• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:59
CEST 12:59
KST 19:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War615.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion TL Sidebar missing streams ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7376 users

Interesting Discovery (Terran) - Page 2

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
rA.BreeZe
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Canada56 Posts
February 27 2010 22:19 GMT
#21
*waits for someone to complain about how this will make sc2 suck*
baeracaed
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States604 Posts
February 27 2010 22:20 GMT
#22
Dude! Great find, props.
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ Cookies! ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
sob3k
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States7572 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-27 22:27:29
February 27 2010 22:24 GMT
#23
On February 28 2010 07:19 rA.BreeZe wrote:
*waits for someone to complain about how this will make sc2 suck*


you only had to wait negative 2 posts!

On February 28 2010 07:18 azndsh wrote:
I would worry about things like this "dumbing" down the game a lot more than auto-mine or MBS


I confess, I don't really understand how an advanced micro trick will "dumb down the game", but whatever...
In Hungry Hungry Hippos there are no such constraints—one can constantly attempt to collect marbles with one’s hippo, limited only by one’s hippo-levering capabilities.
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
February 27 2010 22:36 GMT
#24
You don't see how the game making micro decisions for you is dumbing down the game......? I hate this - it's a skill to not overkill units but instead split fire when you need to =/
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
-orb-
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States5770 Posts
February 27 2010 22:36 GMT
#25
Wow that sounds really misguided to have in the game.

I guess when you have masses of ranged units the thing to do is to shiftclick attack through every one of the enemy's units on your way to the battle and if your opponent didn't do the same thing you'll win?

jeez if everyone starts doing this it will be like whoever engages first wins
'life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery'
how sad that sc2 has no shield battery :(
Rothbardian
Profile Joined January 2010
United States497 Posts
February 27 2010 22:37 GMT
#26
On February 28 2010 07:36 -orb- wrote:
Wow that sounds really misguided to have in the game.

I guess when you have masses of ranged units the thing to do is to shiftclick attack through every one of the enemy's units on your way to the battle and if your opponent didn't do the same thing you'll win?

jeez if everyone starts doing this it will be like whoever engages first wins


Tanks aren't that great.
"A tax-supported, compulsory educational system is the complete model of the totalitarian state." - Isabel Paterson <3
sob3k
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States7572 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-27 22:41:20
February 27 2010 22:39 GMT
#27
Oh, I see what you mean, yeah...

hmmm, I'm not sure what to think about this one, the game is taking away overkill prevention micro (keep in mind this ONLY occurs in units whose projectiles do not take time to reach a target), but you can sort of use this tendancy as a micro trick in itself...we will see
In Hungry Hungry Hippos there are no such constraints—one can constantly attempt to collect marbles with one’s hippo, limited only by one’s hippo-levering capabilities.
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
February 27 2010 22:42 GMT
#28
On February 28 2010 07:36 -orb- wrote:
Wow that sounds really misguided to have in the game.

I guess when you have masses of ranged units the thing to do is to shiftclick attack through every one of the enemy's units on your way to the battle and if your opponent didn't do the same thing you'll win?

jeez if everyone starts doing this it will be like whoever engages first wins

I mean, you already do this (at least if you have long ranged units), but this removes the step of making sure you don't overkill.

Meh, I don't see it as a HUGE deal but it's not something I like. Is the zergling vs probe problem still in the game? (I don't play zerg - but the one where if you told 6 lings to attack a probe in a mineral path, they would spread out and attack different ones)?
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
IceCube
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Croatia1403 Posts
February 27 2010 22:46 GMT
#29
Nice find! It will be useful when I get my hands on original upon release. Hope this doesn't change till then tho.
Forever Vulture.. :(
Jazriel
Profile Joined April 2008
Canada404 Posts
February 27 2010 22:50 GMT
#30
On February 28 2010 07:17 Rothbardian wrote:It's not even that, but tanks get taken out by blink and chargelots...since they are so gas heavy you won't have much support, and the little support you do have will be killed by your splash. One siege tank shot obliterates marines, and chargelots are on your MM in a sec. It's hard to support 2-3 Facs early before Toss gets up immortals/Colossus, and if you go heavy tank, Colossus will rape you.

You need that gas for Medivacs/Vikings and Ghosts. Gas comes much slower in SCII than in SCI.

Anyways, take that as you will from 55-31 Plat player. I actually find my Terran matchups the hardest since I have no fucking clue what I should do. Sometimes I 2 Fac if I don't see the opponent is going Banshee. Then it turns into SCI with mass siege tank lines and drops...which isn't exactly my strong point (Siege Lines) since I'm an Age/RA95 player :p

Once the game gets to that point drops are nullified by Vikings and Thors and Turrets which are a lot better in SCII than in SCI. What I've found if you can't kill off the Terran early/mid game it's going to be a long ass game 45Min-1Hr and end up in BC battles.

I think I might try some sneaky ghost nuke play and hellion harass....


But how do stalkers get sight of tanks on a cliff? Turrets > Observers. You say Chargelots > Marines, but are Chargelots > Helions?

I see tank strats being extremely effective in SC2, just no one seems to do them right. I don't know of any hybrid bio/mech strats for SCI yet people seem to think they can mass M&M and still make tanks.
#1 LoL player
lololol
Profile Joined February 2006
5198 Posts
February 27 2010 22:51 GMT
#31
This is probably due to units dying instantly instead of on the next frame, and since dead units can't be attacked the tanks simply choose another target.
I'll call Nada.
Picture
Profile Joined August 2009
Canada75 Posts
February 27 2010 22:53 GMT
#32
So what happens when you don't target fire at all?
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26004 Posts
February 27 2010 22:56 GMT
#33
Cool. If you just let them fire automatically wouldn't they do this anyways? What's the advantage to queuing manually?
Moderator
MorroW
Profile Joined August 2008
Sweden3522 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-27 23:00:24
February 27 2010 22:56 GMT
#34
great find, big tnx to u, altho im not using siege tanks so much

ye i thought the same thing as u chill :p the tanks will spread out even if ur not touching them? and same goes to all ranged units without projectiles?
Progamerpls no copy pasterino
Fallen
Profile Joined October 2005
Canada192 Posts
February 27 2010 22:58 GMT
#35
yea I dont get this at all, why would you shift queue.. if they would do it normally?
oh hay
Rothbardian
Profile Joined January 2010
United States497 Posts
February 27 2010 23:03 GMT
#36
On February 28 2010 07:50 Jazriel wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 28 2010 07:17 Rothbardian wrote:It's not even that, but tanks get taken out by blink and chargelots...since they are so gas heavy you won't have much support, and the little support you do have will be killed by your splash. One siege tank shot obliterates marines, and chargelots are on your MM in a sec. It's hard to support 2-3 Facs early before Toss gets up immortals/Colossus, and if you go heavy tank, Colossus will rape you.

You need that gas for Medivacs/Vikings and Ghosts. Gas comes much slower in SCII than in SCI.

Anyways, take that as you will from 55-31 Plat player. I actually find my Terran matchups the hardest since I have no fucking clue what I should do. Sometimes I 2 Fac if I don't see the opponent is going Banshee. Then it turns into SCI with mass siege tank lines and drops...which isn't exactly my strong point (Siege Lines) since I'm an Age/RA95 player :p

Once the game gets to that point drops are nullified by Vikings and Thors and Turrets which are a lot better in SCII than in SCI. What I've found if you can't kill off the Terran early/mid game it's going to be a long ass game 45Min-1Hr and end up in BC battles.

I think I might try some sneaky ghost nuke play and hellion harass....


But how do stalkers get sight of tanks on a cliff? Turrets > Observers. You say Chargelots > Marines, but are Chargelots > Helions?

I see tank strats being extremely effective in SC2, just no one seems to do them right. I don't know of any hybrid bio/mech strats for SCI yet people seem to think they can mass M&M and still make tanks.


Your tanks won't be on a cliff when you push.
"A tax-supported, compulsory educational system is the complete model of the totalitarian state." - Isabel Paterson <3
PredY
Profile Joined September 2009
Czech Republic1731 Posts
February 27 2010 23:04 GMT
#37
well it's better to target fire the hydras rather than let the tanks target the lings and kill half of your marines in the process
http://www.twitch.tv/czelpredy
wintergt
Profile Joined February 2010
Belgium1335 Posts
February 27 2010 23:05 GMT
#38
On February 28 2010 07:58 Fallen wrote:
yea I dont get this at all, why would you shift queue.. if they would do it normally?

He can only play vs himself but in real play you don't need to shift queue ofcourse because tanks will auto-engage and avoid overkill.
here i am
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
February 27 2010 23:06 GMT
#39
I'm curious which units this is relevant for. As far as I can remember:

Terran: Marine, Reaper, Ghost, Tank, Thor, Viking (ground attack), Auto-Turret
Protoss: Immortal
Zerg: None

It seems that of those, only the Tank, Thor, and Immortal actually do enough damage for this to be of huge consequence, and even then, it's not necessarily worth using in all situations. Good to know about, but I don't think it will have an overly large impact on micro, especially since I haven't seen any of those units in large enough numbers that splitting damage manually would be especially hard.
Moderator
DeCoup
Profile Joined September 2006
Australia1933 Posts
February 27 2010 23:07 GMT
#40
Very nice. I don't think waypointing is needed tho is it? If an ally had the 10 marines in your tank range and broke alliance they would still not overkill and chain the whole lot down.
Waypoint targeting key units in a wave will be very very good with this system tho, because lack of overkill will stop wasted shots.
Exellent find!
"Poor guy. I really did not deserve that win. So this is what it's like to play Protoss..." - IdrA
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
herO vs HackErIsTopLIVE!
ByuN vs TBD
TBD vs Classic
CranKy Ducklings120
SHIN 57
CranKy Ducklings SOOP49
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 252
ByuN 247
mouzHeroMarine 206
SHIN 57
MindelVK 17
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 49941
Calm 9593
Rain 2802
FanTaSy 1022
soO 978
BeSt 848
Bisu 657
Stork 374
Soulkey 324
Soma 287
[ Show more ]
Rush 221
firebathero 206
Last 138
Pusan 84
Mind 75
Light 66
Snow 60
Sexy 54
ToSsGirL 53
Shinee 45
Sharp 37
Killer 29
hero 25
Mong 25
Trap 23
Sacsri 20
Hm[arnc] 20
HiyA 18
yabsab 17
sorry 16
zelot 16
Shine 15
Terrorterran 12
Noble 8
IntoTheRainbow 5
scan(afreeca) 4
Dota 2
Gorgc7118
League of Legends
Reynor65
Counter-Strike
byalli681
x6flipin197
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King93
Other Games
gofns27674
singsing1869
Pyrionflax231
Chillindude9
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV228
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 9
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 62
• Gemini_19 2
• Dystopia_ 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV418
League of Legends
• Jankos3410
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
4h 1m
BSL Open Qualifier
8h 1m
BSL Open Qualifier
8h 1m
OSC
12h 1m
OSC
1d 1h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
5 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.