• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:23
CEST 05:23
KST 12:23
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7020 users

A Glimpse into SC2 Progaming - Page 9

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 Next All
trevabob
Profile Joined May 2010
United Kingdom350 Posts
October 19 2010 21:33 GMT
#161
Yay! I missed old, involved-in-gaming, Rekrul the first time round.
Not this time though :D
Mataru
Profile Joined June 2010
Norway356 Posts
October 19 2010 22:37 GMT
#162
Holy shit, I just read Rekrul's bio on liquipedia and that was some the most amazing stuff I've ever read. Anyone who hasn't read that yet needs to do it right now. Now if you'll excuse I'm off to read up on poker...
Proud citizen of ESPORTS
Mongery
Profile Joined May 2009
892 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-19 22:39:03
October 19 2010 22:38 GMT
#163
nice one rekrul haha, made me laugh some
http://www.twitch.tv/mongery_tv https://www.esportsearnings.com/players/27699-mongery-
teko
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada1197 Posts
October 20 2010 00:07 GMT
#164
On October 20 2010 07:37 Mataru wrote:
Holy shit, I just read Rekrul's bio on liquipedia and that was some the most amazing stuff I've ever read. Anyone who hasn't read that yet needs to do it right now. Now if you'll excuse I'm off to read up on poker...


LOL, that's not a biography, it's an autobiography!

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/Rekrul
RaiZ
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
2813 Posts
October 20 2010 00:32 GMT
#165
Fukin sweet read rek! It's been a long time, i missed your entries ! ~
God, you know what ? I'm pretty sure if i've ever gone to korea and i was to meet you we'd chill everywehre. You betcha !

Thanks again for the read, keep'em coming !
Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth. Oscar Wilde
deathgod6
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States5064 Posts
October 20 2010 00:41 GMT
#166
nice! I want to see more Rekrul in sc2!
4.0 GPA = A rank 5.0 GPA = Olympic --------- Bisu, Best, Fantasy. i ♥ oov. They can get in my BoxeR anyday.
torm3ntin
Profile Joined October 2009
Brazil2534 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-20 00:42:57
October 20 2010 00:42 GMT
#167
rekrul is backk!!!

keep is updated!!
Grubby and Ret fan, but a TERRAN player :D
Licmyobelisk
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Philippines3682 Posts
October 20 2010 01:00 GMT
#168
this is rekrul writing.. you guys haven't seen the drunkrul yes?
I don't think I've ever wished my opponent good luck prior to a game. When I play, I play to win. I hope every opponent I ever have is cursed with fucking terrible luck. I hope they're stuck playing underneath a stepladder with a black cat in attendance a
Dwar3xwar
Profile Joined August 2010
39 Posts
October 20 2010 01:56 GMT
#169
good read.thanks for sharing =)
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
October 20 2010 03:30 GMT
#170
I don't like complimenting you because you get so much of it but that really was a super cool read.
Cow
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada1104 Posts
October 20 2010 03:46 GMT
#171
Sweet Read!
R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
Two_DoWn
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States13684 Posts
October 20 2010 05:29 GMT
#172
God I hope this means there is more to come.
"What is the air speed velocity of an unladen courier?" "Dire or Radiant?"
TypeFake
Profile Joined September 2010
United States121 Posts
October 20 2010 05:40 GMT
#173
Beer on top of Vodka.

...

IMHO, it seemed like you were asking for it. :I
TheGiftedApe
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1243 Posts
October 20 2010 08:07 GMT
#174
i lol'd ty op.
xO-Gaming.com || [xO]TheGiftedApe.364 || xO-Gaming Manager.
crazeman
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
664 Posts
October 20 2010 08:10 GMT
#175
On October 20 2010 00:28 Champ24 wrote:
Sounds like a fun night and all, but I'm curious as to why people choose this as a profession?

I realize this can be interpreted as a troll post, but I am genuinely curious...so I'll try to be as PC as possible because it is not my intent. I have been wondering this for some time.

I relate the decision most similarly to that of an aspiring professional football player. If you take a look at my name, champ24, you may realize I am an avid football fan. Champ Bailey is my favorite player, even though he is past his prime. However, the situation applies to him as well. What do you do after your short career is done? Most professional NFL athletes last 2-3 years in the NFL before they are done. They have then blown their college experience by taking the easiest major possible, and have no real life experience beyond football...which is pointless in 99.99% of professions.

A Denver Bronco, yes, my team even though they suck, was cut from the team a few years ago. The broncos ran into RB injury problems, so they called the dude back to start in the middle of the season. The guy was selling cell phones at the mall. WTF? He probably made a killing for 3 years or so, but now makes minimum wage pitching Sprint contracts to customers. How could you not think about the transition after your career is over?

The same applies to progaming. You have a short career span of playing video games, screwing hot chicks, going to the bars with your buddies for a few years, and then what? It's not like putting "I'm an expert at the 15 nexus FE" or the "polt timing attack" on your resume is going to land you a dream job that can support a family. It may sound down the road kiddos, but odds are you will have a ball and chain. And she's likely not goin to enjoy you throwing down hours upon hours of gaming every day. My video games turn off when the better half gets home from work, even though I love them. The gaming days are over when I have little munchkins running around.

But that aside, the best example I can think of is mr. Day9 himself. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy. If I saw him in the bar the drinks would be on me the whole night. He's hilarious. But I shiver every time he mentions that he made his rent for the month, and how he spends 6 hours a day reviewing funday monday videos. I get the feeling he is a crazy smart guy, but I get the impression he is missing out on life. I'm sure his gaming experience was fun and all, but would a different path have been better?

Like I said, I'm a fan of football but I think choosing it as a career is a terrible idea. I apply the same philosophy to that of pro-gaming. It may sound like this epic ride for a few years, but life is a lot longer than that. And looking at the general consensus of this thread, most people are jealous of it. I don't see it...so why?

TLDR-why do you want to be a pro gamer, and what do you plan to do after the gig is up?


I'm not sure which denver bronco player you are describing but that's retarded. Athletes make a ton of money. You make it sound like after they retire from the nfl, they have no other skills and have no other way to earn those skills.

Even the scrubbiest minimium-wage players make a decent amount of money (at least 325k... that's like 10 years worth of wages for some families). That denver bronco working at the cellphone store after retirement probably wasted all his money on stupid shit. If he managed his money remotely well, he'll definitely be able to at LEAST afford community college for 4 years and hopefully get a better job. It's not like football leaves him paralyzed and he's fucked as soon as he retired from football.

I seriously hate how people feels bad for professional athletes after they retire. They have money, a able body, speak fluent English and somehow we're supposed to believe that they can't do anything else besides football.

Back on topic... Thanks rekrul for the good read. I went through your stub in the liquidpedia as well and found it fascinating.
SmoKim
Profile Joined March 2010
Denmark10305 Posts
October 20 2010 08:24 GMT
#176
i wanna see you play again Rekrul

just sign up for some random tournaments or showmatch, would love it

plz plz plz <3
"LOL I have 202 supply right now (3 minutes later)..."LOL NOW I HAVE 220 SUPPLY SUP?!?!?" - Mondragon
Swatch
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany114 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-20 09:18:42
October 20 2010 09:17 GMT
#177
You got some serious writing skills. Actually I'm not sure whether it's the story oder the style. Either way, gave me something to think about.
Hot_Bid
Profile Blog Joined October 2003
Braavos36402 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-20 10:20:48
October 20 2010 09:34 GMT
#178
On October 20 2010 00:28 Champ24 wrote:
Sounds like a fun night and all, but I'm curious as to why people choose this as a profession?
....
The same applies to progaming. You have a short career span of playing video games, screwing hot chicks, going to the bars with your buddies for a few years, and then what? It's not like putting "I'm an expert at the 15 nexus FE" or the "polt timing attack" on your resume is going to land you a dream job that can support a family. It may sound down the road kiddos, but odds are you will have a ball and chain. And she's likely not goin to enjoy you throwing down hours upon hours of gaming every day. My video games turn off when the better half gets home from work, even though I love them. The gaming days are over when I have little munchkins running around.

But that aside, the best example I can think of is mr. Day9 himself. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy. If I saw him in the bar the drinks would be on me the whole night. He's hilarious. But I shiver every time he mentions that he made his rent for the month, and how he spends 6 hours a day reviewing funday monday videos. I get the feeling he is a crazy smart guy, but I get the impression he is missing out on life. I'm sure his gaming experience was fun and all, but would a different path have been better?
...

Everyone who accomplished something great or had a lot of fun took a risk somewhere along the line. Sure, maybe a few progamers made a mistake in picking progaming. Maybe a cubicle desk job is the best they could do. But you can't walk a "safe" career path and accomplish truly great things. Did you really go through your twenties thinking "wow what will my future wife think" and "how does this affect my future kids"? At some point in your life you need adventure and for these guys it's progaming.

I hate to keep piling on you because everyone already is replying and criticizing your post, but Day9 is the absolute worst example of "missing out on life" ever. The guy lives the dream. He gets flown to every major Starcraft 2 event every other week. 15,000 people watch him talk, and millions would trade places with him in an instant. He spends the majority of his time doing what he loves. He's a huge celebrity as long as Starcraft lives, and this game will live for decades (if you count the expansions and SC3 behind it). He can probably drop out of school and make a living casting right now but instead finishes his super hard math program at a good university.

If anyone is set up to succeed through the esports industry, it's Day. There's nothing more stable than being the #1 in-demand caster. It's not like his casting performance will disappear or drop away, it will only gain strength and experience with time. Every single time he's flown out to IEM or MLG or Blizzcon his resume is buffed and he becomes even more indispensable for the next event. I'm willing to bet he could cast until age 50 if he wanted, and teach casting all that time as well. It's ridiculous that you chose probably the most successful person in the SC2 esports industry right now (outside of Blizzard's CEO haha) as your example of "missing out on life."
@Hot_Bid on Twitter - ESPORTS life since 2010 - http://i.imgur.com/U2psw.png
endy
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Switzerland8970 Posts
October 20 2010 09:54 GMT
#179
great read as usual !
ॐ
lacho_u
Profile Joined April 2009
Bulgaria535 Posts
October 20 2010 12:27 GMT
#180
Thank for the nice read rek.
Power is nothing without control
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 37m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft421
RuFF_SC2 163
Nina 93
-ZergGirl 69
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2221
Bale 22
yabsab 21
Terrorterran 13
Shuttle 0
Dota 2
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1189
taco 332
minikerr17
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox673
Other Games
summit1g7851
JimRising 683
Day[9].tv529
C9.Mang0327
WinterStarcraft235
ViBE161
Maynarde146
Livibee135
Sick127
ArmadaUGS36
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick956
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream155
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Response 15
• OhrlRock 3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 7
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv529
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
7h 37m
Stellar Fest
9h 37m
The PondCast
1d 6h
OSC
1d 9h
Stellar Fest
1d 9h
OSC
1d 20h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.