• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:12
CEST 20:12
KST 03:12
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)48Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8471 users

A Glimpse into SC2 Progaming - Page 8

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All
Zlasher
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States9129 Posts
October 19 2010 15:36 GMT
#141
Day9 has a bachelors from HMC for math, and is getting/got his masters at USC. I think he'll be okay.
Follow me: www.twitter.com/zlasher
s.a.y
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
Croatia3840 Posts
October 19 2010 15:37 GMT
#142
On October 18 2010 09:03 intrigue wrote:
opened this thread with dread, hoping it wasn't about training house horror stories and why sc2 is doomed. i'm really glad what i read matched what i imagined it was like.


i'll sign that.

I was thinking "gom about to drop sc2 " or something similar.
I am not good with quotes
Champ24
Profile Joined August 2010
177 Posts
October 19 2010 15:42 GMT
#143
On October 20 2010 00:36 ZlaSHeR wrote:
Day9 has a bachelors from HMC for math, and is getting/got his masters at USC. I think he'll be okay.


I stand corrected. If he has a viable transition then he's not the best example. But my point overall remains.
cArn-
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Korea (South)824 Posts
October 19 2010 16:12 GMT
#144
On October 20 2010 00:28 Champ24 wrote:
Sounds like a fun night and all, but I'm curious as to why people choose this as a profession?

I realize this can be interpreted as a troll post, but I am genuinely curious...so I'll try to be as PC as possible because it is not my intent. I have been wondering this for some time.

I relate the decision most similarly to that of an aspiring professional football player. If you take a look at my name, champ24, you may realize I am an avid football fan. Champ Bailey is my favorite player, even though he is past his prime. However, the situation applies to him as well. What do you do after your short career is done? Most professional NFL athletes last 2-3 years in the NFL before they are done. They have then blown their college experience by taking the easiest major possible, and have no real life experience beyond football...which is pointless in 99.99% of professions.

A Denver Bronco, yes, my team even though they suck, was cut from the team a few years ago. The broncos ran into RB injury problems, so they called the dude back to start in the middle of the season. The guy was selling cell phones at the mall. WTF? He probably made a killing for 3 years or so, but now makes minimum wage pitching Sprint contracts to customers. How could you not think about the transition after your career is over?

The same applies to progaming. You have a short career span of playing video games, screwing hot chicks, going to the bars with your buddies for a few years, and then what? It's not like putting "I'm an expert at the 15 nexus FE" or the "polt timing attack" on your resume is going to land you a dream job that can support a family. It may sound down the road kiddos, but odds are you will have a ball and chain. And she's likely not goin to enjoy you throwing down hours upon hours of gaming every day. My video games turn off when the better half gets home from work, even though I love them. The gaming days are over when I have little munchkins running around.

But that aside, the best example I can think of is mr. Day9 himself. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy. If I saw him in the bar the drinks would be on me the whole night. He's hilarious. But I shiver every time he mentions that he made his rent for the month, and how he spends 6 hours a day reviewing funday monday videos. I get the feeling he is a crazy smart guy, but I get the impression he is missing out on life. I'm sure his gaming experience was fun and all, but would a different path have been better?

Like I said, I'm a fan of football but I think choosing it as a career is a terrible idea. I apply the same philosophy to that of pro-gaming. It may sound like this epic ride for a few years, but life is a lot longer than that. And looking at the general consensus of this thread, most people are jealous of it. I don't see it...so why?

TLDR-why do you want to be a pro gamer, and what do you plan to do after the gig is up?


And what do you propose ? Getting the job earning the most possible, therefore dedicating your life to it and not experiencing all the things you would have loved to live ? Some people are fine with this and love living this way, but that's also not the case for a lot of people,

I'm not sure if you ask this question from a general point of view, but if people choose this profession that's because that's what they want to do lol, and what makes them happy, which is I should remind you, the most important thing, earning money from your passion is priceless, even if it means you won't have the same income you'dd have by studying/working by today's standards.

You're supposed to work to live, not the contrary.
Twitter : http://twitter.com/CARNDARAK
DeckOneBell
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States526 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-19 16:41:30
October 19 2010 16:39 GMT
#145
On October 20 2010 01:12 cArn- wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 20 2010 00:28 Champ24 wrote:
Sounds like a fun night and all, but I'm curious as to why people choose this as a profession?

I realize this can be interpreted as a troll post, but I am genuinely curious...so I'll try to be as PC as possible because it is not my intent. I have been wondering this for some time.

I relate the decision most similarly to that of an aspiring professional football player. If you take a look at my name, champ24, you may realize I am an avid football fan. Champ Bailey is my favorite player, even though he is past his prime. However, the situation applies to him as well. What do you do after your short career is done? Most professional NFL athletes last 2-3 years in the NFL before they are done. They have then blown their college experience by taking the easiest major possible, and have no real life experience beyond football...which is pointless in 99.99% of professions.

A Denver Bronco, yes, my team even though they suck, was cut from the team a few years ago. The broncos ran into RB injury problems, so they called the dude back to start in the middle of the season. The guy was selling cell phones at the mall. WTF? He probably made a killing for 3 years or so, but now makes minimum wage pitching Sprint contracts to customers. How could you not think about the transition after your career is over?

The same applies to progaming. You have a short career span of playing video games, screwing hot chicks, going to the bars with your buddies for a few years, and then what? It's not like putting "I'm an expert at the 15 nexus FE" or the "polt timing attack" on your resume is going to land you a dream job that can support a family. It may sound down the road kiddos, but odds are you will have a ball and chain. And she's likely not goin to enjoy you throwing down hours upon hours of gaming every day. My video games turn off when the better half gets home from work, even though I love them. The gaming days are over when I have little munchkins running around.

But that aside, the best example I can think of is mr. Day9 himself. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy. If I saw him in the bar the drinks would be on me the whole night. He's hilarious. But I shiver every time he mentions that he made his rent for the month, and how he spends 6 hours a day reviewing funday monday videos. I get the feeling he is a crazy smart guy, but I get the impression he is missing out on life. I'm sure his gaming experience was fun and all, but would a different path have been better?

Like I said, I'm a fan of football but I think choosing it as a career is a terrible idea. I apply the same philosophy to that of pro-gaming. It may sound like this epic ride for a few years, but life is a lot longer than that. And looking at the general consensus of this thread, most people are jealous of it. I don't see it...so why?

TLDR-why do you want to be a pro gamer, and what do you plan to do after the gig is up?


And what do you propose ? Getting the job earning the most possible, therefore dedicating your life to it and not experiencing all the things you would have loved to live ? Some people are fine with this and love living this way, but that's also not the case for a lot of people,

I'm not sure if you ask this question from a general point of view, but if people choose this profession that's because that's what they want to do lol, and what makes them happy, which is I should remind you, the most important thing, earning money from your passion is priceless, even if it means you won't have the same income you'dd have by studying/working by today's standards.

You're supposed to work to live, not the contrary.


Well, if you're Rekrul, you become a professional poker player and make shit tons of cash.

There's a reason the progamers are admired: it's because they're able to dedicate themselves to a game without the expectation of any real reward (other than, maybe, being able to make a living off of it, very few get rich off of it) because they love the game and competition so much.

And uh, most progamers don't get to go to bars and screw chicks too often.

It's the same reason musicians practice 8+ hours a day. Not for any major payoff (if you're being realistic, very few musicians get rich or famous, though many do make a decent living), but because they love it. The same amount of energy expended elsewhere might earn them more money, but they have no desire to focus their efforts on anything else.

EDIT: Oh, and oops, I agree with this carn fellow.

DOUBLE EDIT: Have you seen Day9 Daily #100? It explains pretty well why some people dedicate their lives to gaming. Gaming's more than just the game itself, it's also everyone involved.
eNtitY~
Profile Joined January 2007
United States1293 Posts
October 19 2010 16:41 GMT
#146
On October 19 2010 23:19 ZlaSHeR wrote:
Rekrul you need to write an autobiography lol, your storytelling is fucking amazing.

Another fucking baller read, i'd give it 5 stars if it were in blogs but this is beyond a blog for sure.


He basically has, look him up on the SCBW liquipedia and it has a very long GREAT read covering from when it was a dream of his in high school till about a year and a half ago.

I just got done reading it, it's an amazingly interesting and well written bio.
http://www.starcraftdream.com
skronch
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States2717 Posts
October 19 2010 16:47 GMT
#147
As always, rekrul delivers
Risen
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States7927 Posts
October 19 2010 16:54 GMT
#148
Or go to liquidpoker and he's still got his blog on the front page
Pufftrees Everyday>its like a rifter that just used X-Factor/Liquid'Nony: I hope no one lip read XD/Holyflare>it's like policy lynching but better/Resident Los Angeles bachelor
iSiN
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States1075 Posts
October 19 2010 16:55 GMT
#149
Rekrul to oGs-TL That team will be a god lineup if you start playing again dan
...I guess they could add boxer too.
Grouty @HoN/PCKJ <--<333 || Jaedong Fan Cafe GFX
MinoMino
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Norway1103 Posts
October 19 2010 16:59 GMT
#150
Oh wow, great read. I got to say, the oGs-TL house and environment sounds really nice. Good to hear you want back in. Good luck.
Blah.
PetitCrabe
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Canada410 Posts
October 19 2010 17:21 GMT
#151
I'm sorry to sound ignorant, but could someone please tell me in what circumstances this even happened? what tournament is this? is this a new team league? help please I'm very confused cause I thought at first he was talking about GSL1....
Marou
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Germany1371 Posts
October 19 2010 18:13 GMT
#152
super blog
i'm gonna finish this wonderful glass of aberlour now.

cheers alcoholic pgm
twitter@RickyMarou
St3MoR
Profile Joined November 2002
Spain3256 Posts
October 19 2010 18:17 GMT
#153
excellent read Rek, keep us posted on your future in progaming!
Prophet in TL of the Makoto0124 ways
Saechiis
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Netherlands4989 Posts
October 19 2010 18:27 GMT
#154
On October 20 2010 00:28 Champ24 wrote:
Sounds like a fun night and all, but I'm curious as to why people choose this as a profession?

I realize this can be interpreted as a troll post, but I am genuinely curious...so I'll try to be as PC as possible because it is not my intent. I have been wondering this for some time.

I relate the decision most similarly to that of an aspiring professional football player. If you take a look at my name, champ24, you may realize I am an avid football fan. Champ Bailey is my favorite player, even though he is past his prime. However, the situation applies to him as well. What do you do after your short career is done? Most professional NFL athletes last 2-3 years in the NFL before they are done. They have then blown their college experience by taking the easiest major possible, and have no real life experience beyond football...which is pointless in 99.99% of professions.

A Denver Bronco, yes, my team even though they suck, was cut from the team a few years ago. The broncos ran into RB injury problems, so they called the dude back to start in the middle of the season. The guy was selling cell phones at the mall. WTF? He probably made a killing for 3 years or so, but now makes minimum wage pitching Sprint contracts to customers. How could you not think about the transition after your career is over?

The same applies to progaming. You have a short career span of playing video games, screwing hot chicks, going to the bars with your buddies for a few years, and then what? It's not like putting "I'm an expert at the 15 nexus FE" or the "polt timing attack" on your resume is going to land you a dream job that can support a family. It may sound down the road kiddos, but odds are you will have a ball and chain. And she's likely not goin to enjoy you throwing down hours upon hours of gaming every day. My video games turn off when the better half gets home from work, even though I love them. The gaming days are over when I have little munchkins running around.

But that aside, the best example I can think of is mr. Day9 himself. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy. If I saw him in the bar the drinks would be on me the whole night. He's hilarious. But I shiver every time he mentions that he made his rent for the month, and how he spends 6 hours a day reviewing funday monday videos. I get the feeling he is a crazy smart guy, but I get the impression he is missing out on life. I'm sure his gaming experience was fun and all, but would a different path have been better?

Like I said, I'm a fan of football but I think choosing it as a career is a terrible idea. I apply the same philosophy to that of pro-gaming. It may sound like this epic ride for a few years, but life is a lot longer than that. And looking at the general consensus of this thread, most people are jealous of it. I don't see it...so why?

TLDR-why do you want to be a pro gamer, and what do you plan to do after the gig is up?



It's really simple, people choose that lifestyle because they want to. You seem like the kind of person that feels obligated to follow the societal standards; build your career, get married, have kids ... die. And maybe that's exactly what you wanted to do with your life.

It's just sad to me that there are so many people that don't do what they want with their life because they are trying to fulfill some perceived purpose in life. They spend their youth learning their asses off so they can work 9 to 5 shifts for the rest of their lifes climbing the ceremonial ladder and accumulating money that they'll invest in botoxing their face when they're old, retired and unable to do the things they wanted to do in the first place.

These progamers have the balls to do what they wanted with their life instead of becoming a lawyer like dad wanted. They'll probably have good memories of these days for the rest of their lives while the guys working "an honest job" are busy working towards some future happiness (which may or may not come).

In short, life is fucking short ... you can't worry all the time about what other people think. There's no such thing as good or right things to do with your life and no-one's going to get punished or rewarded after they die. People should stop thinking that what 99% of the other people are doing must be the "good way".
I think esports is pretty nice.
Gruntt
Profile Joined August 2010
United States175 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-19 18:49:09
October 19 2010 18:48 GMT
#155
{88}lurker /cheer

lurker vs 4aiur~stings? or E}{iler~Guns!
Roggay
Profile Joined April 2010
Switzerland6320 Posts
October 19 2010 19:07 GMT
#156
Rekrul oldboy go!!!

Nice read!!!
Reptarem
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
155 Posts
October 19 2010 19:15 GMT
#157
On October 20 2010 03:27 Saechiis wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 20 2010 00:28 Champ24 wrote:
Sounds like a fun night and all, but I'm curious as to why people choose this as a profession?

I realize this can be interpreted as a troll post, but I am genuinely curious...so I'll try to be as PC as possible because it is not my intent. I have been wondering this for some time.

I relate the decision most similarly to that of an aspiring professional football player. If you take a look at my name, champ24, you may realize I am an avid football fan. Champ Bailey is my favorite player, even though he is past his prime. However, the situation applies to him as well. What do you do after your short career is done? Most professional NFL athletes last 2-3 years in the NFL before they are done. They have then blown their college experience by taking the easiest major possible, and have no real life experience beyond football...which is pointless in 99.99% of professions.

A Denver Bronco, yes, my team even though they suck, was cut from the team a few years ago. The broncos ran into RB injury problems, so they called the dude back to start in the middle of the season. The guy was selling cell phones at the mall. WTF? He probably made a killing for 3 years or so, but now makes minimum wage pitching Sprint contracts to customers. How could you not think about the transition after your career is over?

The same applies to progaming. You have a short career span of playing video games, screwing hot chicks, going to the bars with your buddies for a few years, and then what? It's not like putting "I'm an expert at the 15 nexus FE" or the "polt timing attack" on your resume is going to land you a dream job that can support a family. It may sound down the road kiddos, but odds are you will have a ball and chain. And she's likely not goin to enjoy you throwing down hours upon hours of gaming every day. My video games turn off when the better half gets home from work, even though I love them. The gaming days are over when I have little munchkins running around.

But that aside, the best example I can think of is mr. Day9 himself. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy. If I saw him in the bar the drinks would be on me the whole night. He's hilarious. But I shiver every time he mentions that he made his rent for the month, and how he spends 6 hours a day reviewing funday monday videos. I get the feeling he is a crazy smart guy, but I get the impression he is missing out on life. I'm sure his gaming experience was fun and all, but would a different path have been better?

Like I said, I'm a fan of football but I think choosing it as a career is a terrible idea. I apply the same philosophy to that of pro-gaming. It may sound like this epic ride for a few years, but life is a lot longer than that. And looking at the general consensus of this thread, most people are jealous of it. I don't see it...so why?

TLDR-why do you want to be a pro gamer, and what do you plan to do after the gig is up?



It's really simple, people choose that lifestyle because they want to. You seem like the kind of person that feels obligated to follow the societal standards; build your career, get married, have kids ... die. And maybe that's exactly what you wanted to do with your life.

It's just sad to me that there are so many people that don't do what they want with their life because they are trying to fulfill some perceived purpose in life. They spend their youth learning their asses off so they can work 9 to 5 shifts for the rest of their lifes climbing the ceremonial ladder and accumulating money that they'll invest in botoxing their face when they're old, retired and unable to do the things they wanted to do in the first place.

These progamers have the balls to do what they wanted with their life instead of becoming a lawyer like dad wanted. They'll probably have good memories of these days for the rest of their lives while the guys working "an honest job" are busy working towards some future happiness (which may or may not come).

In short, life is fucking short ... you can't worry all the time about what other people think. There's no such thing as good or right things to do with your life and no-one's going to get punished or rewarded after they die. People should stop thinking that what 99% of the other people are doing must be the "good way".


Great post.
CopperLeague
Profile Joined June 2010
154 Posts
October 19 2010 19:17 GMT
#158
On October 20 2010 03:27 Saechiis wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 20 2010 00:28 Champ24 wrote:
Sounds like a fun night and all, but I'm curious as to why people choose this as a profession?

I realize this can be interpreted as a troll post, but I am genuinely curious...so I'll try to be as PC as possible because it is not my intent. I have been wondering this for some time.

I relate the decision most similarly to that of an aspiring professional football player. If you take a look at my name, champ24, you may realize I am an avid football fan. Champ Bailey is my favorite player, even though he is past his prime. However, the situation applies to him as well. What do you do after your short career is done? Most professional NFL athletes last 2-3 years in the NFL before they are done. They have then blown their college experience by taking the easiest major possible, and have no real life experience beyond football...which is pointless in 99.99% of professions.

A Denver Bronco, yes, my team even though they suck, was cut from the team a few years ago. The broncos ran into RB injury problems, so they called the dude back to start in the middle of the season. The guy was selling cell phones at the mall. WTF? He probably made a killing for 3 years or so, but now makes minimum wage pitching Sprint contracts to customers. How could you not think about the transition after your career is over?

The same applies to progaming. You have a short career span of playing video games, screwing hot chicks, going to the bars with your buddies for a few years, and then what? It's not like putting "I'm an expert at the 15 nexus FE" or the "polt timing attack" on your resume is going to land you a dream job that can support a family. It may sound down the road kiddos, but odds are you will have a ball and chain. And she's likely not goin to enjoy you throwing down hours upon hours of gaming every day. My video games turn off when the better half gets home from work, even though I love them. The gaming days are over when I have little munchkins running around.

But that aside, the best example I can think of is mr. Day9 himself. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy. If I saw him in the bar the drinks would be on me the whole night. He's hilarious. But I shiver every time he mentions that he made his rent for the month, and how he spends 6 hours a day reviewing funday monday videos. I get the feeling he is a crazy smart guy, but I get the impression he is missing out on life. I'm sure his gaming experience was fun and all, but would a different path have been better?

Like I said, I'm a fan of football but I think choosing it as a career is a terrible idea. I apply the same philosophy to that of pro-gaming. It may sound like this epic ride for a few years, but life is a lot longer than that. And looking at the general consensus of this thread, most people are jealous of it. I don't see it...so why?

TLDR-why do you want to be a pro gamer, and what do you plan to do after the gig is up?



It's really simple, people choose that lifestyle because they want to. You seem like the kind of person that feels obligated to follow the societal standards; build your career, get married, have kids ... die. And maybe that's exactly what you wanted to do with your life.

It's just sad to me that there are so many people that don't do what they want with their life because they are trying to fulfill some perceived purpose in life. They spend their youth learning their asses off so they can work 9 to 5 shifts for the rest of their lifes climbing the ceremonial ladder and accumulating money that they'll invest in botoxing their face when they're old, retired and unable to do the things they wanted to do in the first place.

These progamers have the balls to do what they wanted with their life instead of becoming a lawyer like dad wanted. They'll probably have good memories of these days for the rest of their lives while the guys working "an honest job" are busy working towards some future happiness (which may or may not come).

In short, life is fucking short ... you can't worry all the time about what other people think. There's no such thing as good or right things to do with your life and no-one's going to get punished or rewarded after they die. People should stop thinking that what 99% of the other people are doing must be the "good way".


Pretty much exactly what I was going to say. Not a fan of the "back-up plan" idea. If you love something, do it.
FindingPride
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States1001 Posts
October 19 2010 19:18 GMT
#159
On October 20 2010 00:28 Champ24 wrote:
Sounds like a fun night and all, but I'm curious as to why people choose this as a profession?

I realize this can be interpreted as a troll post, but I am genuinely curious...so I'll try to be as PC as possible because it is not my intent. I have been wondering this for some time.

I relate the decision most similarly to that of an aspiring professional football player. If you take a look at my name, champ24, you may realize I am an avid football fan. Champ Bailey is my favorite player, even though he is past his prime. However, the situation applies to him as well. What do you do after your short career is done? Most professional NFL athletes last 2-3 years in the NFL before they are done. They have then blown their college experience by taking the easiest major possible, and have no real life experience beyond football...which is pointless in 99.99% of professions.

A Denver Bronco, yes, my team even though they suck, was cut from the team a few years ago. The broncos ran into RB injury problems, so they called the dude back to start in the middle of the season. The guy was selling cell phones at the mall. WTF? He probably made a killing for 3 years or so, but now makes minimum wage pitching Sprint contracts to customers. How could you not think about the transition after your career is over?

The same applies to progaming. You have a short career span of playing video games, screwing hot chicks, going to the bars with your buddies for a few years, and then what? It's not like putting "I'm an expert at the 15 nexus FE" or the "polt timing attack" on your resume is going to land you a dream job that can support a family. It may sound down the road kiddos, but odds are you will have a ball and chain. And she's likely not goin to enjoy you throwing down hours upon hours of gaming every day. My video games turn off when the better half gets home from work, even though I love them. The gaming days are over when I have little munchkins running around.

But that aside, the best example I can think of is mr. Day9 himself. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy. If I saw him in the bar the drinks would be on me the whole night. He's hilarious. But I shiver every time he mentions that he made his rent for the month, and how he spends 6 hours a day reviewing funday monday videos. I get the feeling he is a crazy smart guy, but I get the impression he is missing out on life. I'm sure his gaming experience was fun and all, but would a different path have been better?

Like I said, I'm a fan of football but I think choosing it as a career is a terrible idea. I apply the same philosophy to that of pro-gaming. It may sound like this epic ride for a few years, but life is a lot longer than that. And looking at the general consensus of this thread, most people are jealous of it. I don't see it...so why?

TLDR-why do you want to be a pro gamer, and what do you plan to do after the gig is up?

what an utterly boring way to live life if you dont follow your dreams just because society doesn't reward you properly.
Conform or die huh?
Ohdamn
Profile Joined June 2010
Germany765 Posts
October 19 2010 19:22 GMT
#160
good read sir

would love to see such "blogs" from TLO/Jinro/Haypro
"If you can chill....chill!"
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 2
IntoTheiNu 897
ComeBackTV 860
SteadfastSC560
TaKeTV 482
LamboSC2355
IndyStarCraft 209
Rex111
EnkiAlexander 69
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 560
LamboSC2 355
mouzHeroMarine 327
IndyStarCraft 209
ProTech134
Rex 111
UpATreeSC 108
JuggernautJason1
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 23086
firebathero 206
Rush 128
Sexy 27
Trap 21
Shine 16
Bale 15
Djem5 7
yabsab 5
Dota 2
Gorgc7404
qojqva1571
420jenkins138
monkeys_forever29
Counter-Strike
fl0m1620
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1894
crisheroes1174
Liquid`Hasu574
XaKoH 164
MindelVK16
Other Games
Grubby2337
FrodaN810
ceh9784
Beastyqt613
ArmadaUGS191
KnowMe152
Hui .150
C9.Mang0126
QueenE114
Trikslyr74
Mew2King62
Dewaltoss60
byalli43
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream71
Other Games
BasetradeTV7
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Reevou 8
• Adnapsc2 5
• intothetv
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• IndyKCrew
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 29
• FirePhoenix13
• 80smullet 6
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• Nemesis2305
League of Legends
• TFBlade1121
Other Games
• imaqtpie809
• Shiphtur257
• WagamamaTV257
Upcoming Events
OSC
5h 48m
Stellar Fest
18h 48m
OSC
1d 3h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 15h
Online Event
1d 16h
FEL
1d 21h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 22h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.