• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:22
CEST 22:22
KST 05:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)59Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7828 users

Dreamhack Summer [Day 3] - Page 302

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Tournaments
Post a Reply
Prev 1 300 301 302 303 304 368 Next
Starting on Page 125, asking if people are ok will result in bans.
Psotnik
Profile Joined August 2011
Poland14 Posts
June 18 2012 22:22 GMT
#6021
its 00:20 in Poland now, delaying finals was the most stupid idea ever, the 3 days everything was perfect, the quality strem, info on when everything starts, and such a big fart in the end, and its working day... damn mana, because of him im gonna die at work tommorow.
I play SC since Broodwar, never cheesed or allin - ed, sc2 as Terran, never even 111 allined, im like mother %$#^ SC - sait
Hassybaby
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United Kingdom10823 Posts
June 18 2012 22:23 GMT
#6022
On June 19 2012 07:21 hXc_ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 19 2012 07:20 Fishgle wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:19 JayJay_90 wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:17 mordk wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:15 MentalGNT wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:10 Candadar wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:09 Azarkon wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:06 maartendq wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:04 masterchip27 wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:01 maartendq wrote:
[quote]
I watched Starcraft without much idea of what does what. I had played the campaign a few times, but I mainly started watching it because I once saw a documentary about Starcraft being a popular competitive video game in South Korea.

I had a great time watching practically all the games on gomtv.net, grew really fond of tasteless as a caster (I still am, even though Artosis drowns him out way too much and Tasteless' passion for Starcraft 2 isn't on the same level as his passion for BW). I found out very quickly how the game functioned. The premise was also very easy: destroy the other player's base.

Like you said, in a MOBA game you have to know each of the heroes, and there tend to be a lot. Next there's also the items, critters that randomly seem to attack towers (what's their function?), gold etc. There's a lot of stuff you cannot know unless you play the game yourself, or do a ton of research. That's not good for a spectator sport. Football, tennis, basketball, hell even american football are all sports that are relatively easy to understand for people who are new to them. The finesse unfolds if you watch it a lot. It's not something I see happening with MOBA games, a genre which I personally find a bastardization of the RTS genre (since you basically only have to control one unit).


Empirically league of legends has had a higher magnitude of livestream viewers than sc2 recently, at many events. So, I wouldn't be too sure about that theorycrafting. If a game is popular to play, and has a good competitive scene, people will watch.

Well, it's a free and relatively casual game, with in-game stream support (hint HINT, blizzard?). It's got a way higher playerbase than SC2 as well, again, because it is free to play. If SC2's multiplayer were suddenly F2P, we'd see SC2 player number surge!


No, we won't. SC 2 started off with a player base of 1 million+ players in the NA. It's a tiny fraction of that - around 10,000-20,000 by my last log in to the NA server - who play online ladder matches. Competitive RTS games aren't that attractive to casual players, and it's the casual players who make up the bulk of MOBA viewers.


MOBA


Please stop using this term.

It's fucking retarded.

-The Society of People Who Undestand What MOBA Stands For

Can you explain what it is then? First result on "MOBA" into google is a site about LoL strategy. Aren't LoL, DOTA, HoN etc. MOBAs?

I'm not trolling. Genuine question.

MOBA is a term coined by LoL developers iirc, imo the problem with the term is it doesn't describe AT ALL what happens in a DotA/LoL/HoN type of game, so I hate it.

Multiplayer Online Battle Arena?? WTF is that?!

There needs to be a term to describe that kind of games though. Give me a better one and I'm never gonna use moba again

Defense of the Ancients. Where each team defends their respective Ancients (bases). Quite simple really.

so even more simply it is tower defence, right?


The Ancients aren't towers though :D
"These guys are mindfucking me into a sex coma" | "Mayonnaise is a must-have lubricant when performing necrophilia"
Deckkie
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Netherlands1595 Posts
June 18 2012 22:23 GMT
#6023
On June 19 2012 07:20 Fishgle wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 19 2012 07:19 JayJay_90 wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:17 mordk wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:15 MentalGNT wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:10 Candadar wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:09 Azarkon wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:06 maartendq wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:04 masterchip27 wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:01 maartendq wrote:
On June 19 2012 06:53 Slardar wrote:
[quote]

You have to know what each individual hero does or is at least capable of to have some strategic grasp as well as a basic clue. (e.g. who is on what team?) Imagine watching Starcraft with no idea what the units did, all you can assume is one team shooting or attacking the other.

Give yourself time and a chance, if you learn the basics it will open up to you.

I watched Starcraft without much idea of what does what. I had played the campaign a few times, but I mainly started watching it because I once saw a documentary about Starcraft being a popular competitive video game in South Korea.

I had a great time watching practically all the games on gomtv.net, grew really fond of tasteless as a caster (I still am, even though Artosis drowns him out way too much and Tasteless' passion for Starcraft 2 isn't on the same level as his passion for BW). I found out very quickly how the game functioned. The premise was also very easy: destroy the other player's base.

Like you said, in a MOBA game you have to know each of the heroes, and there tend to be a lot. Next there's also the items, critters that randomly seem to attack towers (what's their function?), gold etc. There's a lot of stuff you cannot know unless you play the game yourself, or do a ton of research. That's not good for a spectator sport. Football, tennis, basketball, hell even american football are all sports that are relatively easy to understand for people who are new to them. The finesse unfolds if you watch it a lot. It's not something I see happening with MOBA games, a genre which I personally find a bastardization of the RTS genre (since you basically only have to control one unit).


Empirically league of legends has had a higher magnitude of livestream viewers than sc2 recently, at many events. So, I wouldn't be too sure about that theorycrafting. If a game is popular to play, and has a good competitive scene, people will watch.

Well, it's a free and relatively casual game, with in-game stream support (hint HINT, blizzard?). It's got a way higher playerbase than SC2 as well, again, because it is free to play. If SC2's multiplayer were suddenly F2P, we'd see SC2 player number surge!


No, we won't. SC 2 started off with a player base of 1 million+ players in the NA. It's a tiny fraction of that - around 10,000-20,000 by my last log in to the NA server - who play online ladder matches. Competitive RTS games aren't that attractive to casual players, and it's the casual players who make up the bulk of MOBA viewers.


MOBA


Please stop using this term.

It's fucking retarded.

-The Society of People Who Undestand What MOBA Stands For

Can you explain what it is then? First result on "MOBA" into google is a site about LoL strategy. Aren't LoL, DOTA, HoN etc. MOBAs?

I'm not trolling. Genuine question.

MOBA is a term coined by LoL developers iirc, imo the problem with the term is it doesn't describe AT ALL what happens in a DotA/LoL/HoN type of game, so I hate it.

Multiplayer Online Battle Arena?? WTF is that?!

There needs to be a term to describe that kind of games though. Give me a better one and I'm never gonna use moba again

Defense of the Ancients. Where each team defends their respective Ancients (bases). Quite simple really.


I see what you did there

they should call is mini multiplayer online role playing game.
Always look on the bright side of life
Al Bundy
Profile Joined April 2010
7257 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-18 22:23:20
June 18 2012 22:23 GMT
#6024
On June 19 2012 07:21 hXc_ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 19 2012 07:20 Fishgle wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:19 JayJay_90 wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:17 mordk wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:15 MentalGNT wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:10 Candadar wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:09 Azarkon wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:06 maartendq wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:04 masterchip27 wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:01 maartendq wrote:
[quote]
I watched Starcraft without much idea of what does what. I had played the campaign a few times, but I mainly started watching it because I once saw a documentary about Starcraft being a popular competitive video game in South Korea.

I had a great time watching practically all the games on gomtv.net, grew really fond of tasteless as a caster (I still am, even though Artosis drowns him out way too much and Tasteless' passion for Starcraft 2 isn't on the same level as his passion for BW). I found out very quickly how the game functioned. The premise was also very easy: destroy the other player's base.

Like you said, in a MOBA game you have to know each of the heroes, and there tend to be a lot. Next there's also the items, critters that randomly seem to attack towers (what's their function?), gold etc. There's a lot of stuff you cannot know unless you play the game yourself, or do a ton of research. That's not good for a spectator sport. Football, tennis, basketball, hell even american football are all sports that are relatively easy to understand for people who are new to them. The finesse unfolds if you watch it a lot. It's not something I see happening with MOBA games, a genre which I personally find a bastardization of the RTS genre (since you basically only have to control one unit).


Empirically league of legends has had a higher magnitude of livestream viewers than sc2 recently, at many events. So, I wouldn't be too sure about that theorycrafting. If a game is popular to play, and has a good competitive scene, people will watch.

Well, it's a free and relatively casual game, with in-game stream support (hint HINT, blizzard?). It's got a way higher playerbase than SC2 as well, again, because it is free to play. If SC2's multiplayer were suddenly F2P, we'd see SC2 player number surge!


No, we won't. SC 2 started off with a player base of 1 million+ players in the NA. It's a tiny fraction of that - around 10,000-20,000 by my last log in to the NA server - who play online ladder matches. Competitive RTS games aren't that attractive to casual players, and it's the casual players who make up the bulk of MOBA viewers.


MOBA


Please stop using this term.

It's fucking retarded.

-The Society of People Who Undestand What MOBA Stands For

Can you explain what it is then? First result on "MOBA" into google is a site about LoL strategy. Aren't LoL, DOTA, HoN etc. MOBAs?

I'm not trolling. Genuine question.

MOBA is a term coined by LoL developers iirc, imo the problem with the term is it doesn't describe AT ALL what happens in a DotA/LoL/HoN type of game, so I hate it.

Multiplayer Online Battle Arena?? WTF is that?!

There needs to be a term to describe that kind of games though. Give me a better one and I'm never gonna use moba again

Defense of the Ancients. Where each team defends their respective Ancients (bases). Quite simple really.

so even more simply it is tower defence, right?

Well according to wikipedia, "The goal of tower defense games is to try to stop enemies from crossing a map by building towers which shoot at them as they pass." So dota can't be a tower defense game. Afaik one cannot build towers in dota.
o choro é livre
Latty
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany567 Posts
June 18 2012 22:23 GMT
#6025
this is ridicoulous...
"Nice, *claps* gogo kill kill, yeah bane speed, nice EU Power" Dimaga
pred470r
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Bulgaria3265 Posts
June 18 2012 22:23 GMT
#6026
On June 19 2012 07:22 AsymptoticClimax wrote:
guys I just broke my first official yawn of tonight. you just yawned didn't you?

No, but I'm about to fap and go to sleep if this takes any longer.
Shellshock
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States97277 Posts
June 18 2012 22:23 GMT
#6027
Dreamhack hired the NASL scheduling guy from season 1
Moderatorhttp://i.imgur.com/U4xwqmD.png
TL+ Member
FrogOfWar
Profile Joined March 2010
Germany1406 Posts
June 18 2012 22:23 GMT
#6028
On June 19 2012 07:21 Nordmo wrote:
Does anyone know who will be casting the finals?

DJ Wheat and Apollo or Incontrol and Khaldor?


Personally I prefer Incontrol and Khaldor they are so amazing together.


They said Wheat/dApollo earlier.
drooL
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United Kingdom2108 Posts
June 18 2012 22:23 GMT
#6029
It's getting kind of late Too bad. I'm doing other things anyways but I feel sorry for everyone who stayed up for this. Enjoy if you can, and if in doubt go to bed and get some good sleep. Cheers.
@nowSimon
Vadrigar
Profile Joined January 2011
Bulgaria2379 Posts
June 18 2012 22:23 GMT
#6030
On June 19 2012 07:22 JayJay_90 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 19 2012 07:20 Fishgle wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:19 JayJay_90 wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:17 mordk wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:15 MentalGNT wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:10 Candadar wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:09 Azarkon wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:06 maartendq wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:04 masterchip27 wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:01 maartendq wrote:
[quote]
I watched Starcraft without much idea of what does what. I had played the campaign a few times, but I mainly started watching it because I once saw a documentary about Starcraft being a popular competitive video game in South Korea.

I had a great time watching practically all the games on gomtv.net, grew really fond of tasteless as a caster (I still am, even though Artosis drowns him out way too much and Tasteless' passion for Starcraft 2 isn't on the same level as his passion for BW). I found out very quickly how the game functioned. The premise was also very easy: destroy the other player's base.

Like you said, in a MOBA game you have to know each of the heroes, and there tend to be a lot. Next there's also the items, critters that randomly seem to attack towers (what's their function?), gold etc. There's a lot of stuff you cannot know unless you play the game yourself, or do a ton of research. That's not good for a spectator sport. Football, tennis, basketball, hell even american football are all sports that are relatively easy to understand for people who are new to them. The finesse unfolds if you watch it a lot. It's not something I see happening with MOBA games, a genre which I personally find a bastardization of the RTS genre (since you basically only have to control one unit).


Empirically league of legends has had a higher magnitude of livestream viewers than sc2 recently, at many events. So, I wouldn't be too sure about that theorycrafting. If a game is popular to play, and has a good competitive scene, people will watch.

Well, it's a free and relatively casual game, with in-game stream support (hint HINT, blizzard?). It's got a way higher playerbase than SC2 as well, again, because it is free to play. If SC2's multiplayer were suddenly F2P, we'd see SC2 player number surge!


No, we won't. SC 2 started off with a player base of 1 million+ players in the NA. It's a tiny fraction of that - around 10,000-20,000 by my last log in to the NA server - who play online ladder matches. Competitive RTS games aren't that attractive to casual players, and it's the casual players who make up the bulk of MOBA viewers.


MOBA


Please stop using this term.

It's fucking retarded.

-The Society of People Who Undestand What MOBA Stands For

Can you explain what it is then? First result on "MOBA" into google is a site about LoL strategy. Aren't LoL, DOTA, HoN etc. MOBAs?

I'm not trolling. Genuine question.

MOBA is a term coined by LoL developers iirc, imo the problem with the term is it doesn't describe AT ALL what happens in a DotA/LoL/HoN type of game, so I hate it.

Multiplayer Online Battle Arena?? WTF is that?!

There needs to be a term to describe that kind of games though. Give me a better one and I'm never gonna use moba again

Defense of the Ancients. Where each team defends their respective Ancients (bases). Quite simple really.

sorry, that doesn't do the trick. you can't just take the name of one of those games, i might aswell call them dota clones then. and an ancient is not exactly a general term.


there is another term, if you read the previous pages you'd know. It's ARTS!
Chemist
Profile Joined November 2011
Austria127 Posts
June 18 2012 22:23 GMT
#6031
Sorry but DH is failing so hard.

Every US tournament is really late for us EU people so most of the time we cannot watch the final games. Now there's a tournament in EU and what happens? They start the final series after 0:22am on a Tuesday!!!!

No way to watch it live if you got a life and work...

Grow up DH, not only kiddys who can stay up all night would like to watch it live! So bad for E-sports.
Fishgle
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States2174 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-18 22:24:57
June 18 2012 22:23 GMT
#6032
On June 19 2012 07:21 hXc_ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 19 2012 07:20 Fishgle wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:19 JayJay_90 wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:17 mordk wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:15 MentalGNT wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:10 Candadar wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:09 Azarkon wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:06 maartendq wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:04 masterchip27 wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:01 maartendq wrote:
[quote]
I watched Starcraft without much idea of what does what. I had played the campaign a few times, but I mainly started watching it because I once saw a documentary about Starcraft being a popular competitive video game in South Korea.

I had a great time watching practically all the games on gomtv.net, grew really fond of tasteless as a caster (I still am, even though Artosis drowns him out way too much and Tasteless' passion for Starcraft 2 isn't on the same level as his passion for BW). I found out very quickly how the game functioned. The premise was also very easy: destroy the other player's base.

Like you said, in a MOBA game you have to know each of the heroes, and there tend to be a lot. Next there's also the items, critters that randomly seem to attack towers (what's their function?), gold etc. There's a lot of stuff you cannot know unless you play the game yourself, or do a ton of research. That's not good for a spectator sport. Football, tennis, basketball, hell even american football are all sports that are relatively easy to understand for people who are new to them. The finesse unfolds if you watch it a lot. It's not something I see happening with MOBA games, a genre which I personally find a bastardization of the RTS genre (since you basically only have to control one unit).


Empirically league of legends has had a higher magnitude of livestream viewers than sc2 recently, at many events. So, I wouldn't be too sure about that theorycrafting. If a game is popular to play, and has a good competitive scene, people will watch.

Well, it's a free and relatively casual game, with in-game stream support (hint HINT, blizzard?). It's got a way higher playerbase than SC2 as well, again, because it is free to play. If SC2's multiplayer were suddenly F2P, we'd see SC2 player number surge!


No, we won't. SC 2 started off with a player base of 1 million+ players in the NA. It's a tiny fraction of that - around 10,000-20,000 by my last log in to the NA server - who play online ladder matches. Competitive RTS games aren't that attractive to casual players, and it's the casual players who make up the bulk of MOBA viewers.


MOBA


Please stop using this term.

It's fucking retarded.

-The Society of People Who Undestand What MOBA Stands For

Can you explain what it is then? First result on "MOBA" into google is a site about LoL strategy. Aren't LoL, DOTA, HoN etc. MOBAs?

I'm not trolling. Genuine question.

MOBA is a term coined by LoL developers iirc, imo the problem with the term is it doesn't describe AT ALL what happens in a DotA/LoL/HoN type of game, so I hate it.

Multiplayer Online Battle Arena?? WTF is that?!

There needs to be a term to describe that kind of games though. Give me a better one and I'm never gonna use moba again

Defense of the Ancients. Where each team defends their respective Ancients (bases). Quite simple really.

so even more simply it is tower defence, right?

yeap. Multiplayer Team-based RPG Tower Defense, or MTRPGTD... just rolls off the tongue doesnt it?
aka ChillyGonzalo / GnozL
YandereQT
Profile Joined October 2011
United Kingdom7 Posts
June 18 2012 22:23 GMT
#6033
On June 19 2012 07:22 OlSpiced wrote:
Dreamhack, please fill the waiting time with something.
Interviews
Some Casters chatting
Porn
Some music besides the sc2 stuff
One IPL had K-Pop, and it was still better than that


Highlight reel would be quite nice
Candadar
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
2049 Posts
June 18 2012 22:23 GMT
#6034
On June 19 2012 07:22 JayJay_90 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 19 2012 07:20 Fishgle wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:19 JayJay_90 wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:17 mordk wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:15 MentalGNT wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:10 Candadar wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:09 Azarkon wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:06 maartendq wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:04 masterchip27 wrote:
On June 19 2012 07:01 maartendq wrote:
[quote]
I watched Starcraft without much idea of what does what. I had played the campaign a few times, but I mainly started watching it because I once saw a documentary about Starcraft being a popular competitive video game in South Korea.

I had a great time watching practically all the games on gomtv.net, grew really fond of tasteless as a caster (I still am, even though Artosis drowns him out way too much and Tasteless' passion for Starcraft 2 isn't on the same level as his passion for BW). I found out very quickly how the game functioned. The premise was also very easy: destroy the other player's base.

Like you said, in a MOBA game you have to know each of the heroes, and there tend to be a lot. Next there's also the items, critters that randomly seem to attack towers (what's their function?), gold etc. There's a lot of stuff you cannot know unless you play the game yourself, or do a ton of research. That's not good for a spectator sport. Football, tennis, basketball, hell even american football are all sports that are relatively easy to understand for people who are new to them. The finesse unfolds if you watch it a lot. It's not something I see happening with MOBA games, a genre which I personally find a bastardization of the RTS genre (since you basically only have to control one unit).


Empirically league of legends has had a higher magnitude of livestream viewers than sc2 recently, at many events. So, I wouldn't be too sure about that theorycrafting. If a game is popular to play, and has a good competitive scene, people will watch.

Well, it's a free and relatively casual game, with in-game stream support (hint HINT, blizzard?). It's got a way higher playerbase than SC2 as well, again, because it is free to play. If SC2's multiplayer were suddenly F2P, we'd see SC2 player number surge!


No, we won't. SC 2 started off with a player base of 1 million+ players in the NA. It's a tiny fraction of that - around 10,000-20,000 by my last log in to the NA server - who play online ladder matches. Competitive RTS games aren't that attractive to casual players, and it's the casual players who make up the bulk of MOBA viewers.


MOBA


Please stop using this term.

It's fucking retarded.

-The Society of People Who Undestand What MOBA Stands For

Can you explain what it is then? First result on "MOBA" into google is a site about LoL strategy. Aren't LoL, DOTA, HoN etc. MOBAs?

I'm not trolling. Genuine question.

MOBA is a term coined by LoL developers iirc, imo the problem with the term is it doesn't describe AT ALL what happens in a DotA/LoL/HoN type of game, so I hate it.

Multiplayer Online Battle Arena?? WTF is that?!

There needs to be a term to describe that kind of games though. Give me a better one and I'm never gonna use moba again

Defense of the Ancients. Where each team defends their respective Ancients (bases). Quite simple really.

sorry, that doesn't do the trick. you can't just take the name of one of those games, i might aswell call them dota clones then. and an ancient is not exactly a general term.


i might aswell call them dota clones then


That'll do then.
scudst0rm
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada1149 Posts
June 18 2012 22:23 GMT
#6035
WHEN ARE THEY GONNA GET TO THE FIREWORKS FACTORY?! *cries*
You're like a one ranger army comin' at me...
Fragile51
Profile Joined October 2011
Netherlands15767 Posts
June 18 2012 22:23 GMT
#6036
On June 19 2012 07:17 Nimic wrote:
Last time I checked the stream had 55k viewers. Now it has 35k. This could end up being a hard-earned lesson for Dreamhack.


Who woulda thunk, people close the stream when there is nothing to see. Still, this downtime without any filler is pretty terrible.
StarVe
Profile Joined June 2011
Germany13591 Posts
June 18 2012 22:24 GMT
#6037
It's oooon!
Get.Midikem
Profile Joined September 2006
Sweden312 Posts
June 18 2012 22:24 GMT
#6038
Yeah we are waiting. Will probebly start soon though. Now
Drigger
Profile Joined November 2011
254 Posts
June 18 2012 22:24 GMT
#6039
What a very poor ending to a good tournament.

DH dropped the ball here.
Anonymous_Coward
Profile Joined July 2011
United Kingdom1347 Posts
June 18 2012 22:24 GMT
#6040
Finally!
Prev 1 300 301 302 303 304 368 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 38m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
UpATreeSC 156
ProTech145
JuggernautJason64
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 197
Dewaltoss 111
Hyuk 71
Bale 17
Dota 2
Gorgc10068
League of Legends
Doublelift724
Counter-Strike
fl0m1615
Fnx 758
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King95
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4418
Khaldor1031
crisheroes1013
Liquid`Hasu577
Other Games
summit1g6805
FrodaN2313
shahzam407
KnowMe341
XBOCT294
C9.Mang0181
ArmadaUGS152
ZombieGrub30
Trikslyr26
CosmosSc2 22
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV273
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream45
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH355
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix6
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie992
• Shiphtur296
Upcoming Events
OSC
1h 38m
CranKy Ducklings
13h 38m
Online Event
14h 38m
FEL
19h 38m
AI Arena Tournament
20h 38m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
22h 38m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 13h
INu's Battles
1d 15h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 22h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 22h
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.