• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:29
CEST 06:29
KST 13:29
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10357 users

A Glimpse into SC2 Progaming - Page 11

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 9 10 11 All
Future_sc
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States783 Posts
October 21 2010 13:14 GMT
#201
Yeah, great read.
Twitter @Future_sc Twitch.tv/Future_sc
DND_Enkil
Profile Joined September 2010
Sweden598 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-21 14:21:06
October 21 2010 14:19 GMT
#202
On October 20 2010 22:10 Champ24 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 20 2010 18:34 Hot_Bid wrote:
On October 20 2010 00:28 Champ24 wrote:
Sounds like a fun night and all, but I'm curious as to why people choose this as a profession?
....
The same applies to progaming. You have a short career span of playing video games, screwing hot chicks, going to the bars with your buddies for a few years, and then what? It's not like putting "I'm an expert at the 15 nexus FE" or the "polt timing attack" on your resume is going to land you a dream job that can support a family. It may sound down the road kiddos, but odds are you will have a ball and chain. And she's likely not goin to enjoy you throwing down hours upon hours of gaming every day. My video games turn off when the better half gets home from work, even though I love them. The gaming days are over when I have little munchkins running around.

But that aside, the best example I can think of is mr. Day9 himself. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy. If I saw him in the bar the drinks would be on me the whole night. He's hilarious. But I shiver every time he mentions that he made his rent for the month, and how he spends 6 hours a day reviewing funday monday videos. I get the feeling he is a crazy smart guy, but I get the impression he is missing out on life. I'm sure his gaming experience was fun and all, but would a different path have been better?
...

Everyone who accomplished something great or had a lot of fun took a risk somewhere along the line. Sure, maybe a few progamers made a mistake in picking progaming. Maybe a cubicle desk job is the best they could do. But you can't walk a "safe" career path and accomplish truly great things. Did you really go through your twenties thinking "wow what will my future wife think" and "how does this affect my future kids"? At some point in your life you need adventure and for these guys it's progaming.

I hate to keep piling on you because everyone already is replying and criticizing your post, but Day9 is the absolute worst example of "missing out on life" ever. The guy lives the dream. He gets flown to every major Starcraft 2 event every other week. 15,000 people watch him talk, and millions would trade places with him in an instant. He spends the majority of his time doing what he loves. He's a huge celebrity as long as Starcraft lives, and this game will live for decades (if you count the expansions and SC3 behind it). He can probably drop out of school and make a living casting right now but instead finishes his super hard math program at a good university.

If anyone is set up to succeed through the esports industry, it's Day. There's nothing more stable than being the #1 in-demand caster. It's not like his casting performance will disappear or drop away, it will only gain strength and experience with time. Every single time he's flown out to IEM or MLG or Blizzcon his resume is buffed and he becomes even more indispensable for the next event. I'm willing to bet he could cast until age 50 if he wanted, and teach casting all that time as well. It's ridiculous that you chose probably the most successful person in the SC2 esports industry right now (outside of Blizzard's CEO haha) as your example of "missing out on life."


I was expecting to get criticized. I'm basically in the hornets nest of pro gaming asking why. Anyways, I rescinded my day9 analogy a few posts later once I learned of his masters program at USC. I'll own that mistake. He isn't a good example.

If you want to do what you love, go for it. I'm certainly not the one to stop you. However, I revert to my NFL analogy; it may seem great, but it leads down a path that may be difficult to get out of. To another curious member, Tatum Bell was the Bronco player selling phones. A chilling related stat, 78% of all NFL player are bankrupt, divorced, or unemployed following their NFL stint. I get the feeling pro gaming falls into the same boat. You learn skills that are not valuable in life when your gaming career ends. But perhaps I'm wrong...it wont be the first time.

I just don't get warm fuzzies when I see teens posting on here about wanting to pack their bags and move to Korea so they can get paid to play video games. If you truly want to, by all means, do it. You only live once. But there are always consequences for your actions, and some are more difficult to see than others. Id hate to see someones life ruined 10 years from now because they had delusions of grandeur about sc2 gaming. The OP exemplifies a bunch of buddies sitting around, drinking beer, playing video games into the wee hours of the night, and blowing tournament cash at restaurants following a victory. Can it happen? Certainly. But it's jut one angle of the big picture. I'm merely attempting to highlight a different side.

But I must say I am slightly biased. I work as an engineer for a living, so not taking unnecessary risks has been pounded into my brain for years.


I agree with you and with the replies to you

Is Pro-Gaming a good career-choice? Probably not, but neither is musician,dancer or artist. There is usually a point in must young kids life before they go into "higher education" (like a university, in sweden this is around the same time you turn 18 or 19) where they can afford to basicly screw around for a while. Many people around here take a year off to do some crazy shit like hitch-hike around the world or try to make is as a pro in golf/dance/skateboard/whaterver. I myself spent one year "studying" something completely useless, and being honest about it, and pretty much partied and slept the whole time. After that year i got serious and apllied to a real education.

My point is, i dont think it is wrong to pursue ANY dream career as long as A) you dont get yourself into huge debts and B) if things dont work out you change before A occurs.

When I started my serious education (construction engineer) at the Uni the average age in our class of 120 person where around 25 years old. I dont think any of the guys participating in GSL or other big foreign tournaments are to old to change to a serious career after thier gaming career ends/fails. And when that time comes they will be older, hopefully wiser and more mature and should be able to complete thier education easier.

And I imagine "Was a Starcraft 2 professional gamer in Korea 2010-2012" is a pretty awesome thing to have on your resume.
"If you write about a sewing needle there is always some one-eyed bastard that gets offended" - Fritiof The Pirate Nilsson
foeffa
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
Belgium2115 Posts
October 21 2010 22:28 GMT
#203
Rekrul delivers as usual. ^^
觀過斯知仁矣.
Omitson
Profile Joined August 2010
58 Posts
October 22 2010 01:21 GMT
#204
On October 18 2010 07:07 Nuri wrote:
nice read


This.

Can be improved. But still a nice read overall.
Butigroove
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Seychelles2061 Posts
October 22 2010 06:26 GMT
#205
Rekrul, go on State of the Game podcast pretty please with ssamjang on top!
beach beers buds beezies b-b-b-baaanelings
risk.nuke
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden2825 Posts
October 22 2010 10:25 GMT
#206
I'd like to see some Artosis vs Rekrul rivalry in sc2 :D
Neo.G Soulkey, Best, firebathero. // http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/index.php?show_part=31
Titusmaster6
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States5937 Posts
October 22 2010 11:50 GMT
#207
Fuck ya rekrul, another baller story, and this time perhaps teasing us with the possibility of seeing you on tv?

I wish Artosis would do an interview with you, would be very interesting.
Shorts down shorts up, BOOM, just like that.
HavoK.
Profile Joined March 2010
United States172 Posts
October 22 2010 16:23 GMT
#208
Cool post, interesting and funny story.
cyberspace
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada955 Posts
October 23 2010 18:28 GMT
#209
Love reading your stories, Rek.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NeCroPoTeNce
Profile Joined July 2009
United States513 Posts
October 23 2010 19:36 GMT
#210
On October 18 2010 07:01 Rekrul wrote:
The best meal of your life, the best sex of your life, making alot of $....


What would a Rekrul post be without this? I love reading ur stories man. <3
zerg all the way! Lee Jaedong hwaiting
Narrator
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States868 Posts
October 23 2010 21:53 GMT
#211
This is a very enjoyable story. I get the same feeling when I see ACE win. I look forward to seeing you play in the future!
MassAirUnits
Profile Joined April 2010
United States66 Posts
October 23 2010 22:16 GMT
#212
That was a really nice story, great to hear that you are gaining interest in SC2 =]

I'll be sorry to admit that I'm not very familiar with rekrul, so I took to google to search for "rekrul starcraft". The third item down I saw is a very old post made by rekrul from around 2005, and I thought it provided a rather interesting contrast with the opening post.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=22425
Fortune favors the bold!
MightyAtom
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
Korea (South)1897 Posts
October 24 2010 12:50 GMT
#213
On October 20 2010 12:30 travis wrote:
I don't like complimenting you because you get so much of it but that really was a super cool read.


keke that was honest, ^^

@Avius I told Rek we'd just buy a team from Spunky (money solves most things keke);

This is my conversation with Rek that night:

'Dan!'

'Dave going to watch the team finals, OGS is gonna rape em, you want to go see em, we are going to celebrate after we win'

'Ah, damn, I love to, but I gotta stay in and work, but just call me later and I'll try to make it'

'Ok'

'Ok gogo'

5 hours later.....

'Dan!'

'Dave, omg, OGS almost got killed, the last guy had to win 3 straight, so sick'

'LOL, what happened to the raped?, but that is sick 3 straight'

'Yeah, we gonna get fucked up now'

'Ok, gotta work, but give my love to the boys gogo!'

****
After reading Rek's post, I wish I had gone and passed the night away in a soju stupor keke.

Hope you're having fun in sober land now Rek, love ya!

Administrator-I am the universe- Morihei Ueshiba
Firereaver
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
India1701 Posts
December 05 2010 17:31 GMT
#214
On October 18 2010 07:16 Elegy wrote:
brilliant read

Show nested quote +
he knows i come to lead people into the night


LOL that cracked me up for ages.

OMG Rekrul is the BEST narrator ever! Rivetting read as-per-us...
"They drone drone drone , me win" - JangMinChul(Iron/oGsMC)
Prev 1 9 10 11 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 32m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft404
RuFF_SC2 200
Nina 90
-ZergGirl 88
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2123
sorry 29
910 27
yabsab 18
Bale 17
Terrorterran 14
Icarus 5
Dota 2
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1159
taco 317
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox805
Other Games
summit1g8477
JimRising 664
Day[9].tv463
WinterStarcraft319
C9.Mang0284
Livibee154
Sick131
Maynarde125
ViBE99
ArmadaUGS41
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick842
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream156
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Response 11
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota283
League of Legends
• Stunt353
Other Games
• Day9tv463
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
6h 32m
Stellar Fest
8h 32m
The PondCast
1d 5h
OSC
1d 8h
Stellar Fest
1d 8h
OSC
1d 19h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.