• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:55
CEST 21:55
KST 04:55
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9602 users

TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 - Page 201

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 199 200 201 202 203 234 Next
RvB
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Netherlands6322 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-02-28 19:07:37
February 28 2018 19:04 GMT
#4001
Double post
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
February 28 2018 19:21 GMT
#4002
Got a little scare after straining my pec today. No fun. I only get about 5 hours a week in the gym lol.
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-02-28 21:25:14
February 28 2018 21:16 GMT
#4003

On February 28 2018 14:48 decafchicken wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 26 2018 23:51 RvB wrote:
On February 26 2018 06:51 Jerubaal wrote:
If there's anyone else out there who's struggling to put on mass, I'll throw in my vote for a 5 day split. I've never done a 5 day split before so I can't really comment, but I'm loving the Mutant Strength program. I'm seeing some decent results even after just a few weeks.


Between work, study and a social life a 5 day split is near impossible. I can barely manage my 3 day split...

I train 5-6 days a week, 2-3 hours at a time. And usually an extra hour doing mobility/recovery during lunch. Still find time for rugby, work, social life. I do pretty much plan my day around getting my workout in.


That's actually kinda crazy, unless you're a student or sleepless elite. I'm going to assume rugby amounts to at least an hour a day, which means (unless you only go out on Fri/Sat/Sun and sacrifice sleep for it), you're basically finding 4-5 hours a day + work + social time. That's hard to imagine. Work presumably eats at least 9 hours, and that's assuming an efficient commute, no work breaks, etc. If you use your lunch break for mobility stuff, I do suppose that helps that 9 hour figure to be realistic.

Still, that leaves you with 16-9= 7 hours in the day of which you spend 4-6 of them doing your training + rugby, which leaves you with 1-3 hours of "free time". No way can you eat/shower/clean/dress yourself in less than one hour a day, and that's probably a little optimistic, which leaves you with somewhere between one to two hours to be social; and that includes the driving time to get there.

Seems hard unless you've just a low hour job or are one of the blessed sleepless elite that can cruise on 4 hours a night.


On February 28 2018 23:13 zatic wrote:
This just doesn't add up to me Maybe I am working hours too long. But say I am done by 7pm, with 2 hours gym that's 9pm, commute + dinner 10:30pm. Not sure how much social life is happening at your guy's on a work day at 11pm, but for me after work + gym + dinner nothing is happening anymore (unless it's a social dinner!).

The only way to fit in more is cutting into sleep, but then I might just as well reduce workouts. More workout with less sleep doesn't ... work out for me.


Done at 7pm is pretty late. For someone doing a 'generic' 40 hours/week that means you'd probably be starting work around 10am. If you're regularling going into work at 7-8am in the morning and staying till 7pm...then yea you're working some serious hours and it gets pretty hard to work in all those things around a 60-80 hour work week.

For a typical 40 hour a week person it might look like:

5:45am - Wake up
6:00am - Gym Smash
8:00am - Food/Shower/Ready to go to work
9:00am - Work
6:00pm - Dinner
6:30pm - Hobbies/Social/Whatever
10:00pm - Sleep

For a college student with 15 credits and 20 hours a week part time it might look something like:

8:00am - Wake up, breakfast
9:00am - Class/Work
5:30pm - Gym Smash
7:30pm - Eat, shower, get ready for social things
8:00pm - House Party & Clubbsssss
12:00-2:00am - Drunkenly stagger in door and pass out in the kitchen

But yea, once you start to hit 60 hours a week for work, or god forbid something crazy like 80...then you pretty much have to do the "pick two" of social, work, fitness/hobbies. Weekends can be the savior though. If you take two training days on a weekend, that gives you at least two days during the week where you can go out .

In your example, it might also make sense to go socializing out after work, more in the 6-9 time frame, hit the gym afterwords, and then to bed.
EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
February 28 2018 21:17 GMT
#4004
On March 01 2018 04:21 mordek wrote:
Got a little scare after straining my pec today. No fun. I only get about 5 hours a week in the gym lol.


Ugh. Is it okay? Injuries are the worst.

Still not totally sure about my lat. I'm gonna test on Friday and still deadlift (not direct lat work obv, but is still involved) and then I think take a week off, time for a deload anyway, and then work back up to it from basically nothing and hope I just never notice any problems on the way back up.
EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
February 28 2018 21:42 GMT
#4005
On February 28 2018 08:32 L_Master wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 28 2018 03:29 Jerubaal wrote:
Well, I can't deny the time part, but I find the 5 day split less "tiring" than 3 days because you're only doing one major lift.


Perhaps I'm not understanding, but why would you have only one major lift on 5 day split vs 3 day? Seems like you can pretty easily have a three day split that looks like:

Monday - Deadlift
Wed - Bench
Fri - Skwaat



Comparing apples to oranges a bit here, but my usual workout would be like 3x5 @85%. Some sample weights for my current program would be 4x5 at 60/65/75/75%.
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
March 01 2018 02:30 GMT
#4006
On March 01 2018 06:17 L_Master wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 01 2018 04:21 mordek wrote:
Got a little scare after straining my pec today. No fun. I only get about 5 hours a week in the gym lol.


Ugh. Is it okay? Injuries are the worst.

Still not totally sure about my lat. I'm gonna test on Friday and still deadlift (not direct lat work obv, but is still involved) and then I think take a week off, time for a deload anyway, and then work back up to it from basically nothing and hope I just never notice any problems on the way back up.

We'll see, I racked the rep I was doing and just called it. Still sore now but it doesn't feel super serious but I think if I tried to bench I'd definitely hurt myself.
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
March 01 2018 04:53 GMT
#4007
On March 01 2018 06:16 L_Master wrote:

Show nested quote +
On February 28 2018 14:48 decafchicken wrote:
On February 26 2018 23:51 RvB wrote:
On February 26 2018 06:51 Jerubaal wrote:
If there's anyone else out there who's struggling to put on mass, I'll throw in my vote for a 5 day split. I've never done a 5 day split before so I can't really comment, but I'm loving the Mutant Strength program. I'm seeing some decent results even after just a few weeks.


Between work, study and a social life a 5 day split is near impossible. I can barely manage my 3 day split...

I train 5-6 days a week, 2-3 hours at a time. And usually an extra hour doing mobility/recovery during lunch. Still find time for rugby, work, social life. I do pretty much plan my day around getting my workout in.


That's actually kinda crazy, unless you're a student or sleepless elite. I'm going to assume rugby amounts to at least an hour a day, which means (unless you only go out on Fri/Sat/Sun and sacrifice sleep for it), you're basically finding 4-5 hours a day + work + social time. That's hard to imagine. Work presumably eats at least 9 hours, and that's assuming an efficient commute, no work breaks, etc. If you use your lunch break for mobility stuff, I do suppose that helps that 9 hour figure to be realistic.

Still, that leaves you with 16-9= 7 hours in the day of which you spend 4-6 of them doing your training + rugby, which leaves you with 1-3 hours of "free time". No way can you eat/shower/clean/dress yourself in less than one hour a day, and that's probably a little optimistic, which leaves you with somewhere between one to two hours to be social; and that includes the driving time to get there.

Seems hard unless you've just a low hour job or are one of the blessed sleepless elite that can cruise on 4 hours a night.


Show nested quote +
On February 28 2018 23:13 zatic wrote:
This just doesn't add up to me Maybe I am working hours too long. But say I am done by 7pm, with 2 hours gym that's 9pm, commute + dinner 10:30pm. Not sure how much social life is happening at your guy's on a work day at 11pm, but for me after work + gym + dinner nothing is happening anymore (unless it's a social dinner!).

The only way to fit in more is cutting into sleep, but then I might just as well reduce workouts. More workout with less sleep doesn't ... work out for me.


Done at 7pm is pretty late. For someone doing a 'generic' 40 hours/week that means you'd probably be starting work around 10am. If you're regularling going into work at 7-8am in the morning and staying till 7pm...then yea you're working some serious hours and it gets pretty hard to work in all those things around a 60-80 hour work week.

For a typical 40 hour a week person it might look like:

5:45am - Wake up
6:00am - Gym Smash
8:00am - Food/Shower/Ready to go to work
9:00am - Work
6:00pm - Dinner
6:30pm - Hobbies/Social/Whatever
10:00pm - Sleep

For a college student with 15 credits and 20 hours a week part time it might look something like:

8:00am - Wake up, breakfast
9:00am - Class/Work
5:30pm - Gym Smash
7:30pm - Eat, shower, get ready for social things
8:00pm - House Party & Clubbsssss
12:00-2:00am - Drunkenly stagger in door and pass out in the kitchen

But yea, once you start to hit 60 hours a week for work, or god forbid something crazy like 80...then you pretty much have to do the "pick two" of social, work, fitness/hobbies. Weekends can be the savior though. If you take two training days on a weekend, that gives you at least two days during the week where you can go out .

In your example, it might also make sense to go socializing out after work, more in the 6-9 time frame, hit the gym afterwords, and then to bed.

I generally keep my work around 40-45 hrs/week
MWF:
12-7 sleep
8-12 work
12-1 gym (mostly mobility, recovery, rehab work)
1-5 work
5-8gym
8-12 shop/cook/girlfriend/go out/etc.
Tues & Thurs is same but I cut back my workout to 5-630 then go to rugby 7-9
Saturday - lift in morning or play rugby, then rest of the day for errands/social life.
Sunday - rest, socialize, prep for the week.

I am definitely never bored nor do I have much free time to do stuff outside that schedule and get fairly annoyed when I have to run errands and shit that fuck my schedule up. When I can work from home it makes things a lot easier too.

how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
March 01 2018 05:45 GMT
#4008
My brother got a stress fracture in his sternum and appears to be fucked for life.
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
March 01 2018 07:43 GMT
#4009
On March 01 2018 14:45 Jerubaal wrote:
My brother got a stress fracture in his sternum and appears to be fucked for life.


That sounds pretty shitty.

Why is this a fucked for life thing though? Most sfx you can take time off, often an agonizing several months to a year, let it heal, and then return to sport as normal. Googling suggests this is a common approach, and that athletes have returned to competitive levels within a year.
EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
March 01 2018 08:53 GMT
#4010
On March 01 2018 06:16 L_Master wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 28 2018 23:13 zatic wrote:
This just doesn't add up to me Maybe I am working hours too long. But say I am done by 7pm, with 2 hours gym that's 9pm, commute + dinner 10:30pm. Not sure how much social life is happening at your guy's on a work day at 11pm, but for me after work + gym + dinner nothing is happening anymore (unless it's a social dinner!).

The only way to fit in more is cutting into sleep, but then I might just as well reduce workouts. More workout with less sleep doesn't ... work out for me.


Done at 7pm is pretty late. For someone doing a 'generic' 40 hours/week that means you'd probably be starting work around 10am. If you're regularling going into work at 7-8am in the morning and staying till 7pm...then yea you're working some serious hours and it gets pretty hard to work in all those things around a 60-80 hour work week.

For a typical 40 hour a week person it might look like:
[....]

But yea, once you start to hit 60 hours a week for work, or god forbid something crazy like 80...then you pretty much have to do the "pick two" of social, work, fitness/hobbies. Weekends can be the savior though. If you take two training days on a weekend, that gives you at least two days during the week where you can go out .

In your example, it might also make sense to go socializing out after work, more in the 6-9 time frame, hit the gym afterwords, and then to bed.

Oh for sure work is the time killer here for me. My day is more

6:30am Get up, breakfast
7:30am ish workday until 7pm ish
7:30pm gym
9pm dinner
10pm GF, study, reading
12pm sleepy time

I know what I am in for and I am getting compensated for it so I am not complaining. As you say though it means social life is a weekend thing most of the time.

I am usually thinking though that people would lose more time to work that strictly 8h, especially considering commuting (of which I have close to zero). If you can stay within reason on your work hours AND have very little to commute then I suppose you can fit a lot more into one day, sure.
ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-03-01 10:20:45
March 01 2018 10:20 GMT
#4011
I deliberately have no social life aside from when my lady visits on the weekends and I walk less than 10 minutes to work, so its easy for me to do the following:
5 wake
5:30-7:30 gym
8-5 work
5:30-6 dinner
9-5 sleep
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
March 01 2018 15:28 GMT
#4012
On March 01 2018 16:43 L_Master wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 01 2018 14:45 Jerubaal wrote:
My brother got a stress fracture in his sternum and appears to be fucked for life.


That sounds pretty shitty.

Why is this a fucked for life thing though? Most sfx you can take time off, often an agonizing several months to a year, let it heal, and then return to sport as normal. Googling suggests this is a common approach, and that athletes have returned to competitive levels within a year.


He doesn't even really lift, but, every time he tries to lift, he reinjures it. It's not like you can put a cast on it or something.
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-03-03 09:52:02
March 03 2018 08:38 GMT
#4013
Had some fun getting after it at our little mock meet today. Need to remember to film widescreen lol




Pretty satisfied overall with the results...aside from my comedic untrained squat. Think I'm going to go ahead and start actually squatting now, even if it means I can only get in 2-3 solid workouts a week on the bike. That part is embarrassing. More thoughts on video description.

Did not realize how awkward I am dropping the weight after a deadlift. Have to fix that for the camera

Lifts from my friends:
+ Show Spoiler +




The first guy is honestly kinda crazy. He's been in the gym twice. Sedentary guy. Almost benches 185.
EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
March 03 2018 12:07 GMT
#4014
Sounds like fun, good work on your first training cycle. Getting strong is more a marathon than a sprint, just keep at it.
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-03-03 19:44:24
March 03 2018 13:52 GMT
#4015
Edit: On second thought
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Malinor
Profile Joined November 2008
Germany4758 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-03-05 15:42:13
March 05 2018 15:41 GMT
#4016
On March 03 2018 17:38 L_Master wrote:
Had some fun getting after it at our little mock meet today. Need to remember to film widescreen lol

https://youtu.be/QKGhwzlcr2w


Pretty satisfied overall with the results...aside from my comedic untrained squat. Think I'm going to go ahead and start actually squatting now, even if it means I can only get in 2-3 solid workouts a week on the bike. That part is embarrassing. More thoughts on video description.

Did not realize how awkward I am dropping the weight after a deadlift. Have to fix that for the camera

Lifts from my friends:
+ Show Spoiler +

https://youtu.be/G3oIbg0ZfLw
https://youtu.be/j1sFWagPqqE
https://youtu.be/2nwpJbItSHs

The first guy is honestly kinda crazy. He's been in the gym twice. Sedentary guy. Almost benches 185.


You made some really nice progress in the Bench and the Deadlift, especially the Deadlift.
Just some things to note for your first real competition (as I recall you wanted to do one):

Squat: I don't think this is below parallel.
Bench: In most federations there will probably be a 'Press' command in the competition (like your friend did on one of your attempts). The barbell has to be motionless on your chest before the referee gives the command. So you should do some singles with 1-2sec pauses to train for that.
Deadlift: In IPF, you are not allowed to drop your Deadlift like that. You need to hold onto the bar until it is controlled back on the ground.

I jope this doesn't come off douchy, I am just trying to help so that you can prepaire yourself accordingly.
"Withstand. Suffer. Live as you must now live. There will, one day, be answer to this." ||| "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
March 05 2018 17:44 GMT
#4017
On March 06 2018 00:41 Malinor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2018 17:38 L_Master wrote:
Had some fun getting after it at our little mock meet today. Need to remember to film widescreen lol

https://youtu.be/QKGhwzlcr2w


Pretty satisfied overall with the results...aside from my comedic untrained squat. Think I'm going to go ahead and start actually squatting now, even if it means I can only get in 2-3 solid workouts a week on the bike. That part is embarrassing. More thoughts on video description.

Did not realize how awkward I am dropping the weight after a deadlift. Have to fix that for the camera

Lifts from my friends:
+ Show Spoiler +

https://youtu.be/G3oIbg0ZfLw
https://youtu.be/j1sFWagPqqE
https://youtu.be/2nwpJbItSHs

The first guy is honestly kinda crazy. He's been in the gym twice. Sedentary guy. Almost benches 185.


You made some really nice progress in the Bench and the Deadlift, especially the Deadlift.
Just some things to note for your first real competition (as I recall you wanted to do one):

Squat: I don't think this is below parallel.
Bench: In most federations there will probably be a 'Press' command in the competition (like your friend did on one of your attempts). The barbell has to be motionless on your chest before the referee gives the command. So you should do some singles with 1-2sec pauses to train for that.
Deadlift: In IPF, you are not allowed to drop your Deadlift like that. You need to hold onto the bar until it is controlled back on the ground.

I jope this doesn't come off douchy, I am just trying to help so that you can prepaire yourself accordingly.

Did we watch the same squat? Lol looked good to me
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
March 05 2018 18:14 GMT
#4018
On March 06 2018 02:44 decafchicken wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 06 2018 00:41 Malinor wrote:
On March 03 2018 17:38 L_Master wrote:
Had some fun getting after it at our little mock meet today. Need to remember to film widescreen lol

https://youtu.be/QKGhwzlcr2w


Pretty satisfied overall with the results...aside from my comedic untrained squat. Think I'm going to go ahead and start actually squatting now, even if it means I can only get in 2-3 solid workouts a week on the bike. That part is embarrassing. More thoughts on video description.

Did not realize how awkward I am dropping the weight after a deadlift. Have to fix that for the camera

Lifts from my friends:
+ Show Spoiler +

https://youtu.be/G3oIbg0ZfLw
https://youtu.be/j1sFWagPqqE
https://youtu.be/2nwpJbItSHs

The first guy is honestly kinda crazy. He's been in the gym twice. Sedentary guy. Almost benches 185.


You made some really nice progress in the Bench and the Deadlift, especially the Deadlift.
Just some things to note for your first real competition (as I recall you wanted to do one):

Squat: I don't think this is below parallel.
Bench: In most federations there will probably be a 'Press' command in the competition (like your friend did on one of your attempts). The barbell has to be motionless on your chest before the referee gives the command. So you should do some singles with 1-2sec pauses to train for that.
Deadlift: In IPF, you are not allowed to drop your Deadlift like that. You need to hold onto the bar until it is controlled back on the ground.

I jope this doesn't come off douchy, I am just trying to help so that you can prepaire yourself accordingly.

Did we watch the same squat? Lol looked good to me


The first two would have been red lighted I think. The last one I'm pretty confident was deep enough. From both feel and video, it was noticeably deeper than the first two.

I didn't know that about the deadlift, guess I won't make a habit of doing that.

As for the bench, the first one he gave the command the second one her forgot, and the third one I think he also forgot. I tried to take a conscious pause, but I guess when you really want to hit the weight what feels like a solid 1s pause at the bottom is almost constant motion in actuality

If I can get that squat up towards 3 plates, and confident I can go to depth and execute a good squat I'll be ready to do a competition. Likely that would be sometime around the September/October timeframe. Competing is always fun, and gives you that extra motivation to nail your training and keep it focused.
EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
Malinor
Profile Joined November 2008
Germany4758 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-03-06 21:42:15
March 06 2018 21:41 GMT
#4019
On March 06 2018 02:44 decafchicken wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 06 2018 00:41 Malinor wrote:
On March 03 2018 17:38 L_Master wrote:
Had some fun getting after it at our little mock meet today. Need to remember to film widescreen lol

https://youtu.be/QKGhwzlcr2w


Pretty satisfied overall with the results...aside from my comedic untrained squat. Think I'm going to go ahead and start actually squatting now, even if it means I can only get in 2-3 solid workouts a week on the bike. That part is embarrassing. More thoughts on video description.

Did not realize how awkward I am dropping the weight after a deadlift. Have to fix that for the camera

Lifts from my friends:
+ Show Spoiler +

https://youtu.be/G3oIbg0ZfLw
https://youtu.be/j1sFWagPqqE
https://youtu.be/2nwpJbItSHs

The first guy is honestly kinda crazy. He's been in the gym twice. Sedentary guy. Almost benches 185.


You made some really nice progress in the Bench and the Deadlift, especially the Deadlift.
Just some things to note for your first real competition (as I recall you wanted to do one):

Squat: I don't think this is below parallel.
Bench: In most federations there will probably be a 'Press' command in the competition (like your friend did on one of your attempts). The barbell has to be motionless on your chest before the referee gives the command. So you should do some singles with 1-2sec pauses to train for that.
Deadlift: In IPF, you are not allowed to drop your Deadlift like that. You need to hold onto the bar until it is controlled back on the ground.

I jope this doesn't come off douchy, I am just trying to help so that you can prepaire yourself accordingly.

Did we watch the same squat? Lol looked good to me


3rd one was probably deep, I agree. But with strict judges would have been red for downward motion (in IPF). It shouldnt happen in a local meet, but You never know... as you have experienced with your press outs in the last meet.

For squats, I am rather on the strict side
"Withstand. Suffer. Live as you must now live. There will, one day, be answer to this." ||| "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
March 07 2018 00:03 GMT
#4020
On March 07 2018 06:41 Malinor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 06 2018 02:44 decafchicken wrote:
On March 06 2018 00:41 Malinor wrote:
On March 03 2018 17:38 L_Master wrote:
Had some fun getting after it at our little mock meet today. Need to remember to film widescreen lol

https://youtu.be/QKGhwzlcr2w


Pretty satisfied overall with the results...aside from my comedic untrained squat. Think I'm going to go ahead and start actually squatting now, even if it means I can only get in 2-3 solid workouts a week on the bike. That part is embarrassing. More thoughts on video description.

Did not realize how awkward I am dropping the weight after a deadlift. Have to fix that for the camera

Lifts from my friends:
+ Show Spoiler +

https://youtu.be/G3oIbg0ZfLw
https://youtu.be/j1sFWagPqqE
https://youtu.be/2nwpJbItSHs

The first guy is honestly kinda crazy. He's been in the gym twice. Sedentary guy. Almost benches 185.


You made some really nice progress in the Bench and the Deadlift, especially the Deadlift.
Just some things to note for your first real competition (as I recall you wanted to do one):

Squat: I don't think this is below parallel.
Bench: In most federations there will probably be a 'Press' command in the competition (like your friend did on one of your attempts). The barbell has to be motionless on your chest before the referee gives the command. So you should do some singles with 1-2sec pauses to train for that.
Deadlift: In IPF, you are not allowed to drop your Deadlift like that. You need to hold onto the bar until it is controlled back on the ground.

I jope this doesn't come off douchy, I am just trying to help so that you can prepaire yourself accordingly.

Did we watch the same squat? Lol looked good to me


3rd one was probably deep, I agree. But with strict judges would have been red for downward motion (in IPF). It shouldnt happen in a local meet, but You never know... as you have experienced with your press outs in the last meet.

For squats, I am rather on the strict side


What is downward motion? I don't think I know that rule, and missing shit because you don't know the rules and haven't ingrained them would not be good.

Secondary question, more general training, any recommendations for what I should do training in a cut to minimize muscle loss; or should I just train similar to normal as long as I can recover?
EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
Prev 1 199 200 201 202 203 234 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O87
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason183
BRAT_OK 57
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15495
Artosis 824
Mini 237
ZZZero.O 87
Mind 79
Hyun 38
Bale 24
NaDa 23
Dota 2
qojqva2522
420jenkins596
League of Legends
Doublelift1774
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5968
Khaldor1310
Liquid`Hasu1031
MindelVK9
Other Games
summit1g6284
FrodaN1959
B2W.Neo712
byalli346
ToD215
Railgan38
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1286
BasetradeTV254
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream41
StarCraft 2
angryscii 33
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 49
• Adnapsc2 30
• Reevou 9
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 26
• Azhi_Dahaki23
• FirePhoenix8
• FT.aCt)Sony1
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie952
• Shiphtur262
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
3h 5m
Afreeca Starleague
14h 5m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
15h 5m
Monday Night Weeklies
20h 5m
Replay Cast
1d 3h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 14h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 15h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.