• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:34
CEST 10:34
KST 17:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BSL Season 23 Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10428 users

[G]NaNiwa's PvZ gateway expand into phoenix build - Page 5

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All
Sated
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
England4983 Posts
October 02 2012 00:30 GMT
#81
--- Nuked ---
Lazermonkey
Profile Joined June 2011
Sweden2176 Posts
October 02 2012 09:53 GMT
#82
On October 02 2012 09:30 Sated wrote:
Show nested quote +
Those who say that this build will struggle vs 7rr because you only get one stalker don't have a clue what they are talking about. Your are obviously not going to play this build vs a zerg who gets
1. quick gas
2. no expo
3. roach warren
And the thing is you will scout all of it, but even if you don't, only a fast gas is still a warning sign. You should just play another, more safe opening, because this will indeed lose to alot of different all ins if you don't react properly. If he tries to do a really sneaky build and delays his gas you WILL have the defense needed to beat the attack, so really, this is a 100% safe build as long as you only play vs later gas(by later gas I mean the very earliest when zerg first scout you going gateway first).

So what you're saying is that you need to change to a safer build if you scout early gas/no expansion because you won't be able to defend against an all-in... whilst also saying that those who say this build struggles against such all-ins "don't have a clue".

Did you even read what you wrote before you posted..?
People who are dying to early all-ins doesn't got a clue because they think this is a bad build because it isn't safe when it actually is. It doesn't take a nuclear scientist to figure that one stalker cannot kill 7 roaches + a bunch of lings no matter how good your micro is, however, if you ever get into a situation like that it's your own fault. It's impicit that you don't go for this build when scouting something like that. Blaming the build is just like blaming a 1 gate - 3 nexus build in PvT because you lost to a 11/11 with it.

I hate the concept of being safe. If you go 3-gate sentry expo with 5 cannons at your nat your are obviously not going to die in some early agression. However you are extremly unsafe in the midgame as you have invested so much in crap and took a late nexus.
Sated
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
England4983 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-02 10:43:43
October 02 2012 10:41 GMT
#83
--- Nuked ---
ineversmile
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States583 Posts
October 02 2012 17:38 GMT
#84
Moving forward...I haven't been playing for a few days, just to take a break from the game. I'm going to play some games today and see if I can perhaps find a practice partner to help me flesh out solutions to some of these more aggressive zerg openers.
Nostradamus.146@AM, Nostradamus.398@KR, Nostradamus.922@EU http://www.teamliquid.net/blog/ins
ineversmile
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States583 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-12 08:44:00
October 11 2012 23:32 GMT
#85
Playing some ladder: http://drop.sc/263796

I made serious errors in this game because it's the first I played today and I needed a warm-up. I missed probes regularly and didn't even put them into my natural gases until the mineral patches ran out at that base. Still, this is a pretty good example of how much you can do with this opening if you play it greedy and expand after just a stalker. With better mechanics, I would have had an even worker count for longer, and with more active Phoenix harass I could have gotten Queens earlier. Still, the main thing is that I knew what was going on at each point in the game.

What I want to point out from this game is just how strong Phoenixes are in the lategame against that Zerg deathball. Granted, he should have had at least one armor upgrade, but if you're actively trying to destroy the greater spire with prism harass then you can realistically pull off +3 weapons vs +1 armor for a large enough timing window that you can make 20+ Phoenixes and tear him apart. If he overmakes Corruptors and undermakes Broods, you can use Chargelots to push back the Infestors and give Phoenixes that breathing room they need to be able to kite the Corruptors without worry of being fungaled. If he undermakes Corruptors, your Phoenixes will kill his entire air army through the chain fungal because Brood are too slow to escape from Ranged Phoenixes (especially if you spread the Phoenixes out before engaging).

Anyways, this is how I play out lategame PvZ. I don't screw around with Mothership because I think that unit is more of a liability than an asset when it's in battles.

EDIT: I don't want to double post, so I'm going to edit in another replay. This is a game where I'm fully warmed up and my macro is much more watchable:

http://drop.sc/263871

This is how you handle a roach rush. My scout dies, but I know that the earliest he can start his gas is 4 minutes in, which is when he starts it. That means the earliest ling speed could happen is 7:15, and busts tend to happen within a minute of that timing. I am fortunate with him sacking an ovie to check my main because it significantly supply blocks him, but it shouldn't have been that rough if he had paid attention and rebuilt that ovie. Still, that ovie kill happens all the time, which is why I check towers to see if Ovies are taking the normal route or some other route, so I can hunt them down.

In any case, I don't build a Zealot, I delay my second Stalker for a 24 Nexus, then I take a greedy wall-off, and I even have 2 Stalkers way out of position at his natural doing some harassment. Still, because I have Stargate and he went Roaches instead of Ling Speed, I trade a Nexus and a minimal number of units for his aggression and he can't take a third while I have total map control.

This attack looks way more deadly with ling speed and Roaches, but he can't have both of them AND not take an earlier gas, so if I had seen an early gas I would have obviously made a more conservative/complete wall-off and kept the stalkers at home after poking around the watchtowers. Either way, this is how you handle the attack if it's more reactive and comes from a gas after your scout leaves. If you remain calm, sac your nexus, save your probes, and micro your stalkers, you will come away with both a worker lead and tech lead.
Nostradamus.146@AM, Nostradamus.398@KR, Nostradamus.922@EU http://www.teamliquid.net/blog/ins
JayPower
Profile Joined March 2011
Netherlands171 Posts
October 13 2012 13:46 GMT
#86
+ Show Spoiler +
On October 12 2012 08:32 ineversmile wrote:
Playing some ladder: http://drop.sc/263796

I made serious errors in this game because it's the first I played today and I needed a warm-up. I missed probes regularly and didn't even put them into my natural gases until the mineral patches ran out at that base. Still, this is a pretty good example of how much you can do with this opening if you play it greedy and expand after just a stalker. With better mechanics, I would have had an even worker count for longer, and with more active Phoenix harass I could have gotten Queens earlier. Still, the main thing is that I knew what was going on at each point in the game.

What I want to point out from this game is just how strong Phoenixes are in the lategame against that Zerg deathball. Granted, he should have had at least one armor upgrade, but if you're actively trying to destroy the greater spire with prism harass then you can realistically pull off +3 weapons vs +1 armor for a large enough timing window that you can make 20+ Phoenixes and tear him apart. If he overmakes Corruptors and undermakes Broods, you can use Chargelots to push back the Infestors and give Phoenixes that breathing room they need to be able to kite the Corruptors without worry of being fungaled. If he undermakes Corruptors, your Phoenixes will kill his entire air army through the chain fungal because Brood are too slow to escape from Ranged Phoenixes (especially if you spread the Phoenixes out before engaging).

Anyways, this is how I play out lategame PvZ. I don't screw around with Mothership because I think that unit is more of a liability than an asset when it's in battles.

EDIT: I don't want to double post, so I'm going to edit in another replay. This is a game where I'm fully warmed up and my macro is much more watchable:

http://drop.sc/263871

This is how you handle a roach rush. My scout dies, but I know that the earliest he can start his gas is 4 minutes in, which is when he starts it. That means the earliest ling speed could happen is 7:15, and busts tend to happen within a minute of that timing. I am fortunate with him sacking an ovie to check my main because it significantly supply blocks him, but it shouldn't have been that rough if he had paid attention and rebuilt that ovie. Still, that ovie kill happens all the time, which is why I check towers to see if Ovies are taking the normal route or some other route, so I can hunt them down.

In any case, I don't build a Zealot, I delay my second Stalker for a 24 Nexus, then I take a greedy wall-off, and I even have 2 Stalkers way out of position at his natural doing some harassment. Still, because I have Stargate and he went Roaches instead of Ling Speed, I trade a Nexus and a minimal number of units for his aggression and he can't take a third while I have total map control.

This attack looks way more deadly with ling speed and Roaches, but he can't have both of them AND not take an earlier gas, so if I had seen an early gas I would have obviously made a more conservative/complete wall-off and kept the stalkers at home after poking around the watchtowers. Either way, this is how you handle the attack if it's more reactive and comes from a gas after your scout leaves. If you remain calm, sac your nexus, save your probes, and micro your stalkers, you will come away with both a worker lead and tech lead.


Thanks for the replays, I enjoyed watching them. The game on Cloud Kingdom is how I always wanted pvz to be like from the protoss perspective. Lots of agression/harrasment rather than one or two timings attacks you rely on. I liked the heavy phoenix usage since he couldn't really afford a lot of hydras. I was constantly amazed how you won so many engagements, especially the ones at 19:40 and 24:10. I guess the upgrades helped a lot, you were quite a bit ahead in that. I think however that some storms wouldve turned the tieds even more in those fights though, especially since he had a lot of hydras. Extremely well played though nonetheless.

The game on daybreak was amazing. The fast 3rd was really smart, I will be trying that out in my games for sure. My goodness that lategame. It's amazing how good phoenix' are in high numbers and upgraded. I've always tried going storm heavy with zealots and immortals to prevent that whole gimmicky mothership/vortex play, but phoenix heavy seems so much stronger and harrasment oriented.

http://drop.sc/264190

Here's a replay on me trying that style I described. It is still kind of relieing on winning big engagements and its not nearly as good with harrasment as a phoenix heavy style. However I think there's still a lot of micro involved that can give you the edge, which I like.

If you have more replays I would love to see them, especially phoenix heavy play.
Jaypowersc2.com for Guides, Videos, Replays and Coaching
ineversmile
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States583 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-13 17:35:59
October 13 2012 17:03 GMT
#87
On October 13 2012 22:46 JayPower wrote:Thanks for the replays, I enjoyed watching them. The game on Cloud Kingdom is how I always wanted pvz to be like from the protoss perspective. Lots of agression/harrasment rather than one or two timings attacks you rely on. I liked the heavy phoenix usage since he couldn't really afford a lot of hydras. I was constantly amazed how you won so many engagements, especially the ones at 19:40 and 24:10. I guess the upgrades helped a lot, you were quite a bit ahead in that. I think however that some storms wouldve turned the tieds even more in those fights though, especially since he had a lot of hydras. Extremely well played though nonetheless.


Thanks. A big problem I have with this strategy is that it's very difficult to keep up with certain aspects of macro while controlling Phoenixes and a number of armies simultaneously. Building probes, stargate units, and robo units and hitting warp-ins isn't that difficult, but it's a real challenge to make sure that I'm also keeping optimal saturation, that I have the right number of gateways, etc. Usually when I take another base I try to just sim-city it with ~3 gates, which solves that problem--but sometimes I don't have the opportunity to do that or I just mess it up. It's hard. Fortunately, the flipside of this is that I see so many places to improve my play, even though I'm winning games. To me, that means that this strategy is (a) constantly helping me to get better and (b) strong enough to win games at the mid-master level when I'm bungling all kinds of attacks and having far from perfect macro.

The game on daybreak was amazing. The fast 3rd was really smart, I will be trying that out in my games for sure. My goodness that lategame. It's amazing how good phoenix' are in high numbers and upgraded. I've always tried going storm heavy with zealots and immortals to prevent that whole gimmicky mothership/vortex play, but phoenix heavy seems so much stronger and harrasment oriented.


When you think about it, the Phoenix is the ultimate late-game unit. They cost the same as Corruptors, they have the same range, and while they lose in a straight-up fight against Corruptors they are also way faster, so you dictate where and when the fights happen. And they way in which they interact with Infestors is much like the way that Ghosts and Templar interact; they both can trap and kill each other or trade themselves for a ton of energy off of the opposing caster. If you need to go harass a base, Phoenixes will kill all of the drones at a base, even if there are 5 spores around it--that late in the game, +armor and +shields will let them tank so much damage you can trade a couple Phoenixes for 20 drones easily and then get out with the rest.

I feel like we Protosses need to be doing what Terran does against the Zerg Deathball in the late game: Get a bunch of Stargates and mass basic air-to-air fighters, taking back the sky. With superior upgrades from chronoboost, this is totally possible, especially if you go snipe the Spire(s).

If you have more replays I would love to see them, especially phoenix heavy play.


I go Stargate in almost every single PvZ, but I try not to post bad games. A lot of games just come down to the zerg seeing a gateway opener and then doing something stupid because they have no idea what to do against non-FFE openers. And then there's the decent number of games that I botch because this is a really technical playstyle and I should probably play a warmup game each session (and I should stop playing when I'm tired!). I'll try to put up some more replays soon, though, since you're interested.

http://drop.sc/264190

Here's a replay on me trying that style I described. It is still kind of relieing on winning big engagements and its not nearly as good with harrasment as a phoenix heavy style. However I think there's still a lot of micro involved that can give you the edge, which I like.


EDIT: I just watched the replay. That was some pretty clean play on your part! I liked how smooth your transitions were. I agree you could have done more with your Phoenixes, but you were focusing more on establishing a third and macroing properly, and it's not like your Phoenixes didn't pay for themselves and change. It was cool to see this opening played out into a more standard midgame style with blink and a Robo, which I haven't seen in a while (because basically nobody opens this way and games are sparse).

I do think that blocking the first hatchery with a pylon is incorrect, though. It delays the Core too much. I'm cool with blocking the third base sometimes, but honestly I think you should just let them have the hatchery and take your expo fast as well. Since you can outright get away with an expo after one stalker, I think it hurts you more than it hurts them. At least, that's my take on the matter. Maybe you have some thoughts about this, too. Seems worth discussion.

EDIT #2: Oh yeah, and one other thing I noticed in your game: You banked a lot of chrono early. I think you could boost probes way more than you did.
Nostradamus.146@AM, Nostradamus.398@KR, Nostradamus.922@EU http://www.teamliquid.net/blog/ins
oOOoOphidian
Profile Joined January 2011
United States1402 Posts
October 13 2012 21:47 GMT
#88
On August 22 2012 05:27 ittron wrote:
A high-level protoss told me:
Going mass ling off your 2 bases upon realizing that protoss is not getting a core after gate (going gateway nexus) will win the game right off the bat. Zealot block doesn't matter, protoss simply can't have enough units to deal with it. The protoss might kill 20 lings and expand the wall-off but the result is inevitable. He is baffeled that zergs have not realized this.
Thoughts on that?

This appears to be true in my experience. If you don't get cannons after nexus or core right after gateway, and the zerg scouts you, they can easily start massing lings with whatever they opened and you'll lose your wall even if you try to reinforce it. That's why I would never recommend going Gate Nexus on any 2 player map. Even on a 4 player map, it's a risk if the zerg drone scouts you or their overlord sees you first.
Creator of sc2unmasked.com
ineversmile
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States583 Posts
October 14 2012 01:17 GMT
#89
On October 14 2012 06:47 oOOoOphidian wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 22 2012 05:27 ittron wrote:
A high-level protoss told me:
Going mass ling off your 2 bases upon realizing that protoss is not getting a core after gate (going gateway nexus) will win the game right off the bat. Zealot block doesn't matter, protoss simply can't have enough units to deal with it. The protoss might kill 20 lings and expand the wall-off but the result is inevitable. He is baffeled that zergs have not realized this.
Thoughts on that?

This appears to be true in my experience. If you don't get cannons after nexus or core right after gateway, and the zerg scouts you, they can easily start massing lings with whatever they opened and you'll lose your wall even if you try to reinforce it. That's why I would never recommend going Gate Nexus on any 2 player map. Even on a 4 player map, it's a risk if the zerg drone scouts you or their overlord sees you first.


Is there a reason why you're quoting a post from a month and a half ago? Also, this build is not a YufFE; it gets a Core and at least one stalker before expanding. You in the right thread, dude?
Nostradamus.146@AM, Nostradamus.398@KR, Nostradamus.922@EU http://www.teamliquid.net/blog/ins
oOOoOphidian
Profile Joined January 2011
United States1402 Posts
October 14 2012 06:02 GMT
#90
On October 14 2012 10:17 ineversmile wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 14 2012 06:47 oOOoOphidian wrote:
On August 22 2012 05:27 ittron wrote:
A high-level protoss told me:
Going mass ling off your 2 bases upon realizing that protoss is not getting a core after gate (going gateway nexus) will win the game right off the bat. Zealot block doesn't matter, protoss simply can't have enough units to deal with it. The protoss might kill 20 lings and expand the wall-off but the result is inevitable. He is baffeled that zergs have not realized this.
Thoughts on that?

This appears to be true in my experience. If you don't get cannons after nexus or core right after gateway, and the zerg scouts you, they can easily start massing lings with whatever they opened and you'll lose your wall even if you try to reinforce it. That's why I would never recommend going Gate Nexus on any 2 player map. Even on a 4 player map, it's a risk if the zerg drone scouts you or their overlord sees you first.


Is there a reason why you're quoting a post from a month and a half ago? Also, this build is not a YufFE; it gets a Core and at least one stalker before expanding. You in the right thread, dude?

Yes, I suppose it's off topic. I just think it's important to justify going gate core nexus instead of gate nexus, because many people try greedy gate nexus builds without realizing how easily punished it is.
Creator of sc2unmasked.com
ineversmile
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States583 Posts
October 14 2012 06:40 GMT
#91
No problem. I just thought you might have accidentally posted here, thinking it was another thread...happens to everyone sometimes.

I completely agree; I think that if you're going to open Gateway you shouldn't half-ass it. The core lets you do so much more, and it really speeds up the tech. You get a plenty good enough economy with a Core-->Nexus build if you just constantly make probes and boost 3-4 times.
Nostradamus.146@AM, Nostradamus.398@KR, Nostradamus.922@EU http://www.teamliquid.net/blog/ins
wOod LeaGue
Profile Joined June 2012
Australia15 Posts
October 18 2012 03:49 GMT
#92
Would just like to thank the OP for this guide, has done wonders to my PvZ
ineversmile
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States583 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-19 13:05:51
October 19 2012 11:03 GMT
#93
This is a variation on dealing with standard pool/hatch into reactive gas before third hatch (which I think is the correct/middle of the road zerg response to gateway openers). I respond with a faster robo and delayed double stargate:

http://drop.sc/266044

This should be a pretty good example of how to contain the Infestors repeatedly with Phoenixes+Obs in a macro game. I even botch it at ~22:30 and throw away 15 Phoenixes, but I kill a couple of them and keep their energy pool low. I shouldn't be this far ahead throughout the game, but because he goes Mutas, that puts him down over 1k/1k (because they basically get roflstomped) and his ground army was much more manageable.

I don't feel like this composition/style really wants to invest supply in Colossi, but I might start adding a Robo Bay in as I take the 4th to get Obs and Prism speed. This isn't the first time I've done Robo-->2xStargate, but I still haven't refined the timings and gas spending. This is kind of backwards for me; I'm accustomed to going Stargate-->double Forge-->Charge-->Robo-->1-2 extra Stargates.

EDIT: Here's another game against standard 15pool/16hatch into a reactive gas after scouting the Gateway opening. He doesn't try to pull any Muta crap, though, and instead techs to Hive. This is how I try to handle that situation:

http://drop.sc/266059

Because I'm essentially playing Muta/Ling as Protoss, I can just out-maneuver Broodlord/Infestor/Corruptor all day long. No, I don't always get to do as much damage to my opponent's tech, but they can't be guarding their tech and their new expos. This is what happens when they set up shop at their fourth and the main+natural are exposed.
Nostradamus.146@AM, Nostradamus.398@KR, Nostradamus.922@EU http://www.teamliquid.net/blog/ins
JayPower
Profile Joined March 2011
Netherlands171 Posts
October 19 2012 20:39 GMT
#94
Thanks again for the replays. I almost couldn't believe you won the game on cloud kingdom after your phoenix/warp prism harrasment started relatively late. But very well done overall. I really thought that this style was only possible if you were able to do at least some harrasment in the early-game with the phoenix.

The game on ohana was quite inspirational. Lots of things going, lost of unit compositions that seem effiecient. For example the addition of the voidrays with your harrasment is really smart since he doesn't really have anything to do about the voidray with the huge amount of phoenix around it (and the observer ofc, very important). I also need to get in the habbit of using warpprisms with my phoenix. I often time have that the zergs are turtling with just infestors and zerglings, some +1 zealots would do wonders for my harrasment.

I have some innovating replays as well of a phoenix heavy style but I do it quite different. I stay on 1 stargate for a long time but get the fleat beacon very early. I really feel the extra range increases my harrasment potential.

http://drop.sc/266143

Here is a game that is quite straighforward about the style im using right now. I think however that I should either add more stalkers or immortals since I lost some ground armies due to my opponent's roach heavy composition.

http://drop.sc/265017

This game is a good example of what happens when a zerg tries to keep his infestor count similair to your phoenix count; He won't have any gas to make anything else but zergling for the most part and will still not stand a chance against phoenix that are spread out.
Jaypowersc2.com for Guides, Videos, Replays and Coaching
ineversmile
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States583 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-20 01:25:57
October 20 2012 01:24 GMT
#95
On October 20 2012 05:39 JayPower wrote:
Thanks again for the replays. I almost couldn't believe you won the game on cloud kingdom after your phoenix/warp prism harrasment started relatively late. But very well done overall. I really thought that this style was only possible if you were able to do at least some harrasment in the early-game with the phoenix.


I think harassment is really just there to keep your opponent from doing outrageous things. Most people who get Phoenixes in PvZ think of them as purely harassment tools, with the potential to counter Mutas. They get a Void or two and a handful of Phoenix, but then they never use the stargate for more than a stepping stool towards making a Mothership. But if protoss plays the way that you and I play, where Phoenixes are a central unit to the army, then that completely changes the equation. You don't actually have to do damage with them; you only need to do that if your opponent is cutting corners. Otherwise, they're dangerous because of their potential; the threat of picking up all the infestors or picking up half the roaches in an engagement. And later, they can't actually go for a Hive-tech Broodlord army without seriously respecting the Phoenixes. It's like terrans getting ghosts in TvP; they're mainly a counter to HTs and Archons, but they're still good enough against everything else that terran always wants to get them, eventually.

The game on ohana was quite inspirational. Lots of things going, lost of unit compositions that seem effiecient. For example the addition of the voidrays with your harrasment is really smart since he doesn't really have anything to do about the voidray with the huge amount of phoenix around it (and the observer ofc, very important). I also need to get in the habbit of using warpprisms with my phoenix. I often time have that the zergs are turtling with just infestors and zerglings, some +1 zealots would do wonders for my harrasment.


I think you should consider getting more +weapons upgrades for your ground army. Shields are awesome, too, but if your army is predominantly chargelots, boosting DPS gives a massive positive effect to your ground army. This is part of why I go double forge, although I end up getting armor first, usually because it's cheaper and I'm always spending a lot of gas. But that doesn't mean it's correct. Ideally, I want to go +1 weapons, +1 shields, and then get a twilight and second forge in time to start +2/0/+2. Nevertheless, I think +weapons is probably the most important upgrade for ground units because the army is basically chargelot/immortal, and i think hydras and infested terrans are the main motivation to prioritize armor/shields because they're the only ranged dps machines zerg has.

I have some innovating replays as well of a phoenix heavy style but I do it quite different. I stay on 1 stargate for a long time but get the fleat beacon very early. I really feel the extra range increases my harrasment potential.

http://drop.sc/266143

Here is a game that is quite straighforward about the style im using right now. I think however that I should either add more stalkers or immortals since I lost some ground armies due to my opponent's roach heavy composition.


Good lord, so that's what it's like to kill almost all of your opponent's overlords. I keep meaning to try that, but its so awesome to see it in action. I think the only thing you could have done to dominate this game even more is to have a little bit better vision of incoming attacks on your 4th and to cannon it a bit. It's not like you even needed to do that, though. This was disgusting; you beat this guy into oblivion. I know I've had some really awesome wins with this style, but I haven't been able to kill all of the infestors and then a majority of the overlords before a remax. That's like a combo finish!

Nice overlord hunting with the watchtower in the beginning, by the way.

http://drop.sc/265017

This game is a good example of what happens when a zerg tries to keep his infestor count similair to your phoenix count; He won't have any gas to make anything else but zergling for the most part and will still not stand a chance against phoenix that are spread out.


Really nice spread on the Phoenixes, this game. I think you were a bit fortunate that your opponent didn't build infestors as fast as he could have--he waited until pathogen glands finished. Even then, though...you did so much damage, and he made so many lings (and that roach warren) in the beginning, he was just so far behind all game. Which is to your credit, and also to the credit of this opening.

There were times in this game where you were fighting with 1/0/3 zealots against 1/2 zerglings. It wasn't bad, by any means, but this is what made me notice that you don't get +2 weapons for your ground.
Nostradamus.146@AM, Nostradamus.398@KR, Nostradamus.922@EU http://www.teamliquid.net/blog/ins
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 26m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 3137
Hyuk 276
Horang2 153
Shinee 80
Hyun 67
Hm[arnc] 59
Killer 53
ggaemo 53
sorry 45
Snow 44
[ Show more ]
Bale 33
ZergMaN 28
Bonyth 19
JYJ 15
League of Legends
JimRising 587
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King78
Other Games
summit1g8705
ArmadaUGS77
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick766
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream180
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 9
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2349
League of Legends
• Lourlo1523
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1h 26m
INu's Battles
3h 26m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
6h 26m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
10h 26m
BSL Open Qualifier
10h 26m
Replay Cast
14h 26m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 1h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 2h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 7h
Replay Cast
1d 14h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.