• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:24
CEST 21:24
KST 04:24
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026?
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
MLB/Baseball 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7890 users

New Maps in 1v1 Pool - Page 40

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 38 39 40 41 42 68 Next
ZeromuS
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada13424 Posts
February 27 2011 00:31 GMT
#781
I see something interesting here, we can see that these maps as blizzard made them are very zerg favoured when expanding past the natural map

This is interesting because it supports the perspective of Blizzard

In the beta we found with macro heavy maps that Zerg was just way overpowered and unstoppable.

Source
Source 2

No wonder Blizzad felt this way they provided few strategic positions for Terran and Protoss to really defend their bases after exapnding past the natural. Some of the maps just REALLY eancourage 1 or 2 base all ins.

I just wish Blizzard would have made some of the chokes a touch smaller. Example Typhon peaks has four large entrances that can be used by the enemy to access your base. Specifically, Zerg will be able to run in and atack your bases easily. If one of the entrances was smaller to the side it could be locked down more easily. However its easy to hold natural while at the natural the third becomes an issue ZvT or ZvP.

The Open middle in shattered temple is also problematic since there arent really any options to avoid the middle. Its not bad to have an open area easy for flanking BUT it should be possible to avoid it for a short while at a disadvantage. Cross positions to avoid the middle would require a lot of walk distance which can easily provide zerg time to defend and set up a flank in the few areas that become open. however limiting the middle to being completely open is problematic. Also,no watchtowers along the sides will provide a hard time in scouting attack paths.

Any good Zerg on Shattered Temple will control the middle and hold it through fast creep spread and expanding behind the gold minerals on the old island.
StrategyRTS forever | @ZeromuS_plays | www.twitch.tv/Zeromus_
cnas
Profile Joined June 2010
Sweden640 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-27 00:54:32
February 27 2011 00:51 GMT
#782
I'm so fking disappointed. Every time it rolled shak it was almost certain to be a fair game. I've been laddering today and every single game on the new maps i've been cheesed.

Is Bliz blind? Can't they see the awesome games from GSL on shak? Most of the great games from GSL on the Bliz maps have been on shak.

Bliz refusal to add good maps is starting to feel like New Coke to me. When are they gonna stop and say: "what the hell are we doing? let's just give them good maps."
One more game, bro's!
whoopadeedoo
Profile Joined June 2010
United States427 Posts
February 27 2011 01:01 GMT
#783
I tried to find the answer, but 40 pages is a lot of posts to read, so forgive me if this has been answered or asked already:
How come we didn't just get GSL maps?
DeltruS
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada2214 Posts
February 27 2011 01:02 GMT
#784
On February 27 2011 09:51 cnas wrote:
I'm so fking disappointed. Every time it rolled shak it was almost certain to be a fair game. I've been laddering today and every single game on the new maps i've been cheesed.

Is Bliz blind? Can't they see the awesome games from GSL on shak? Most of the great games from GSL on the Bliz maps have been on shak.

Bliz refusal to add good maps is starting to feel like New Coke to me. When are they gonna stop and say: "what the hell are we doing? let's just give them good maps."


I think the high cheese rate is due to the low amount of understanding of the maps. People aren't comfortable playing macro games on them.

I just really wish they had a bigger map pool with ICcup and GSL maps. They would make ladder so much fun instead of work.
http://grooveshark.com/#/deltrus/music
Yoshi Kirishima
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States10382 Posts
February 27 2011 01:02 GMT
#785
i read that they were going to put 1 GSL map into the ladder
Mid-master streaming MECH ONLY + commentary www.twitch.tv/yoshikirishima +++ "If all-in fails, all-in again."
uSnAmplified
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1029 Posts
February 27 2011 01:04 GMT
#786
On February 27 2011 10:01 whoopadeedoo wrote:
I tried to find the answer, but 40 pages is a lot of posts to read, so forgive me if this has been answered or asked already:
How come we didn't just get GSL maps?

I dont think they really gave an answer, they sort of just threw these maps at us despite the outcry for GSL maps.
~
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
February 27 2011 01:06 GMT
#787
On February 27 2011 10:02 Yoshi Kirishima wrote:
i read that they were going to put 1 GSL map into the ladder


yeah they do plan on it but that 1 gsl map they are going to put in I bet is crossfire. If its an actual GSL map like altar (I'll pray for it) I would be shocked.
When I think of something else, something will go here
Strike_
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Netherlands704 Posts
February 27 2011 01:11 GMT
#788
It's REALLY hard to defend a 2rax allin or 4gate on backwater gulch and slag pits close positions
Valette1565
Profile Joined February 2011
United States16 Posts
February 27 2011 01:14 GMT
#789
I like the new maps. I think they are a bit of a concession to the players who want the larger maps, like those used in the GSL. Though I don't think this will completely satisfy all, I think, if given time, the maps will prove themselves to all.
uSnAmplified
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1029 Posts
February 27 2011 01:18 GMT
#790
On February 27 2011 10:14 Valette1565 wrote:
I like the new maps. I think they are a bit of a concession to the players who want the larger maps, like those used in the GSL. Though I don't think this will completely satisfy all, I think, if given time, the maps will prove themselves to all.
They are completely half assed maps full of destructible rocks and akward design, still troubled by being spawn depended and having hard to defend naturals and thirds onwards. In time they will only prove to be just bad or worse then people think.


~
emc
Profile Joined September 2010
United States3088 Posts
February 27 2011 01:20 GMT
#791
On February 27 2011 10:01 whoopadeedoo wrote:
I tried to find the answer, but 40 pages is a lot of posts to read, so forgive me if this has been answered or asked already:
How come we didn't just get GSL maps?


no one really knows but perhaps it's because blizzard wants to do things for themselves.
cnas
Profile Joined June 2010
Sweden640 Posts
February 27 2011 01:20 GMT
#792
On February 27 2011 10:02 DeltruS wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 27 2011 09:51 cnas wrote:
I'm so fking disappointed. Every time it rolled shak it was almost certain to be a fair game. I've been laddering today and every single game on the new maps i've been cheesed.

Is Bliz blind? Can't they see the awesome games from GSL on shak? Most of the great games from GSL on the Bliz maps have been on shak.

Bliz refusal to add good maps is starting to feel like New Coke to me. When are they gonna stop and say: "what the hell are we doing? let's just give them good maps."


I think the high cheese rate is due to the low amount of understanding of the maps. People aren't comfortable playing macro games on them.

I just really wish they had a bigger map pool with ICcup and GSL maps. They would make ladder so much fun instead of work.

Yeah, that's prolly a big part of it tbh. But the naturals on backwater is annoying for two reasons. First of all, i spawned so i had to hatch towards my enemy, while his natural was faced in the other way (like lost temple in wc3). Also the ramp leading down to the hatch is so far away.

Also got a game with close pos on slag pit and i haven't done the maths but it felt like half the rush distance of steppes. Sigh...

On February 27 2011 10:06 blade55555 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 27 2011 10:02 Yoshi Kirishima wrote:
i read that they were going to put 1 GSL map into the ladder


yeah they do plan on it but that 1 gsl map they are going to put in I bet is crossfire. If its an actual GSL map like altar (I'll pray for it) I would be shocked.


I might have missed something obvious here but is Crossfire considered a good or bad map? haven't got the chance to try it.
One more game, bro's!
HolyArrow
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7116 Posts
February 27 2011 01:21 GMT
#793
Wow, I didn't realize they removed Shak. What the fuck? That's an incredibly idiotic decision.
uSnAmplified
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1029 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-27 01:32:31
February 27 2011 01:22 GMT
#794
On February 27 2011 10:20 cnas wrote:

I might have missed something obvious here but is Crossfire considered a good or bad map? haven't got the chance to try it.
Its not to bad but i think it is a really narrow map in general, it just feels cramped to me and thats not to good with all the AOE in this game.

EDIT: i don't know if this has been posted but this article covers why they added/removed each of the maps: http://www.shacknews.com/article/67645/starcraft-2-adds-and-removes

Their reasoning for removing shakuras and adding maps like slag pits are absolutely ridiculous
~
Latedi
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Sweden1027 Posts
February 27 2011 01:35 GMT
#795
+ Show Spoiler +
On February 27 2011 10:20 cnas wrote:

I might have missed something obvious here but is Crossfire considered a good or bad map? haven't got the chance to try it.
Its not to bad but i think it is a really narrow map in general, it just feels cramped to me and thats not to good with all the AOE in this game.


That is race dependent I'd say. for example PvT the Terran has a hard time fighting behind the mains on shakuras while they can easily fight outside the naturals.
I am Latedi.
Sega92
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States467 Posts
February 27 2011 01:46 GMT
#796
(4)Shakuras Plateau

This map we decided to remove for a different reason. There isn't a huge problem with this map, but we felt there aren't enough interesting features of this map. The natural expansion is easy to take and defend; there are only two possible attack paths only one of which is generally used, and main bases aren't easy to harass. For a change, we wanted to replace this relatively plain map with something new.


okay...so they are saying this map isn't interesting because it was easy to take your natural?...oh no! god forbid we have a damn macro map once in a while...and when a zerg has a hard to defend natural that puts them at a disadvantage because when you first start playing zerg you hear one thing over and over "stay one base up as much as possible" so a hard to defend nat means zerg is at an auto disadvantage from the get go and that just doesn't seem like a good idea for the life of the game to me where one race is automatically required to play better just to survive...and a hard to defend nat means more 1 base all ins which break the routine and can be fun to do and fun to hold off but when they are encouraged by the game that is about strategy...that is a bit off...(and by off i mean BS)

i mean look at bw (I know, I know everyone talks about bw when criticizing sc2 but hear me out) on some maps your nat was partially protected by the terrain and while I know people are going to say that sc2 is still new and bw had sooo long for people to learn what worked and what didn't and while that is true I also want to say that sc2 now has a PERFECT example to build off of and blizz seems to forget that..much like disney has tried to rid the world of the memories of the original Tron (was on youtube for a LONG time then suddenly disappeared) blizz seems to be ignoring the lessons learned from bw and trying to start from scratch for no reason

and last point it was hard to harass?!?! wtf blizz okay so now it is obvious they hate macro oriented play

TL:DR (read quote) I wouldn't have minded if it was for like a bug fix but the reason they gave just bugged the hell out of me
`Forte
Profile Joined August 2010
United States128 Posts
February 27 2011 01:51 GMT
#797
I still don't understand Backwater Gulch—it may be the worst map I've ever seen. Disregarding the other problems, who thought rotational symmetry was a good idea? How can a map be balanced when I can have a much easier or harder to take 3rd base than my opponent because of the layout?

lol @ Slag Pits being like a "more macro-oriented Metalopolis" when it has less expansions (10), no third base, and the shortest rush distance on close positions.

The annoying part about Backwater/Slag is that I can't think of a strategy that'd be better than a 1 or 2-base timing push to win, and I don't want to do that. I can't judge Typhon yet cause I haven't played enough games on it, but it doesn't look like there's an obvious "win" tactic like Backwater/Slag, and Shattered Temple is an all around good map. I still hate the decision to remove Shakuras (if horizontal positions were so bad why didn't they just make it a 2-player diagonal map?) but hopefully it's reimplemented, and hopefully we get a GSL map like Tal'Darim Altar or something to balance out these bad maps.

Definitely downvoting DQ/Backwater/Slag. It's a shame that they even exist.
Rokk
Profile Joined March 2010
United States425 Posts
February 27 2011 01:55 GMT
#798
So....anyone want to figure out how to make an equivalent iCCup ladder for sc2 yet?
uSnAmplified
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1029 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-27 01:59:34
February 27 2011 01:57 GMT
#799
On February 27 2011 10:51 [Avarice] wrote:
I still don't understand Backwater Gulch—it may be the worst map I've ever seen. Disregarding the other problems, who thought rotational symmetry was a good idea? How can a map be balanced when I can have a much easier or harder to take 3rd base than my opponent because of the layout?

lol @ Slag Pits being like a "more macro-oriented Metalopolis" when it has less expansions (10), no third base, and the shortest rush distance on close positions.

The annoying part about Backwater/Slag is that I can't think of a strategy that'd be better than a 1 or 2-base timing push to win, and I don't want to do that. I can't judge Typhon yet cause I haven't played enough games on it, but it doesn't look like there's an obvious "win" tactic like Backwater/Slag, and Shattered Temple is an all around good map. I still hate the decision to remove Shakuras (if horizontal positions were so bad why didn't they just make it a 2-player diagonal map?) but hopefully it's reimplemented, and hopefully we get a GSL map like Tal'Darim Altar or something to balance out these bad maps.

Definitely downvoting DQ/Backwater/Slag. It's a shame that they even exist.
My main problem with typhon is the addition of destructible rocks as a 2nd entrance to natural, on top of the map itselfs architecture just feeling kind of akward leaves it on the fence as good or bad for me, but its playable for now.

The new temple is still to spawn dependent, the cliff is gone but close positions still feel like an auto loss.

Selling off slags pits as a new macro oriented metal is ridiculous, and the fact that they removed shakuras because they thought it was boring is just horrible.
~
monitor
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2409 Posts
February 27 2011 01:59 GMT
#800
Disregarding the other problems, who thought rotational symmetry was a good idea? How can a map be balanced when I can have a much easier or harder to take 3rd base than my opponent because of the layout?


To inform you, rotational symmetry is fine. It was used very often in Brood War (I'd say 80%), and will likely be continued in SC2. It can be balanced, and makes games very fun; additionally, the MU's don't change as much as reflection symmetry maps.
https://liquipedia.net/starcraft2/Monitor
Prev 1 38 39 40 41 42 68 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
16:00
#65
RotterdaM928
TaKeTV 328
TKL 325
IndyStarCraft 202
BRAT_OK 97
ZombieGrub59
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 928
TKL 325
IndyStarCraft 202
MaxPax 177
BRAT_OK 97
UpATreeSC 91
ZombieGrub59
JuggernautJason54
Nathanias 28
EmSc Tv 18
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 680
ggaemo 167
White-Ra 151
firebathero 82
Barracks 61
910 50
Killer 26
Shine 25
Trap 25
yabsab 7
Dota 2
qojqva3656
Counter-Strike
Fnx 792
Super Smash Bros
C9.Mang0174
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby9589
crisheroes1725
Liquid`Hasu1590
Trikslyr63
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi4389
summit1g3323
singsing1387
Beastyqt801
shahzam435
B2W.Neo354
KnowMe126
ArmadaUGS109
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream422
Other Games
BasetradeTV220
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 18
EmSc2Tv 18
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 176
• Reevou 2
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 20
• Azhi_Dahaki16
• FirePhoenix11
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade914
Other Games
• Shiphtur329
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
14h 36m
Afreeca Starleague
14h 36m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 4h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 15h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.