any change to the viper in terms of cost or buildtime then it will change the ability of zerg to get detection.
ZvP imbalanced blizzards solution nerf terran
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
October 25 2011 06:47 GMT
#533
^they said they were well aware of the issue of having the viper as detection. they said it means they cant make the fviper expensive, which may mean nerfing other spells, but thats bland, etc.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
Giantt
Profile Joined December 2010
Bulgaria82 Posts
October 25 2011 07:03 GMT
#534
I wouldnt mind to see some redundancy and have both viper and overseer as an option.
Cant really understand blizzard's notion that overseer is not cool - I consider it one of the cleaverly thought zerg units. Both changelings and contaminate are spells that have their application most of the games and it would be unfortunate to loose them.
If the issue is only detection - that both viper and overseer are going to have it - I would be quite happy to see overseer's detection replaced by something else and keep him in the game.
baba44713
Profile Joined October 2011
83 Posts
October 25 2011 08:35 GMT
#535
I'm pretty sure the HotS Zerg scouting/detection issue will pop up almost immediately in Beta. In fact, I simply cannot believe this issue isn't in the process of being addressed right now, since it's so obvious and glaring.

Let's have some faith in Blizzard. At least until we are actually sure they majorly screwed up on this.
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-25 08:57:30
October 25 2011 08:56 GMT
#536
Maybe they want us to use overlord speed. Before the overseer was buffed, most people used overlord speed anyways. But I'm not sure, 100 gas was kind of expensive, and speed overlord wasn't useful when you need to know 'right now' what is going on in the opponent's base.

The 200 gas cost of the viper is kind of high. I get that you can cast OP many times from a viper, but as it spawns you can only cast it once (because, you know, you only have energy to do it once). Maybe lower the energy cost/raise starting energy so you can cast OP twice upon viper spawn.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
PresenceSc2
Profile Joined February 2011
Australia4032 Posts
October 25 2011 09:03 GMT
#537
They said a long time ago they want to improve early game scouting and now they remove the oversear?

Hopefully they have something else planed for scouting
Stephano//HerO//TaeJa//Squirtle//Bomber
Velr
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Switzerland10966 Posts
October 25 2011 09:05 GMT
#538
What really boggles my mind.

ON WHAT would i cast that eye when I reach T2 and plan to be offensive?

A Roach? A Hydra? A Zergling? An Overlrod (lol, back to the roots baby)?

It just makes no sense.
SwiftSpear
Profile Joined February 2010
Canada355 Posts
October 25 2011 09:11 GMT
#539
On October 23 2011 23:05 Jayjay54 wrote:
1. it is pretty much comfirmed that this is lair only. no spire needed

also, it is def NOT a detector by default. as u can see in this vid



this hovering eye is the detector, I also think it can't be casted on themselves

edit: @swiftspear:

zerg will still not really force detection. burrow baneling is hive tech and the swarm lord doesnt really force detection immediately.

imo it will be even easier to snipe "the overseer" now. it will be an overlord or an attacking unit with a huge hovering eye on it. I still can't think of any example where the viper detection should be any better than the overseer. maybe u guys can help me.

Burrow roach already forces detection and they can come out around the same time as DT. Infestors too. Late game I think you'll have to either have detection or be screwed, baneling bombs that can move are terrifying for any opponent.
Lixo
Profile Joined May 2011
202 Posts
October 25 2011 09:13 GMT
#540
The only case where I would be ok with overseer removal would have been the overlord detection from the start.
Now with what units are we going to scoot at T2 ? a Viper ?
The decisions that Blizzard is making for zergs really seem so un-zergy to me...
End of the design whine.
Prev 1 25 26 27 28 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 32m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 191
NeuroSwarm 172
FoxeR 26
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1842
Leta 966
Bale 76
League of Legends
Doublelift4164
Other Games
summit1g8800
JimRising 527
WinterStarcraft172
ViBE168
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick702
BasetradeTV166
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 101
• davetesta17
• Light_VIP 15
• Letter143
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra1148
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
7h 32m
Patches Events
12h 32m
BSL Open Qualifier
16h 32m
BSL Open Qualifier
16h 32m
OSC
20h 32m
OSC
1d 9h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.